User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2006, 06:48 AM   #401
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I've filled in the chess SAVE.

Aman, shall I post the sighting of the Gondorian fleet, or would you rather?
Old 01-11-2006, 08:02 AM   #402
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Just popping in to see how things are going -- happy to know that they are.

Again, my apologies for jumping ship so abruptly. But I simply can't commit to regular posting right now.

If someone does take up Chakka I could let that person know via PM where I was taking the character -- NOT so that the new gamer can develop him as I was going to, obviously, but because the posts I've already put up might be more understandable when read as part of the whole picture. Again, though, the future of Chakka is entirely up to whomever writes for him...

..and it would be incredibly interesting to watch somebody else 'finish' a character I've begun...

...which gives me an idea for a really wild RPG when I am finally able to return to the Downs: musical characters! Every two weeks, everyone has to switch their characters!!

Thanks for the good wishes and congratulations by the way.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #403
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I've filled my SAVE.

Fordim, belated congratulations on my behalf, too. I wasn't quite sure, what to do with Chakka, so I just gave him a few lines in my last post.
Durelin, have you decided which character you'd like to take?
Old 01-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #404
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
If someone does take up Chakka I could let that person know via PM where I was taking the character -- NOT so that the new gamer can develop him as I was going to, obviously, but because the posts I've already put up might be more understandable when read as part of the whole picture. Again, though, the future of Chakka is entirely up to whomever writes for him...

..and it would be incredibly interesting to watch somebody else 'finish' a character I've begun...
Do you have any one in mind that could take over Chakka's character? People seem unwilling to do so. P'raps if you asked someone, they might be more likely to. . .

Quote:
...which gives me an idea for a really wild RPG when I am finally able to return to the Downs: musical characters! Every two weeks, everyone has to switch their characters!!
That would be really fun, and extremely interesting.

And have fun until your return to the Downs!

------------

Quote:
Originally posted by Firefoot:
Oh don't worry... I'm sure he will eventually.
lol! We'll see what happens then, won't we?

-- Folwren
Old 01-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #405
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
dancing spawn

I've filled my SAVE. Jagar has the key.

-- Arry
Old 01-11-2006, 03:55 PM   #406
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alrighty, ladies and gents, battle/fight/skirmish or whatever you would like to call it starts tomorrow morning. Before I leave work today, I'll have the Gondorian ships pulling into view in the river. There are still several, several miles between us and the Pelargir, though, at that point. That will give you Corsairs time to spot us and run for your ships.

Any pre-fighting scenes that anyone wants to write (mainly thinking of Alcarillo and his ships mates here) should be written before, well, tomorrow late morning. I should be posting the first clash of ships around 10:00 EST. . .or a little later.

Be pre-warned.

---------------------------------------

Now about the battle itself, let me see if I can't make things clear in my mind. . .we Gondorians get to pick on a few non-character ships and win in these fights, right? Is it correct to assume that we're allowed to destroy them, once we've killed all their people and freed all the galley slaves? Preferably, we haven't sunk them with those poor wretches chained to their oars. . .

Also, having thought on it at length last night, those Xebecs of yours are going to have a great advantage in speed, especially being galley ships. Am I correct to think thus? But all in all, we might have the advantage in maneauvering in a river, big as it is. Well well, we'll see.

Anyone who has any idea of war tactics in such cases, I'd greatly appreciate it if you voiced your knowledge.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 01-11-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:04 AM   #407
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen has just left Hobbiton.
I'm not sure how detailed I can get until Captain Vorimandur takes action...but they say the worst part of battle is waiting for it (although I suspect 'they' haven't ever been in action).

I'll have to see what I can do...

--Dunwen

P.S. Fordim, congratulations on your new babies!! I hope little 'Elrond & Elros' continue to thrive, and that you and their mommy are getting enough sleep!

Last edited by Dunwen; 01-12-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:30 AM   #408
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alright, everyone! Here I am. I finally wrote a post and got it up. It would have been here earlier today, but I wanted to give people more chance to write something. I left a Save in case anyone wanted to put the alarm being risen in.

