The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2002, 01:50 AM   #1
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye Boromir...the Best Character

Come on people you have to give a hand that Boromir is the most moving and lively character in the book and the Movie!!<P><BR>"But if you can only could speak ill of those who showed you mercy, keep silent!"<BR> ~frodo~
Old 05-03-2002, 02:16 AM   #2
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

Hey Avorrogion...you're from Malaysia?<BR>Me too!<BR>Well....when i first saw the movie..i thought that Boromir was such a jerk (don' take that seriously!).<BR>But after i read the LOTR a few times, i kinda liked Boromir because in the book he was very brave, valiant and strong. But in the movie, the way Peter Jackson did Boromir's character in the movie was very unlikeable so i guessed loads of people didn't like Boromir in the movie very much if they haven't read the book...that is.<BR>But after i watched the movie a few times at the cinema...i thought Boromir was a really brave guy and when he died...he died valiantly..it was so sad at that part.<BR>In the book, i like Sam, Faramir , Eowyn, Boromir and Legolas.<BR>Because each was brilliant in the book.<BR>But i wouldn't say that Boromir is the best character ...i have to say it was Legolas.<BR>If only Tolkien wrote more about Legolas...
Old 05-03-2002, 01:28 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

actually in the book, i tended to gloss over boromir as 'just a bad guy'. but, having seen the depth of character provided in the movie by PJ and sean bean, i have seriously rethought my position. now boromir is someone i can admire - he makes wrong choices for what he thinks are worthy reasons, he recognizes his wrongness in making those decisions, apologizes and tries to make amends through his actions.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:15 PM   #4
Niere-Teleliniel
Haunting Spirit

Niere-Teleliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm willing to add to any thread that promotes a character othen than Legolas! I'll admit that I didn't like Boromir when I first read the book, I liked Farimir better. But seeing the movie (plus being a bit older) helped me appreciate his character a little more. I think he is really awesome, esp. after he was sorry for how the ring had taken him over (whew, glad my english teacher didn't see that!). When I bought the movie bookmark, I definitely got the Boromir one! He really was a moving character!<p>[ May 03, 2002: Message edited by: Niere-Teleliniel ]

~Douglas Adams
Niere-Teleliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 01:34 AM   #5
avarrogion
Wight

The Eye

In the movie..for those who haven`t read the book but watch the movie...you would think that Boromir is bad and ungly dude but after reading the book and watching the movie again and again you would find that he is not so a bad guy and you will be sadden with his death to the Uruk!!!<BR>And hi to orlandoandsaran a fellow Malaysian!!
Old 05-04-2002, 01:46 AM   #6
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dûm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Sting

Boromeer was a great warrior, in the book and in the movie.<BR>All warriors should go down fighting and Boromeer’s death was perfect.<BR>Now Lurtz could be a great warrior too, but he was taking a cheap shot at the helpless Borormeer. Aragorn is a great warrior too.<P>All such warriors should be mourned in the fashion of the Klingons!<P>Hhhoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwlllll!!!
Old 05-04-2002, 07:43 AM   #7
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As much as I love the character Legolas (which had (and still has) nothing to do with Orlando Bloom, cute as he is) I like Boromir better in the movie. I don't see how anyone could dislike him. Every person I know liked him, and none of them read the book first. In the book, when I first read it, I didn't care for him all that much, though I did not dislike him. But when I read it the second time, (which was like two days after I finished the book the first time) he appealed to me more, and I understood him better.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:15 PM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

can't resist an opportunity to talk about boromir and sean bean. i think PJ and Sean Bean did an incredible job of fleshing out and making interesting this much overlooked character. he's an ordinary human, who loves his country and honors his father. he's a valiant man, willing to risk his life for the fellowship whose goal he does not completely agree with. he makes wrong decisions and then has the grace to admit they're wrong and repent of them. <P>&then of course, there is sean bean himself, who is an altogether lovely actor!
Old 05-04-2002, 06:56 PM   #9
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, I never really liked Boromir, but you guys have such good arguments. He tried to kill Frodo, that was enouph for me not to like him. I Dislike him less then I used to, but Frodo is still the best.
Old 05-04-2002, 07:41 PM   #10
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

