The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #1
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What did Tolkien really mean ....

.... by consciously Catholic in the revision?

I know there was a thread on Books for this some time ago, but I simply cannot find it. As I recall, it was a decidedly unresolved discussion anyway. And some ideas have been percolating in my gray matter on the topic lately anyway, so I thought I'd raise this up, yes, one more time, to see if new light can be shed on a topic that seems more thorny than most. Okay, here goes.

First off, I'm not sure this necessarily clarifies anything other than my thinking about it, but I believe it should be noted that this phrase is pulled from a letter Tolkien never intended for popular consumption. He didn't intend it to be published. It was a personal bit of correspondence between two men who were like-minded in terms of their faith; it was written to a Catholic cleric.

Thus, when Tolkien says that LotR was consciously Catholic in the revision, he's saying something to a private individual and expects immediate recognition of what is meant; it's a kind of code.

Okay, now let's take a look at a few things Tolkien did NOT say. He did not say that LotR was consciously

* Christian
* Anglican
* Calvinist
* Nazi
* English
* British
* Northern
* World War I or II

...in the revision; rather, Catholic.

Okay, now, here are the three things I've been able to come up with so far.

#1: I think it safe to say, considering what we know of Tolkien's anxieties regarding LotR, that this means, at least, that Tolkien removed, in the revision, anything that a Catholic, be he pope, cardinal, bishop, cleric, or true-to-the-faith layman, would find objectionable. But is this all Tolkien meant? I have my doubts. What else he may have meant by the phrase may best be assertained by the Letter itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien's Letters
The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision. That is why I have not put in, or have cut out, practically all references to anything like 'religion', to cults or practices, in the imaginary world. For the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism.
As ever, it seems that the final sentence is the key, but a very ambiguous one. He says there is symbolism. Yet elsewhere he says LotR is not an allegory. What 'bloody' symbolism is he talking about? Any notions?

#2: There is an idea running through LotR that has us "capture a renewed view of our world" such that we see trees and other growing things, but especially trees, as sacred. There is a sacramental attitude toward nature, as if it is imbued with more than the mere functionality of the wood that can be turned to boards, or the sap that can be turned to syrup, or what have you: a tree is a wondrous and very good thing in and of itself, and is alive and should remain so. To use Chesterton's speech, every tree "has a halo".

#3: In my latest "Mythlore" magazine, Volume 25, Number 1/2 (Fall/Winter 2006), A.R. Bossert writes an interesting article entitled, "Surely You Don't Disbelieve": Tolkien and Pius X: Anti-Modernism in Middle-Earth.

S/he shows that between 1908 (the dates of Pius' first encyclicals) and 1963 (Vatican II) the Catholic church took a strong Anti-Modernist stance, Modernism being described as an agnostic, immanentist, and evolutionist stance. Agnosticism represents the argument that human reason can only consider scientific phenomena (thereby excluding immaterial phenomena such as discerned spirits or truth). Immanentism represents the argument that religion proceeds entirely from within the human psyche, and that faith has no basis outside such an internal religious sentiment (therefore, everyone's opinion about deity is equally valid because it's all subjective anyway).

My point in bringing this up is that because of Vatican II, we tend to forget just how counter-cultural the Catholic church was between 1908 and 1963, standing root and stock, as it were, against the fundamental stances of Modernism. I'm reminded of Davem's comments regarding the Machine. Is not the Machine one of the phenomena that has grown out of (or grown alongside of) Modernism?

At any rate, what this says to me is that we have here another way that LotR may be considered "consciously Catholic in the revision", for it is Sauron who uses the most advanced technology; Saruman whose mind is made up of pulleys and gears (or whatever Gandalf said); it is Boromir who preaches the doctrine of "evil power in the hands of the good is still good". Since these kinds of things are what Catholicism stood against between 1908 and 1963, it makes sense that LotR can in this way also be considered "consciously Catholic in the revision".
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Beleg Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Pardon me for saying so but, I can see why this would be left "unresolved".

Quis ut Deus
Beleg Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:57 AM   #3
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
First up, I have two questions. One - what do you mean by 'bloody'? If there is symbolism, why is it 'bloody'? Tolkien doesn't say it's 'bloody', so why are we looking for this? Secondly - are we all sure how the word 'fundamentally' is used by Tolkien? Remember he may be using it in the older, looser, English sense, rather than in the modern sense which conjours up images of people whipping one another into a warlike religious frenzy.

Anyway...I think this quote should always be borne in mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien's Letters
The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision. That is why I have not put in, or have cut out, practically all references to anything like 'religion', to cults or practices, in the imaginary world. For the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism.
We should also remember that it was followed by the following words:

Quote:
However that is very clumsily put and sounds more self-important than I feel. For as a matter of fact, I have consciously planned very little;
So we know a couple of facts. He was writing to a Catholic priest and so we must remember his 'audience', and that he would be writing to that audience - he would hardly be expected to say "No! Lord of the Rings is a fully heathen work!" if writing to a priest, even if it was a "fully heathen work". So we must bear in mind that he would emphasise a point here that may not have been an overarching influence at all. This is also private correspondence. If he had wanted his readers to take his work in that way then he would have made a public statement after the fact; however he did not, and as such we must be careful. Hammond and Scull make the point in their new Companion & Guide that all Tolkien's Letters must be used with extreme caution by fans and scholars alike.

So that's that. Now for how much he 'consciously' planned - taking the second half of his statement into consideration, he admits that it is to a certain degree, bluster. He says he actually consciously edited very little, so I think right away we can cast aside any notions that Tolkien sat there with a red pen and a Catechism excising, adding and rewriting to 'Catholicise' his work. If there are Catholic references there, then they are small fry in the grand scheme of the story, and most of them he did not put there on purpose. It seems that if anything, this little bit of 'conscious revision' amounted to removal of references to Earthly religions, possibly an attempt to ensure this could not be mistakenly seen in any way as an allegory, as Tolkien's deep dislike of allegory is well-known.

Now to 'unconsciously Catholic'. I'm interested in lmp's ideas that this is to be found in the 'anti-machine' elements of the theme and in the idea that the earth itself is 'sacred', but these are not exlcusively Catholic ideals in any way shape or form (and I suspect that the Catholic Church is not, in fact, like that in general, as in its history it has sponsored scientists and it has made money like most churches have through business and industry), so I think it may be something else (though I want to explore those ideas too). And this is what I think it is: morality.

