The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #561
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Indeed, I looked it up. It's Tarlang's neck, so the fella was Tarlang the Giant.

And I may add that especially this was very mean from you, because poor Finduilas (and who knows how many others) may have racked her brain while trying to find the information in any source EXCEPT FOR HoME, about which you explicitely said that it cannot be used as a source... oh well...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #562
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up

Of course
Old 06-18-2007, 03:48 PM   #563
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, something simple for a change.

Can you name me a hobbit guerilla leader? (and no, I don't want to hear about Merry or Pippin here)

P.S. TM, you have a riddle to post in First Age Trivia about a month
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #564
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
OK I really cannot remember, but was Pippin's father Paladin not Thain at the time and leading some sort of resistance with the other Tooks.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #565
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Fredegar 'Fatty' Bolger (not so fat after he was freed from the 'Lockholes').
Old 06-19-2007, 06:23 AM   #566
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Yup, it was the well-known Robin Hood-like figure, Fatty Bolger, who I was looking for. Rune, you are also right about the Tooks, but Fatty was explicitely mentioned in the connection with a "rebel band".

Dark Elf, please continue the thread.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #567
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Name another king besides Gil-Galad and Elendil that died in the War of the Last Alliance.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 AM   #568
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Leaf

What about Oropher?

Or Malgalad (Amdír?).
Old 06-20-2007, 06:43 AM   #569
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
What about Oropher?

Or Malgalad (Amdír?).
Either Oropher or Amdir would be acceptable. Please continue.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:49 AM   #570
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron
Either Oropher or Amdir would be acceptable. Please continue.
Thanks. Good one, btw.

What about this: Who was the only one to realize that there's a real possibility to be caught and eaten, despite the person was not cooked, as some others were?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #571
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Narya Here I am to bitch again. . .

2 things. . .

And don't get me wrong I am not mad about not getting the thread I just want to point something out.

1. you said "a hobbit guerilla leader?" this sugests that there is more than one and therefor several answers. and Guerilla is an independent/irregular armed force. Normaly connected with Guerilla warfare. As far as I can see there is nothing that points towards the rebels being more guerilla like forces than the tooks. . .and I do belive the Thain is also mentioned when Frodo and the gang gets an update on the state of the shire.

It would just please me if you could word you question in a way that there is no doubt that you are thinking of one specifick person.

2. Whatch out that you do not turn every quiz into a "cryptic clues" or "riddle".

anyways I am pussled by this one. . .it of course leads one thoughts to the company of Thorin Oakenshield, but it does not seem to fit.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:21 AM   #572
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Response

1. Sorry, but if you take it as how it's written, then Thain is mentioned separately and it does not necessarily mean he has anything to do with the Tooks who shoot the ruffians. There is said that he didn't like Lotho, and when Lotho send men after him, Tooks started to shoot. But then the Thain is not mentioned to have any connection with that (of course he probably had, but it's not written there).
And mainly, and the most important is, since there were two answers posted here, and the answer I was looking for was Fatty, I could choose, and I chose Fatty.

2. Don't worry, it's not anything like that. It's exactly the same as if I said "Who was the one who realized that Gollum is tracking the Fellowship?" Yup, you are right that this riddle is a little bit nontypical, but it reflects normal statements in the book, nothing cryptic. I.e. you'll find it in the book and say "yes, this is him."
Old 06-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #573
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

So the answer would be Gollum?

As he knew that Shelob was living at Cirith Ungol and he was not "cooked" like Frodo was when she poisoned him.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #574
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

But Frodo was not cooked. Frodo was poisoned, you yourself said it.

The question is exactly as I wrote it. I now understand what you meant by saying to be careful that the question is not turned into a riddle, if you thought I mean something like that, then you were indeed mistaken.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #575
Narawen_Eluchil
Newly Deceased

Narawen_Eluchil has just left Hobbiton.
Balin, Lord of Moria
Narawen_Eluchil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #576
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

See, my first thought was Bilbo, because of the trolls arguing over how best to cook him. However I don't have my copy of The Hobbit with me, and something's making me think "caught and eaten" is more specific... maybe it's one of the dwarves. I'll have to check back.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #577
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thorin? Wasn't he the last to come up to the group of trolls, and realised the danger?
Not that anyone was actually cooked, though, so I suppose this is wrong...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #578
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i was going to say Bilbo but he has already been said... and now i want to say Bombur because when he got captured by the spiders of Mirkwood he was being constantly poked while the other dwarves were poisoned by the spiders...
Old 07-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #579
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nah, all your answers are wrong. One hint: what am I saying in the question is absolutely true and is 100% according to the book. And it is no metaphore or something like that. Quite the opposite (and that's the main thing on which the riddle is based): I am interpretating the book literally.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #580
noldon

Pipe

which book(s)?

Gandalf, directly before Moria and Beorn's home. The wolves were cooked both times.

Last edited by noldon; 07-11-2007 at 02:14 PM. Reason: reread Fellowship/ Hobbit
Old 07-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #581
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

But in that case, Gandalf was not the only one to realize that he and the Dwarves can be caught and eaten. The Dwarves realized it too. And the Wolves (<= note for WW players: see?) were not cooked, they were... well... roasted. So, no.

My question was

Who was the only one to realize that there's a real possibility to be caught and eaten; despite the person was not cooked, as some others were?
The italicised words are important. They are exactly (in different forms or tenses, maybe) in the book.

