The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #1
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots What do you assign to Orthanc?

We have Mordor, where we may assign the things we hate. We have the Shire, a veritable repository of the things we love.

But what about the things that we hate to love? Or, more accurately, the things that we know we should hate, but which we secretly (or not so secretly) love?

Should they not be assigned to Orthanc? OK, I was inspired by the "rooting for the bad guys" thread. We know we should disapprove of Saruman. And yet it surely cannot be denied that he is a facinating character. Perhaps the most interesting "baddie" that Tolkien presents us with. Apart from Gollum, perhaps, but the "below Goblintown, the Misty Mountains" is rather too unspecific as a location.

And Saruman had his gulity pleasures too. The Halfling weed, for example.

So, I'll kick us off.

- Cigarettes (obviously)
- Big Brother (the reality show, not the Orwellian creation)
- Reality TV shows in general ...
- George W Bush (I know I should disapprove of him, but I can't help finding something endearing about him )
- Intolerance towards shtoopid people
- Intolerance towards people who dawdle (eg, the "zombie shuffle" in tube stations at rush hour)
- Checking the Barrow-Downs at work
- Playing Werewolf (and making lists pertaining thereto) at work.

OK, that's enough from me for now.

Let's hear those confessions ...
Old 03-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Your hometown.

Cartoon shows like "Spongebob Squarepants." (The classics should just be a pleasure and not a guilty one. )

Taking part in too many roleplaying things at once and dividing your attention and then wearing yourself out...and then doing it all over again.

Procrastination.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:22 PM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Oooh, great new scope for list-lovers.

CSI--Miami

happy hours at bars

the reports of all those mangy guys who claim to be the father of Anna Nicole's baby daughter
Old 03-10-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Guilty pleasures, eh? What a fun idea, Saucy! I suspect guilty pleasures may tell us more about a person than outright hates/loves do...

*chocolates from Peter's Confiserie (the finest our town has to offer, and known much farther than only locally)
*nacho-flavored tortilla chips
*sudokus (good exercise for the brain, but what a time-waster!)
*lots and lots of fabrics (all eminently practical for new patchwork projects, of course, but I do have a suspicion that I can't possibly live long enough to sew them all into quilts!)

*Georgette Heyer novels used to be in that category for me, but after coming back to reread them, I've realized how excellently written they are and have stopped feeling guilty about them. Perhaps they should go to the Shire - I bet Hobbit ladies would love them!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

Meh.

I could fill up the whole thread...but for now...

I assign cars. I do not like 4x4s, these are merely expensive vans unless they are upper crust Land Rovers. No, I like sports cars such as the the Aston Martin Vantage; I like 70s cars like the Ford Cortina seen on Life On Mars (that car is seriously cool), or the purple Capri that my mother had; I love retro cars such as the Anglia; I love hot hatches like Golf Gti Mk I, and I also like chavved up, modded cars as they amuse me. I even had one once, a Ford with a full body kit, spoilers, loud stereo, the lot. Spotty oiks would stop and look at it admiringly. Strange really, as I'm always ranting about lazy people who don't catch the bus to work! I also like Top Gear now it's become some laddy humour programme.

I assign gadgets. Not for me living offline without electricity, oh no. I'm what they call an early adopter because I love my toys. I have to be surgically removed from my Zen M:Vision, and the new Nintendo DS is becoming as addictive. I've had Sky digital for 9 years - 1,000 channels of utter tripe but I love it. I have a sincere addiction to The Sims. Technology is awesome. Except for sat nav, that's naff for an expert map reader.

Tobacco is the nectar of the gods. Except I'm cutting down with a view to cutting it out.

I assign daytime TV. Trisha especially, and Jerry Springer. And all those property shows. Richard & Judy. Paul O'Grady. Countdown.

I assign the following juxtaposition of sentences:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
- George W Bush (I know I should disapprove of him, but I can't help finding something endearing about him )
Heh, heheh....

And laughing evilly.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dűm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Runescape.

I have asked everyone I know to kidnap me for a year if they see me with World of Warcraft. I have made a vow not to touch that game.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dűr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
My first ever failing grade. Not just my first bad grade in college, but my legitimately first ever 'F.'

It's in Orthanc because usually I'm told people feel guilt or shame or other such feelings about nasty marks on their transcripts.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Well, there's the obvious guilty pleasures- twinkies, soda, and fried foods. But that's not all. There's also....

Figure skating! I looooove figure skating! I tell my buds that I only watch it because the girls are smokin' hot (which they are), but secretly I'm actually interested in the sport itself, which is a big no-no for testosterone filled football loving men like me.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #9
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
-Ben and Jerry's ice cream (way too expensive and way too fattening)

-swear words (yes, Brinn admits she can have a foul mouth...)

-pulling all-nighters for no good reason

-napping during the day

-sleeping til 4pm

-over-the-top films that are ridiculously violent and gory *coughGrindhousecough*

-buying new dvds (I buy on impulse and now own over 100)

-singing, rather loudly, to the radio as I'm driving my car (and I should mention I'm a terrible singer...)