Without writing much more about it right now, so as to leave things for discussion, specifically Catholic morality can be found embedded in the story. The idea of 'marriage for life', and associated morality around sex, reproduction and love. The way that life is presented as sacred; I can think of no instances outside acts of war where the death sentence is used. There are Monarchs in Middle-earth, but they are there by 'divine right', harking back to the Medieval Kings, the days before Henry VIII separated the English throne from the authority of the Church in Rome. And at the point of Death, characters 'make their peace' and 'confess'. These are all pretty instinctive beliefs for a Catholic (except perhaps the third) and could indeed be called 'unconscious'. These kinds of things are what Tolkien absorbed into his story, not through choice, but simply because these are ways that he saw as the correct ways to live, in much the same way as if I wrote a story, I too might present capital punishment as ignoble; it would be instinctive.

So that's what I'm putting forwards. As Tolkien himself said, there was indeed little consciously planned, so it might prove fruitless to try and find that stuff, and it will be very little anyway in the grand scheme of one of the longest novels ever written. But there might indeed be some specifically Catholic influence, put there because he couldn't help it, because it was simply part of his outlook on everyday life, and it might best be found in the 'rules' of everyday life in Arda.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
what do you mean by 'bloody'? If there is symbolism, why is it 'bloody'?
As in "by the lady". Ignore it. Purely superfluous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
...are we all sure how the word 'fundamentally' is used by Tolkien?
Surely the classic definition should suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
So we know a couple of facts. He was writing to a Catholic priest and so we must remember his 'audience', and that he would be writing to that audience - he would hardly be expected to say "No! Lord of the Rings is a fully heathen work!" if writing to a priest, even if it was a "fully heathen work".
You seem to be implying that Tolkien is engaging in untruth. Are you suggesting that Tolkien is telling a fellow Catholic something he doesn't really think is true, because his audience happens to be Catholic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
So we must bear in mind that he would emphasise a point here that may not have been an overarching influence at all.
This is an assertion, of course, for it may well have been an overarching influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
This is also private correspondence. If he had wanted his readers to take his work in that way then he would have made a public statement after the fact;
Perhaps and perhaps not. What seems most likely to me is that this Catholic author is acknowledging something he knows to be true, to a fellow Catholic reader; basically letting him in on a secret that the rest of the reading world need not know. The problem is, we have the Letter before us. Isn't it true that his public statements by and large stated what he didn't want his readers to miscontrue from LotR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
...we must be careful.
Quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
Hammond and Scull make the point in their new Companion & Guide that all Tolkien's Letters must be used with extreme caution by fans and scholars alike.
It's a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
He says he actually consciously edited very little,
Incorrect. The quote is that he consciously planned very little. We have other records that show that he edited to the point of niggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
...we can cast aside any notions that Tolkien sat there with a red pen and a Catechism excising, adding and rewriting to 'Catholicise' his work.
This is a caricature. He probably had little need for a Catechism. And niggling (excising, adding and rewriting) is precisely the kind of thing Tolkien was known to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
If there are Catholic references there, then they are small fry in the grand scheme of the story, and most of them he did not put there on purpose.
Oh, really? Seeing as your assertion runs counter to Tolkien's own statment, care to explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
It seems that if anything, this little bit of 'conscious revision' amounted to removal of references to Earthly religions, possibly an attempt to ensure this could not be mistakenly seen in any way as an allegory, as Tolkien's deep dislike of allegory is well-known.
I agree that this is at least what he meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
Now to 'unconsciously Catholic'. I'm interested in Elempi's ideas that this is to be found in the 'anti-machine' elements of the theme and in the idea that the earth itself is 'sacred', but these are not exlcusively Catholic ideals in any way shape or form
Nevertheless, the historical record shows that Pius X purposely and aggressively set the entire Catholic Church on an anti-modernist footing from 1908 until 1963. So regardless whether these are exclusively Catholic ideals, there is a clearly Catholic impetus for Tolkien's anti-modernism that was extant during the primary years of his adult life and writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
I think it is... morality.
The 'instinctive' stuff you talk about is more of what I would consider "at least" what he probably meant. I disagree that Tolkien "couldn't help it". We have evidence from his Letters and elsewhere that he carefully scrutinized every word of the text of LotR.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
If he had wanted his readers to take his work in that way then he would have made a public statement after the fact; however he did not, and as such we must be careful.
I'm not so sure he would have made a public statement if that is how he wanted his readers to take his work. There is an option which this argument misses.

Perhaps he was content to avoid such dogmatic assertion. Perhaps he was happy to leave a story that allowed readers actively to come to an awareness of that presence or not, according to their own lights. He was not, after all, a hectoring teacher but instead strove to guide his students to experience literature for themselves. The worth of the tale lies not in the end 'meaning' but in the journey itself.

oh, and, allegory and symbolism are not synonymous. One can exist without the other.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:12 AM   #6
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Littlemanpoet --

I believe this is the thread you were intially referring to: And consciously so in the revision....

I believe that threads in Haudh-en-Ndengin don't normally pull up through a regular search.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:51 AM   #7
Child of the 7th Age

Littlemanpoet,
Oh, Littlemanpoet, what have you done? I've consciously been avoiding Books on account of too many interesting rpgs and the demands of real life. But you also know I can't resist a discussion on this topic.

Now that I've skimmed back over my posts from our last discussion, I wanted to say something more, partly drawing on that thread and partly on later ideas.

First, I've gone back and forth on this issue for years. I can really only tell you where I stand right now. If you talk to me next week, I may be somewhere totally different. Yet, generally, the more I've read, the more certain I feel that Tolkien's Legendarium and even the LotR were not consciously Christian or Catholic in their origins. There were other factors at work: the impact of the northern traditions, the pull of faerie, Tolkien's sense of loss that England had no stories of its own bound up with its language and its soil, a desire to bring about a moral rejuvenation, and certainly the sheer pull of language. Yet let me be careful to voice a caveat here. The author's religious beliefs naturally have some bearing on his personal frame of reference (as might happen with anyone) and this was bound to leave a few gentle footprints on the Legendarium, and definitely to influence the values he was espousing. Yet overall I see nothing to suggest that Tolkien was consciously attempting to put forward a Catholic or Christian position in his story when he first began his work. Those are two separate things. And I feel it remained that way for many years.

At the same time I sense a shift in Tolkien's attitudes that came about gradually. A tiny change here and another one there....what came out at the end was different than what was initially envisioned. That is why in one place we can have Tolkien saying that he sees the inclusion of the Christian religion as the greatest drawback of the Arthurian corpus yet a number of years later go on himself to highlight the exchange between Finrod and Andreth as part of the history of Arda with its obvious reference to the ultimate incarnation of Eru.

So many people, including Christopher himself, are downright uncomfortable with the Andreth dialogue and other pieces that JRRT wrote in the final years of his life. It seems like a drawing away from his original roots of faerie and northern myth and a pull towards modern "reality", an explicit attempt to incorporate scientific knowledge and a more doctrinaire religious attitude into the Legendarium itself. I feel that, like it or not, that is part of what happened to Tolkien and the Legendarium. No human being stands still, but very few of us are so dedicated to a particular story or subcreated world that we take it inside our soul and carefully develop it for over fifty years. That story is bound to reflect some of the personal changes that Tolkien went through during that long period.

