The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2002, 07:49 PM   #1
BigDave588

Question Numenor and the Grey Havens?!

I was just wondering about Numenor (or however you spell it). The books talk about it, but I haven't gotten a clear picture of what it is or where it is. Also, I love the ending to the trilogy, and how he doesn't tell everything about what's going to happen. Where do they go over the sea? And, what else is the on their Earth? I've only read the trilogy and am slowly working on the Simarillion, so I will figure it out soon, but I was just wondering...... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2002, 08:43 PM   #2
Elendil The Tall

Sting

First of all, you can find some great maps of Numenor, Middle-earth and the Undying Lands here: http://www.tolkien-archives.com/maps.shtml

Numenor was an island made by Iluvatar for the race of men to live on. It was made at the beginning of the Second Age, and men settled on it soon after. Many kings ruled there, but eventually one, Ar-Pharazôn, captured Sauron, and the Dark Lord urged him to break the Ban of the Valar and sail into the Undying Lands to the West. The King set sail with a great fleet towards the Deathless lands and landed on Aman. This was against the "laws" of the Valar. Iluvatar then created a great chasm in the sea, and the entire fleet and the island of Numenor was cast down. You can find the entire account in the chapter AKALLABÊTH, in the Silmarillion. Any more questions, just ask.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:23 PM   #3
Merendis
Animated Skeleton

Merendis has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

you'll come to it soon, and congrats on taking up the Silmarillion, it will be hard, but don't be discouraged, it's wonderful!

Riding one day in the forest of the Westlands he saw a woman, whose dark hair flowed in the wind, and about her was a green cloak...and he knew her for Erendis...then suddenly he knew in himself the love that he bore her, and he felt the emptiness of his days.
Merendis is offline   Reply With Quote