Boromir didn't try to kill Frodo. He desired the Ring, in order to do good for Gondor, and the Ring was clouding his judgement, but his motive was not to hurt Frodo. I've read the books over twenty times, and I never once thought that Boromir intended serious harm to Frodo. If he wanted to kill Frodo, he could have just taken out his sword and killed him before Frodo could do anything. They were alone, after all. Boromir was never evil, just misled by a human weakness, and I think he would never have harmed him.
Old 05-04-2002, 08:00 PM   #11
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Lanniae of the Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Oh, man! <P>Finally, someone who understands! <P>Yes! Boromir is definately THE BEST character! <BR>(Except for Frodo and Gandalf, who you can't not like)<P>The first time I read the book, I don't really remember what I thought of Boromir, it was a while ago. But I DIDN'T think he was bad. The second time I read it, I thought, 'hey, this guy was pretty cool. When I die I want to die the way he did: self-sacrafice.' The numerous times after that, I REALLY started liking him. The movie only added to that. Boromir and Aragorn were the only manly-looking guys in the movie (Elves looking like females and such) and Boromir's depth was portrayed very well by Sean Bean. Needless to say I was sobbing like a baby when he died, and that now Sean Bean is one of my top favorite actors. Now I'm reading it AGAIN and I absolutely adore Boromir. <P>Why?<P>1. He's not Legolas! JK<P>2. He was really a nice guy and everything, reading the appendices after ROTK it explains a lot about Boromir and Faramir and their relationship, and how Boromir was very protective of Faramir and they really loved each other; and of how he honored and pleased his father. He was very respectful of everyone (that whole thing in the movie "Gondor needs no King" was SO not Boromir in the books). <P>3. He was the perfect warrior. To put it a little more acurately, he was almost obsessive. But still perfect. For a warrior. He loved battle for its own sake, for the weapons, for the tactics, the strain, the abilities needed to do well. His death was extremely fitting for his personality. I myself cannot picture him dying old and white haired in his sleep, mostly because at the point he couldn't fight anymore he'd probably commit suicide.<P>4. Self-sacrafice is the SINGLE greatest act of heroism and nobility. Putting yourself before anyone else is just wonderful. And he did that without a second thought. <P>When those Orc-arrows pierced his flesh, he wasn't thinking 'yay, I'm redeeming myself.' He was thinking, 'this is the right thing to do.'
Old 05-04-2002, 08:04 PM   #12
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

Then I'm guessing, Lanniae, that you are ecstatic that Sean Bean/Boromir is going to be in TTT. (See the thread down below somewhere.) Welcome to the downs!
Old 05-05-2002, 03:20 AM   #13
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

Finally! 1 fellow Malaysian!<BR> Hahahha....<BR>I know when you ppl look at my nick....you are thinking "Ugh....Legolas-lover...she'll be talkin bout him 24-7 and won't give Boromir a chance".<BR>Well....actually in the book Boromir is one of my fav. characters.<BR>He did not try to kill Frodo. It was the ring that nearly made him do it. Actually, even though he wasn't like his brother who didn't really care about war that much, he was still a loving brother as you can see the relationship between Faramir and Boromir.<BR>Boromir wanted power as in like...he wanted to build up Gondor. He was a strong and handsome man and one of the finest captins of Gondor. Sure he cared little for anything save arms and battle, and was overly proud..but he was a good brother and son.<BR>Boromir is a pretty good character. You have to read the book then you will only know the real Boromir.
Old 05-05-2002, 10:13 AM   #14
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

First off, thanx Nufaciel for welcoming me. Yay! I got welcomed! <P>Also, I would like to say "Eep! We have a Legolas-lover who isn't a teenie-bopper amongst us! Yay Orlandoandsaran!" <P>I just believe Boromir is the best, and I'm glad when other people can agree that at least he is cool. He did a very noble thing, you know? I love the tragic-character guys. *swoon* :P <P>Like, I have this friend who likes Legolas, and she's like "Ugh, I HATE Boromir, I don't know how anyone could like him." Heh. Surprising thing is she doesn't have a good reason for not liking him. Is disgusting.<P>Sorry, I don't really hate Legolas, I'm just mad that they beefed up his character too much in the movie, and that all these, well, teenie-boppers are swooning over him just because he's good-looking, and then reading the books and calling themselves Tolkien fans. That is also disgusting. I liked Legolas MUCH better in the book, and in, like, that cartoon version of LOTR (which was actually pretty decent, if they had finished it!). <P>...But here I'm getting off-subject. <P>Boromir is the best character!<P>Namarie,<BR>~Lanniae<P>PS: My computer is being messed up so I might be sending this twice on accident. I'M SORRY if I do!!!
Old 05-05-2002, 12:37 PM   #15
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Nufaciel -- slighly off topic - just rented Bravo 20 w/Sean Bean in it - good, movie, but gruesome as to modern warfare.<P><B>Lanniae of the Axe</B><P>welcome to the Downs, O Defender of Boromir!!!!
Old 05-05-2002, 02:50 PM   #16
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