To me the two most "glaring" examples of the religious revisions of the Legendarium were the Andreth dialogue, which has been mentioned above, and the depiction of Galadriel, something that was brought up in the last thread. The Galadriel who initially rebelled against the Valar is so, so different from the Galadriel given to us in the later Letters and in UT itself. The latter was actually written in the final month of Tolkien's life, although Christopher has said that his father wanted to incorporate this changed portrait of Galadriel into the Silm. When Tolkien describes Galadriel as "unstained" and says "she had committed no evil deeds", it's hard for me not to overlook the clear religious implication. Tolkien himself has acknowledged Galadriel's tie to Mary.

But we do have to be careful here. It seems to me there are two types of revisions going on. One is the actual revisions on paper such as the two instances cited above: Tolkien sat down and wrote something to be added to the Legendarium. Perhaps just as critical, however, were those revisions that occurred not on paper but in Tolkien's own mind. It wasn't the words that changed, but his understanding of the meaning behind those words. Lembas, for instance, had always been in LotR....suddenly, in the Letters, lembas becomes an echo of the Eucharist.

Sometimes Tolkien seems genuinely surprised when he sensed more meaning in his words than he had thought was there in the first place. I especially recall that very well known letter written just two years before Tolkien died when a member of parliament visited him. One thing led to another and the gentlemen asked: "Of course, you don't suppose , do you, that you wrote all that book yourself?" My jaw always drops open a little when I read Tolkien's reply:

Quote:
Poor Gandalf! I was too well acquainted with G. to expose myself rashly, or to ask what he meant. I think I said, "No, I don't suppose so any longer. I have never been able to suppose so. An alarming conclusion for an old philologist to draw concerning his private amusement. But not one that should puff any one up who considers the imperfections of "chosen instruments" and indeed what sometimes seems their lamentable unfitness for the purpose..."
Tolkien then went on to add that readers had approached him and, in first encountering the story, had felt the dim dawning of religious feeling.

So what are we to make of this? Any discussion of the Christian or Catholic revisions of LotR and the Legendarium must consider the contents of this rather strange letter. It seems to me we have three choices. Maybe Tolkien was lying: he said and wrote something that he didn't believe just to impress the M.P. or the person (Miss Batten-Phelps) to whom he sent the letter. Or perhaps in the last two years of his life, Tolkien was sadly deluded: he lacked the mental capacity or stability to interpret what was actually going on. To put it bluntly, he simply didn't understand the meaning of what he wrote in that letter. Or we can go with alternative three: that, after a lifetime of devotion to the Legendarium and less than two years before his death, Tolkien had come to believe that he had been chosen as an instrument by God to convey the story of Arda to those around him and that this story contained some profound religious truths that had an immediate impact on at least a few of his readers. Of the three options listed, I prefer this one. Morever, I don't think anyone begins thinking something like this overnight. It has to be a gradual thing.

It's not important whether you or I believe that Tolkien was God's instrument. What is important is that he felt this way by the end of his life. That's a pretty remarkable thing for anyone to say. That belief had to have influenced the development of the Legendarium in all its drafts and revisions, a fact that's buttressed by scattered evidence like the Andreth dialogue and the change in Galadriel. Someone (not me for sure!) is going to have to spend a very long time going through the drafts and nailing all this down, but I believe it's there. I'm sure it will be very fuzzy; the chronology won't be nice and tidy. Tolkien's mind can be called many things but "nice and tidy" isn't one of them.

You are right, too, to raise the issue of Tolkien's view of the machine and nature. It could be another piece of the puzzle, especially if we could somehow find out the particular lessons that Tolkien was taught as part of his religious instruction. I could cite historical examples of this kind of attitude towards the machine, but I don't know anything about Tolkien's exposure to such ideas. And overall I do not know enough about 20th century Catholic thought pre and post Vatican II to be able to address much of this with any confidence. It's also interesting to note that Tolkien expressed at least some reservations in his letters about the changes in the Catholic Church on account of Vatican 2.

Sorry this is so looong...

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-23-2006 at 02:41 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:51 AM   #8
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Surely the classic definition should suffice.
No. The word 'fundamentally' is a strong one, and on it hangs a lot of meaning. we must remember that Tolkien was also an Englishman and we use English differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
You seem to be implying that Tolkien is engaging in untruth. Are you suggesting that Tolkien is telling a fellow Catholic something he doesn't really think is true, because his audience happens to be Catholic?
No. But he was writing to a particular type of person, writing a personal letter, on a particular topic. In that respect we must consider that this was not intended as a public statement, it was a reply to a personal letter. Tolkien at all times made sure to state publicly things which he wanted readers to know about his work, for example that it was not an allegory. His letters were personal discussions about interpretation and you can often see that thoughts simply spring to his mind as he writes; and he wrote with ink, so letters would be very difficult to go back and correct (unlike nowadays when we have e-mail and 'delete' keys), which is why we so often see caveats made after grand statements. Indeed, in this self same letter we see that happening. So we need to check ourselves when using the Letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Perhaps and perhaps not. What seems most likely to me is that this Catholic author is acknowledging something he knows to be true, to a fellow Catholic reader; basically letting him in on a secret that the rest of the reading world need not know. The problem is, we have the Letter before us. Isn't it true that his public statements by and large stated what he didn't want his readers to miscontrue from LotR?
Have we read the introduction to Lord of the Rings, where Tolkien categorically states in a very public way:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien
As for any inner meaning or message it has in the intention of the author, none.
Let's look again at what he said the infamous letter:

Quote:
The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work; unconsciously so at first, but consciously in the revision. That is why I have not put in, or have cut out, practically all references to anything like 'religion', to cults or practices, in the imaginary world. For the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism. However that is very clumsily put and sounds more self-important than I feel. For as a matter of fact, I have consciously planned very little;
1. The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work Tolkien claims it is a 'fundamentally' Catholic work. He does not mean it is a 'rules based' 'fundamental' work, he means at heart it's the work of a Catholic.

2. unconsciously so at first He says it was done 'unconsciously so at first' - meaning he didn't even consider Catholicism as he was writing, and if anything got into his work, it wasn't there by intention.

3. but consciously in the revision He says 'consciously in the revision'. Here we're all at sea as we do not know if he sat there editing with Catholicism in mind, or if he means that he could see this after publication, or at which point in the whole process of writing. We just don't know. But he does tell us more later in the letter.

4. I have not put in, or have cut out, practically all references to anything like 'religion', to cults or practices, in the imaginary world He states that he did make a very conscious effort to remove anything which could 'identify' Real World religions in his text. Why did he do this? Because he recognised that his work was sympathetic to his own religion anyway? Because he didn't want intrusions on a secondary world? Because he thought it might seem offensive to fellow Catholics? Because it was a aesthetic decision as he was so fearful of allegory?

