The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2002, 08:49 PM   #11
Lostgaeriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lostgaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

So much for remaining relatively anonymous!
My apologies for not self-editing.

Name (that you go by): Around here, it’s Lostgaeriel.
Future Aspirations: to design space suits or spacecraft for Mars mission
Goal in life: To work for NASA.
Short term goals: To finish my painting of Éowyn & Merry slaying the Witchking and to get thru 2nd year mechanical engineering with a B average next year.
Passion: Science and Art (what else is there?)
Hobbies: astronomy, drawing, painting, photography, hiking, writing poetry, watching baseball (while filling out the score sheet)
Famous for: being a karaoke star (amazed my co-workers at a sales conference)

Fave book: How can I limit it to only one? Cosmos, Contact and The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan, The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, Persuasion by Jane Austen, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams, Honest to Jesus: Jesus for a New Millennium by Robert W. Funk, Chaos by James Gleick, The Ascent of Man by Jacob Bronowski, Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare, The Challenger Launch Decision: Risky Technology, Culture, and Deviance at NASA by Diane Vaughan, Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger, Lewis & Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery by Dayton Duncan and Ken Burns, In His Own Write and A Spaniard in the Works by John Lennon, Recent Forgeries and SIGNLANGUAGE by Viggo Mortensen
Fave movie: 10 – OK? Casablanca, Singin’ in the Rain, You Can’t Take It With You, The Shop Around the Corner, Shane, Henry V (directed by Kenneth Branagh), Star Wars (the original 1977 release – you really had to be there, then), Apollo 13, A Walk on the Moon, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Fave sport: as spectator - baseball (Go Blue Jays!); as participant - hiking and horse-back riding (rarely get a chance at the latter)
Fave store: I’m including ‘services’ as well as ‘stores’ – places with great product and/or great service and attitude. I enjoyed talking with the owner of a great little hole-in-the-wall jewellery store called Vergina Gold Market at 12 Iphestou Street in Athens, Greece more than 20 years ago – bought a ring (nicknamed Narya) that I still love. I wonder if that shop is still there?

In Arizona (9 yrs ago): Turquoise Gallery, Joe Wilcox Indian Den, Native and Nature, and Silver Traditions in Sedona, the Tuba City Trading Post, Warner Bros. Studio Store in Scottsdale and Territorial Book in Tombstone. Finally Found…Antiques, etc. in Raleigh, NC. In Toronto, ON: Queen Street West in general, Efston Science, Aboveground Art Supplies, World’s Biggest Bookstore, Poison Ivy Hair by Design, Henry’s (photo/camera) and Downtown/Broadway Camera. Stratford, ON for the Festival and neighbouring Shakespeare for antiquing. Freeze-dried ice-cream and other delights from Space Trader Gift Shop at Johnson Space Center Houston. Best burgers at B.B. King’s Blues Club in Memphis tied with Fran’s on College St. and Lakeview Lunch on Dundas St., Toronto. Tree-free handmade papers from Fine Paper Co., Pasadena. Best chocolates from Kettle Creek Chocolates in St. Thomas, Digby’s in London and Sugar & Spice in Exeter - ON. Wonderful service when ordering from www.smartartpress.com and www.robertmanngallery.com.
Fave music: Don’t get me started! Queen, The Clash, John Denver, Peter Gabriel, The Beatles, George Harrison, John Lennon, Eagles, Robert Fripp, David Bowie, Brain Eno, Cheap Trick, Talking Heads, Ian Hunter, J. Geils Band, The Police, Arlo Guthrie, Carol King, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Cat Stevens, Simple Minds, Paul Simon, Riuchi Sakamoto, Rush, Judy Garland, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, George Frederick Handel, MASS Ensemble, B.B. King, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Ramones, Eric Clapton, Steve Miller Band, Fleetwood Mac, Doobie Brothers, The Guess Who, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Anthony Way, Charlotte Church, Frank Sinatra (early), Irving Berlin, George & Ira Gershwin, Arthur Freed & Nacio Herb Brown, Pink, Travis Tritt, Shania Twain, etc.
What you can't stand: closed minds and open-to-everything minds
What you plain dislike: licorice
Whom you admire: My mom, my dad, my sister, Carl Sagan, Jim Lovell, Gene Kranz, Martin Luther King Jr., Robert Kennedy, and *sigh* Viggo Mortensen!

What you most love to do: read
Your self-confessed flaws: perfectionist, procrastinator (they go hand-in-hand)
What intrigues/fascinates you: life, the universe and everything
What scares you: life, the universe and everything
Quotation to live by: Lostgaeriel cannot live by one quotation alone. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life." — Frank Zappa [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

"Always use the word impossible with the greatest caution." — Wernher Von Braun

"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are that good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." — Howard Aiken (1900 - 1973) American mathematician

Additional comments:

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." — Carl Sagan

"It's human nature to stretch, to go, to see, to understand. Exploration is not a choice, really; it's an imperative." — Michael Collins

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: Lostgaeriel ]