And it is one book and I won't tell you which one, only I can ensure you that it's not any History of the Middle-Earth or something like that.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #582
Gil-Galad

well all of our guesses are from the Hobbit and i jut finished reading it yesterday and i'm raking my brain on it...

also i'm assuming its a person we haven't said yet....

i'm going to pull this out of my hat and say.... Master of Lake-Town? he fled the town when smaug was attacking because he knew that the dragon would deal major damage... and smaug did burn the town thus burning some people
Old 07-12-2007, 02:42 AM   #583
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No, it's not the Master of Lake-Town. You have now the advantage that you read the whole Hobbit now, so you have enough information to decide if the answer can be found in the Hobbit or not.

As I said, you can find these exact words in the book where it is located (about cooking, and about being caught and eaten).
Old 07-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #584
Gil-Galad

so it is not any of the following then?

Bilbo
Balin
Gandalf
Gollum
Bombur
Master of Lake-Town
Thorin

that does not leave many characters left... and you better not be making me go through all of the dwarves of the company...

i beleive it was Thror, grandfather of Thorin? or father...
Old 07-13-2007, 03:39 AM   #585
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay, I will say it plainly and simply. You are absolutely correct, Gil-Galad, in your thoughts that it does not fit with any person from the Hobbit. Because the person is not from the Hobbit.

So here you have it, now you can start thinking who the heck it is
Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 PM   #586
Gil-Galad

you are confounding me... first you say i have an advantage by recently reading the hobbit, now you are saying its not from the hobbit...
Old 07-16-2007, 03:06 AM   #587
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
you are confounding me... first you say i have an advantage by recently reading the hobbit, now you are saying its not from the hobbit...
Yup, I meant you have the advantage that you can see for yourself that nothing such as this is in the Hobbit
Old 07-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #588
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I could so easily be wrong...

What about Frodo or Sam, in the Old Forest, when Merry and Pippin were caught in the willow, and they(Frodo and Sam) started a fire, the willow being who was cooked, and ... ? In that case it would be Frodo or Sam, can't remember which, who was the only one on gaurd.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:47 PM   #589
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

No. And to give you some hint, the ones who were cooked were quite many.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #590
Shards of Narsil
Animated Skeleton

Shards of Narsil has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Legate, its been two months and nothing on this. Maybe another small hint is in order?
Shards of Narsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:44 PM   #591
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Whoops... okay.

Just to repeat the question:
Who was the only one to realize that there's a real possibility to be caught and eaten; despite the person was not cooked, as some others were?

This means:

a) there was a certain situation, moment or place in the story.
b) at that certain situation, moment or place, whatever you wish, there were some, let's say, folks. One of them was the one I am asking about. The others were quite many. Some of them, if we trust the info we are given in the book, at the situation, moment or place that I am referring to, are cooked.
c) But our subject was the only one who realized that there is REALLY a possibility that someone will catch and eat them.

Italicised words are exactly in the book, as I quote them, at that situation, moment or place.
Though, there is a trick: you have to think deeply. When I say if we trust the info we are given in the book, it does not necessarily mean that the narrator is the one who is providing the information. It could be a subjective opinion of some character(s). However, if the narrator does not say his opinion on that, technically nothing prevents us from trusting it.

I know it's tricky, and I won't wonder if anyone had the idea to hit me with something hard after learning the answer. But that's for creative thinking.

And it is from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:14 AM   #592
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
'Maggots!' jeered the Isengarders. 'You're cooked. The Whiteskins will catch you and eat you. They're coming!'

In case this is the part you reffer to, I already thought about it some time ago, but since you always said the only one, I thought you meant a single person.
Also I think this doesn't really fit. I mean the Isengarders are the ones who are not cooked, unlike the Northerners. But the Isengarders never realised that they could be caught and eaten, but that the Northerners would be.
So you see, it's very confusing...
Old 09-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #593
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

The question was: Who was the only one to realize that there's a real possibility to be caught and eaten; despite the person was not cooked, as some others were?

That was only one person, and the first part is the important one.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #594
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Dunno, maybe Grishnakh?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 AM   #595
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Good, it was Grishnákh.

It was all about this moment:

Quote:
"Maggots!" jeered the Isengarders. "You're cooked. The Whiteskins will catch you and eat you. They're coming!"
A cry from Grishnákh showed that this was not mere jest.
So, taking all of it literally: we are told (by the Isengarders) that the mountain-maggots are cooked. Grishnákh is not one of them, so he is not cooked, of course. But he is the one who points out that the horsemen are indeed approaching, which would mean (again, if we trust the Isengarders) that they'll catch them and eat them.

It was a little bit of playing with logic, but here you go Please, take the thread.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 AM   #596
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Still doesn't make sense to me.
It would mean in my opinion that someone who was not cooked realised that those who are cooked will be caught and eaten.

Maybe a bit more clarity next time...

Who set sail only after the sun set?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:22 AM   #597
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Maybe a bit more clarity next time...
Yup, surely, it was just a try to do it somewhat different. Not much succesful, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Who set sail only after the sun set?
Hmm... would it help if I know who it was not?

I'm thinking Eärendil, in which case it would not mean literally, but at the moment when he was risen to the skies (rising after sunset).
Old 09-27-2007, 07:50 AM   #598
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Not the correct answer.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:23 AM   #599
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Possibly Tilion?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:37 AM   #600
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

That could also be an answer, if you consider he is sailing with the vessel of the moon, but I am referring to sailing in normal ships.

Plus, we know Tilion didn't always stick to the plan.