-In junior high and high school, I had this knack for persuading my teachers to play certain movies in class, even if they only had a slight relation to the subject (just ask my French teacher, heheh).

And yes...I know I am a film geek.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
I assign John Prescott. He's not popular with the press but his Yorkshire "I call a spade a spade" approach always raises a smile in our house, especially when decking egg-toting Welsh farmers with mullets.
Yes, I know exactly what you mean.
And on the subject of politics, I assign Max Hastings. All good liberals need one token right-winger to approve of, and he's mine. In fact, I find myself so often nodding in agreement with the stuff he writes, it's scary.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
And on the subject of politics, I assign Max Hastings. All good liberals need one token right-winger to approve of, and he's mine.
PJ O'Rourke is my fave right winger - so funny and my fave lefty is Tony Benn... barking in some respects but you know where you are with him...and at least he is consistent..and sometimes quite right.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #12
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I assign the song "beautiful liar" by Beyoncé and Shakira.

I know, on the one hand, that it's by Beyoncé and Shakira, so it must be crap. It is actually, there's not really much you can say about the song. But I always turn it up when it's on the radio. Reason? They way they repeat their names in the third person makes me think of Pokémon and collapse in laughter.

Go Beyoncé! I choose you!
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:54 AM   #13
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign...

Tattoos!!!

Tattoos are a wonderful thing, at least in my opinion. Though, I won't deny there are some downsides to them. For example:

Good side: If you have a good artist, they look awesome.

Bad side: They're expensive. Of course, it's always a bit depressing when money disappears from your bank account...

And I'm sure you other Downers can come up with some more reasons..
Old 06-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #14
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Fast food deliveries at one in the morning. And months ago I said I'd never eat fast food again...

Talking. It's like this: have you ever been to camps, when it's so late it's early and you're with a group of people, talking about anything and everything under the sun (or moon), and your eyes are starting to droop and you know you SHOULD get to bed but you just can't get out of your seat?

It can be sooo hard to choose sleep over fellowship.

Kilig. It's a Filipino term for something, quite hard to translate, but the nearest English word I can think of is...giddiness. It kind of makes you want to giggle endlessly and shoots electricity up your spine and kind of gives a tingling sensation. It's usually a very shallow romantic feeling.

Now I have nothing against feeling kilig on others' behalf, but when it's for myself... *shakes head*

And reminiscing about the past. There are just some things which are better off forgotten.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #15
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Pipe

Finding a set of 1 edition Lord of the Rings and getting the put aside for you, but them being so pricy that it would not be wise economically to buy them.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:13 AM   #16
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Finding a set of 1 edition Lord of the Rings and getting the put aside for you, but them being so pricy that it would not be wise economically to buy them.
Didn't you invest then???

I assign to Orthanc - The Master - wow, he was so awesome and scary, staring into the Untempered Schism and hearing the drums of war....

And Gallifreyan fairy tales.

And the Paradox Machine.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #17
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man View Post
We have Mordor, where we may assign the things we hate. We have the Shire, a veritable repository of the things we love.

But what about the things that we hate to love? Or, more accurately, the things that we know we should hate, but which we secretly (or not so secretly) love?

Should they not be assigned to Orthanc? OK, I was inspired by the "rooting for the bad guys" thread. We know we should disapprove of Saruman. And yet it surely cannot be denied that he is a facinating character. Perhaps the most interesting "baddie" that Tolkien presents us with. Apart from Gollum, perhaps, but the "below Goblintown, the Misty Mountains" is rather too unspecific as a location.

And Saruman had his gulity pleasures too. The Halfling weed, for example.

So, I'll kick us off.

- Cigarettes (obviously)
- Big Brother (the reality show, not the Orwellian creation)
- Reality TV shows in general ...
- Intolerance towards people who dawdle (eg, the "zombie shuffle" in tube stations at rush hour)
- Checking the Barrow-Downs at work
- Playing Werewolf (and making lists pertaining thereto) at work.

OK, that's enough from me for now.

Let's hear those confessions ...
Prank phone calls, especially those to politicians of foreign countries. (See here for reference: The Canadian Masked Avengers strike again.

Leftover Hallowe'en candies, especially those little chocolate bars and tiny bags of potato chips. (no reference needed)

Gotcha jokes which politicians have taken out of context. (too many references available)

Britney Spears' life problems.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:56 AM   #18
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Prank phone calls, especially those to politicians of foreign countries. (See here for reference: The Canadian Masked Avengers strike again.
Good job they're not in the UK or the Daily Mail would be calling for their execution

I assign something I should not really take pleasure in but I ruddy well DO. Namely the crestfallen faces of the Ferrari team yesterday as Massa briefly snatched victory and then had it snatched away again as Sir* Lewis Hamilton took the championship on the last corner. Oh that was sooooo good!

