The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #401
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Is that eyeliner, Eomer? Goodness, you really do find everything you could ever want here...dead people, LotR, roleplaying, and guys wearing eyeliner....

TGWBS - You do look like Ghandi! Cool....
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:51 PM   #402
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
dead people, LotR, roleplaying, and guys wearing eyeliner....
Mmm, guys wearing eyeliner...

Sorry, what? Spaced out for a second there.

Eomer looks somewhat like Syd Barrett .
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 AM   #403
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Sorry to burst your bubble, Eomer, but it seems to me someone else beat you to the eyeliner trend. If you'll look closely, dancing spawn seems to be wearing eyeliner, too. Of course I could be wrong.

But if it's any consolation, I don't think anyone else in this forum with a Y chromosome would dare to do something like that. But again, I could be wrong.

the guy who be short looks nothing like I imagined him. But I like how tranquil you look in that pic.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
Eomer of the Rohirrim looks suspiciously like someone from my Church. hmmm...
This is strange, but after a while he began to look suspiciously like someone from my church.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 08-04-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:11 AM   #404
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
If you'll look closely, dancing spawn seems to be wearing eyeliner, too. Of course I could be wrong.
No, I'm afraid that you're right. I don't usually wear eyeliner (at least that much) but that was a kind of a special occasion.

Mr. MacCulloch looks very Gondorian!
Old 08-04-2005, 01:27 AM   #405
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mr. MacCulloch looks very Gondorian!
He'd be aghast to read that - he is definitely a Dwarf!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:37 AM   #406
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Why do I have the feeling that Eomer and Bruce should be switching pictures?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:18 AM   #407
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Thank you for putting my picture up Tigerlily!
Old 08-04-2005, 01:55 PM   #408
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
But if it's any consolation, I don't think anyone else in this forum with a Y chromosome would dare to do something like that [wear eyeliner]. But again, I could be wrong.

Well, fine, only once. I live in a town that would be quite adverse to any male wearing eyeliner on a regular basis. Ugh. (Also, not caring about my appearance by not, for example, gelling my hair or applying eyeliner means I get extra sleep .)

People keep saying I look nothing like they imagined me... what was different? (PM me unless you want to make it public...)
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:37 AM   #409
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
TGWBS: you were older in my mind.

And did somebody say guys in eyeliner? *melts* There's just something about those tragically emo guys with the black floppy hair, slightly paler than normal skin, and dark eyes... *sigh* I mean... um... right. *runs away*
Old 08-05-2005, 08:12 AM   #410
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I'll have you know I am not an 'emo guy'.

It's closer to Clockwork Orange than whiny bands.

But dancing spawn looks much better with it than I do.

I haven't seen Bruce post in a very long time but I'd love to hear the story behind that pic. tgwbs looks slightly psycho-killerish, just like I thought he would!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:07 AM   #411
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
But dancing spawn looks much better with it than I do.
Nah, don't be so modest. The trick is to line your both eyes instead of just one.

Mattius reminds me of one Finnish semi-celebrity (in the pic where he has more hair) but I just can't recall who... Both his pics are cool, though.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:12 PM   #412
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
I'll have you know I am not an 'emo guy'.
Actually, I had my thoughts trained on this guy that I'd like to know (he's a friend of a friend). Actually, he looks a bit like Mattius (with more hair). Mattius with the 'hawk reminds me of the time I convinced a buddy of mine to buzz himself one. His girlfriend was less than happy with me (though I told her to foist the blame on him, since it's not like he couldn't say no). Anywho... at that point, he looked a lot like Matt. Weird how people tend to look like people we already know.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:46 PM   #413
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Well, fine, only once. I live in a town that would be quite adverse to any male wearing eyeliner on a regular basis. Ugh.
Wear it anyway! Reject social norms, O Short One!
Old 08-05-2005, 08:04 PM   #414
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Bruce MacCulloch is not only a dedicated and enthusiastic member of the Society for Ancient Anachronisms (or is that 'of' rather than 'for'?), but he also indulges in the ancient art of armoury. I know he has told some of us how he built himself a shield and it might be that he has built that very helm you see in the picture.

I cannot help but see Eomer as a folk singer from bygone days, ye formerly famous Donovan, he of colours, catch the wind, sunshine superman, hurdy gurdy man, and mellow yellow fame. They are both, curiously, born in Scotland. But Eomer's voice and humour here are nothing like Donovan's etheral songs of childlike wonder. Catch a few pics for comparison here.

I would never have pictured Eomer this way. Something more robustly Pythonesque I think, born under the shadow of Castle Doune, just down the road from Stirling Castle.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 08-05-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #415
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

There are some people in the country today, who, by no fault of their own, are sane.