I adore Legolas. He's my favorite character of Lord of the Rings, with Boromir running a very close second (so close that Legolas can feel Boromir's breath on his neck) and I'm hardly a teeny-bopper at 26. But then, Legolas has been my fave for almost 10 years now. But I have always loved Boromir too. And Sean was incredibly sexy as him (but he's sexy anyway! <P>Piosenniel: was Bravo 20 good? I just rented Essex Boys. It was pretty good. (I also just finished watching Goldeneye.)
Old 05-06-2002, 05:41 AM   #17
avarrogion
Wight

The Eye

Saen Bean is fantastics being Boromir!! He actually depthen the character and brought to,life with passion and steam!!
Old 05-06-2002, 08:27 AM   #18
Huor

Sting

I thought that Peter Jackson did a great job bringing out the best qualities of Boromir. He died as the hero and great warrior that he was.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:00 PM   #19
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

<B>Nufaciel</B><P>Bravo 20 was a good, gritty war movie. it was about an actual incident that took place during the gulf war. sean bean plays the lead and does the voice over (&what a gorgeous voice!)<P>i liked essex boys, but sometimes i felt as if i could have used some american english subtitles!! loved his role in goldeneye!<P>have you seen any of the Sharpe videos? i just ordered the first 4 - can't wait!
Old 05-06-2002, 02:19 PM   #20
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

No. Unfortunately they aren't released here in the U.S. and the British videos/DVDs don't work on my American Machine... <P>I kinda got lost with all the British accents also at first, but once I got used to the accents, I did okay. I do understand some British English, so I knew what they were talking about.<P>Now back to Boromir...I agree that PJ did a great job casting for Boromir...in fact, for all of the roles.<p>[ May 06, 2002: Message edited by: Nufaciel ]
Old 05-06-2002, 03:59 PM   #21
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

AAAAGH, unable to get Sharpe? It's a crime against humanity. Fit, yorkshire, blond, sword wielding, snoggable!!! AAAAGH.<BR>Sorry had a funny turn. Going back to Boromir, in the novel he digs the hobbits out of the snow on Caradhas (never can spell it) which would have been a nice touch in the film. Most of my friends didn't notice it was him that caught Frodo when they saved him from the beastie outside Moria. A good character because he has human frailties. A good piece of casting because it's Sean. (I've met him you know, I've now boasted about that too many times, sorry, I'll never mention it again unless someone else brings it up, how about that?)
Old 05-06-2002, 04:18 PM   #22
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Yay! I got welcomed again, guys! Yes! Thanks, Piosenniel (THAT one was hard to spell!)<P>Um, yeah, enough with me, um, I definately think that ALL of PJ's casting choices were the best! It was good that he got many mostly "unknown" actors (at least for us Americans! I dunno about the British, Danish, other guys, but they were unknown to me except for Liv Tyler and Elijah Wood and all them), so that forever henceforth we're gonna see Viggo Mortensen and say "AH! It's Aragorn!" or "Look! Pippin!" etc. All of the acting was, well, perfect! <P>But no one can die like Sean Bean! *dramatic sniff*<P>Nufaciel, Boromir is breathing down Legolas's neck? Hm. I want him to do that to ME. :P *yes!*<P>Auriel, what is this Sharpe? Sounds like my kind of movie! Sadly, I guess I can't get it here in America! *and they tell us we have EVERYTHING!* Oh, and hey don't worry about the spelling. One more "R" and you woulda had Caradhras down pat! <P>So, um, with that, I must be going...<P>Boromir is the BEST! Woo!<P>--Lanniae
Old 05-07-2002, 03:39 AM   #23
avarrogion
Wight