5. the religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism He knows that any links to real world religion are 'absorbed' into the story - meaning that the narrative carries any elements which may have found their way down his pen and onto the page. He also knows that amongst all the other symbolism he has chosen he may indeed have included some Catholic imagery.

6. The most important point, the one which gets forgotten. The Context. The Qualifier. However that is very clumsily put and sounds more self-important than I feel. For as a matter of fact, I have consciously planned very little; Tolkien's caveat. He says that what he has just written down is quite pompous, he cannot correct it (he does not have a word processor or Tippex!) but he can qualify it. Letters are not Literature, they are personal, and though Tolkien would occasionally throw one away, why do that when a Qualifier can be added? He tells his correspondent that the truth of it is that he actually did very little planning.

We can't argue with what Tolkien says, no matter how much we want something to mean something else. I'm not asserting, merely breaking down what he says, and using the full context of his statement, not just the juicy bit.

The other important point to note is Tolkien's particular distaste for literature with 'messages'. And this increased as he aged. He grew to dislike much of the work he is 'famed' for liking (much of which he wasn't exactly fanatical about anyway), including George MacDonald and GK Chesterton, and his favourites amongst the works of Lewis were his sci-fi tales, he disliked his religious works (possibly also due to Lewis being Anglican?) and Narnia.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:15 AM   #9
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
OK -- being terribly reductive and probably simplistic here...but couldn't Tolkien simply have been acknowledging the difference between the creating-writer who pens a first draft and the editing-writer who takes that great shambles and renders it "finished" insofar as he makes sure that it "makes sense" (i.e. is internally coherent, presents a unified story and vision of its characters and action).

The creating-writer (in this model) simply goes with the story and gets it down. The editing-writer is one who shapes that material -- and given that Tolkien was Catholic and his work engages with moral issues it makes sense that this act of re-vision would be undertaken from that perspective.

Maybe the Professor was just being honest: "As I was revising the story I was conscious of the fact that I was a Catholic man who was reshaping it and rendering it coherent."
Old 11-23-2006, 08:32 AM   #10
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
OK -- being terribly reductive and probably simplistic here...but couldn't Tolkien simply have been acknowledging the difference between the creating-writer who pens a first draft and the editing-writer who takes that great shambles and renders it "finished" insofar as he makes sure that it "makes sense" (i.e. is internally coherent, presents a unified story and vision of its characters and action).

The creating-writer (in this model) simply goes with the story and gets it down. The editing-writer is one who shapes that material -- and given that Tolkien was Catholic and his work engages with moral issues it makes sense that this act of re-vision would be undertaken from that perspective.

Maybe the Professor was just being honest: "As I was revising the story I was conscious of the fact that I was a Catholic man who was reshaping it and rendering it coherent."
Bearing in mind his dislike of allegory and 'message' Literature, you're probably correct. It likely does boil down to something as simple as the following: Tolkien taking up his text in the editing process and making sure references to Earthly religions were excised, and him making sure that the story itself was sympathetic to his own moral systems (e.g. you can imagine him making sure Aragorn behaved with perfect manners towards Eowyn, who obviously fancied him, a 'taken' man. And Love to Tolkien was a lifelong choice, something most definitely influenced by his Catholicism - though it might have also been personal!).
Old 11-23-2006, 07:49 PM   #11
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
What Child and Fordie said.

What Child said: after having writen three novels and two rpg's, I reread them and frequently think, "My God, I remember writing that part-- but I didn't plan on it coming together like that." There is the sense of looking over your shoulder, and up.

And (regarding what Fordie said) if I now were to go back and edit them-- as I have half done with TFW, but never finished -- much would change. I would niggle (always did.) And I would seek to convey something somewhat different than I had initially sought to convey. Why? Because of the things that I see in it now that I didn't plan when I wrote it; because of that sense of looking over my shoulder, that has changed the way I myself see the story. It has two authors, now.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:21 PM   #12
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
Perhaps [Tolkien] was happy to leave a story that allowed readers actively to come to an awareness of that presence or not, according to their own lights.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
The worth of the tale lies not in the end 'meaning' but in the journey itself.
Well, I don't know that I would say it in quite such a dogmatic 'not this but that' way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb
oh, and, allegory and symbolism are not synonymous. One can exist without the other.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child
I believe this is the thread you were intially referring to:
Yes. I was unable to find it. I dare say that index needs work.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by a Tolkien Letter
One thing led to another and the gentlemen asked: "Of course, you don't suppose , do you, that you wrote all that book yourself?" Poor Gandalf! I was too well acquainted with G. to expose myself rashly, or to ask what he meant. I think I said, "No, I don't suppose so any longer. I have never been able to suppose so. An alarming conclusion for an old philologist to draw concerning his private amusement. But not one that should puff any one up who considers the imperfections of "chosen instruments" and indeed what sometimes seems their lamentable unfitness for the purpose..."
after a lifetime of devotion to the Legendarium and less than two years before his death, Tolkien had come to believe that he had been chosen as an instrument by God to convey the story of Arda to those around him and that this story contained some profound religious truths that had an immediate impact on at least a few of his readers. Of the three options listed, I prefer this one.
Yes. For Tolkien, a Catholic, to acknowledge himself as an instrument of God is not hubris, not arrogance; rather, deepest humility. Believers in the Judeo-Christian God who are honest about their beliefs recognize that God is the ultimate Author, and uses believers, and unbelievers as well, to forward God's purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work Tolkien claims it is a 'fundamentally' Catholic work. He does not mean it is a 'rules based' 'fundamental' work, he means at heart it's the work of a Catholic.
fundamental:1a: serving as an original or generating source; 1b: serving as a basis supporting existence or determining essential structure or function.

There are other definitions that deal with change or science, or Religious Fundamentalism, but those are different things than what Tolkien is talking about. If Tolkien had meant that LotR is fundamentally the work of a Catholic, he would have stated it so. Instead he wrote that LotR is a fundamentally religious and Catholic work. Using the above, most general and (ahem) basic definition of the word, what Tolkien is thus saying (knowing how to use English correctly) is that Catholicism serves as an original or generating source; OR serves as a basis supporting LotR's existence OR determines LotR's essential structure or function. One of these three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
Here we're all at sea as we do not know if he sat there editing with Catholicism in mind, or if he means that he could see this after publication, or at which point in the whole process of writing. We just don't know. But he does tell us more later in the letter.
I agree with Fordim and Helen that Tolkien is most likely talking about the pre-publication revision process.

