The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-02-2002, 09:03 AM   #1
firncristwen
Pile O'Bones

firncristwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Which characters out of the books do you wish had fallen in love?

I always thought Éowyn was better suited for Aragorn! I love him because he's so grim, thoughtful, noble and brave, but he's also a real man (in all sense of the term). Arwen is likeable but just too ethereal for him, and come on, that whole giving up eternity for their love is a lot of pressure on the guy. Anyway, Éowyn is so cool and they would've made a great couple riding together on their quest...she even had the hots for him...oh well.

But on the other hand that leaves Faramir up for grabs and he belongs to me...at least I knew he was in Éowyn's good hands.

Tolkienites are the craziest people you will meet in your life time... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
firncristwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 11:20 AM   #2
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Well, I always thought that Saruman & Sauron would make a nice couple, too bad for the competition that tore them apart. I often wonder if it was Shelob played a role in their eventual falling-out; jealous, perhaps of Sauron's interest in Saruman? Hell hath no fury like a spider scorned!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Seriously? I wished that Frodo had been given the chance to fall in love and have a family. That was not in the stars for him, of course. Poor, wounded Hobbit. He deserved happiness in the Shire as much as anyone. Ah me!
Old 03-02-2002, 11:21 AM   #3
Gorin Icearms
Haunting Spirit

Gorin Icearms has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I always thought Aragorn and Eowyn should've gotten together. They were perfect for each other. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Oh hey, I'm a wight now. WORSHIP ME IN ALL MY WIGHTNESS!!! MUAHAHAHA!!
Gorin Icearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 02:11 PM   #4
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

I suspect that there was room for a sort of S&M relationship between Shelob and Gollum myself, had fate but allowed him to survive.
Old 03-02-2002, 02:25 PM   #5
Airetauriel
Animated Skeleton

Airetauriel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I wanted Treebeard and the ents to get their entwives back!!!!!!! Everyone, quick, look out of your window, just check....they could be anywhere!!

Airetauriel
Airetauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 03:13 PM   #6
justahijustabye

If I had a choice I would definetly choose Sam to fall in love with, he was so devoted and caring. Or I would have choosen Frodo but he was depressed and wounded and had to leave anyway.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:18 PM   #7
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Ents and the Entwives, their story is so sad. I do wish that Frodo would have married. It seems that the RingBearers, execpt for Sam and Isildur, never married. Maybe the Ring had borne too heavily upon their minds.

As for Eowyn and Aragorn. I saw that she was smitten by him, but that the relationship was not to be. It was 'writen in the stars" for Arwen and Aragorn. A love like Lùthien and Beren. I also noted that Arwen's name means Noble Women and Aragorn's name partly means Noble or Kingly. Maybe this was planned.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 03:26 PM   #8
NotHomeYet
Pile O'Bones

NotHomeYet has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would've definitely liked to have seen a nice girl for Frodo, but what about Legolas?! He deserves a pretty Elf-maiden! Hmph. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Is the gloom and despair
Too many would be prophets
Saying it's the end of it all
'Cause Mother Earth can't take much more
The skies are gonna fall
So nature has its needs
That's a lesson learned
But it appears to me
There are greater concerns
'Cause we can save the planet
Thinking we will somehow survive
But Father Time is calling us
To save somebody's life

So I won't bend and I won't break
I won't water down my faith
I won't compromise in a world of desperation
What has been, I cannot change
For tomorrow and today
I must be a light to future generations

--- 4HIM
NotHomeYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 04:41 PM   #9
J.Wolfe

Sting

i dont see why you people think faramir wasnt the proper choice for eowyn. that was the only "human" love that existed int he book. by human i mean imperfect. aragon and arwen are best for each other because they were both elvish. not to be taken literally. yeah, i think frodo should have found love but his love was probably bound with the undying lands.
Old 03-02-2002, 04:52 PM   #10
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Eowyn didn't love Aragorn-she loved what he represented.
She and Faramir love each other.
I wish Frodo hadn't been alone but there was no real way for him to find love...and I just can't imagine Gandalf with a wife! (abrupt old wizard that he is [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 05:08 PM   #11
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

*Shudder* Gandalf married? That would be dreadful:
Mrs. Gandalf: 'Olorin! Have you been smoking in the living room again? You know perfectly well that Mother's coming over today! And no galivanting off to the West that's forgotten until she's gone!'
Mithrandir: 'Yes, dear.' Thinks: 'Come back, Sauron. All is forgiven'

It really wouldn't suit him at all.
Old 03-02-2002, 06:03 PM   #12
firncristwen
Pile O'Bones

firncristwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh my Lord! Did you actually say that Aragorn was an elf? Have you, like, never read any of the books and watched the movie once (with your eyes closed)? *Phoebe shudders*

LOL! LOL! LOL! S&M for Shelob and Gollum. Now that was a good one.