Oh my, Bethberry, you are right! Now Eomer is a combination of Syd Barrett and Donovan, mixing space rock and folk into a new hybrid which is juts luscious to the ears.

*and Enca prances off to the Gates of Dawn, waiting for the Piper and the Hurdy-Gurdy Man to come by, singing songs of lo-o-ove*
Old 08-06-2005, 07:18 AM   #416
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

My mother and father would be ever so proud of those comparisons (though not more so than I)!

I had originally wanted to pose with a cup of tea (with the pinky outstretched, of course).

I'm surprised there are not more black-and-white photos, and I am delighted to represent Sepia in the gallery.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 08-06-2005 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Wild beavers broke into my room and forced me to do this
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #417
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Jolly good show, What, what?

Eomer, you’re a true English gent! All you need is a top hat, a pocket watch, a pipe and a monocle!

Innocently I have all of these. And wear them as often as I can. And say things like "Jolly good show old boy!" and "What what?" and of course, "Splendid!"
Ah, I know its not doing the stereotypes any favours, but I like the idea that the americans seem to have, that ALL British people without exception, have huge manor houses, drink tea and have butlers. *Rambles off into the distance before being shot with crossbows fired out of cannons*
Old 08-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #418
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Oh my, Bethberry, you are right! Now Eomer is a combination of Syd Barrett and Donovan, mixing space rock and folk into a new hybrid which is juts luscious to the ears.
Sorry, but Eomer is far more Sid Vicious than Syd Barrett.

"God save the ****ing Queen!"
Old 08-07-2005, 11:14 AM   #419
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Eomer, you’re a true English gent! All you need is a top hat, a pocket watch, a pipe and a monocle!

Innocently I have all of these. And wear them as often as I can. And say things like "Jolly good show old boy!" and "What what?" and of course, "Splendid!"
Ah, I know its not doing the stereotypes any favours, but I like the idea that the americans seem to have, that ALL British people without exception, have huge manor houses, drink tea and have butlers. *Rambles off into the distance before being shot with crossbows fired out of cannons*
Hookbill, I think that may be because all of us across the pond are secretly fantasizing that Lord peter Wimsey really does exsist and that if we went to England we could find him. That said, I thankfully don't have that image of all British people. My next-door neighbor is English, and he certainly isn't the Wimsey type. Actually, I didn't even realize that you were British untill the other day. I had somehow decided in my head that you were about 13 and American. Sorry!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:59 AM   #420
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You take your like in your hands by telling Eomer he is an English Gent...... but ... I still think of him as looking more like a young Neil Oliver....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 12:00 PM   #421
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pipe I say!

Oromin, I am deeply and personally insulted by the suggestion!

Nope, British and proud of it don't you know? Always have been. Hope always to be. I did actually mention this on my user information page. Although I think I say I live in "Good old Blighty" being a First World War term for Britain. [EDIT and I'm 17 earth years old, by the way]

But, before this post goes so off topic that The Barrow Wight explodes this thread, I'd better say something...

I like the armour Bruce MacCulloch is wearing. Looks kind of Rohan-ish!
But I think the page needs more Lord of the Rings related things in it!
Old 08-07-2005, 12:25 PM   #422
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Yeah I didn't figure out that you weren't 13 and American until I looked in your profile. This might possibly be because your picture (see, this is on topic!) reminded me of someone I know in RL who is American and several years younger than you are, and I just kind of blended you with him in my head.

Last edited by Orominuialwen; 08-07-2005 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Nooooooooooooooooo! (Forgot a space ;-) )
Orominuialwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:09 PM   #423
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

I thought of using my Eomer action-figure in the pic but then I realised that, next to Thenamir et al, it would have been a pathetic attempt to incorporate Lord of the Rings props.

And who's Neil Oliver? Should I be happy with the comparison?
Old 08-07-2005, 01:12 PM   #424
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh yessssss Oh yessssss..... save that he is rather older than you..he is the historian on Coast and ..I think the term is "Thinking woman's crumpet"!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/coast/images/neil-oliver.jpg

Old 08-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #425
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

I'll take that!

However, there are still many many many Barrowdowners who need to get their pictures in that gallery. You know who you are. (and yes, I am allowed to say that now that I finally got my pic in)

*coughs*
Old 08-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #426
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well don't hold your breath for mine. It would take my soul away......

Old 08-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #427
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Pipe The pipe with it's rats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Well don't hold your breath for mine. It would take my soul away......
Well, this is the Barrow Downs, so that might be appropriate!
Old 08-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #428
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Well, this is the Barrow Downs, so that might be appropriate!

I also fear it would be too traumatic especially for the Phantom ... and besides... it just won't happen.....

