The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #2521
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I don't know what happened, but I tried for THREE hours to get on the Downs for my vote. I could not get here!
Valier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:17 AM   #2522
Caranlondien
Shade of Carn Dűm

Caranlondien has just left Hobbiton.
Just for the record (although I guess everyone probably figured this anyway)... The site was down, and I couldn't get on to vote. I tried from 11:30 PM to 3:30 AM here, at which point I decided to just go to sleep.
Caranlondien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:01 PM   #2523
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Same story here. I tried about every half an hour from 12:00am to 2:30am and then gave up.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:55 PM   #2524
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Eye The Prophet pronounces:

tar-ancalime will be whisked away on the sixth NIGHT due to RL reasons.

Just so you know.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:07 AM   #2525
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Eye Clarification:

tar-ancalime will be removed from the game along with the Werewolf's NIGHT kill.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:16 AM   #2526
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
I am becoming a bit worried.

Prophet Nilp, you are starting the Day early, right? Right? Tis a Saturday after all.

And I have the little problem that I am supposed to be on the bus at 8:15 AM GMT to join my grandma & parents in the country for the weekend. So, if the day does not start early -as I assumed it would- I shall not be able to post or vote at all.

Very humble apologies. Don't hate me. I will suffer more from this trip than you.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:44 AM   #2527
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

The Eye Je suis desolé, mon amie.

I have opened the DAY late, because I was taking my French finals this noon.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:17 PM   #2528
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Lommy would like all of you to know, that her absence today is due to her problems with net-access.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:25 AM   #2529
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Just so everyone knows, and so I can get on the 'list' that seems so important, I want to say that I would like to mod sometime this summer. I don't care when exactly, but late May-June-July, sometime in there. I've already started thinking about how the game will go, so I better get my chance. Anyway, I guess put me down on the list.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:33 AM   #2530
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Farael's got the next game, right?

I am definitely in, whenever he pops up and starts doing sign-ups.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #2531
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Jenny, Farael is playing in my game and modding ww20. Would you like me to sign you up for mine? I would like two more players before I start.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:20 PM   #2532
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Valier, Farael is Modding WWXX, which is the one I am signing up for. I can't commit to two at once, unlike Farael. Honestly I think he's crazed.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:41 PM   #2533
Caranlondien
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sign me up for Farael's game, too! This is horribly, horribly addictive...
Old 03-26-2006, 12:58 PM   #2534
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'll play aggressive enough to be lynched early in Valier's game at TiGJ... I really would like to join the game modded by Farael! So count me in also. I will withdraw, if the others won't lynch me there and it keeps being interesting...
Old 03-26-2006, 01:14 PM   #2535
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

I find this^^ Rude and offensive!!! Please do not sign up for a game, then if you don't like it,withdraw. I will not allow a withdrawl from my game for this reason.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #2536
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valier
I find this^^ Rude and offensive!!! Please do not sign up for a game, then if you don't like it,withdraw. I will not allow a withdrawl from my game for this reason.
I hope my PM was kind enough to answer - and to make the responsibilities straight: if I'm in in one game, then I'm in with that one (yours). Don't worry, Valier... I do not intend to die at the first day- even though the people who have played with me, could think that to be my daily style...

So I have not withdrawed your game Valier, it would not come into my mind! I was just thinking, whether I could participate on Farael's too. Maybe it's too much, maybe it isn't? Need to see how these games are going to develop. If we start on Monday (why should we wait until Tuesday?), we'll have the game going beautifully before Farael can start his...
Old 03-26-2006, 02:13 PM   #2537
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Alrighty!!! I'm up next on the modding list. Good.

First of all, anyone minds if WW XX takes a week to start? It works out better for me that way, and also it gives me more time to convince Nilp to join

I'd be starting on Monday, April 3rd if that's ok with everyone else. Or maybe on Saturday the 1st if you rather have it start sooner.

Important things to decide:
*Voting deadline: I would propose somewhere around 6 PM Central time (which is 12 AM GMT). Our Brittish/European friends should be able to post relatively close to the deadline and us Americans/Canadians can post after school/university/work. Of course, I'm really bad with the timezones here in North America so if that time does not work for any of you all, let me know

Special Roles: I was thinking of trying something new, let's see what you think of it.

