The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2002, 08:36 PM   #1
RiderOfRohan
Animated Skeleton

RiderOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Favorite LoTr character

I know there a probably a lot of these threads,BUT who's your favorite lord of the rings character???

Mine is either The Mouth Of Sauron, The White Rider, or the Nazgul.

I feel so uninspired. Mind Altering drugs, that's what Ineed!
RiderOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:40 PM   #2
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

Aragorn in Bree as Strider.
Old 08-02-2002, 09:56 PM   #3
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I've always thought Faramir was pretty cool. Even though he isn't talked about much, I've always thought that Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth was also a cool character.
Old 08-03-2002, 05:32 AM   #4
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Gandalf is my fave character from both LOTR and The Hobbit. He has such wisdom and sense of humour. I bet he was Tolkien's favorite too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2002, 06:48 AM   #5
Anunia
Haunting Spirit

Anunia has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I can't decide...

I like Frodo for his sacrifice and everything...
I like Aragorn.
I like Gandalf because he is so wise...
I like Faramir - don't ask me why...

Dream the impossible, because dreams do come true.
Anunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 07:01 AM   #6
Wil_alseen

Pipe

Gandalf for his wisdom and savoir-faire. I have ever been enchanted by his character and its intricacy. The transition from Grey to White and the change it wrought in him makes me ponder on the nature of people in reality and their life journeys. Odysseys if you will. Plus, in a very real way, Gandalf is most akin to me. And the quote used to describe wizards might lend itself here.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to answer"

That was from the top of the head, so be at peace if it is not completely accurate.

And for pure fantastical character? Glorfindel I choose. The Elf who was thrown out of the movie, the hero of Gondolin and the epitome of what I imagine a high elf to be.

So, I play favourites with two, though there are different reasons for both.

~Wil.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:04 AM   #7
Wil_alseen

Thumbs up

Faugh! Answer in the quote should be Anger. This teaches me that I should not post when beleaguered by sleep and not concentrating on the task at hand.

~Wil.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:20 AM   #8
Anunia
Haunting Spirit

Anunia has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I also like very much Eowyn. She is so brave... She is the only female character that chooses to fight for ME...

Dream the impossible, because dreams do come true.
Anunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 07:25 AM   #9
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Those were two different Glorfindels, Wil_alseen.

What about Galadriel? She fought for Middle-earth, too.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:38 AM   #10
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Ssssssaaaaaaammmmmmm!!!!!!! Loyalty is very important to him, which is good, because it's very important in the quest. But, I also like (yes, I'm going to jump on the bandwagon) Éowyn. She's so determined and she kicks butt, too, which is very cool.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 08:11 AM   #11
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I have a disturbing feeling that each time I respond to this sort of thread I give a different answer!!!!!
Eowyn was once my favourite but isn't quite any longer, although I value her resilience, courage and sorrow.
Aragorn because he is both healer and warrior really...strong yet gentle and kind.
Gimli partly because of a friend, partly because he's sweet and loyal...and Sam for his humour and sturdiness.
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 12:30 PM   #12
The Balrog-Durin's Bane
Pile O'Bones

The Balrog-Durin's Bane has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Balrog-Durin's Bane
Pipe

My favorite charecter is of course gimli. Id think hed be the last one(besides lego) to corrupt to the ring's power. In fact I dont think he ever would, it would probably be "GIVE ME THE MITHRIL COAT IT SHOULD BE MINE!"
The Balrog-Durin's Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 02:44 PM   #13
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Balrog Durin's Bane. A memory of a time when there were REAL baddies, and REAL heros to conquer them. Up the Elven Warriars and Fathers of Men!!
Old 08-03-2002, 11:39 PM   #14
Shadow of Udûn
Animated Skeleton