However that is very clumsily put and sounds more self-important than I feel. For as a matter of fact, I have consciously planned very little

This is humility, and downright self-effacing. Which is not to say that he's being untruthful; rather, he's downplaying any implication or inference that he is some kind of genius master planner who could pull off this major "trick". Which actually falls in line with the quote Child reminded us of earlier.

Anyway, I hope to relate some more of what I've learned in regard to 1908 - 1963 Catholicism and how it compares to LotR, but it'll have to wait for another day.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:46 AM   #13
Child of the 7th Age

Lalwende:

Quote:
He says 'consciously in the revision'. Here we're all at sea as we do not know if he sat there editing with Catholicism in mind, or if he means that he could see this after publication, or at which point in the whole process of writing. We just don't know. But he does tell us more later in the letter.
Littlemanpoet:

Quote:
I agree with Fordim and Helen that Tolkien is most likely talking about the pre-publication revision process.

Lalwende and Littlemanpoet

Just a brief comment on the whole question of "when". I don't feel that these two options---pre-publication revision or identifying an additional layer of meaning after publication---are necessarily exclusive. I see this whole process as occurring very slowly over a long period of time, almost like water dripping onto a rock and gradually making an indentation. I do think it's easier to document pre-publication revision with some precision than to try and determine at which point Tolkien began seeing new meanings in already existing works.

There is, however, a very intriguing quotation in the "Religion" entry of the new Reader's Guide that does allude to the fact that Tolkien sometimes came to read in new religious meanings even after publication. This reference actually came from the January 1980 edition of the Minas Tirith Evening Star. In 1979, Professor George Sayer, Humphrey Carpenter and Clyde Kilby were pooling their remembrances of Tolkien and the question of Christian influence on Lord of the Rings arose. The meeting took place at Wheaton College where Kilby was professor and curator of the nascent Marion Wade collection. In this article Professor Sayer stated that Tolkien

Quote:
very much objected to the view that he wrote his books as Christian propaganda or anything like that. He wrote them as stories. He would sometimes pull a bunch of American letters or reviews towards him and say, "You know, they're now telling me that..." and then he would say some of the things they'd told him about The Lord of the Rings He'd say, "You know, I never thought of that. I thought I was writing it as pure story." He came gradually to believe some of the things that, well, you were telling him.
The italics are mine. When I read this, I couldn't help but laugh. Sayer's reference to "you" in "you were telling him" undoubtedly refers to Clyde Kilby who was hosting their meeting at Wheaton College. Kilby was a devoted Christian (also interested in the writings of Lewis) and, as we know, had worked with Tolkien for one summer helping him with Silm. I have an image of Kilby spending long hours shmoozing with Tolkien about the "Christian" aspects of Lord of the Rings. We know, for instance, that the two men discussed the fact that Tolkien considered the "Secret Fire" to be the Holy Spirit. I can see Tolkien scratching his head a bit over some of the interpretations that Kilby put forward, and then going to pick up his mail and finding similar comments from other readers in the U.S.

Interesting that this kind of thing should be coming from readers in the U. S. There are cultural differences in play here, I think. Certainly, while there are believers and nonbeliever on both sides of the Atlantic, religion plays a different role in society as a whole in the United States than it does in most European countries.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-24-2006 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:35 AM   #14
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
fundamental:1a: serving as an original or generating source; 1b: serving as a basis supporting existence or determining essential structure or function.

There are other definitions that deal with change or science, or Religious Fundamentalism, but those are different things than what Tolkien is talking about. If Tolkien had meant that LotR is fundamentally the work of a Catholic, he would have stated it so. Instead he wrote that LotR is a fundamentally religious and Catholic work. Using the above, most general and (ahem) basic definition of the word, what Tolkien is thus saying (knowing how to use English correctly) is that Catholicism serves as an original or generating source; OR serves as a basis supporting LotR's existence OR determines LotR's essential structure or function. One of these three.
Tolkien meant none of these things. I'm afraid both Tolkien's work and Tolkien himself simply cannot be boiled down in reductionist theories. He was a Catholic, but he was also a lot of other things, and to attempt to say that Catholicism was the source of Lord of the Rings, was the basis for its existence or is the root of its purpose or function is simply wrong. A lot of things went into Lord of the Rings: Norse mythology, Anglo-Saxon literature, adventure, horror, WWI, his childhood in Sarehole, his love of language, desires to dedicate something to his country (and by extension, his pride in being English), love of story, etc etc etc.

Unfortunately there is a growing amount of 'scholarship' coming out of this one misquoted quote, and we cannot even consider taking seriously scholarship which is based on one statement; had it been a repeated theme then maybe, but Tolkien does not repeat this idea and even refutes it, yes even in this letter. If people wish to use it to apply their own experience of reading then fine, but it is doing poor old Tolkien a disservice to be so reductionist as to say that his work is simply Catholic and to deny everything else. As Tolkien himself says in this letter, he cut out references to Earthly religion, as there was no need for them in a text which was anyway sympathetic to his own ideals.

A quote from a random dictionary gives us no direction into what Tolkien meant by using the word 'fundamentally'. I suspect Tolkien did not have that dictionary to hand when he was writing to Father Murray.

Why are we trying to 'force' Tolkien's work into a corner? Tolkien himself said it does not have a 'meaning'. Can we not accept that and just enjoy it? I'd hate to see Tolkien 'ruined' by the kind of simplistic reductionism that has now seen poor old Lewis be made a literary laughing stock. Far more productive would be to look in a level headed way at how his Catholicism is apparent from the text as I tried to do (and I'd been hoping for a specifically Catholic examination), but as soon as anyone tries to take apart what he was actually saying we are challenged by the hegemony of Faith.

So, what about my suggestion that his Catholic morality is clear from the text, as shown in his treatment of Love and relationships?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:35 AM   #15
Child of the 7th Age

Quote:
Tolkien meant none of these things. I'm afraid both Tolkien's work and Tolkien himself simply cannot be boiled down in reductionist theories. He was a Catholic, but he was also a lot of other things, and to attempt to say that Catholicism was the source of Lord of the Rings, was the basis for its existence or is the root of its purpose or function is simply wrong.

Lalwende,

Although I might express it differently, there is great truth in what you say. To reduce LotR to one simple equation is misleading: that just wasn't the nature of the man. One moment Tolkien says it is preferable to omit any reference to "real" religion in a fantasy world, and some years later he writes a piece like the Athrabeth. To bring the incarnation into the Legendarium was a long way from his earlier reference in the letters when he complained about the Arthurian legends and expressed the view that "real religion" should be kept out of any subcreated faerie world. But that duality isn't surprising. On almost any topic we discuss, it's possible to bring up conflicting ideas put forward by Tolkien himself.....what Kilby labelled "contrasistency".

The quote from the Guide that I gave in the last post clearly states that Tolkien did not appreciate his work being regarded as "Christian propaganda or anything like that." But at the same time, it's hard for me to deny that the "Catholic influence" grew in importance over the years and became a major component of his work and thinking, at least towards the end.

