The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #1
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Your name in Elvish

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this, or if anyone's done something similar recently, but I just thought I'd ask.

Do you know what your christian name translates to in Sindarin or Quenya?

Mine translates as Neurion, in Quenya, apparently.

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."

Last edited by Neurion; 09-12-2005 at 11:17 PM.
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurion
I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this, or if anyone's done something similar recently, but I just thought I'd ask.

Do you know what your christian name translates to in Sindarin?

Mine translates as Neurion, but some of probably know that already.

I got a little book at last Oxonmoot which translates a couple of hundred English names into Sindarin. Apparently its not a precise science, & as the author says: 'Say the name aloud: it should sound pleasant to the ear: Tolkien intended Sindarin to sound beautiful when heard'.

Can't find 'Neurion' in it....
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dűm

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
I got a little book at last Oxonmoot which translates a couple of hundred English names into Sindarin. Apparently its not a precise science, & as the author says: 'Say the name aloud: it should sound pleasant to the ear: Tolkien intended Sindarin to sound beautiful when heard'.

Can't find 'Neurion' in it....
Interesting.

I've not been able to find a Sindarin translation (for "supplanter", which may or may not exist in that language) of my first name except on two sites, with disclaimers, of course. The Quenya equivelent for it that I've come up with is "Encaitar", apparently.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Old 07-09-2005, 05:35 AM   #4
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Neurion looks like Quenya to me. Neuro means follower or succesor. Neurion could mean "of the followers" (what the ending implies) but I'm not sure. I would render that "Neuroron." In any case, I am no expert at Quenya, but the name definitely looks more Quenyan than sindarin to my eyes.

I was named in Gujarati, an Indic tongue where names still correspond to actual words, meanig the translation of my name is even more accurate than an English name would be. My name, literally, means "Victory" (and can be used in sentences in the language).
I translated this into Quenya, and voila! my name is Apaire. Interestingly, my father's name also translates as Victory, so I'm Apaire son of Apaire, or Apaire Apairion.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:17 PM   #5
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I feel embarrassed to say I had to look up what a "christian name" was...I looked up my first name in the Council of Elrond name database in any event. In Sindarin, the source I looked it up in gives three choices: Taulaes, Tólaes and Laesdaw. In Quenya, it gives the name Mámë. It also has has Rohirric, for which it says Lytelamb.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dűm

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Neurion looks like Quenya to me. Neuro means follower or succesor. Neurion could mean "of the followers" (what the ending implies) but I'm not sure. I would render that "Neuroron." In any case, I am no expert at Quenya, but the name definitely looks more Quenyan than sindarin to my eyes.
Thanks for pointing that out.

(what was that old expression regarding one's face being red?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanimaEdhel
I feel embarrassed to say I had to look up what a "christian name" was...I looked up my first name in the Council of Elrond name database in any event. In Sindarin, the source I looked it up in gives three choices: Taulaes, Tólaes and Laesdaw. In Quenya, it gives the name Mámë. It also has has Rohirric, for which it says Lytelamb.
Not as embarrassed as I feel about confusing Quenya and Sindarin.

Oh well.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #7
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
There's a big bunch of Quenya translations of names at http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html. My Quenya name is Alcarillo, my screenname. As for Sindarin names, you'll have to search elsewhere.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #8
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Alcarillo - your signature reminds me of my high school concert choir. They insist on having us do one performance with the orchestra a year, and quite often it's a Requiem or something. This was the last year they're doing it (notice right before I graduate), since it's always such a disaster with the orchestra. Plus some parents were getting upset, since the majority of our families are not Christian, but we seem to only to Christian songs.

And Neurion: when I say either Sindarin or Quenya to my parents they look at me like I'm speaking - well - another language. They have no clue what I'm talking about. So at least you're a step ahead of them.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:05 PM   #9
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanimaEdhel
Alcarillo - your signature reminds me of my high school concert choir. They insist on having us do one performance with the orchestra a year, and quite often it's a Requiem or something. This was the last year they're doing it (notice right before I graduate), since it's always such a disaster with the orchestra. Plus some parents were getting upset, since the majority of our families are not Christian, but we seem to only to Christian songs.
I just found my signature while flipping through (skipping ahead in, actually) one of my Latin books, and I liked how it sounded. But off topic...