Shadow of Udûn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir is my fave.
He's not the the most cool, but he is the most easy to relate to character. I love it how he redeems himself in the end and tries to save the hobbits. I actually felt more sad when he died than when Gandalf did. Gandalf you kind of expect to sacrifice himself because he's such a good character, but Boromir had to fight his own nature - and he won, and died like a hero. Onya, Boromir.
Old 08-04-2002, 12:28 AM   #15
suicidal elf chick
Shade of Carn Dûm

suicidal elf chick has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I have three favorite characters.
#1: Aragorn, because he is so cool! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
#2: Eowyn, because she kills the Witch King
#3: Boromir, because I love the bit in the end, not because he dies, but because he screws up and tries to make it up to them and ends up dying. I've never revealed this to anyone, but I cry whenever I read about him dying, or see him dying. If you laugh at me, I will hate you forever and hopefully kill you when I become an assasin when I grow up. Just kidding, but don't make fun of me. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
"Feeling like a freak on a leash, feeling like I have no release. How many times have I felt diseased? Nothing in my life is free, is free.... Sometimes I cannot take this place, sometimes it's my life I can taste." - Korn 'Freak on a Leash'

Who are you?
suicidal elf chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 01:49 AM   #16
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

To me, this is probably the hardest question ever.
I love Merry and Pippin! Yet I also like Frodo. Then there's Eowyn who I can relate to most and shes just real interesting to me. Yet then there's Gollum/Smeagol who I also love.
Its to hard for me to pick just one favorite and it just depends on how I feel. I guess though, if I had to pick at the moment, it would be between Merry and Gollum.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 03:38 AM   #17
Adutalathion

Eye

Mine would have to be Sam or Aragorn.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:11 AM   #18
TwilightPainter

Sting

I`ve liked Aragorn since I first read the Prancing Pony chapter. I really liked the idea of a king in exile...think it`s kinda mysterious.

I also like Gollum-come on, how can you NOT like Gollum? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And of course, Arwen-partly because she married Aragorn
Old 08-04-2002, 11:46 AM   #19
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
yay! i like gollum too! and bill the pony,and shadowfax, snowmane,arod and all the other horses/ponies.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:01 AM   #20
Morima
Haunting Spirit

Morima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morima Send a message via MSN to Morima
Silmaril

Quote:
I also like Gollum-come on, how can you NOT like Gollum? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I so totally agree. He's such a special caracter!

But my favourite is Saruman. He's very fascintaing.

It's cool to see that people have so different choice in favourites. In lots of books and stories, the favourite characters are so obvious, but LotR isn't like that. That indicates that they have varying personalities, just like ordinary people, even though the usually are either good or bad (and even that isn't defined; think of Saruman and not least Gollum).

Aki Benetah.
Morima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 07:07 AM   #21
Celebmundoiel
Animated Skeleton

Celebmundoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I like Legolas. I just love the elf, so like my other favorites are Galadriel and Celeborn. I find elf ears totally cute.
Roaming in the night through the shadows. You cannot hear me, you cannot see me. I am as agile as a cat. As I run I am low to the ground. I climb trees in a second and run on the branches as if they were the earth’s surface. My appearance is deceitful, I can take life as well as spare. I am Celebmundoiel.
Celebmundoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 07:10 AM   #22
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Wow, quite a few people like the nasties. I don't think that's what Tolkien was going for, but that's okay!
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:14 AM   #23
Morima
Haunting Spirit

Morima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morima Send a message via MSN to Morima
White-Hand

It's impossible to say what he intended. But he certainly made alot of the bad guy characters cool, and as long a character has some story and personality, I like it, bad guy or not.

Whoa, Nevfeniel! That's a thousand posts. Congratulations!

Aki Benetah.
Morima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 07:19 AM   #24
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

AND THIS IS 1001! *draws deep breath* YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! *throws confetti, then sees others looking at her strangely* Sorry.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:23 PM   #25
Lady_Galadriel
Wight

Lady_Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady_Galadriel
The Eye

My fav character is aragorn. i just love the way he is so faithfull to frodo, and looks out for the hobbits and the ret of the fellowship... Also i think the way he can speak in tongues is cool. he is mortal afterall

The Nazgul are also really cool, kinda creepy, but still cool!
Old 08-07-2002, 11:49 PM   #26
araukaroch_the_elf

Question

*takes a deep breath*Ummm... my favorite characters are Boromir(don't tease me, but I cry when I see him die.*gives other Boromir-death-cry-person a high five*) Legolas, Sam, Pippin, Arwen, Aragorn, and Eowyn
Old 08-08-2002, 12:07 AM   #27
araukaroch_the_elf