How else can we understand or interpret Tolkien's stated belief that he was an "instrument of God"? Was that Catholic influence expressed strictly in terms of general moral standards or was it wider than that? What about the author's own admission in the Guide as recorded by Carpenter, Sayer and Kilby that his view of his work and its meaning changed somewhat over the years in terms of religious meaning? I personally feel moral standards are one part of the equation we're discussing but that more explicit references are also involved.

To me the central terms aren't "either/or". Rather they are "when" and "how much". I vacilate back and forth on this in terms of that balance, but I think Catholic influence is definitely there and it extends beyond a simple reckoning in terms of moral standards. It seems to have increased over the years. If we were to ask each person who has contributed to this thread to pinpoint "how much" and "when", we'd probably get wildly different answers, but we'd all be on some kind of continuum.

Lal and Littlemanpoet -- Would you both feel more comfortable with that mental image of a continuum rather than "either/or"?

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-24-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #16
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
Just a brief comment on the whole question of "when". I don't feel that these two options---pre-publication revision or identifying an additional layer of meaning after publication---are necessarily exclusive.
It depends on whether we're talking about The Lord of the Rings or The Silmarillion & HoME, etc.

I find what seems to render this entire discussion implaccably muddy, to be rather unfortunate. It is as if every attempt to gain clarity is greeted with an additional stirring of the depths of the muddy waters so that frankly nothing at all can be said with certainty. Such uncertainty may be a most comfortable environment in which to convey one's own relative opinions, but does little to shed light on what can be known with certainty. The only way to deal with such 'stirrings of the depths' is to take each argument one by one and treat it as logically as possible. I hope I have time for that. I don't right now. But it must come before I present any evidence from the documents at my disposal.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #17
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Lal and Littlemanpoet -- Would you both feel more comfortable with that mental image of a continuum rather than "either/or"?
I don't need either.

Seriously. Of course we can find elements of Tolkien's faith is his work, that is probably inevitable, but there questions about how much was there intentionally (from everything Tolkien has said about it, any specifically Catholic images or ideals can be counted on our fingers), questions about whether they were there to 'teach' us anything (Tolkien keeps telling us "No" to this one), and there are questions about whether such images and ideals take primacy to everything else.

Nothing can be said with certainty or clarity about the 'meaning' of Lord of the Rings, because as Tolkien told us time and time again, there isn't one. Tolkien wrote "Lord of the Rings is not 'about' anything apart from itself". If we want an objective opinion, then Tolkien gives us one. Of course, we might think objective opinion is something other than what the author intended, but then that other cannot be objective opinion, it can only be relative and personal.

There's nothing wrong of course with a bit of applicability, but there are limits to it. We must be sensible. The lesson of what has happened to Lewis is interesting. He was indeed making a Christian message but it was being made in a more subtle way than the hype would now have us believe; the applicability has overtaken the Author and now Lewis is being unfairly viewed as an outright evangelist by modern readers, many of whom would say that this is sinister. I've got Pullman in mind now, who does like 'messages'; he identifies Lewis as deeply troubling, but failed to find the same in Tolkien. Long may that last, if the message that gets into the heads of the general public is one that makes them avoid Tolkien!

I have to ask, why when we can indeed have a worthy discussion about the Catholicism that can be found in Tolkien's work, does it have to be to prove some bigger point? Tolkien also loved Norse myth but the presence of it can be explored without trying to prove it was Tolkien's overarching aim. Of course, an Odinist may come onto a website and claim just that. But that is the difficulty when people with strong personal convictions get onto discussing matters such as this. There always seems to be an overarching agenda to be proven. So instead of yet another highly subjective discussion, another push-me-pull-you which will inevitably result in someone causing someone else 'offence', and we know nobody will agree on, can't we instead objectively examine what is specifically Catholic in Tolkien's work as promised? What it might be?
Old 11-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #18
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

Aaron has just left Hobbiton.
Hi, I'm an old member with a brand new name and I'd like to cash in my two cents on this issue. Being a Protestant one may beleive that I would see a Christian message within LOTR but this is not the case.
Christian teaching borders on pacifism and one of the messages of LOTR appears to be the righteous undoing of injustice, this is not to suggest that people of my faith are weak or servile but it merely appears that with heroes such as Aragorn and Boromir The Lord of The Rings appears to be based more on Arthurian concepts of chivalry then Catholic dogma.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 08:44 PM   #19
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Silmaril

Long ago, in the midst of a contentious thread -- maybe it was canonicity-- a very wise mod once told me, "Take the eucatastrophe and run."

We can indeed discuss exhaustively what Tolkien MEANT or did not MEAN, or examine what might be specifically Catholic in his works, but I doubt we will ever come to an agreement on it.

IMO, he *meant* an eucatastrophe. At least one. Preferably one per thread of the tapestry. However, a eucatastrophe is beyond his own doing; by its very definition, it is a glimpse "beyond"-- one which the author has almost no control over. He can provide the painting of the tree, but he cannot provide the Beyond that will be seen thru the painting; his very goal is for the painting to be seen through. And for that to happen, the reader can't be tangled up in some allegorical "meaning". If he is so distracted from the secondary reality by the primary reality, he'll never get to the Beyond.

Now, where did I put that eucatastrophe? Ah, there it is; I'm off.

