The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-14-2003, 12:52 PM   #1
mallorn

Silmaril Has this ever happened to you?

Hello every one and suilad. I was just curious about something, has anyone every been mistaken for one of middle earth's creatures. I have,I guess I can just tell you what happened. Well I was in the market with my mom shoping for food items and such. We were in the pastry isle when it happened. A little and her mom passed by us, the little girl was all hippe, bouncing up and down, doing evrything a small child should not do in a supper market. Well she looked at me and pointed her index finger saying "momy, mommy look. It the pretty elf girl from the movie."
I was just wondering if any of you guys have had something similar happen to you. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2003, 01:00 PM   #2
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

As a matter of fact, that happened to me when I was at the TTT showing! I was wearing this long, flowy, Elven-type wrap dress (as a coat), and I was wearing this black velvet tunic that I made with black leggings and boots (what can I say, I felt Ranger-ish that day) and I was carrying my sword (Hadhafang, which I ordered from the Noble Collection Catalog) on my back. A bunch of little kids had just come in the door, when they all started screaming hysterically and running towards me. I could make out, "It's a Ranger! It's a Ranger!" amidst the babble. Needless to say, I felt extremely satisfied! Just to show off, I started rattling off a few greetings here and there in Sindarin and Quenya and impressed a bunch of people. Apparently, the manager of the theater was there too. He came over and asked me if I wanted to work part-time as a LotR promoter there. All I had to do was walk around in my costume for a while and spout lines in Sindarin!!!!!!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 01:19 PM   #3
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Wow! Way too cool, Finwe! I wish stuff like that happened to me.... How'd you get that costume; it sounds really cool!

BTW, Welcome to the Barrow-Downs, mallorn!!! Enjoy being dead. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]
Old 06-14-2003, 01:26 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I made it. Well, to be honest, I only made the tunic. The rest I bought from wonderful discount stores. For the tunic, I bought a lot of black velvet material, then asked my mom to measure me, then cut and sewed the tunic myself. It wasn't overly hard. I also put an eight-pointed star on the front (for Feanor, who is my alter-ego's ancestor) using an applique. It sounds hard, but it's actually quite easy.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:59 PM   #5
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

There have been some episodes like theese but not so obvieously destrict . My relatives have found some similarities between me and hobbits and bogys (bored of the ring) so my new second name is bogy .
But there is another thing . 2 of my friends have told me l have pointy ears (only after whatching the TTT movie) and some of my realiteves have told me that I look like Liv Tyler but l don't buy it . But my ears are strange really.....And I can talk like Gollum =)
And actually it is really hard to find anyone in my country who has seen this movie and really really liked it so it is allmost impossible to find someone that who can point at your similarities of any LotR charecter . [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2003, 02:01 PM   #6
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

The same thing happens to me. I'm starting to think that my ears are slightly pointy, and when I looked at my baby pictures, my ears were actually pointy! They've lessened as the years went by, apparently.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:05 PM   #7
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The only person who mistakes me for a Middle Earth creature is me. Namely, Gollum. Or possibly an elf, sometimes.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:52 PM   #8
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Silmaril

It's happened twice to me. My hair is normally blonde, but one day, I was shopping with my friend Arluin (her real name is Meghan, but I don't call her that) and we found a dress just like Arwen's white gown in the movie. Since Arluin is a little bigger than I am, it only fit me, so I went in the fitting room and put it on, and then she runs in there with this black wig she found somewhere and tells me to put it on, so I do and when I go out of the fitting room, this guy comes up to me and says I look like Liv Tyler, and then these three girls come into the changing room and say Elen Sila Lúmenn' Omentielvo Arwen Undomiel (a star shines on the hour of our meeting arwen evenstar) and that was pretty cool. People have told me I looked like Liv Tyler before, but I never saw it until I put the black wig on, then I really did. It was freaky.
There was another time, when I was walking on this path behind my house with Arluin and Anodian (another friend of mine) and Arluin had this cloak on and Anodian was dressed like the hobbit she is and I was wearing this white dress, with a sleeveless brown tunic thingie that went over my upper torso and was laced at the waist, and I had a dagger at my hip, and these kids who were a few years older than us were walking and they see us and there all, "oh my God, jenny, look it's eowyn and some hobbit!" "yeah, dude, chris, it's the guys from lord of the rings!" "who's the dude in the cloak?" "i don't know. but that girl's eowyn!" and they're all pointing and everything...weird. I think the weirdest part is that everyone says I look like Liv Tyler and I was mistaken for Miranda Otto's chracter...but hey, whatever.
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 05:36 PM   #9
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

Mine was not LOTR at all. I was walking from one stor to the next at our local "market" and there was this old Indian woman with her grandson(he looked like a girl,but that doesnot matter). This kid lloks up at me and says, " Look grandma a witch." I couldn't blame him i was wearing all black, velvet and lace, with striped black and white socks and high heals..... Maybe if I wear more elvish stuff I can be mistaken for Eaowen. Sigh, alas nothing good ever happens to me.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:32 AM   #10
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

I've had people point out, and talk about, my One Ring that I wear around my neck...but thats about it as far as the public goes.
Yet I have had, many times, been just sitting around, hanging out with my friend Maria, and she will just suddenly pop out with a "You look like an Elf!" Even though she does tend to say many randomn coments, I have had other friends of mine say I'm "elf-like", and that I resemble Liv Tyler.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 11:25 AM   #11
mallorn

Silmaril

Ha ha, reading all these replies is great keep the coming. I had no idea that something similar happened to so many people.
Just imagine the response if I had worn a costume he he. I will when Return of The King lets out. I was gonna do costume for Two Towers but there were conflicts, mark my words I shall ware costume!
Okie enough sillyness.
*Vanya sulie* fair winds