The Eye

Anyway juz wanna wats Sharpe? Doubt i can get it here in Malaysia anyway Sean Bean should have been nominated as Best supporting Actor or somethiing! I herad he will be back for TTT is it true?
Old 05-07-2002, 08:21 AM   #24
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

To find out about Sharpe, go here:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.compleatseanbean.com/sharpe.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.compleatseanbean.com/sharpe.html</A> <P>The Compleat Sean Bean is the best Sean Bean website on the web. <P>The Best Boromir site:<BR> <A HREF="http://boromir.iwarp.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://boromir.iwarp.com/</A>
Old 05-07-2002, 01:02 PM   #25
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

Well, isn't this thread a gift... a gift to the few, the proud, the fans of Boromir!!! All right!<P>Kudos to Jackson for recognizing that this was the character w/ more issues than National Geographic and daring to exploit a few for our viewing pleasure, not to mention putting his demise on Camera One and giving him the room to be the tragic hero i've always thought him to be (even in my sordid past of being a Legolas fan (Bakshi version) i'd always thought Boromir didn't deserve his fate, besides, from a gamer's POV, a good tank fighter is a terrible thing to waste...)<P>Indeed, i based my judgement of FOTR on who they handled Boromir's thread of the plot (and ended it at what i think is the right place for the first section to end (based in part by the Bakshi animation i guess) But breathing down Legolas' neck in a race for the top spot? Nay, i daresay the poor elf was knocked so hard he was sent back to a tie with Gimli, and they can duke it out for second place in the next two movies (and the fact that Mr. Bean was quite good looking certainly didn't hurt Boromir's chances of staging that coup)<P>Whoever started this thread, may the Tower of Guard be ever gazing YOUR way...<P>s.t.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:17 PM   #26
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Sting

First of all: THANKS NUFACIEL FOR THE LINKS! ME OWE MUCH!<P>Second, hey Saxony, yeah! You're right! Although after Gimli comes Elrond and Sam and Aragorn, and oh my! now I have to pick! Ack! Okay, forget it! <P>Boromir--1st place!<P>Everyone else--we don't care! We are the Bory-fans! <P>(resistance is futile. you will be assimlilated.)<P>--Lanniae
Old 05-07-2002, 04:36 PM   #27
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Now there's a Sean Bean link you probably don't need to know about Sharpe but just in case: Early 1990s series of TV movies based on the books by Bernard Cornwell. Sean played Richard Sharpe, a dashing soldier fighting against Napoleon and yet a common man (not aristocracy and that stuff) who'd been promoted on his merit as a soldier not his birth. He was utterly delicious. If you really want to go to pieces though he was in Lady Chatterley's Lover, another TV series even before that, playing Mellors. I could comment but it would have to be censored. All this and Boromir. What more does a girl need. I'm off to visit that site now.<BR>Thanks for telling me how to spell that snowy mountain. Spelling is not my forte.
Old 05-07-2002, 05:06 PM   #28
Lilly Loamsdown
Pile O'Bones

Lilly Loamsdown has just left Hobbiton.
YES!Finally a discussion on how great Boromir was! I agree he was a noble heroic character,not least because my favorite cousin thinks so as well.<BR>Crazyest thing my cousin actually looks like Boromir. His actions spoke for him,He was definitly the best character in the book and the movie. Although I dont see why you're all bashing Legolas he was cool to.<BR>All and all Boromirs only fault was one we all share,being human!<BR>Like the saying goes "I can resist anything but temptation."
Old 05-07-2002, 07:17 PM   #29
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

<B>Nufaciel</B> -- oh be still my heart! that sharpe pic was gorgeous! & thanks for the link to the boromir site!<P>i thought the sharpe movies were available in VHS for the US and Canada region. i'll check it out.<P>ok - i did check it out the entire series is available for viewing by US systems on DVD and available through amazon.com. didn't see it on Tape, though<P>found then on Tape for the US and Canada available on Ebay <P>[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]<BR> <p>[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 05-08-2002, 02:29 PM   #30
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

Thank you, thank you, thank you! As soon as I have the extra money, I'm ordering the DVDs!
Old 05-08-2002, 06:07 PM   #31
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Anything for another Beanfan!
Old 05-08-2002, 06:22 PM   #32
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
that sounds so funny! beanfan. . . ha ha. well, i'll have to say boromir's pretty cool. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Except for Frodo and Gandalf, who you can't not like <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>believe me, it is possible to hate gandalf.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:18 AM   #33
avarrogion
Wight

