The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2003, 12:35 AM   #1
barandilwen
Animated Skeleton

barandilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Do you ever feel that middle-earth really exists?

I really love the books of J.R.R. Tolkein, but in some point, i start believing it is real. You may start laughing at me at my opinion but i really believe it is. I also believe it because Sr. Tolkein had written a lot about middle-earth's history and that it seems that he has not got it mixed up or something. So maybe that was not a good statement to support what i think but, i really and definitely believe that it is real! i want to see it, if it is possible. Now, i posted this topic to know if some of you believe that middle-earth really exists. Do you?
Old 07-28-2003, 03:55 AM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Middle-earth can feel as if it is real sometimes. It's just how far you let your imagination take you and how much you are willing to let go of reality. All though the sad thing is, it's not real.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 04:19 AM   #3
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thats definitely happened to me before, I just keep thinking that somewhere out there I'll be able to find it or that maybe it was the real history of the world not just a story. Its quite depressing when I snap out of it and realise that its not real at all. I guess its still nice to know you can drift back into the world anytime you want by simply reading a book but it would still be amazing if it was real...
Old 07-28-2003, 01:11 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All the time.

In a sense, it is real. Tolkien did write Middle Earth to be a Europe of long ago, or so I have heard, so we could technically say that we are Middle Earth's descendants. At least, the men are pretty realistic. Those sorts of lost kings and steward types probably really existed. A lot of Middle Earth is a possible reality.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:19 PM   #5
Aure

Sting

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I think that middle earth is real and that tolkien was trying to tell us that through the books. I heard from my friend that the story of middle earth was passed down through tolkeins family
Old 07-28-2003, 10:06 PM   #6
Maeglanthirion
Animated Skeleton

Maeglanthirion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maeglanthirion
Tolkien

Many a time do i read all these things about Middle-earth and thing it has to be real. I men, look at all the history books and other pieces of literature about it. Like Meela, i agree that in a sense, it is real considering all Tolkien wrote about it. But it is just that: a piece of literature. It isn't real, though it seams so. How much do i wish that it was and i could live there. But i havn't seen any elves or trolls or balrogs around, or even heard of remnants of them.
"I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, and we break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!..."
Maeglanthirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:12 PM   #7
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I wish it was real, I truly do, but deep down I know it isn't and it's truly a tragic thiing that it isn't. Tolkien truly must have been a genius to come up with all of that and keep it straight. AND write it all down.
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:14 AM   #8
Numenorean
Haunting Spirit

Numenorean has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
i havn't seen any elves or trolls or balrogs around, or even heard of remnants of them
Me neither Maeglanthirion! But given that the Human Race (as we know it) has been around for what, about 20,000 years, it leaves a hell of a lot of time - some millions of years and more - during which thousands of unknown races, beasts, phenonema and living beings could've evolved, lived and then quite simply vanished from existance, through natural or other causes.
I know its only speculation, but as a race we know so little about the distant past that who knows for sure, I'm staying open-minded on the off chance theres something in it!
'…Avallónë, the haven of the Eldar upon Eressëa, easternmost of the Undying Lands, and thence at times the Firstborn still would come sailing to Númenor in oarless boats, as white birds flying from the sunset…'
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:25 AM   #9
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Sting

Quote:
i havn't seen any elves or trolls or balrogs around, or even heard of remnants of them
Do you really think that if an ordinary human met a balrog or troll they would live to tell about it? And the elves went to Valinor. So just because you don't know of anyone who has seen an elf, troll or balrog doesn't mean that they don't exist. Also, balrogs would live deep underground where not many humans go.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:46 AM   #10
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Exactly! You know those little eruptions that often happen in mine shafts? Do you think that some stupid miner just dropped his match or something? No! It was a balrog!

Sorry, I'm done ranting now. I really truly wish that ME was actually a place where I could go to escape the troubles of the regular world, and sometimes I think that it lives inside my head. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Just thinking about it does relieve alot of the tension of daily life.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:53 AM   #11
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I wish ME was real, even though I know it isn't. But it lives in our hearts and dreams (I'm not trying to sound sentimental). And maybe balrogs do live underground: How else would we have volcanoes?

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:53 AM   #12
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In my mind, reality is defined by belief. If you believe that Middle Earth existed and that these stories are true, then they are subsequently a "reality". I believe that Tolkien in his heart believed all of his stories and intimately knew all his characters. It is my opinion that somewhere, in some state of existence, these stories really occurred.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:54 AM   #13
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I believe Middle-earth is real, but I imagine it as being another planet in a faraway galaxy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Then again, that's just me.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:47 AM   #14
Maeglanthirion
Animated Skeleton

Maeglanthirion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maeglanthirion
Tolkien

