The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2003, 10:49 AM   #1
BeautifulSoup

The Eye The Two Towers DVD

I have spent the past 3 weeks in Russia, and my mother bought me TTT on DVD for 200rub. (that's about £4) <BR>It is very funny. The first thing that comes on screen is "This film is for the viewing of the Academy [the people who give out Oscars] only, and not for release to the general public." <BR>Ooops. <P>Oh well.<P>Don't get me wrong, I don't support piracy or anything, but legitimate DVDs are just not to be found over there!<BR>Plus, it doesn't come out for several months.<P>I was wondering, do you think it was morally wrong of me to buy it, as I am now being persecuted by my guilt.<P>But then I think, hey, I have the Two Towers DVD!<P>That's it really, and now I think about it, this is probably not very suitable for BD, but I don't know.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:00 AM   #2
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

First of all, let me say, Welcome, BeautifulSoup. What an interesting name!<P>Now, to your question. Should you feel morally wrong about your DVD. Well, my thought is I'm not quite sure, considering you didn't mention that YOU bought it. Were you there? Did you convince your mom to buy it? And the real question, did you know that it was pirated? <P>If you weren't there, then I wouldn't sweat it at all. It wasn't your decision in the first place. <P>If you were, and you convinced her, that would be an entirely differnt matter.<P>I'm sure the answer to the last question could be a little obvious, considering we all know that the release date should be around August time. But were you thinking that perhaps Russia was lucky and got it early? <P>I guess really, it would depend on the kind of morals you try to hold for yourself. Some people may consider it morally wrong if you intentionally bought a pirated version. Some people may not, thinking if it is out there to buy, buy it. <P>I think when it comes down to it, I really can't answer that question for you. My moral code could be vastly different from your own. But I do hope my initial thoughts may have helped you out. I think my parting words to you should be, if you didn't buy it, and didn't know your mom was buying it, don't worry. If you are home now, you certainly aren't going to trek all the way back to Russia just to return it.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:02 AM   #3
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The legitimate DVD is not availabe here either. The AA screener copies are floating around and are out there for downloading. It's your call! I wouldn't feel too guilty if you are going to buy the official Dvd when it comes out anyway. Especially if you will probably end up buying both versions. (like I will) It's only money!
Old 04-28-2003, 11:13 AM   #4
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I wouldn't feel too guilty if you are going to buy the official Dvd when it comes out anyway. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Like what has already been said, we can't dictate your morality but personally, I would agree with the above statement.<P>H.C.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:31 PM   #5
Morima
Haunting Spirit

Morima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morima Send a message via MSN to Morima
Tolkien

You have TTT on DVD. Doesn't that excuse all but stealing?<P>Just kidding (c:=. But you get my drift. I don't think you should feel guilty.

Aki Benetah.
Morima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:24 PM   #6
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a TTT dvd and its pirated. Got it in Malaysia and you can see dvds of all the new movies about 4 days after they've been in the cinema My TTT dvd has that thing about the oscars as well, at the bottom of the screen 'For your consideration' keeps flashing. Its really hilarious to watch it, they have english subtitles and the FUNNIEST one is this :<BR>When Eomer and Gandalf are about to save Theoden and that lot in Helm's Deep Eomer shouts 'Rohirrim'. In the subtitles however it says 'We'll hit them!' <BR>I was laughing so hard I could hardly breath <P>Anyway back to the topic, I wouldn't feel bad about buying a pirated dvd. In Malaysia even the police officers buy them!
Old 04-29-2003, 08:06 PM   #7
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think it's a decision everyone has to make on their own. I buy fansubs of Japanese anime, so I've had to decide for myself what I feel comfortable with and what constitutes "piracy." My own interpretation is that the people who make great music or anime or movies should be rewarded for it as much as reasonably possible and the people who didn't contribute anything shouldn't make money off of it. This means that I try to buy bootleg copies ONLY if there is no legitimate way of buying the "real thing" in my country, and if a legitimate version comes out after I've bought the bootleg, I must either *buy* the legitimate version or *destroy* the bootleg copy. That's fair to the people who created the original version because either I want it enough to pay full price (and reward them) or I don't want it enough to own it (in which case they wouldn't have gotten any money out of me anyway.)<P>Good luck with your own decision making! It's a pretty grey area.<BR>-Lily
Old 05-06-2003, 10:22 AM   #8
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

My friend was just in Russia, and he just brought me back that DVD. It's cool, except the dubbing is terrible. But you can turn it off in sound effects...<P>~Menelien