I've started the attack. I let one Corsair ship go, and one only. If you all think another should be able to slip past, I can fix it that way.

I intend to have all the Corsairs killed, galley slaves freed, and then the ship burned, that sound alright?

Any objections can be voiced without any offence taken on my part. I can change whatever anyone thinks I should change.

-- Folwren
Old 01-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #409
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
To revert to my Stopfordian roots: WELL GOOD! Ahem...*reverts to usual accent* That is an amazing idea, Fordim - I will take you up on that one

Quote:
I intend to have all the Corsairs killed, galley slaves freed, and then the ship burned, that sound alright?
Good lord! I leave for a week and this is what happens?! Good lord! 'Scuse me while I go and check up on the thread really sharpish-like...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:49 PM   #410
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hm. It appears that I've jumped the gun on this one.

If people need/want more time, I can remove my post and save from the game and wait on it longer. . .my posting was hastily done, and I apologize.

What does everyone want to do? Let me know before this afternoon is out so that I can take action on it before I leave work today.

-- Folwren
Old 01-12-2006, 12:58 PM   #411
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Here's a post to warn the Corsairs off ship of attack:

Pio - can you put this onto Folwren's SAVE, please.

POST PLACED ~*~ PIO

-----------------

Arry’s post

Bahir spent most of the day on the crossbar of the mast. The deck below seemed far away, the figures who moved about on it like little ants. He settled his back against the mast pole, letting his feet dangle freely. There was a good view up and down the river, and to each side he could see the flatter areas near the water’s edge give way on each side to low lying hillocks amidst the grassier areas. A pretty enough land, but nothing like the sandy beauty of his homeland.

The ship rocked gently at its moorings, soothing him . . .

‘I must have fallen asleep!’ he grumbled to himself. The wind had grown chill.’ His belly grumbled in response, reminding him he’d had nothing to eat since much earlier in the day.

And here it was late evening, already. The sun just ready to sink below the horizon.

Bahir got up slowly and stood tall, stretching his muscles before descending the pole. He took a last look about at his airy world just before leaving the crosspiece. ‘What’s this,’ he said, frowning as his eyes scanned up the river. There were ships moving down the river at full sail. He shouted down to the guards who stood along the pier-side of the ship.

‘Raise the alarm! Many ships! Just upriver!’

He shouted his message again as he scrambled onto the deck and went running to take his position as message boy. Behind him, as he made for his spot, he could hear the large curled horns blaring out their warning to retreat to the ship And the orders of the First Mate to cast off the lines and bring the ship about. Already, the sailors were scrambling to position the sails as ordered . . .

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-12-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:12 PM   #412
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks -

So, . . . being a minor member of the crew, Boy will just wait now until the Captain or the Lord directs him . . .
Old 01-12-2006, 02:37 PM   #413
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

By the kind advise of Pio, I've editted and shortened my post. It gives everyone, particularly the corsair players, time to write stuff about the fighting or fleeing bit that they do, which ever. Pio figured it'd be better that way, and having thought about it, I think she's right.

So. . .that post that I wrote earlier today has been shortened dramatically, and hopefully everything will be fine now. I'm terribly sorry about earlier. 'Tis what comes of being hasty.

-- Folwren
Old 01-14-2006, 08:44 PM   #414
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've talked to Fordim, and I will hopefully get a post up as Chakka in the next couple of days. It's been a bit difficult to try and get oriented into the story, as well as such a 'meaty' character, as Aman so aptly put him. And there seems to be quite a lot happening... But here's to ignoring a research paper and theology test...

-Durelin
Old 01-15-2006, 04:38 AM   #415
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question

Slight confusion here -- Anguirel, you have the dead blond boy found in your quarters. Bahir packed him off to the captain's quarters and left him dead in Rakin's bed.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:48 AM   #416
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Argh! Sorry, missed that. So all I see is the liquor bottle. Right. Editting will be done.

Fixed. Sangalazin is cross about the theft rather than heartbroken about the murder...

No, not fixed. The wine, too, is in Rakin's room. Blast. I'll do a major overhaul.