Rather than having a Seer who chooses whom to dream and then gets the information, we'd have a (let's give it another name) "Shaman" who's role is to ask the gods, deities or prophets information about one villager. This information will be disclosed on a dream.... but not to the Shaman. At least not necessarily. It will be given at random to anyone in the village. Including wolves.

Yes, I don't like the role of the Seer so much, I find it a little unbalancing when after five or six nights the seer comes out and all of a sudden half the village is known to be innocent. It would still be possible to do that, but I'm not going to say how... I'll let the Shaman (should he/she ever come to exist) figure it out.

Compensation: Ranger, Hunter and Shaman can PM during the day. The ranger can't protect the Shaman two nights in a row so they should choose carefully.

If the village is large enough, I'd like to toy with the werewolves a little.... but adding some Lovers might be over-kill. If you can figure out a good idea on what to do, either post it here or PM it to me and I can take the credit

Double-lynches: No. Unless I'm persuaded otherwise, there will be no double-lynches. If the village gets too big I'll figure out a different way of making the game shorter, but I don't like it when the game is over because of math. I want to make you all think *evil laugh*

By the way, I will need a co-mod as my schedule is, at best, crazy. Without a co-mod we might have days starting/ending late without proper notice.... so if you want to co-mod, PM me =) It'll be fun.

Ok, I think that's all... If you want to propose anything for the game, I'm all ears.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #2538
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Signed up so far V0.1

Here's the list of signees for Farael's game

Caranlondien: Vampires, no double lynch
JennyHallu:
Nogrod:?
Diamond:?
Grendelien:
Saucepan Wolf Vampires, indifferent
Findëasëa
Celuien:?
Right now, we need at least 10 more players. I'll decide the setting and all in a while.

Edit: Scratch that, I almost forgot... I have an interesting setting

We've had Wolves chasing after men (And women)
We've had heroes chasing after wolves
What are we forgetting?

Well, Some theories say that Orcs were originally corrupted elves. What it's only known by some few masters in the lore of Orcology is that Sauron the deciever had a bigger evil than his werewolves. He created the wereorcs During the day, those fiends looked just like any other elf, all stuffed and boring but at night... the fair skin turned into rotten leather, the soft hands replaced by claws and the eyes... so dead and lifeless. They turned into orcs.

So what do you all say? sounds plausible enough?

Last edited 11 10 AM, March 28th: Added Celuien

Last edited by Farael; 03-28-2006 at 11:03 AM.
Farael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #2539
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

If you are not starting quite yet, I might want to apply into this. But put it down with a questionmark. I'll have to see, how I fare in Valier's game, starting tomorrow...
Old 03-26-2006, 02:54 PM   #2540
Garin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Garin has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Nogrod: I do not intend to die at the first day- even though the people who have played with me, could think that to be my daily style...
If anyone needs a lynch lesson, I am available.

As much as i wish to obtain longevity ... I also am tempted to maiintain my perfect lynch record but it will always be buffered by my survival instinct.

Really, never get into a WW game unless you are willing to go all the way. It is one of the most annoying things in WW when someone just decides to quit after commiting.

I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased.

Fyodor Dostoevsky "Notes From the Underground"
Garin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #2541
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garin
Really, never get into a WW game unless you are willing to go all the way. It is one of the most annoying things in WW when someone just decides to quit after commiting.
Just check my record... There probably isn't a game where I haven't been the top poster. So my worries about not to be able to come in wholeheartedly means something like under 15 posts a day...
Old 03-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #2542
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Farael, I might be interested in playing. Since Valier's game starts this week and yours doesn't start till next week, I may well be able to balance both. I'm going to be modding the next WWJ game after Valier so I want to get all the wolfish experience I can get before then.

But put me down as a maybe. If by next week I feel I can't handle it, I don't want to be totally committed.