Elven maiden for Legolas, if you can find a brunette *thinks of Arwen and strokes a lock of her chestnut hair*
firncristwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 08:08 PM   #13
avarerniliel
Haunting Spirit

avarerniliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to avarerniliel
The Eye

Basically, I only want the ents to have their entwives back. I believe that if a character had fallen in love during the story, it would kind of screw up the plot and ruin the story [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
avarerniliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 09:51 PM   #14
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

YES, the Ents need their Entwives!!! It's kinda sad that that issue was not resolved. I, too, wish that Frodo could have fallen in love, the poor guy!
I think that Arwen & Aragorn should be together - an elf and a man, it's the perfect fairytale love story. I thought it was cute that Eowyn married Faramir!
Overall, the amount of love in the story, in my opinion, was perfect. The book wasn't necessarily about that kind of love anyway - it is more about love between friends, and that is the best kind of all!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 11:46 PM   #15
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

For all of you who wish Frodo had found somebody, I recommend
The Jewel of Brandy Hall. It mainly focuses on his daughter, but it does say a bit about his wife. It's the most believable fanfic I've ever read and almost made me cry.

Really, I liked the books as they were. I felt sorry for the Ents, though. If you've ever read "The Prydain Chronicles" you'll understand a bit more, maybe. The loss of the Entwives was another way to take some of the magic out of Middle-earth; with no new Ents, the Ent race will eventually die out. And, by all appearances, that's exactly what happened. *sniffle*

And Legolas did find a maiden of his own but I don't know who she is or where you can find the story. ("The Silmarillion" maybe?)

Eowyn and Aragorn would've been a terrible match. She and Faramir were perfect, I thought. Can't say much about Arwen and Aragorn, though. And Sam and Rose were perfect! The only other person I'd want to see married to Sam is...me! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] (Nah, I wouldn't do that to him; he's been through enough already. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])
Old 03-04-2002, 01:51 PM   #16
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

(Not an LOTR character, but a Sil) I would like to know more about the relationship of Finrod Felagund and his beloved Amarie, who remained in Valinor when he returned to Middle Earth. After his healing in the Halls of Mandos, are they reunited? I've read UT, but none of the HoME, is there anything more on these two in that series?
Old 03-04-2002, 08:09 PM   #17
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've seen the link to that "Jewel of Brandy Hall" elsewhere. It's a well written story, if a little far-fetched. I liked it.

As far as the Ent wives, gosh, I'd just settle for an explanation.

I won't say who I'd like to see fall in love, as I've caused enough enough trouble already! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

As far as Faramir and Eowyn, you know, I'd never put her with Aragorn (it'd be war), but I never bought her softening up for anyone. Sure, maybe for a moment, but as soon as they're married (or planning the wedding) no chance she'll replay the feminine nursemaid role once she had a taste of honor and freedom. "We shall make a garden of Ithilien, and the mallorn will be planted there. Any questions?"
Old 03-04-2002, 08:26 PM   #18
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Quote:
If I had a choice I would definetly choose Sam to fall in love with, he was so devoted and caring.
Sigh. Me too. I've always had a desire to hug that li'l hobbit. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Lord of the Rings
Remember Hobbits?
Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin
Nine walkers on a journey

Copyright 2001 S. Uffelman
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 12:51 AM   #19
Morgoth of Angband

The Eye

sauron and galadriel would make some interesting offspring. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2002, 12:21 AM   #20
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Poor old Boromir, everyone's forgetting him; but who knows how different things might have been if he had a girlfriend at home to think about as well as the Quest/Ring/Isildur's Bane issue. He might even have let Faramir go to the Council of Elrond instead which probably would have suited both of them better, though of course it would have changed things a lot later on and maybe not for the better (besides he may never have met Eowyn). It seems like Boromir would have been a lot happier - relatively speaking - leading the field against the armies of Mordor and defending his lady than as a member of the Fellowship; his talents were much more for the former than for the latter.