Last edited by Anguirel; 01-15-2006 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:40 AM   #417
Dunwen
Wight

Dunwen has just left Hobbiton.
Another Sergeant for the Raca

Alcarillo, Lommy & Kath: Er, I seem to have created another sergeat for the Raca -- Sergeant Angaden, in charge of the ship's archers. I think he's like the chief archer, and is in the rigging right now to oversee their part of the battle. (And of course, he may take a few shots himself.)

-- Dunwen
Old 01-16-2006, 05:09 AM   #418
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

SAVE filled.

Boy has reappeared and is heading for his place somewhere on the ship's riggings . . .

We await your further commands, O Captain!
Old 01-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #419
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nuts. I missed Anguirel's mess up. It would have been humorous to see Sangalazin's reaction to that, even if it wasn't supposed to be there. I regret not being able to read it.

And yet, we still have to look forward to Aman's post. I'm going to wait for her to write before I draw the Gondorian ships any closer.

-- Folwren
Old 01-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #420
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Save filled, finally. I do hope it's alright. It might be a little late in the actual events, I think, so if I should add to it, please let me know. I'm still trying to get my bearings, as it seems I'm jumping in on a lot of action.

If someone could give me a little bit better of an idea where the plot is precisely right now through a PM, that would be great. Sorry.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:35 PM   #421
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
*cough*cough* Folwren, people are trying to PM you, but we some space in your inbox! *cough*
Old 01-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #422
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm sorry!! I've been getting so many PM's of late, it's not funny! I'm not used to getting two or three or four a day. Anyhow, there's room now, I should imagine.

-- Folwren
Old 01-18-2006, 04:15 PM   #423
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Many thanks to Folwren for sorting me out. I know what I'm dealing with now.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:47 AM   #424
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Leaf

It has gotten worse as of late. My workload has tripled. WHen I'm not doing school work i'm doing manual labor around the neighborhood. My internet is still broken (I'm typing this from my friends laptop). I will try to do what I can with the time I get. Thank you Folwren for helping me in my time of need. Hurricane season is only a few more months away, which gives us little time to rebuild. Once again, I apologize for all the confusion and troubles I've caused.

I have not lost hope. Hopefully, my cable will be installed a week or two from now. I'll have some form of basic communication then.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 01-23-2006, 02:54 PM   #425
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Can we gear into action again? I'm awaiting Aman's SAVE eagerly, and the first real battle is but a second away...
Old 01-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #426
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'm as ready as you are, Anguirel, to start writing again. But, as I said earlier, I'm waiting on Aman. I have patience, and time, so there are few wories on my part - as long as the rest of you don't drop the game!

Perky, I'm terribly sorry that things are so busy for you. I hope that everything goes well with rebuilding and that nothing more comes this next huricane season.

-- Folwren
Old 01-24-2006, 12:15 PM   #427
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Incidentally-if other people think it's feasible-I've thought of a way the Corsairs could fight this out and the Fame and Fortune could still escape.

Namely, the Corsair ships run up Gondorian colours and then use their speed to slip among the Gondorian fleet, confusing it. In the ensuing battle, the Corsair flagsip could weave through the Gondorian blockade and out to the open sea. The other three Corsair ships can be defeated by the gallant Gondorians, though naturally with a few losses.

Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2006, 12:28 PM   #428
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

That wouldn't work. The ships and crew look too much unalike.

You want to actually fight then? I'm not sure what we could do. I still think that if ever one Gondorian ship connected herself with a Corsair, the Corsair is going to be greatly outnumbered and very much crippled, so I don't think it'd be able to escape after that. However, if we fought a while from a distance before the Fame and Fortune left, that's possible.

And I'm not sure that I understood you right, so if this answer ^^ seems to be coming from somewhere out of the blue, then tell me what I missed.

-- Folwren
Old 01-24-2006, 12:35 PM   #429
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Alright. Allow me to emit a brief, petulant waah.

In terms of broadsides fired, obviously no one has cannon, but I'm assuming besides normal archery ballistas and a few small catapults could be employed.