Last edited by mark12_30; 11-25-2006 at 01:20 AM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:01 AM   #20
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
In letter #156, Tolkien specifically tells us that the Third Age is not Christian - the world at that time only has a "monotheistic natural theology". So I think that the 'clues' to christianity ought to be looked for somewhere else than in direct representation of christian events or ideas; there are two main ideas that seem to stand out: Death:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #186
I do not think that even Power or Domination is the real centre of my story. It provides the theme of a War, about something dark and threatening enough to seem at that time of supreme importance, but that is mainly 'a setting' for characters to show themselves. The real theme for me is about something much more permanent and difficult: Death and Immortality: the mystery of the love of the world in the hearts of a race 'doomed' to leave and seemingly lose it; the anguish in the hearts of a race 'doomed' not to leave it, until its whole evil-aroused story is complete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #203
But I should say, if asked, the tale is not really about Power and Dominion: that only sets the wheels going; it is about Death and the desire for deathlessness. Which is hardly more than to say it is a tale written by a Man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #211
Theologically (if the term is not too grandiose) I imagine the picture to be less dissonant from what some (including myself) believe to be the truth. But since I have deliberately written a tale, which is built on or out of certain 'religious' ideas, but is not an allegory of them (or anything else), and does not mention them overtly, still less preach them, I will not now depart from that mode, and venture on theological disquisition for which I am not fitted. But I might say that if the tale is 'about' anything (other than itself), it is not as seems widely supposed about 'power'. Power-seeking is only the motive-power that sets events going, and is relatively unimportant, I think. It is mainly concerned with Death, and Immortality; and the 'escapes': serial longevity, and hoarding memory.
and hobbitry (or humbleness I might say):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #181
I regard the tale of Arwen and Aragorn as the most important of the Appendices; it is pan of the essential story, and is only placed so, because it could not be worked into the main narrative without destroying its structure: which is planned to be 'hobbito-centric', that is, primarily a study of the ennoblement (or sanctification) of the humble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #131
But [the story is told] through Hobbits, not Men so-called, because the last Tale is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world polities' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, forgotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless.
Concerning allegory, I think we should diferentiate between his dislike of allegory, and certain necessities of writing fairy-tales for adults:
Quote:
I dislike Allegory – the conscious and intentional allegory – yet any attempt to explain the purport of myth or fairytale must use allegorical language. (And, of course, the more 'life' a story has the more readily will it be susceptible of allegorical interpretations: while the better a deliberate allegory is made the more nearly will it be acceptable just as a story.) Anyway all this stuff is mainly concerned with Fall, Mortality, and the Machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #163
In a larger sense, it is I suppose impossible to write any 'story' that is not allegorical in proportion as it 'comes to life'; since each of us is an allegory, embodying in a particular tale and clothed in the garments of time and place, universal truth and everlasting life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #215
I hope 'comment on the world' does not sound too solemn. I have no didactic purpose, and no allegorical intent. (I do not like allegory (properly so called: most readers appear to confuse it with significance or applicability) but that is a matter too long to deal with here.) But long narratives cannot be made out of nothing; and one cannot rearrange the primary matter in secondary patterns without indicating feelings and opinions about one's material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #181
But, of course, if one sets out to address 'adults' (mentally adult people anyway), they will not be pleased, excited, or moved unless the whole, or the incidents, seem to be about something worth considering, more e.g. than mere danger and escape: there must be some relevance to the 'human situation' (of all periods). So something of the teller's own reflections and 'values' will inevitably get worked in. This is not the same as allegory. We all, in groups or as individuals, exemplify general principles; but we do not represent them.
I think that this last qouote reflects the real problem with allegory: that it presents "truths" explicitly

Quote:
For reasons which I will not elaborate, that seems to me fatal. Myth and fairy-story must, as all art, reflect and contain in solution elements of moral and religious truth (or error), but not explicit, not in the known form of the primary 'real' world.
My conclusion would be that it is all a matter of "technique": you must present certain perennial truths, which come from the real world (or revelations) but you can't do that explicitly. Tolkien did state that LotR is about "God and his sole right to divine honour", an honour which Sauron attempted to have; we do have a hallow place, dedicated to the special worship of God by the king:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter #156
It later appears that there had been a 'hallow' on Mindolluin, only approachable by the King, where he had anciently offered thanks and praise on behalf of his people; but it had been forgotten. It was re-entered by Aragorn, and there he found a sapling of the White Tree, and replanted it in the Court of the Fountain. It is to be presumed that with the reemergence of the lineal priest kings (of whom Luthien the Blessed Elf-maiden was a foremother) the worship of God would be renewed, and His Name (or title) be again more often heard. But there would be no temple of the True God while Numenorean influence lasted.
Lack of temples, "silent prayers" of the numenoreans - I guess that Tolkien sets out to prove that the best kind of religion is one that is "formless", devoid of possible hypocrisy - true only in the heart. I will end my post with a quote from what is to me the most relevant christian text:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gospel of Thomas
Split a piece of wood; I am there.
Lift up the stone, and you will find me there.
If your leaders say to you, 'Look, the (Father's) kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the (Father's) kingdom is within you and it is outside you.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:00 AM   #21
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

Aaron has just left Hobbiton.
Gospel of Thomas? Can people actually get a hold of that? i thought the Vatican locked it away or something.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:14 AM   #22
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
In letter #156, Tolkien specifically tells us that the Third Age is not Christian - the world at that time only has a "monotheistic natural theology". So I think that the 'clues' to christianity ought to be looked for somewhere else than in direct representation of christian events or ideas; there are two main ideas that seem to stand out: Death:
Why do we need to look for 'clues'? Tolkien stated that the Lord of the Rings did not have a message, that he did not wish to preach. There may be elements of Catholicism to be found, amongst the many other things which Tolkien loved and believed in, but they are not there to teach us anything. Tolkien did not want us to search for 'clues'. "We must be satisfied with the soup that is set before us, and not desire to see the bones of the ox out of which it is boiled." If we are looking for clues, what are we looking for? Is it to satisfy ourselves of his meaning? Is it to satisfy ourselves of our own meaning? It is the latter.

Now a quick specific. As I've said before, Christianity, Catholicism or any other religion does not have the monopoly on Death. Mortality is the major theme of the Northern myth which Tolkien also loved, this literature dealt in Death. Tolkien's dwelling upon it cannot be taken as a signpost to his religion as it is a deeper and wider concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
My conclusion would be that it is all a matter of "technique": you must present certain perennial truths, which come from the real world (or revelations) but you can't do that explicitly. Tolkien did state that LotR is about "God and his sole right to divine honour", an honour which Sauron attempted to have;
The full quote does not say that LotR is about God! It goes thus:

Quote:
In the Lord of the Rings the conflict is not basically about "freedom"; though that is naturally involved. It is about God and his sole right to divine honour. The Eldar and the Numenoreans believed in The One, the true God, and held worship of any other person an abomination. Sauron desired to be a God-King and was held to be this by his servants...
So the conflict is, as Scull & Hammond say, about fighting the 'ultimate evil', worship of Sauron and Morgoth. Well, we all know that. Perhaps Tolkien was being naughty by putting God instead of Eru, but in that world Eru IS God, we must all cast aside our earthly religions (or not) and accept that in Tolkien's created world, there is Eru and he's the boss.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:31 AM   #23
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Tolkien stated that the Lord of the Rings did not have a message, that he did not wish to preach.
I don't think we should disregard the previous quotes I gave about the intended motives. As he said, one can't write a story for adults concerning only danger and escape.
Quote:
As I've said before, Christianity, Catholicism or any other religion does not have the monopoly on Death. Mortality is the major theme of the Northern myth which Tolkien also loved, this literature dealt in Death. Tolkien's dwelling upon it cannot be taken as a signpost to his religion as it is a deeper and wider concern.
I think that at least the two of us have gone through this before; neither I, nor anyone else on this site, as far as I am aware, ever claimed that a single idea or event is uniquely Christian; I actually considered including this statement in my previous post, but I deleted the paragraph, I didn't think it was necessary .
Quote:
So the conflict is, as Scull & Hammond say, about fighting the 'ultimate evil', worship of Sauron and Morgoth.
I am sorry for the blunder, it was not intended. Thanks for the correction.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:09 PM   #24
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I have begun to realize that I may be suspected of motives I do not have. My purpose in this thread is not to pursue some agenda such that it can be proven once and for all that "LotR is Christian, and all you non-Christians had better get used to it".