Rosa - I don't usually read fanfic (OK, I NEVER read fanfic) but that story was impressive. The plot was a little out there, but I didn't notice that as I was reading. Maybe it worked mostly because it didn't describe Frodo as having had a "normal" day-to-day relationship like Sam and Rosie have; since after what Frodo's been through it's plain that as nice as the idea would be, he just doesn't have the emotional capability anymore. BTW thank you for saying hello on the other thread [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] - the notes on translation have lots of good names - some of them need to be used.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:16 AM   #21
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Quote:
BTW thank you for saying hello on the other thread - the notes on translation have lots of good names - some of them need to be used.
You are quite welcome, Kalimac! And I agree! (I've seen a Banazir around here, but I don't know where he's gone off to.)

"The Jewel of Brandy Hall" was rather far fetched; I did treat it as kind of an alternative universe thing, but it was amazingly well-written. I especially enjoyed the Frodo's interactions with everyone; it seemed more real than anything else I've ever read aside from LotR itself. I e-mailed the auther to see if she had any more work but she never sent a reply. Oh well. (Truthfully, I wanted to see how well she could write a blind person. Most people just can't do it with any believability at all. For one thing, blindness isn't black! It's just kinda dark, but that fades after a while, so I've heard and partially experienced. But I digress. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])
Old 03-07-2002, 10:38 AM   #22
Elenglin
Pile O'Bones

Elenglin has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Ents and Entwives, deffinetly.

Or Sam and Frodo? There _must_ be some gay-couples in Middle-earth, there __must__. I was little dissappointed, that Sam got married in the end, with a girl I mean [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

But it was also a bit unfair to left Frodo to be alone. I don't think that he found someone to start a relationship with from the Undying Lands, eh? *silence* I wonder what would a Hobbit-Elf look like? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
"Apua! Apua! Hän talloo jalkoihinsa sinun lampaasi. Hän on astunut Galathea-raukan päälle, ja se on lituskainen kuin kynnysmatto. Apua! Apua! Hän ruhjoo kaikki sinun pensasaitasi ja hän survoo kaiken viljasi. Sinun täytyy toimia rohkeasti ja nopeasti, isäntä, tai kohta sinulla ei ole mitään jäljellä! Apua!" Garm puhkesi ulvomaan.
Elenglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 11:31 AM   #23
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yeah, ents and entwives! first time i read the book, i expected when i got to the portion where the ents were out (?) that there would eventually be some mention of them finding the entwives, even in the appendices, but nah no such luck.

agree that arwen and aragorn were suited for each other, since eowyn would have been too short-lived for aragorn. but...imagine if aragorn married eowyn instead, then she died shortly, aragorn then could have married arwen! hmm...

Quote:
arwen and aragorn were best suited for each other because they were both elvish
i must agree with j.wolfe on this...aragorn is descended from elros, elrond's brother, who chose to be joined with the kindred of men. that's why aragorn was reared as a child in the house of elrond, as other of dunedain chiefs, because they had kinship, even far, with elrond. not really related to the falling in love thingy but just wanted to make this clear. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

--------------------------------------------
every man's life is a path to the truth -- hesse
Old 03-07-2002, 02:08 PM   #24
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Eh, it never would've worked out between Sam and Frodo. As my friend so eloquently put it when we were talking about Sam's kids: "He must've been busy (to have that many kids) and it wasn't with Frodo!" Mainecoon also has a good point about the whole issue in her fanfiction Sam Gamgee Woke Up Gay. (Trust me, this one's definately not what it sounds like.)

I don't see why everyone thinks Frodo needed a wife. One can be perfectly happy as a single; I mean, look at Bilbo! (True, he was a bit crazy, but that's not my point!) I'm happy being single and I always pictured Frodo as being the same, once he got to Tol Eressea and received his healing.

Can't really picture a hobbit with an elf...or their kids for that matter...
Old 03-07-2002, 03:00 PM   #25
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] What do you mean? Frodo and Sam would make a wonderful couple! Think of the depth of understanding, almost empathic communication, they'd already virtually lived together for 17 years - no arguments about who left the cap off the toothpaste. Domestic arrangements would fall right into place: Sam (as ever) would take of everything. While with Frodo around nothing would ever settle down to tranquil, dull domesticity. Who better to reconnect Frodo to ME than his long-standing companion, and the only person able to understand what he'd been through?

