The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Silmaril Admin thread for WW LXXVII: The Metamorphs of Wolf-562-e

This is a sci-fi themed game– see the game thread for details. Other than the name of the ship, it has nothing whatever to do with Middle-earth.

Galactic Fleet signups are now open!

The Crew
Commander Inziladun –First Officer.
Lieutenant Paranoia –Second Officer.
Lieutenant Sally –Navigator.
Ensign Pitchwife –Communications Officer/Interpreter.
Ensign Blind Guardian –Tactical Officer.
Doctor Morsul –Medical Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer Loslote –Chief Engineer.
Chief Petty Officer Keeper of Dol Guldur –Quartermaster.
Isabellkya –Sensor Technician, First Class.
Wilwa –Android Technician, Second Class.
Shasta –Engineering Technician.
Eomer –Security Officer.
wintywinty –Weapons Maintenance Technician.
Rikae –"Cabin Boy" (a thirteen-year-old stowaway).

Last edited by Nerwen; 06-09-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
How could I pass this up?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Paranoia
Haunting Spirit

Paranoia has just left Hobbiton.
In for this, methinks. <_< .... why yes, I have been watching like a hawk. Why do you ask?
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
*salutes* I'm in, sir....erm, ma'am.

Question though. When is the deadline? If it's "American-friendly" Tum would like to sign up too, so if you could put her in with a question mark for now that'd be lovely.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
*salutes* I'm in, sir....erm, ma'am.
I've been told ma'am is only for crunching times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally
Question though. When is the deadline? If it's "American-friendly" Tum would like to sign up too, so if you could put her in with a question mark for now that'd be lovely.
*echoes question* And if it's 'European-friendly', I'd be very much tempted to end my self-imposed break from WW somewhat early...
Old 05-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Dark-Eye

Im in regardless of time!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
*skips along, smelling flowers* Ooh! A game! I shall have to play, I think...
Old 05-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
When will we be starting? I have to be moved out of the dorm by Wednesday and after that my computer access will be severely limited until Sunday night/Monday (unless, of course, I disregard Fea entirely while I'm at her house and just commandeer her interwebs ).

PS. It's still Mira, by the way. Apparently I'm still not allowed to use my own account.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of Dol Guldur View Post
PS. It's still Mira, by the way. Apparently I'm still not allowed to use my own account.
You know, the last game I wanted to rep you, but I wasn't sure which account to do it on!
Old 05-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #10
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
If we can get enough people to join so that we can start in the next few days, then I'll be happy to join. But if the game starts after Friday, I really probably shouldn't play since after the 17th I'll be picking up these lovely Finnish people from a bus station and won't have time for WW...
Old 05-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
*signs up*
Old 05-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
In answer to various people: we'll be starting once I think enough people have signed up, and the deadline is still negotiable.

At the moment I'm thinking of some time between 7 am- 12 am GMT– however if that's inconvenient to too many people I can do something different.

Last edited by Nerwen; 05-30-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
7 or 8 am GMT would be perfect for me, but any later and I'll have to vote an hour or two early.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #14
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Dark-Eye

It I would be seven hours behind. One in the morning? Can we make that 6 gmt? If you can't that's okay, I'll just get a bad night sleep for a while. Or I'd just have post early. Oo
I'll figure something out

Edit: only six hours I think. I thought we where mountain time. I'll figure something out...

Last edited by Blind Guardian; 05-31-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:18 AM   #15
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Soooo it's quite early and my brain isn't functioning. What would 7am GMT be in EST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
You know, the last game I wanted to rep you, but I wasn't sure which account to do it on!
You can use either, dear. ^_^
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Old 05-31-2010, 07:05 AM   #16
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of Dol Guldur View Post
Soooo it's quite early and my brain isn't functioning. What would 7am GMT be in EST?
2:00 am, or 3:00 during daylight savings. If a lot of you North American Downers are on EST, I'll need to pick a later time (or an earlier one, depending on how you look at it).

Last edited by Nerwen; 05-31-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:10 AM   #17
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

I'll join. I had to drop out of the last one because I got my wisdom teeth out and was kind of out of it, haha, but I'm back to full health now so I should be good to go.

If the DL is 2/3 am EST I will definitely always be voting very early.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #18
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Hmnn. This isn't going to work...