Possibly some kind of Greek fire also? Maybe if only the Corsairs had this it would buy the time for the Fame and Fortune Corsairs to do a runner.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #430
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Alright. Allow me to emit a brief, petulant waah.
Go ahead. Sorry to disapoint you. . .didn't want to, but couldn't really help it.

Quote:
In terms of broadsides fired, obviously no one has cannon, but I'm assuming besides normal archery ballistas and a few small catapults could be employed.
Ah. Now that's an idea. I didn't know what sort of firing weapons they'd have besides archers. . .that one had me stumped. I'll think about it.

Quote:
Possibly some kind of Greek fire also? Maybe if only the Corsairs had this it would buy the time for the Fame and Fortune Corsairs to do a runner.
I haven't looked it up yet, but should work.

-- Folwrne
Old 01-27-2006, 01:11 PM   #431
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I am very sorry that when I volunteered to enter into this game and take over Fordim's character I have not had more time to commit to this game to help keep it moving along. School has been a major issue, and now I'm afraid I might have managed to sprain my back! Hopefully I've only pulled something, and will be back very very soon. Sorry again!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:15 PM   #432
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
I am very sorry that when I volunteered to enter into this game and take over Fordim's character I have not had more time to commit to this game to help keep it moving along. School has been a major issue, and now I'm afraid I might have managed to sprain my back! Hopefully I've only pulled something, and will be back very very soon. Sorry again!
No problem; the game isn't moving alone anyway at the moment...
Old 01-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #433
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Aman, if you're out there, we really need you.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #434
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

...Oh dear. I do apologise.

I am most grateful that Rakin's ships aren't yet destroyed - I mean, y'know, always a good thing that my character remains alive, and somewhat surprising after such a time. Thank you. And sorry: I have been ridiculously busy and haven't had time to make a good enough RPG post.

I'd like to fight, absolutely. Greek fire sounds superbly sneaky, Anguirel - have ourselves a wee bit of that. Archers will also be fine, probably again with fire - the corsairs don't take prisoners. Well. Not for long. Keep trying to stab us in the back when we do, doncha know My thoughts are this: Rakin will basically still be totally high on the destruction of the village and his newfound power with Sangalazin. He won't be able to resist the oppurtunity to have a go at the Gondorians: he's feeling on top of the world and two of the corsair fleets strongest ships are there. But he isn't entirely careless (pretty close, but not quite), so I reckon they'll attack, do as much damage as possible (probably involving playing with fire - lots of it) - and then attempt to hightail it out of there as soon as possible.

As to how exactly that would be achieved...Broadsides, like you've said, archers being the main offensive to start. Then some foolhardy corsairs, on the other ship (not the Fame and Fortune) swing across and actually board the ship - mistake #1. Rakin is furious, but now what was supposed to be a quick triumphant skirmish before the escaped has became an earnest fight, they're missing say a dozen men between the 2 ships after the townspeople actually put up a fight, and the Fame and Fortune is suddenly in danger. The triumph of the battle is somewhat wearing off, adrenaline of battle is kicking in - and so are the Gondorians as one of them returns the favour by swinging across to the Fame and Fortune - lets have a main character, why not! Which of you 'good guys' fancies a bit of a hero moment and a good battle with Rakin?! Thus chaos and good old fashioned swashbuckling ensues.

Then my plans get altogether more sketchy-bulletpointed...

- Using slightly less than strictly fair techniques (namely, yeah, the greek fire, plus that ruddy great spike on the end of the xebec - can do damage at speed), the Fame and Fortune manages to escape.
. . . . - The other corsair ship gets taken/sunk?
. . . . - We manage to take prisoners? Could be a chance for a little cross-ship interaction? A main character?

- We high-tail it away - Fame and Fortune rather damaged. It also did not escape Rakin's notice that when he was battling away above deck, Sangalazin utterly failed to show. Ooh, tension. Juicy.

- The Gondorians have also sustained some serious damage (and a hostage situation?); they take some time to regroup, then take the trail to Umbar, where the Fame and Fortune, and all its stormy crew, are headed with as much speed as possible - although he wouldn't willingly admit it, Rakin is shaken by the sheer size of the Gondorian fleet, and the fact that the rest of the fleet failed to show. Where were the rest of the ships that Azaryan had supposedly been gathering?
. . . . - I sense a betrayal. Once again, ooh, juicy.
. . . . - Time on both ships as they make for Umbar, character interaction yadda yadda yadda.