The only trouble would be the difference in education, class distinction, and naturally, what would the neighbors think? Well what would they? People would have to hear of something before they consider the possibility, particularly the typical unimaginative hobbit. "It's a shame that Mr. Frodo never found himself a wife. Always figured that was what went wrong with Mr. Bilbo myself. Too bad. At least he's got 'ol Sam to look after things. Good lad, Sam. Steadying influence on that cracked family." [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-08-2002, 01:57 AM   #26
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

lol I disagree Maril :P Eowyn was hard coz she was unhappy
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 02:23 AM   #27
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Glenethor and Galadriel!

Can you say restraining order, boys and girls?
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

I feel for the Ents, and I feel for Frodo and Gandalf. Gandalf, a lonely spirit, 'doomed to be a rolling stone' goes around rallying and saving ME. What thanks does he get? What thanks does he ask? Nothing. He should have some elf-lady to look after him.

Then again....there is the old saying...

AND ON THE 6TH DAY, GOD CREATED MAN AND THEN RESTED. ON THE 7TH DAY, GOD CREATED WOMAN, AND NO ONE HAS RESTED SINCE....

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Something like that....

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 02:49 AM   #28
Gorin Icearms
Haunting Spirit

Gorin Icearms has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Kalimac
Quote:
Poor old Boromir, everyone's forgetting him
Yeah but he dies. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Oh hey, I'm a wight now. WORSHIP ME IN ALL MY WIGHTNESS!!! MUAHAHAHA!!
Gorin Icearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 03:06 AM   #29
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

Found this one one ]Bit of Earth Under Hobbits - Were they or Weren't They.

As for Pippinm Tolkien clearly states that he has a son, Faramir. As for Merry, it doesn't state anything in the appendix.

Quote:
Pippin and (especially) Merry taking forever to get married, not reproducing to speak of, and then finally living their lives out together post-widowhood anyway.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Old 03-08-2002, 12:22 PM   #30
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Don't trust too much of what is written on Bit of Earth. Most of the writers seem to insist on Sam and Frodo being an item, despite some very clear evidence against that.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:51 PM   #31
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Merry and Pippin...hmmm, time for peering at the appendices with a microscope [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. Pippin does get married only about six years after Frodo leaves, to Diamond of Long Cleeve, and has a son named Faramir; both of these events are mentioned in the "Later Events Concerning the Fellowship" section in the ROTK appendices. There's no mention there of Merry's marriage nor (obviously) of the births of Merry's children.

But wait, there's more! If you look at the family trees in the post-1954 edition, Merry is listed as having married Estella Bolger - Tolkien added this himself, so presumably it can be taken as canon - he discovered a lost document referring to the marriage, maybe. There are no children listed in the family tree, but if you look back at the "Later Events Concerning..." for the year 1484, when Eomer summons Merry and and Pippin, it says:

"He [Merry] took counsel with his friend the Thain, and soon after they handed over their goods and offices to their sons and rode away over the Sarn Ford, and they were not seen again in the Shire."

Since it says "their sons" there's a pretty clear implication that Merry and Estella Bolger had at least one child, maybe more. Why they're not listed in the family trees is anybody's guess; maybe there was a fire in the library of Brandy Hall which destroyed a lot of later documents concerning the Brandybucks, so information on Merry's descendants was only left in chance references in outside sources. Obviously there would be no way of knowing if it "took forever" for Merry to get married, he was older than Pippin and maybe would have married even sooner. Who knows.

As for Merry and Pippin living together, they were both comparatively young for hobbits and still in their carefree bachelor years, so to speak, still sort of like college roommates; hobbits don't really seem to get married before coming of age. Sam is thirty-nine when he gets married, and Rosie is thirty-four, but there's no implication that this is particularly late. As for them journeying off to Gondor together in the end, presumably their wives were both dead by this point, conveniently for the plot [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] . (Diamond to Pippin: "You're going WHERE?").