How about 10 pm GMT (5/6 pm EST)?
Old 05-31-2010, 07:47 AM   #19
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
That should be all right for me.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #20
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Hmnn. This isn't going to work...

Way better than 2/3am EST. Depending on work I'll be voting early.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:10 AM   #21
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
What's that in stardate, Captain?

Kidding aside, 10 pm GMT would be absolutely wonderful for me. (7-12 am not so much.)
Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #22
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
7-12 am would be too late for me (like whoa....) but 10pm would be a bit too early. I'd still be at work and would have to make it a point to go out to town for lunch each day, or vote before I went to work in the morning.

I don't suppose 12pm GMT is workable for anyone?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 AM   #23
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
I don't suppose 12pm GMT is workable for anyone?
Would work nicely for me.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #24
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Rules n' roles

Roles

Evil

Metamorphs
These shapeshifters, native to Wolf-562-e, have infiltrated the crew of the Lothlórien in the opening move of a plot to betray the Terran League to its relentless enemy, the Radiant Empire.

Metamorphs can perfectly impersonate humans (and many other species), but revert to their true forms when killed.

The Metamorphs will secretly murder one crewmember during each Night phase. Once the number of Metamorphs is equal to the number of humans, they will attack them openly and seize control of the ship.

The Traitor
The traitor is a human spy for the Radiant Empire, and knows all about the plot– except for one little detail: which of his shipmates were murdered. Thus, he is as much in the dark about the identity of the Metamorphs as the rest of the crew. The Traitor uses a mental screening device, which protects him from the Telepath.

The Traitor also has one extra option: During the Night phase he may, if he chooses, reveal his role to any other player via pm and ask if that player is a Metamorph. If innocent, the other player may not reveal the interaction, but may of course try to get the Traitor lynched. If the other player is a Metamorph, the Traitor and Metamorphs will be able to pm for the rest of the game. The Traitor can use this option three times.

Good

Terran Intelligence Agents
Due to an administrative screw-up, these three were given no direct way to identify each other.

The Telepath
Enters the mind of one crewmember each Night and thus learns that person's identity. Can not see Traitor or special roles. If the Telepath dreams a fellow-agent, they can pm each other.

The Defender
Trained in martial arts, the Defender chooses a crewmember to protect each Night. May not protect the same person twice in a row. May not self-protect.

The Assassin
Armed with a gun that shoots darts lethal to the Metamorph nervous system, the assassin may pick one target every Night. Human victims will be unharmed. The Assassin need not die to make a kill.

However, the Assassin carries the dart-gun only when hunting Metamorphs. If lynched, the Assassin will throw a knife at the target, who will be killed regardless of role.

The Rest of the Crew.
Must try to catch the Metamorphs before it's too late.

Other

There are two secret roles, which are secret.

Rules

Votes to be highlighted, ++Nerwen

No double lynches. In the event of a tie, the last player to reach the total dies.

ADDENDUM: As part of their training, Terran Intelligence agents receive deep conditioning which means they may NOT reveal (except to each other), even when faced with lynching. The only exception is the Telepath, who may reveal in order to point out a Metamorph, but for no other reason (can't reveal to save self or to stop an innocent being lynched).

Discipline is harsh in the Galactic Fleet. Any crewmember who fails to vote two Days in succession will be thrown out the airlock.

Deadline: TBA, but probably 10 pm GMT.

Last edited by Nerwen; 06-11-2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: modified roles
Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #25
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain McNerwen
The Assassin
Armed with a gun that shoots darts lethal to the Metamorph nervous system, the assassin may pick one target every Night. Human victims will be unharmed.

However, the Assassin carries the dart-gun only when hunting Metamorphs. If taken by surprise– that is, Night-killed or lynched– the Assassin will throw a knife at the target, who will be killed regardless of role.
(Bolding mine)
Maybe I'm being a bit dense here, but under which conditions would the Assassin then use the dart-gun? Do they get to shoot Metamorphs without dying themself? Otherwise the second paragraph cancels the first, and the Assassin would simply be "illogical, Captain".
Old 05-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #26
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
(Bolding mine)
Maybe I'm being a bit dense here, but under which conditions would the Assassin then use the dart-gun? Do they get to shoot Metamorphs without dying themself? Otherwise the second paragraph cancels the first, and the Assassin would simply be "illogical, Captain".
Pitch, I'm assuming that the assassin would be much like Fea in my first game. The player would be like a werebear, except working on the side of the village. They can attack a person every Night, and their target is only killed if they're evil. They are also, however, the hunter, and in the case of their death an illogical hunter.