I love the wereorcs idea, by the way.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #2543
Grendelien
Haunting Spirit

Grendelien has just left Hobbiton.
I would very much like to join the next game. I've been reading the posts from the previous game, and it looks like fun!
Grendelien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:12 PM   #2544
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Farael

I would certainly be interested, so please put me down as a maybe. I need to work out whether I am going to have the time spare to play another game. If I do play, I may have to try to limit my posting - although I always intend to do that and always seem to end up posting frequently and at length.

Not to sure about Wereorcs. They don't really seem fearsome, or gothic, enough. What about Vampires? They are certainly canon (Thuringwethil, for example).

Also not sure about the Shaman, Ranger and Hunter being able to PM each other. One of the interests of the game is whether the Ranger is able to accurately identify and protect the Seer (or Shaman in this game). Add to that the fact that those who know each other's identity tend to be easier for the Wolves to spot, and it rather neutralises from the advantage. Personally, I prefer it when none of the Gifteds know each other.

The Shaman role sounds interesting, though.

I don't really mind about double lynchings, one way or the other. With a Seer instead of a Shaman, though, the mathematical win becomes less of a possibility.

I also think that we should stick to the rule that people should only play in one game at a time. There is generally enough interest that two games can be adequately populated without any need for doubling up. Properly played, a Werewolf game is quite a big committment, and two at the same time would perhaps be a bit too much. I know from having been following two games at a time that it easy to get them confused, and that is even more of a risk if people are playing in two games at once. It's not such an issue if someone is modding one game and playing in another (although I still think that this should be avoided unless someone has a lot of time on their hands), but it may be a problem if someone is playing in two games at once.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:12 PM   #2545
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelien
I would very much like to join the next game. I've been reading the posts from the previous game, and it looks like fun!
Welcome Grendelien!
Old 03-26-2006, 04:20 PM   #2546
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
I also think that we should stick to the rule that people should only play in one game at a time. There is generally enough interest that two games can be adequately populated without any need for doubling up. Properly played, a Werewolf game is quite a big committment, and two at the same time would perhaps be a bit too much. I know from having been following two games at a time that it easy to get them confused, and that is even more of a risk if people are playing in two games at once. It's not such an issue if someone is modding one game and playing in another (although I still think that this should be avoided unless someone has a lot of time on their hands), but it may be a problem if someone is playing in two games at once.
I think you have some wisdom here... and that's the reason, I've been so reluctant to go to one way or another. I have promised Valier to be in her game, and that's a deal, not to be withdrawn. What I have promised, I will keep. We'll see, how that game goes on - as this game will take some time to really start. So Farael, do use the question mark over my name still. I will be joining you, if I'm dead in the TiGJ-game, but if it turns out a good game (myself included), I will stay there...
Old 03-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #2547
Findëasëa
Haunting Spirit

Findëasëa has just left Hobbiton.
I see there is already a newbie signed up, but I'd like to sign up too, if that's okay. This will be exciting!
Findëasëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #2548
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Not to sure about Wereorcs. They don't really seem fearsome, or gothic, enough. What about Vampires? They are certainly canon (Thuringwethil, for example).
I'll let "the people" decide.... so choose what ever you prefer. I have a thing for Vampires so I'm good with that

Quote:
Also not sure about the Shaman, Ranger and Hunter being able to PM each other. One of the interests of the game is whether the Ranger is able to accurately identify and protect the Seer (or Shaman in this game). Add to that the fact that those who know each other's identity tend to be easier for the Wolves to spot, and it rather neutralises from the advantage. Personally, I prefer it when none of the Gifteds know each other.
Well, the point was that the ranger can't always protect the seer/shaman so he has to choose wisely... but maybe you are right, they'd be easier to spot. hmmm maybe we could scratch that and add the lovers?