I wasn't referring to living balrogs and elves and such. I'm more referring to skeletons and bones and fossils. As far as I have heard, I do not remember anyone finding bones or fossils or that sort of proof that anything such as that ever existed. I'm not trashing your beliefs, for it is not my right to do so. I am merely giving my opinion and backing it up.
"I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, and we break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!..."
Maeglanthirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:29 PM   #15
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Maybe some of those weird fossils that scientists think are dinsaurs are actually ME creatures? Or maybe they are buried so deep in the earth that we haven't found them yet? I dunno, I'm just offering up ideas. Don't mind me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:02 AM   #16
barandilwen
Animated Skeleton

barandilwen has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Maybe, you guys are right! maybe, somewhere in this world, there's a middle earth! [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] did i say that right? i think there really is middle earth, but like some of you mentioned, we're just going to snap back to the "reality" we know that there is none... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] But i really wish there is!!! I really do! But i guess there is not due to some scientific evidence that men just evolved and stuff... but what if they (the fossils) are burried somewhere deep?!! But again, we haven't found anything, but it's not bad to dream about middle earth anyway, right?
Old 07-30-2003, 02:46 PM   #17
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Although I know that ME was just Tolkiens invention and it didn't really exist it is fun to let your imagination run away and let yourself think that it is/was there, because it's a pretty great place.
And let's face it, it must exist someplace, be it just in our minds or hearts, because most of us spend a heck of a lot of time discussing it on these forums!
Old 07-31-2003, 01:35 AM   #18
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

To me, it does exist. It always has, always will. Somehow, I fell it is a part of me, and my thoughts dwell ther often (Genevieve would know about my thoguhts a little). If only I could be there entirely.

Being a science freak, I will say these things: 1. It is quite possible that fossils/bones of Balrogs or other ME creatures are too deep in the Earth's crust 2. I believe there are some ancestrial lines from Hobbits (don't be mad if u are "vertically chalenged" for I am too) 3. Valinor could be a planet in our solarsystem, or one that we don't know of (canyou imagine how cool it would be if the first "aliens were Elves?)

I think I should stop now before I start babbling.

Nehani

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:27 AM   #19
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I was reading the book i did feel at times that Middle-Earth did exist and, even though the world didnt exist realy, i still feel that it exists inside of me somewhere and i always will believe that middle-earth existed somehow.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:24 PM   #20
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

Anything is possible through imagination. Middle Earth can exist inside our hearts.

Quote:
The world is but a canvas to the imagination
Henry David Thoreau

Quote:
I really truly wish that ME was actually a place where I could go to escape the troubles of the regular world
I think somewhere in all our minds Middle Earth is real and we can all escape there when we really try.

Maybe I'm just speaking nonesense... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:18 PM   #21
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Quote:
Do you ever feel that middle-earth really exists?
Who doesn't? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

In all seriousness, I sometimes feel that ME is more real than this world (the Downs, of course, doesn't help, as I spend more time here than in the real world) because it is a world that I would rather live in. Yes, I know, there is a lot of sorrow there, but there are elves, dragons, hobbits, dwarves, magic rings, all those wonderful fantasy things.

And Middle-Earth lives at a slower pace. I mean, what with IM and email, we are more rushed than ever before. I wish I could live in Greenwood, or Lothlorien, just because there would be no computer. (if I lived in ME, I wouldn't need the Downs [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:30 AM   #22
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

Quote:
Do you ever feel that middle-earth really exists?
Yes. Of course. I've even seen Vingilot in the night sky! Totally, dude. And none of it was drug-induced. Nope. None at all.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:57 AM   #23
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

(Gasp!) You mean... it's not all... real?!?

It's real in me, at least.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:54 PM   #24
Novberaid
Animated Skeleton

Novberaid has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I went to a lecture once on Eastern philosophy. This very question came up. The lecturer stated that all things we can imagine come from the mind of God the Creator. Since all things in the physical world are made by God the Creator, Middle-Earth does exist some where in some time. In the afterlife we will be able to see and experience it because time has no meaning in the length of the cosmos.
Yes Virginia, there is a Middle-Earth and it is all very real!
Old 08-10-2003, 04:22 PM   #25
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
The lecturer stated that all things we can imagine come from the mind of God the Creator. Since all things in the physical world are made by God the Creator, Middle-Earth does exist some where in some time.
A lovely sentiment, and probably true! (Or false! Depends, on belief I suppose!) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I've also heard it said that all realities exist together in different "dimensions." Even time is not linear as we understand it. Perhaps this very story is being lived out at this very instant in the very space we occupy, and we pick up on it subconsciously, or collectively. (Tolkien perhaps picked up on it and wrote it all down!) Perhaps the Barrowdowns and other fan gatherings are just forums to express this shared reality...(I really state the obvious don't I?) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

As I found in Tolkien's Letters, there was one who believed that Tolkien had been inspired by visual images that he had seen, and upon learning this was not his inspiration, proceeded to show him pictures that were very Middle Earthish and told him "You don't think YOU made all that up, did you?" Perhaps a personal observation of a collective reality...(need to dig out that letter one of these days)

To sum up, I believe there is no way that Middle Earth can NOT be real! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta (working hard on that "Crackpot in Residence" title)

[ August 10, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:50 PM   #26
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Valinor could be a planet in our solarsystem, or one that we don't know of (canyou imagine how cool it would be if the first "aliens were Elves?)
That's a funny thought... But look, how can they travel to another planet on a boat? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I've heard that Tolkien thought up the mortal lands of ME to be England. Valinor would then be the Americas.

Quote:
I imagine it as being another planet in a faraway galaxy
I thought about that too, but I realized that Arda has the same stars and constellations in its sky as we know the earth to have today. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Just points to say that it is our planet.