[ March 09, 2002: Message edited by: Kalimac ]
Old 03-09-2002, 12:57 AM   #32
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

One other note on Merry and Pippin, they were cousins. Nothing wrong in first cousins rooming together.

I forgot about that
Quote:
He [Merry] took counsel with his friend the Thain, and soon after they handed over their goods and offices to their sons and rode away over the Sarn Ford, and they were not seen again in the Shire."
I knew that Merry married Estalla Bolger, but didn't catch the reference to his son. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2002, 01:00 AM   #33
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Sting

Rosa, I did like that link (story) Sam woke up gay. It was so funny.

Old 03-09-2002, 01:38 AM   #34
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Pips has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hehe, I've read that story, very funny.
Pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 10:17 AM   #35
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Legolas was a prince, so he probably had women all over him at home. Fathers probably threw their daughters at him. But Boromir, Boromir almost needed to fall in love. He was headstrong and cocky, and needed to calm down just a bit. Had he fallen in love, maybe his mindset would have changed to be not unalike to Aragorn's. Maybe he got lots of women at home thrown at him also, but he never did know what it was like. Then he wouldn't have died and things may have gone better. But alas...
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 09:58 PM   #36
Airedae
Pile O'Bones

Airedae has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I would love for the Ents and the Entwives to reunite and have some saplings. That way they could live in total happiness and increase the survival of their species. Love those ENTS!!!!!!!

Plus I agree with someone that said it that they wished Frodo could of fell in love with someone and had a family. I really wish he could of had those things. Frodo lost so much and deserved so much. I'm sure he loved his adventures with Bibo but still I'm sure their might of been somewhat of a longing for love and a family of his own. Especially after Sam married and had his own children. *sigh* how sad that makes me for Frodo. Frodo was such a great character and I followed him with my heart everywhere...

[ March 09, 2002: Message edited by: Airedae ]

~Valerie~
Airedae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 09:39 PM   #37
dragongirlG
Wight

dragongirlG has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd like the Ents and Entwives to have some Entings...the Entwives disappearing is so sad [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
dragongirlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 05:42 PM   #38
Mithlach

Sting

I agree with everyone who wanted Frodo to have someone. I was really glad that Sam at least was happy. Poor Frodo really needs someone to take care of him and as there's no reference that any hobbits live in the undying lands that wouldn't be possible. But then again the Silmarillion didn't even mention the hobbits at all.
As for Aragorn and Eowyn, she annoyed the hell out of me with her death wish. Faramir's the best guy for her since he's the kind sesitive type and would probably get her to calm down when she's crazy.
Was anyone else as devastated as I was at the end when Frodo goes of to the havens? I wish someone could tell me he was happy. It's a shame Tolkien didn't elaborate a little more on that. Oh well...I miss Frodo as much as Sam would.
By the way, Gandalf is a maia so he'd be better of with a maia wife in Valinor, which no doubt he got!
Old 03-17-2002, 09:51 PM   #39
Airedae
Pile O'Bones

Airedae has just left Hobbiton.
Question

i have a question that i want to ask since i read the last post. there was no mention of what became of frodo after he left. is there anywhere else that mentions what happened after he departed with the other ring bearers? That has always bothered me that in the appendix they didnt mention frodo after he left. It used to really bother me but now ive sort of gotten over it. i still wonder though because how could jrr tolkien leave out frodo when he was the one who saved middle earth. even if gollum fell in, frodo still saved everyone i felt. him and sam. sam got pages as did merry and pippin. just always wondered why frodo was left out. if theirs a mention of it somewhere else i'd appreciate knowing....cause i think its sad that he was somewhat left out. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

~Valerie~
Airedae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 12:52 PM   #40
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Actually, there is mention of Frodo (and Sam, though not by name) in "The Silmarilion". It's in the very last five pages where there is mention of the war of the Ring.

In his letters, Tolkien said that Frodo was healed on Tol Eressea (as much as he could be) and likely lived out his natural life span and died. So did Bilbo, Sam and Gimli. (None of them ever went to all the way to the Undying Lands of Valinor, they apparently weren't allowed, but don't feel bad, I think they took the shortcut to Illuvitar.)

And why would Gandalf need a wife? He's Tolkien's equivalent to a low ranking angel and angles are genderless and don't need to be married. Just my musings, ignore me on this if you like.

And Eowyn needed Faramir, says I. She needs someone to calm her down.