The Eye

Sometimes i don`t get y do people enjoy Gandalf...EXspecially girls here in my country...often you will hear them insulting boromir...y pls some one tell me y???
Old 05-09-2002, 05:20 AM   #34
avarrogion
Wight

The Eye

Seriously they make Boromir sounds stupid and a lunatic....i mean give the character a chance he is one of the BEST in the movie and i kinda cried at the part he was fighting the Uruks!! Tell me that you guys to cried at that part?
Old 05-09-2002, 07:57 AM   #35
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Boromir is THE best in the movie or the book! He is the most complex and loveable! The tragic hero! *sigh* But that is arguable. <P>You can't NOT like Gandalf and like LOTR. It's just not possible. Sacreligious. It's like hating John the Baptist and still liking and believing in the Bible. <P>It's stupid. Gandalf and Frodo are the two people you just HAVE to like to like LOTR. If you don't like them, you CAN'T like LOTR, it's very simple. If you don't like them, you don't care about the Fate of middle-earth, and hence don't like LOTR in general. Very simple!<P>But, here, I'm getting off subject again. BORMIR! BOROMIR! BOROMIR! He is just so noble and wonderful. But again, his worthiness is arguable. Unlike Gandalf and Frodo. I don't care if you hate Elijah Wood and Ian McKellen, FRODO AND GANDALF ROCK!<P>Why I'm saying this on a Boromir-section-thread, I don't know, *someone* *Gollumelfpup* got my guard up.<P>--Lanniae<P>"The North Wind may have heard the Horn of the son of Denethor."
Old 05-09-2002, 08:21 AM   #36
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

<B>gollum*elf*pup</B><P>I can understand why a person would not appreciate the character, Gandalf. Sometimes he is too busy with his 'meddling' in the affairs of ME, like a parent who just can't let the kid grow up. & Then, on the other hand, he makes promises to 'be' there in the difficult times, but is involved in his own life and can't help.<p>[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 05-09-2002, 10:58 AM   #37
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

How to Hate Gandalf... Hmm... what an interesting concept -- let me think about that one...<P>how about getting tired of "Aragorn can do no wrong" after about five chapters? Big confession there -- may be another part of why yours truly was in Boromir's corner from Day One -- another is, give me a choice between a flawless hero and an SOB, and i'll take the SOB any day -- chances are he's the more interesting character!<P>Especially one like the subject of this thread -- whom Tolkein plays as pretty flat, but if you piece together the stuff from the back of the book, you see B. should properly be played -- with 25# of chainmail, 5# of shield, 3# of sword, and 65# of great expectations and guilt trips. i still say kudos to Jackson & team for letting Bean exploit just a bit of that for our viewing pleasure!<P>Here's a question for any posters from the Pacific Rim, especially Japan -- given how differently the Japanese culture views its heroes -- how would Boromir stack up to the average samurai? As in, you can still 'fail' in an attempt to achieve what you think is a noble goal, because it is the attempt that is worthy, and in that light, there is no failure, only success or death?<P>s.t.<p>[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: Saxony Tarn ]
Old 05-09-2002, 02:19 PM   #38
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

I loved the character of Gandalf. I'm not sure why anyone would dislike him. Besides, he was sent to meddle in the affairs of ME. If they didn't want him involved, the Valar would never have sent the Avari in the first place. It's not really Gandalf's fault he got tied up with Saruman. He trusted him, and Saruman betrayed that trust. Gandalf went to Saruman for help, not because he didn't have anything better to do. But everything turned out alright in the end. I agree with Lanniae. It's hard to hate either Gandalf and Frodo, two central characters, and like the books.<P>I don't have a problem with Aragorn either. In fact, I didn't have a problem with anyone in the fellowship. I loved all the characters.
Old 05-09-2002, 03:02 PM   #39
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

An extra round of mead for Nufaciel -- excellent analysis of Gandalf. Probably the only reason i could think for anyone to dislike Gandalf could be some kind of prejudice against wizards...<P>s.t.<P>|_|) <-- aye, it comes in pints, and that one's for you...
Old 05-09-2002, 03:06 PM   #40
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
ok, so i dont <B>hate</B> gandalf, i just think he's really weird. i have no prejudice against wizards, i mean, wizards are really cool. <p>[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: gollum*elf*pup ]