The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2002, 09:16 AM   #1
Merigrin
Pile O'Bones

Merigrin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Power of the One Ring

From the way sauron was portrayed in the film it made me think... the Ring brings long life and invisability, so how come during the battle sauron wore it but didnt become invisable? Does it work differnetly for him because he made it and if so why does it make the other wearers invisable and not him?
When reading the books it never really crossed my mind weather he'd be seen or not.

"Ai! ai!" wailed Legolas. "A balrog! A balrog is come!" FotR

"Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasent surprise!"? No, indeed! He said:"Get up, you tom-fool of a Took!" Pippin, TTT.
Merigrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 09:21 AM   #2
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The ring does not make you invisible in the way we think of it.
Instead, it moves you into the shadowworld, which we cannot see. That is why it seems like you become invisible. The nazgūl became these wraiths because they wore their rings so long, that it turned them into the shadow world, under Sauron's rule.
He is invisible, in the movie, but he wears an armour so it seems that he has a body. Like the nazgūl, who wear black robes so it seems like they have a body.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:32 AM   #3
Merigrin
Pile O'Bones

Merigrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You know that is pretty obvious isnt it? I didnt think to connect the wraiths with him, its very confusing having frodo/etc dissapear and then the wraith's being invisable yet able to disguise themselves so to be seen. So one part of you thinks invisable with no trace, beacuse of it being the one and the other part thinks that the wraiths souls have been taken but their (invisable)form is still there. I'm talking myself in circles here. *lies down*

"Ai! ai!" wailed Legolas. "A balrog! A balrog is come!" FotR

"Did he say: "Hullo, Pippin! This is a pleasent surprise!"? No, indeed! He said:"Get up, you tom-fool of a Took!" Pippin, TTT.
Merigrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 03:40 PM   #4
Karston

Sting

I just had to add something. The ring, as mentioned in the book, has power that only Sauron himself can wield. What this power is or what these powers are in fullness is mostly left up for the imagination of the reader. So one point I might raise right now is that, why would the effect of the ring be the same on someone who is unable to wield it, as opposed to someone(Sauron) who is able to wield it ? As I mentioned, the power of the ring is not said to be exactly something but just that Sauron invested his life force into the ring and is therefore the only one who truly understands the depth of the ring. A second point is that since there is more power to the ring than just the feature of making the wearer invisible, maybe invisibility is the only noticeable (immediately atleast) effect on the powerless user. ..... maybe ?
Old 05-12-2002, 05:55 PM   #5
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks Karston, I think that that is a big part of it.

Question: Why did Frodo's clothes disapear while Sauron and the Wraith's did not?
Old 05-12-2002, 07:19 PM   #6
Karston

Pipe

Thank you Arwen Imladris

Why Frodo's clothes disappeared and Saurons didn't ---> That was one thing I forgot to mention. I was going to point that out also. My answer is the same as what I proposed previous. The power of the ring was only to be wielded by Sauron. Maybe Sauron simply wanted his armor to show, to spread fear maybe(?). Once again I would say it is left up to the readers imagination. If someone else has further insight, I would love to know. I admit that my knowledge of the ring and its history is very limited.