Quote:
I don't really mind about double lynchings, one way or the other. With a Seer instead of a Shaman, though, the mathematical win becomes less of a possibility.
How so?
Old 03-26-2006, 04:50 PM   #2549
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findëasëa
I see there is already a newbie signed up, but I'd like to sign up too, if that's okay. This will be exciting!
Welcome to the game!
Old 03-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #2550
Caranlondien
Shade of Carn Dűm

I like the idea of Vampires, and I like the Shaman role, too. My vote is definitely against double lynchings; Much as I enjoyed winning the last game, I sympathize with poor Form...
Old 03-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #2551
Caranlondien
Shade of Carn Dűm

And welcome, Grendelien and Findëasëa!
Old 03-26-2006, 05:38 PM   #2552
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
How so?
Sorry, I meant that with a Shaman instead of a Seer, the mathematical win becomes less of a possibility. Thinking it through, though, I am not sure that it does. The Shaman knows who he/she has dreamed of and can confirm the visions received by others, so the Shaman can still reveal and create a pool of known innocents.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #2553
Garin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Garin has just left Hobbiton.
Okay, I haven't seen any vampires in games but I am assuming that there is a chance of turning the chosen victim into a vampire as well. That is what vampires do with the first bite. This could be an amazing role because it might actually pit the vampire against the wolves. Vampires could attack the werewolves -- changing the furry pack animal into a lone seductor/seductress. We could have 3 factions going at it but would probably need at least 20 players.

I am a sick man ... I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased.

Fyodor Dostoevsky "Notes From the Underground"
Garin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:54 PM   #2554
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Aren't vampires supposed to be killed by sunlight, and sleep during the Day?

Okay okay. I know mythos can be adapted, but I thought I'd just bring that up?
Old 03-26-2006, 06:17 PM   #2555
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Sorry, I meant that with a Shaman instead of a Seer, the mathematical win becomes less of a possibility. Thinking it through, though, I am not sure that it does. The Shaman knows who he/she has dreamed of and can confirm the visions received by others, so the Shaman can still reveal and create a pool of known innocents.
Bad, BAD Saucepan Man... I said there was a way but I'd let the Shaman figure it out!! Yes, it is still possible, just a little more complicated and a little less "Certain" as if a wolf happens to get one of the dreams (and mostly, if a wolf happens to get a dream about a fellow wolf) he/she could lie....
Old 03-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #2556
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
Bad, BAD Saucepan Man... I said there was a way but I'd let the Shaman figure it out!!
Oops! Well you did ask ...

I did toy with the idea of Vampires who could convert innocent villagers into their own kind a while back. The game would need to start with just one Vampire, but even then it seemed to me that it would be very difficult for the villagers to win, and impossible without the availability of double-lynchings.

I only suggested Vampires because I thought that Farael was looking for an alternative to Werewolves simply in name.

Although a three way game with Werewolves and a Vampire who could convert others into Vampires might be interesting, if completely confusing, if it could be worked out properly ...
Old 03-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #2557
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Mod puts his foot down....

... hopefully not stepping in anyone's toes

After toying with the idea of having vampires rather than wereorcs, I have decided to go with the latter. What I want, actually, is an excuse to have an elven village, and I think orcs work best, as they are THE enemies of the fair folk.

Having said that, we could have a vampire if we can work out how it'd work without unbalancing the game to either side.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:37 PM   #2558
Caranlondien
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Saucepan Man makes a good point. In a game with both Werewolves and Vampires, I might be persuaded in favor of double lynches.

Vampires would make the Shaman/Seer's role more, er, interesting, wouldn't they? Known innocents wouldn't remain known very long.

What an interesting game that would be...
Old 03-28-2006, 08:22 AM   #2559
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Looks like an interesting game. But I don't know if I can handle three rounds in a row.

Must think it over. I'll join Diamond in the maybe camp.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:24 PM   #2560
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dűm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Farael, your game looks really interesting! Sign me up, please!

Unless I have the timezones really messed up, it looks like about 6:00 PM Central time is 7:00 PM EST, which is a welcome change. It means that I won't have to vote early (though it also means that I'll only have an hour or two to review all the posts I missed, but that's not bad.) So it works for me, which is a change.

As for double-lynchings: I am not a fan. As I said once, I think in the WWJ thread, I want my own ironic death, thanks. But on a more serious note, I think that they're just too easy to abuse.

If the only difference between wereorcs and vampires is the name, I prefer vampires...just because wereorcs are too...icky.