*Surely it can't be long????

I also assign referring to Bob Geldof as Sir Bobby Gandalf. It makes me chuckle evilly, heheh.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #19
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Politics.

Oh, how much fun it is to root for your favourite candidates and debate the issues....but at the same time, I hate how differing opinions can pull people apart.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #20
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Politics.

Oh, how much fun it is to root for your favourite candidates and debate the issues....but at the same time, I hate how differing opinions can pull people apart.
Seconded. I also hate being looked down on by some people and hearing comments like "But you wouldn't be as stupid as to think so, would you?" There are people I usually love to debate with, but differing opinions makes debating about politics impossible in the long run.

I assign loving people with problems. Being hurt again and again, having to worry about them, seeing them suffer and feeling you can do nothing about it - and still knowing that if not for me, they would be in much worse a condition.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #21
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I also hate being looked down on by some people
Quote:
and still knowing that if not for me, they would be in much worse a condition.
I third what you say Brinniel.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #22
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
*Surely it can't be long????
You do have a point.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #23
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ransacking a room looking for the wallet containing your passport, driving licence and E111 card and then remembering exactly where it is ...in a different room. I don't even need any of those items immediately but it is good to be prepared...

Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #24
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
It's pretty much blizzarding snow and sleet right now, which is terrible...

But Girl Scout cookies are in and I discovered Thin Mints in my kitchen!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #25
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
The start of our second semester.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #26
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Singing.

Seeing drunken men walk straight into walls.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:05 AM   #27
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Good... erm... old-fashioned debate. Specifically when you're the only person taking your own side. Because every once in a while it's fun to argue, but when it's an entire class up against you and they all seem to have been personally offended by your dismissal of the greatness of an artiste? Yeah...
Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #28
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Good... erm... old-fashioned debate. Specifically when you're the only person taking your own side. Because every once in a while it's fun to argue, but when it's an entire class up against you and they all seem to have been personally offended by your dismissal of the greatness of an artiste? Yeah...
I think that sort of stuff belongs to the shire, I do something similar in my History-Method class. They don't get personaly offended, but my classmates do have a tendency to pad each other on the back and not really reflect over the issues.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #29
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
They don't get personaly offended, but my classmates do have a tendency to pad each other on the back and not really reflect over the issues.
They yelled at me (literally) and told me I was dead wrong and didn't know what I was talking about.

Hence Orthanc. I like debate, but not when people take it personally.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #30
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Of Beers and... Lindale

I was about to assign this to Mordor, when I thought the better of it. While my dad and I were having dinner and he was sipping his lovely San Miguel beers and I my non-alcoholic sparkling stuff, some girl approached us and asked us to try a new beer. Mountain silver something, brewed by the rival of San Miguel (which our family has always patronized). She seemed so pitiful my dad bought the beer, for me. And boy, was it the most awful beers I've ever tasted. I thought the Light variants of the regular beers were awful, tasting like they were diluted, but that was like drinking half a liter regular beer diluted in two liters water. But then again to be polite, and because it's almost Christmas, I pretended to like the beer all the same.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #31
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

San Miguel. . .It is one of the beers I have most fond memories of, though it is far from the best beer I have had. I guess it is because most of my San Miguel memories are from holidays in Spain, although now you can get it anywhere.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #32
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

1420!

It can't be called 'beer' unless you struggle to put it through a sieve*. San Miguel is lager to me.

*Give me some Theakstons any day....
Old 02-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #33
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Amazon.com's free shipping on orders over $25. It gets me every time!

Spend three dollars on something intangible? Or spend seven more dollars and get an actual book?

It never fails...
Old 02-04-2009, 01:38 AM   #34
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Snow.

It's so purdy....

...until the wind picks up and decides to blow in your face.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #35
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

It is always nice when a beautiful girl pay notice to you, but you always want it to be for something else than random knowledge. . . . In this case the random knowledge was the name of Swedens national antheme: "Du gamla, du fria"

Old 02-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #36
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Certain music... a lot of Cascada's music (most notoriously "Bad Boy"), or that "Boom Boom Boom" song - if only it weren't so catchy.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #37
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Club remixes of a rather...profane...rant. It amuses me rather more than it should.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #38
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Crows. I love listening to them greet dawn en masse, but they started this morning at 4:53.

They're an hour and a half early. It's only March.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #39
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Crows. I love listening to them greet dawn en masse, but they started this morning at 4:53.

They're an hour and a half early. It's only March.
I love Crows. There's a clan of them living on our office building. They have a big tree in the 'crocodile pit' light well in the middle with two nests in it and two more perched on the ledges, and if you go high enough you can see in to the eggs. They're deadly territorial though, one of them perches above the entrance doors and shrieks at people coming into the building

Crebain of Government Land! Run for your lives! Heh.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #40
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Having beloved books returned after a loan so long you had given up hope of return.... Only not in the Shire because I spent the time I should have devoted to house and garden to rereading....