- Gondor-corsairs showdown before we get to Umbar or after they reach Umbar?
. . . . - Corsair backup? Lets get a full scale sea-battle going...
. . . . . . . - Rakin summons as much backup as he can from Umbar, the corsair ships gather. He doesn't immediately mention his agreement with Azaryan - but some of the minor lords do. The realisation that Azaryan has died while h Rakin surfaces - and suspicion immediately falls upon Rakin. After all, who would suspect Sangalazin of killing his own cousin, the one who he needed to rule beside him?
. . . . . . . . . . . - As the corsair troops gather and take to sea, Rakin faces his own showdown back at Umbar as Sangalazin double crosses him and denies all knowledge of the plot against Azaryan and his deal with Rakin. Rather sticky situation for the dear ol' Captain.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . - ....I will somehow work out a way to get out of that one. Well, Rakin gets to sea again anyway, even if it's only an escape - and he takes Sangalazin with him (potential for hostage situation #2 because hey, why not)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . - Sangalazin comes clean and helps him out?
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . - If hostage #1 stands, he uses that to bargain himself out?
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . - Battles his way out
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . - Uses Sangalazin to get out, taking his dear half-brother hostage and getting to the Fame and Fortune for an escape route.

- Sea battle ensues! Or land battle, I guess, through the streets of Umbar. Or, hey, both... The corsairs have all their power out, but its at late notice: the Gondorians were ready. Fame and Fortune is one of the heading forces of the battle, but then...
. . . . - Slave revolt? The thought still stands...
. . . . - Sangalazin will either try to double-cross Rakin or vice versa. I seriously doubt both, if either, of them are gonna come out of this alive.

...and through this longwinded series of events (told from the corsair sides, sorry, but Gondorians will of course be fleshing out from their side and I'll not speculate from both sides...), Umbar falls.

Whew.

Feel free to add to or discount some of all of that, event just for the pure incomprehensibility. Thoughts? Again, my apologies for my absense...

Last edited by Amanaduial the archer; 01-29-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:07 PM   #435
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Great plans!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman
- Using slightly less than strictly fair techniques (namely, yeah, the greek fire, plus that ruddy great spike on the end of the xebec - can do damage at speed), the Fame and Fortune manages to escape.
. . . . - The other corsair ship gets taken/sunk?
. . . . - We manage to take prisoners? Could be a chance for a little cross-ship interaction? A main character?
I've spoken about that last part with the Gondorians through PMs. My idea is this: a slave is captured (or rescued, however you like to put it) from the Fame and Fortune and is kept aboard the Raca. Curamir is sent to ask the slave questions about the corsairs, and ends up finding out that his father, Ferethor, is still alive and is aboard the Fame and Fortune. That way, Curamir knows his dad is still living and the story gains a twist of longing, hope, and reunion.

What do you Corsairs think of this? Plausible?
Old 01-30-2006, 01:36 AM   #436
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Yes. Absolutely plausible.

While Sangalazin certainly won't himself swashbuckle, Aman, you may or may not have noticed that some of the Black Guard, led by Andlang, are getting dissatisfied. Andlang will lead the fifteen Guards who had to stay behind last time to do some killing.

I also have a vague idea about Andlang nicking Sangalazin's royal, never-used longsword and giving it to Rakin, whether for use or just as a symbol.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:50 AM   #437
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Haven't read Aman's full post, but wanted to say real quick -

Go right ahead, everyone, start writing about what you're planning for.

-- Folwren
Old 01-31-2006, 12:24 PM   #438
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alright, I am back with more time and finally able to make a proper reply to several things that have been said earlier.