Question

*takes a deep breath*Ummm... my favorite characters are Boromir(don't tease me, but I cry when I see him die.*gives other Boromir-death-cry-person a high five*) Legolas, Sam, Pippin, Arwen, Aragorn, and Eowyn
Old 08-08-2002, 02:41 AM   #28
suicidal elf chick
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

*hugs Lady Alagthule after returning the high five* Yay! At least I know I'm not alone! I also like Sauron, cuz he's cool!
"Feeling like a freak on a leash, feeling like I have no release. How many times have I felt diseased? Nothing in my life is free, is free.... Sometimes I cannot take this place, sometimes it's my life I can taste." - Korn 'Freak on a Leash'

Who are you?
Old 08-14-2002, 09:56 PM   #29
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Shield

Fav Characters: Eowyn, Legolas, Faramir, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Gandalf, Treebeard, Galadriel, Quickbeam, Frodo, Celeborn, Glorifindel, Aragorn, and so on......and so on.......... Okay, I guess I have to say that I LIKE EVERYONE in LOTR!! Sorry, I just do. I even like Gollum!! I mean, come on!! How could you not?! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

---------------
"The doom lies in yourself, not in oyur name."
-Guindor to Turin
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:53 PM   #30
Boromir's Lady
Pile O'Bones

Boromir's Lady has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love all the characters - but I have to agree with the other's on the Boromir scene!
~*Have you seen it, Aragorn? The white tower of Ecthelion glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?*~
Boromir's Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 07:11 AM   #31
suicidal elf chick
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Woooo, Boromir's Lady, we all rock, because we seem to be the only sensitive people here. Hmph, and bah to you insenx=sitive people who don't think it's horribly tragic when Boromir dies!

Who are you?
Old 09-02-2002, 09:59 PM   #32
Samwise_Gamgee
Haunting Spirit

Samwise_Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

DUH!!! Samwise Gamgee is the best ever!!! Gotta problem with that?! Deal with it! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2002, 05:34 AM   #33
Elven Mistress
Wight

Elven Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I LOVE Pippin...he's so great! He's funny and cute (yes, I'm talking in book character - not actor) and in his own unique way he's innocent and just a hobbit throughout all three books! Anyone who knows me well knows that i LOVE Pip...he's definatly the best char!!!!!!!!

--Elven Mistress-- [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

P.S. Yeah, i was hysterically (sp?) crying when Boromir died, but i cry about everything - i also cried in the second book when Frodo "died"...
Old 09-22-2002, 02:47 PM   #34
Laurelin
Animated Skeleton

Laurelin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Laurelin
Boots

It has to Sam and Tom Bombadil. There both so COOL!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2002, 11:38 PM   #35
Keeper of the Feet of Melkor
Animated Skeleton

Keeper of the Feet of Melkor has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Legolas,
Because...he uses a bow!
Old 09-28-2002, 08:16 AM   #36
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

WHOOP WHOOP Lady Alagthule, and Elfchick!!!!! To the sappy boromir fans i give a huge cheer!!!! i love/hate the part when he dies. i have never cried for a movie but that was the closest i've ever come.

OH OH and SAM i love the under-appreciated heroes!!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 28, 2002: Message edited by: Lady_Báin ]
Old 09-28-2002, 10:01 AM   #37
Nevtarmawen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Nevtarmawen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My favorite characters are Legolas, Sam, Aragorn,Eowyn, and Gollum
GOLLUM ROCKS!!!!!! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2003, 05:22 PM   #38
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My absolute favourite has to be Galadriel. Otherwise, I like Pippin, Gollum and Boromir. Pippin because he's funny and adorable, Boromir because he's so strong willed and kind to pippin and he's a really cool anti-hero, Gollum cause he's so horribly mistreated and I feel so sorry for him!
Old 05-15-2003, 06:21 PM   #39
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

there are so many!

To start, right off the bat I'd have to say Frodo and Merry.. then there's Pippin. Faramir is awesome, and so is Eowyn.
I also like Glorfindel a lot too, he did after all save Frodo (with the help of Elrond and Gandalf at the ford) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 04:16 AM   #40
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Denethor. Though anyone who sees any of my posts should know that by now without needing to ask me [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I also have a thing for Strider. And Bill Ferny.