Am I right, Nerwen?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #27
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'd love to join a Nerwen game, but I have two problems -

1. My laptop is virusy (I'm on a friend's) and it's not even being looked at until Thursday the 3rd (I'm hopeful it's an easy fix, but you never know).

2. From June 3rd to (for all intents and purposes as I'm getting back late) June 6th I'd be pretty much incommunicado.

So... unless this starts like now and I'm the first wolf-kill or something, or it doesn't start for a week (Monday the 7th), I probably shouldn't join this one. That second condition is far more likely, so I'll be watching. If I'm not able to play, good luck to everyone!
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #28
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Pitch, I'm assuming that the assassin would be much like Fea in my first game. The player would be like a werebear, except working on the side of the village. They can attack a person every Night, and their target is only killed if they're evil. They are also, however, the hunter, and in the case of their death an illogical hunter.

Am I right, Nerwen?
You've got it. Sorry Pitch, if that wasn't clear– I don't think we've had a role like that in the time you've been playing, mainly because it's overpowered.

However, on second thoughts, I've never been happy with illogical hunters being killed at Night– in terms of the story, I mean. It doesn't really make sense for a person to get attacked by the wolves, yet run off and kill someone else instead. So I'm going to change it a bit. The role now becomes Illogical Hunter by Day only (see Rules n' Roles).

So, the actual roles are:

Normal wolves

Modified cobbler

Normal Seer

Normal Ranger

Modified Assassin/Hunter (kills target at Night only if evil; need not die to do so. If lynched, kills target regardless of role).

Special roles (TBA. Or perhaps not).
Old 06-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #29
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Hm. I wonder if anyone else could be 'persuaded' to play, or we'll have to wait a few more days for peoples' schedules to open up?
Old 06-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #30
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Nerwen's Modding... Sci-Fi Theme REALLY tempted... Just have to remember it's Just a game... also busy with rehearsals though so... hmm... give me a bit to think
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #31
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

*ponders* Well, I know that unless the deadline is at least 11 p.m. GMT I won't be able to play. It just wouldn't be feasible. I'll wait and see other people's thoughts though; I really hate to not play in this one.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #32
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Hmm...10pm GMT would be around 2pm my time, so I can't promise to be around then. Grandma coming to visit and stuff; she'll want to be entertained, I expect...so I might have to vote early. I'll try to vote early if I can't make it, but I might disappear. I can probably make it work, though...
Old 06-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #33
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Dark-Eye

just realized we are going to lose Internet after tomorrow. So I might have to vote early too.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:14 AM   #34
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Hm. I wonder if anyone else could be 'persuaded' to play, or we'll have to wait a few more days for peoples' schedules to open up?
I'd prefer to wait a bit, rather than have multiple players have to drop out, as happened last time. I'd rather rather not have too many people voting early, either.

Maybe everyone could nominate a range of DL times they'd be comfortable with, and I'll pick one that suits the greatest number.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #35
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
I'd prefer to wait a bit, rather than have multiple players have to drop out, as happened last time. I'd rather rather not have too many people voting early, either.

Maybe everyone could nominate a range of DL times they'd be comfortable with, and I'll pick one that suits the greatest number.
Just a note: If we don't start until Monday, I might be able to get WW to play...

Anyways, either between 6-8pm GMT or anytime after 2am GMT would be best for me. But I can probably make something else work most of the time.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:30 AM   #36
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
I think 2300 GMT through 0500 would be most workable for me.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #37
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
I think 2300 GMT through 0500 would be most workable for me.
*does math* I concur.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #38
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Depends on what shift I'm working on, but generally the best time window for me is about 1900 to midnight GMT; the closer to the later end the better.
And thanks for the Assassin clarification. Makes sense!

Btw Morsul, I'm not sure whether I should say this or not, but - much as I'd like to play with you again anytime (and yay for not giving up on WW yet!), you might not be doing yourself a favour by playing when you know you're going to be busy... No patronizing intended, I think you get me.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #39
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
*reads* So this has a fair-to-decent chance of not starting till Monday? If so, any DL that's good for Sally is good for me.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #40
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm good with just about any DL, I'm two hours behind Shasta/Sally.

Just anything later than 1am is o.O O.o