I finally got around to reading that link on Greek Fire. . .it took a miserably long time to get aroudn to it, I know, but that can't be helped. I don't quite understand - was the stuff unquenchable? I don't like the idea of having my ship burned from beneath me. I don't mind flaming arrows, those are quite reasonable, but the Greek Fire sounded formidable, to say the least. We can do something like, but can't it please be something that we can at least put out when it catches on fire?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aman:
The triumph of the battle is somewhat wearing off, adrenaline of battle is kicking in - and so are the Gondorians as one of them returns the favour by swinging across to the Fame and Fortune - lets have a main character, why not! Which of you 'good guys' fancies a bit of a hero moment and a good battle with Rakin?! Thus chaos and good old fashioned swashbuckling ensues.
I have my doubts about any of the Gondorian ships fighting hand to hand with The Fame and Fortune. I'd be just fine with the idea, if you could think of a way your ship could escape after being boarded. That's what it would take, I think, for one of the main characters from one of our ships to board and fight with Rakin. I think that the Corsair ships would have the best chance, in this battle, if they weren't linked to any Gondorian ship. Generally, when two ships are brought side by side, and one crew boards the other, the battle is fought out, and one or the other comes out the winner. . .
I don't mean to shatter any of your ideas or your excitement, but I don't see how it's possible. We can fight with the other Corsair ships (the ones who's foolhardy sailors decided to get too close to our ships and try to board one or two of them), and we can even fight with Fame and Fortune, exchanging a few blows from a distance, but I don't think it's possible for anyone to get close enough to board her.

I don't know if I'm making any sense. To myself, I seem to be rambling.

Okay, here, I think it will work if, as Aman said, the Corsair ships run in and do a bit of damage to us Gondorians. We'll be half expecting that, because that's how Corsairs act - flirting with danger and what not, attacking first, instead of running right away. . .

And then they can attempt to make their retreat. We manage to catch two or maybe even a third of your four ships (Fame and Fortune is included in there) and we give whatever we catch a good working over, so to speak, while Fame and Fortune and possibly the last Corsair flee down river. Those ships that we catch and board, we'll be able to take prisoners/free slaves as necessary for the story. The Raca can even be one of the Gondorian ships that boards a Corsair. Or, to get really overwhelmed, and since we do have rather many ships, there could even be two Gondorian ships connected to a poor Corsair at once.

With all your fire damage done, and maybe even some ramming, we'll have to stop at Pelargir and do the best we can with repairs, and help the city get back on her feet after the attack. In a week, hopefully, we'll be well on our way, though, fully repaired and prepared, once again for battle.

Does that cover everything? If anyone would like to add anythign or disagree or whatever, go right ahead.

-- Folwren
Old 01-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #439
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Greek fire burnt until it had worn itself out. Water had no effect on it it.

It was also psychologically damaging because enemies would hesitate on seeing its siphons.

Its only disadvantage was its fickleness-it sometimes set fire to ships on the same side as those firing it.

However, I think it would be a really nifty addition. It would stop the Gondorians from crushing us at once by superior numbers, and it could initiate some boarding action with Gondorians desperately swashbuckling across in order to silence the siphoners.

Its technological/chemical nature also makes it a suitable weapon for Tolkien villains. It'll be suspenseful reading in the RP...can our heroes silence the gunners? When are the flames going to stop? Oh, wow, it's been plastered across one of the Corsairs' own vessels!

About the boarding/slave freeing-all of the slaves in play are on the Fame and Fortune, so it needs to be boarded, or at least approached very closely, if some slaves are to be freed. Perhaps the Raca could come close, fighters on both sides swing across, a few slaves slip through the chaos, and then our xebec bring out the big guns-the fire siphons-causing theRaca to beat a hasty retreat?

In other words, to advance the slave plot and the soldier plot this may have to be an exception to your "generally"-the story put slightly ahead of the realism.

Or we could just cut that, but then I don't see how the Ferethor thing will ever be resolved...
Old 01-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #440
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

What you just said makes sense, I think. I apologize for being pushy and too realistic in this case. I know that Alcarillo and the others on the Raca want this Ferethor thing to work, and you Corsairs were desperately excited about the Greek Fire and fighting itself. I'm not about to squash too many people's toes to make me happy, and I'm open, too. . .so let's do what you think best.

-- Folwren