Neurion sounds Quenya to me, and somewhat like the word neuron, too. As to its Sindarin equivalent, I'm clueless.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:16 PM   #10
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
My name is very uncommon, but it does translate to 'Joy' in English, so in Quenya it would be Alassë. My middle name is a derived from the name Mary, so it would just be María. (Tolkien used this in his Quenya translation of the Hail Mary, rather than translating the meaning of the name.)
Old 07-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #11
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My name is Erugwest or Erugwaedh in Sindarin. That looks weird now that I write it out, but it sounds cool enough. *goes and checks Quenya* Eruvérë or Eruvanda. Those look better, I think I like Eruvérë best of the four it looks the most Elven too with the accents.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:25 PM   #12
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurion
Interesting.

I've not been able to find a Sindarin translation (for "supplanter", which may or may not exist in that language) of my first name except on two sites, with disclaimers, of course. The Quenya equivelent for it that I've come up with is "Encaitar", apparently.
Heh. That means you have my brother's name!

My name translates to Aranel. I found this on a Quenya names site, but I don't know if there is a difference between the Quenyan and the Sindarin in this case. Does anyone here know?

~ Saphy ~
Old 07-13-2005, 10:06 AM   #13
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
According to the CoE site, my Quenya name is Wilwarin, as you all know. My Sindarin name is Gwilwileth. Butterfly doesn't translate directly into Rohirric but 'coloured fly' is Fléohíw and 'coloured wing' is Bléofelper.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 07-13-2005 at 04:11 PM.
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #14
Calan
Pile O'Bones

Calan has just left Hobbiton.
Going simply off the links posted above, my real name works out to Erunámo, the Judge
Calan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:25 AM   #15
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
My name translates to English as 'immortal', so could anyone, who's better than me in sindarin and/or quenya, what is 'immortal' in sindarin or quenya?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #16
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

(With accordance to Council of Elrond and Hisweloke...) "Immortal" would be alfirin in Sindarin and ilfirin in Quenya. It's also the name of a flower. Lucky you.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:21 AM   #17
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elianna
(With accordance to Council of Elrond and Hisweloke...) "Immortal" would be alfirin in Sindarin and ilfirin in Quenya. It's also the name of a flower. Lucky you.
That sounds nice. Thanks, Elianna.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:14 PM   #18
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Mine is Aina Alassë in Quenya. I haven't worked out what that is in Sindarin yet, though.

I posted my name in the OE thread also - Engel Liss.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:08 AM   #19
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dűm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
My name means mistress (female master, not the stealer of husbands ), which translates into Quenya as Heriel and Sindarin as Hiriel. I use Hiriel as my screenname almost everywhere, because I think it sounds better than Heriel, and at times some of my friends even call me Hiriel in real life..
Old 09-07-2005, 08:01 AM   #20
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! Kuchiyose: Edo Tensei.

Louis (derived from Lewis) is from some Old Germanic name, Hludowig, I think, which means 'famous + war'--or is it 'fame + warrior'? Enedwaith, I can choose 'ohtar' to represent this, but since I'm a self-styled son of Finrod, and the second element of his name in Quenya, 'aráto', means champion, I decided to use that one instead.

Allen has no known meaning--it is said to have been derived from some pre-Latin tribe, Alanus--but don't trust my memory. I decided, hey, if you change the vowels a bit you'd come up with elen! So I used that, too.

It results in Elenrod, or Elenaráto. Although that is not exactly my name in Elvish, it sounds good to me.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:11 AM   #21
Dimcollowen
Pile O'Bones

Dimcollowen has just left Hobbiton.
I have no idea what my name means....could one of you find out for me? my name is Rose....or Michelle either or is good. THank you!!!
and they are beautiful,
But you are the most handsome of all.

Elessar, you and I were meant to be.
Dimcollowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:58 AM   #22
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Tolkien Dimcollowen

Hey.
Well i have been searching a bit and it seems your name wpuld be: Losille or Meril
(Meril being a Sindarin translation of Sam's wife)
(Both is a translation of Rose)

I do not know if it is right i just looked it up. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 03:00 AM   #23
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Tolkien

MICHELLE: Manveri

Old 09-17-2005, 03:07 AM   #24
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Tolkien How could i forget.

My own name is Rune (in case you did not gues it allready)

In danish i it means "Hemmelig visdom" witch if being translated to english would be : Secret lore

And aperently if you translat it to elvish, then the direct translation would be: Nolwe but since it is a name it proper translation would be Nolvo.

(I liked Nolwe better)

Old 09-17-2005, 08:07 AM   #25
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
My Sindarin name, which is the only name I have, is Glirdan (as you can tell) which means poet. So I'm also thinking for something along those lines for my personal tittle.