Old 08-07-2005, 07:09 PM   #429
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
However, there are still many many many Barrowdowners who need to get their pictures in that gallery. You know who you are. (and yes, I am allowed to say that now that I finally got my pic in)
You better not waste your time waiting for mine either. I'm a little behind in the technology world. I don't got a digital camera, I think my cellphone is from 1998, and I just recently upgraded to AOL 9.0. So, first I need a digital camera, and the way my technology trend has been going it aint gonna be for a while.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:20 PM   #430
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I've been toying with sending in a pic for awhile... however, I don't have anything recent that I like, so the picture I sent in would probably be from when I was about 10. I have lots of pics that I like from when I was little...

Besides, I like hearing how people imagine me. Especially phantom's recent, "She isn't a horse. She's a centaur."

But great pictures to everyone who has sent them in. Eomer, you do look like a familiar sort of friendly guy. Not familiar like I've seen you before, just... familiar. If that makes sense.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:35 AM   #431
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer

*coughs*
They do? How, pray tell?
Old 08-08-2005, 06:15 AM   #432
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
I don't got a digital camera, I think my cellphone is from 1998

That must be a brick.... my 1997 one was fairly substantial. But the batteries never seem to last so I have had several since guess it may be inevitable that the next has a camera. I have an excellent 35mm cameras and no plans to change.....

Old 08-08-2005, 06:21 AM   #433
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
Thinlomien's picture is pretty neat.
Thanks

Has anyone other noticed that this has become such a praise page, that it wouldn't be a wonder that there'd be a Miss/Mister Barrow-Downs competition...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:53 PM   #434
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

No excuse Boro. I don't have a camera either but I managed to borrow one.

Firefoot, I know what you mean, and thanks! Lhuna, you're already sending in a pic so I won't bother to answer your question ( ). Thinlomien, it's true; you're picture is very nice. Some people are just photogenic. How I envy them. I have a good pic/bad pic ratio of around 1 to 50.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:10 PM   #435
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Spawn et Eomer

Dancing spawn looks nothing like I imagined her. I don't know exactly what I imagined, but your hair was down and you were less pretty... erm... *rephrases so as not to offend* more bland! *It still looks offensive* You know what I mean...

Eomer - For some reason, I always imagined Eomer with straight, dirty blond long hair to about his shoulders. My mental image of him used to be so, laughing crazily whilst swilling a cup of tea around and dropping the contents over himself... Yeah. Anyway, again, more attractive than I imagined. Seems to be a recurring thing actually... maybe I should just imagine all the un-photoed Downers as models or something? Work on your eyeliner though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomerohirrim
Some people are just photogenic. How I envy them. I have a good pic/bad pic ratio of around 1 to 50.
Sigh, I know what you mean. That's the only photo I could find of me that I was willing to show (which actually showed my face).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlomien
it wouldn't be a wonder that there'd be a Miss/Mister Barrow-Downs competition...
Interesting idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Wear it [eyeliner] anyway! Reject social norms, O Short One!
Hehe... well... I already reject most social norms anyway. I would just rather avoid wearing eyeliner with so many chavs around... Actually, I don't remember what eyeliner looks like on me. All I remember is that lip gloss doesn't suit me...
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:55 PM   #436
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Those without a digital camera could use a regular photo and a scanner. There are sometimes one at the library, or you could always commandeer a friend's.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:49 PM   #437
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I'm positive I don't have a scanner either...or if I do I don't know about it.

Eomer- The pic I did send in, is of course not myself but it may suit people's imagination of myself until I do get one.

Mith- I'm quite sure Europeans are much more advanced in Cellphone technology then us Americans. Talking to a German girl I met her Cellphone is something that we probably won't see in America until 2010. So my Cellphone from 98 is probably something that came out in England in 92 or something lol.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:08 PM   #438
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWBS
All I remember is that lip gloss doesn't suit me...
That's alright... it doesn't look good on me either.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #439
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Mith- I'm quite sure Europeans are much more advanced in Cellphone technology then us Americans. Talking to a German girl I met her Cellphone is something that we probably won't see in America until 2010. So my Cellphone from 98 is probably something that came out in England in 92 or something lol.
Nooo, I beg to differ. I should introduce you to my mobile phone, Boromir: there are more technologically complicated cereal boxes.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:52 PM   #440
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I remember when my cousins uber-yuppie then husband was issued with a mobile phone by his work. It was the first any of us had seen close up (this was mid-eighties). It was like a old Roberts Radio with a standard receiver attached by a wire. It weighed about as much as a breize block and cost a small fortune.
Needless to say we gawped at it and said "it will never catch on......" . Now I have a triband clamshell that is so small I clip it to my bag so I can find it and it was not expensive .....

My friend had quite a spiffy little phone when I was in Florida in 99........