No. On my lil' ol' blog (go to the bottom of the page there), I'm not on any hobby horse with this. I notice that the one paragraph I deleted from post #1 of this thread has to do with that. I should have left it in there.

I'm just plain trying to figure out what Tolkien meant; because he obviously meant something. And I have been reading some new articles with this question in the back of my mind, and lo and behold, they seem to offer answers. So I'm not going to hassle through answering every objection and remonstration because a lot of them are objecting against something I'm not even trying to do.

So...

Pius X wrote some encyclicals that had an overwhelming effect on Catholicism from about 1908 until 1963. One of them is called Pascendi domini gregis. It is recorded in A.R. Bossert's article in Mythlore Volume 25, No. 1/2 (Fall/Winter) - a double issue) (A Journal of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Williams) published by the Mythopoeic Society, that this and other encyclicals were followed at St. Philip Oratory, where the young Tolkien was raised by Father Francis Morgan. Bossert says that these encyclicals would no doubt have been discussed.

Apparently, the battle Pius X was fighting was not against Modernism at large, but against Catholic Modernism; that is, members within the Catholic church who have adopted a modernistic viewpoint. One scholar that Bossert quotes says that
Quote:
Modernism wrongly asserts, according to Pascendi, that religion arises out of the human subconscious and that faith has no basis outside this internal religious sentiment
In another encyclical, Sacrorurm antistitum, Pius X required an Oath against Modernism, to which all Catholic theologians and scholars were expected to adhere; no doubt Tolkien knew of it, and thought about it both in his scholarly work and his fiction. The Oath was revoked during Vatican II. I have not yet taken the time to read this encyclical, but I hope to, just to see how restrictive it is, and to get a sense of the environment in which a scholar and faith-observing Catholic like Tolkien found himself in.

Bossert shows, from Tolkiens' letters to his son Michael, that Tolkien at least adhered to the encylicals, and seems to have deplored their end in 1963.

No allegory here. I'm making no such claims, nor have any interest in doing so. To quote Bossert,
Quote:
In Pascendi Pius X describes the Church as a tree when he illustrates the Modernist violence to faith: "Moreover they lay the axe not to the branches and shoots, but to the very root, that is, to the faith and its deepest fires. And having struck at this root of immortality, they proceed to disseminate poison through the whole tree, so that there is no part of Catholic truth from which they hold their hand, none that they do not strive to corrupt".
Bossert draws a comparison between this and the following from The Silmarillion:

Quote:
Then the Unlight of Ungoliant rose up even to the roots of the Trees, and Melkor sprang upon the mound; and with his black spear he smote each Tree to its core, wounded them deep, and the sap poured forth as it were their blood [...]. But Ungoliant sucked it up [...] the poison of Death that was in her went into their tissues and withered them, root, branch, and leaf; and they died.
Bossert later adds this qualifier:
Quote:
This is not to say Melkor or his minions are allegories for Modernism or even that Tolkien is consciously using Pascendi as a source. Tolkien's villains use Modernist tactics, but they are not symbolic representations of Modernism itself.
A fine line he draws, I grant, but a line nonetheless.

Saruman uses the Catholic Modernist tactics more than any other character in LotR. Quoting Bossert again:
Quote:
Saruman, like Melkor and Sauron, begins by hiding his intentions, but, unlike them, never willfullly leaves the Council or the order. Gandalf must thrust him from the ranks of the heroes. .... Wormtongue does his worst villainies posing as Théoden's councilor, corrupting a hero from within his own home. These characters are malevolent, fully aware of the darkness they generate.
Bossert later says,
Quote:
Modernist rhetoric also resonates with the enchantment of Saruman's voice, appealing mostly to the audience's sentiments of experiencing something beyond itself:
Then he quotes Pascendi:
Quote:
[W]hen one of their number [Catholic Modernists] falls under the condemnations of the Church the rest of them, to the horror of good Catholics, gather round him, heap public praise upon him, venerate him almost as a martyr to truth. The young, excited and confused by all this glamour of praise and abuse, some of them afraid of being branded as ignorant, others ambitious to be considered learned, and both classes goaded internally by curiosity and pride, often surrender and give themselves up to Modernism
Bossert compares the above with this scene of Saruman's speech to the party that confronts him before Orthanc:
Quote:
Mostly they remembered only that it was a delight to hear the voice speaking, all that it said seemed wise and reasonable, and desire awoke in them by swift agreement to seem wise themselves. When others spoke they seemed harsh and uncouth by contrast; and if they gainsaid the voice, anger was kindled in the hearts of those under the spell.
Bossert again:
Quote:
Saruman's words themselves seem to echo the alleged rhetoric of the Modernist:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotR
"But you, Gandalf! For you at least I am grieved, feeling your shame. [...] Even now will you not listen to my counsel? [...] For I bore you no ill-will; and even now I bear none, though you return to me in the company of the violent and the ignorant. [...]Much we could still accomplish together, to heal the disorders of the world. [...] For the common good I am willing to redress the past, and to receive you.
There is more, but I think the above quotes give the gist.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-25-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #25
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Scanning the 3 billion channel wasteland that is TV last night, I stumbled upon EWTN's "Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, A Catholic Worldview" hosted by Joseph Pierce.

You can catch the intro here in the featured videos. Not sure if the entire program is available.

Anywho, the program made very 'airtight' arguments showing why Catholicism is stitched into every thread of LotR, such as the Ring being destroyed on March 25 (The historical day of the Feast of the Annunciation as well as the day Jesus dies on the Cross).

Not sure how true any of it was, and so figured I'd ask those of you who know.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #26
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Scanning the 3 billion channel wasteland that is TV last night, I stumbled upon EWTN's "Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, A Catholic Worldview" hosted by Joseph Pierce.
Fun fact! The World Headquarters for EWTN is an approximately ten minute drive from my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
Anywho, the program made very 'airtight' arguments showing why Catholicism is stitched into every thread of LotR, such as the Ring being destroyed on March 25 (The historical day of the Feast of the Annunciation as well as the day Jesus dies on the Cross).
I'm not Catholic myself, but it seems to me that if Tolkien did intend the March 25th day to be significant, he surely took a lot of trouble to make everything line up so as to allow that to be the day for the Ring's destruction.
I heartily disagree with the overall premise, though, but such arguments for and against Catholic and Biblical parallels in the books are by now old hat here on the Downs.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #27
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
If Tolkien had consciously made the story Catholic in its revision, then why weren't the Barrow Wights portrayed as a Polish nuns? There were a few that were downright terrifying in my grade school.

*shivers in remembrance*