The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #2721
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Is the speaker in Roverandom?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #2722
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
No, the quote isn't from "Roverandom"
Old 10-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #2723
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I have been puzzled over the speaker of this quote for along time - I could have sworn it was Gandalf in LotR, but of course that wouldn't be on-topic on this thread! The quote I recognize; I paged through Farmer Giles, as it occurred to me that it could be there, but it wasn't. You said above that it's not in Roverandom, and I'm quite sure it's not in Smith or Leaf either. It's not poetry, so it can't be in the Tom Bombadil cycle. On Fairy Stories? I doubt it. The Homecoming of the guys with the difficult-to-spell names? Ditto. Maybe the Father Christmas Letters? Is it Father Christmas speaking?

If that's not the answer, I have absolutely no idea where to look anymore. The list of our suspects grows thin!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #2724
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
I'm quite sure it's not in Smith
What makes you so sure?

It's a bit hard to spot, because I left out the beginning of this sentence, and the next sentence.
Here is the quote in its whole length:
Quote:
"Ah yes. I ought to have been. I should have been, ---, but I was delayed ; and I have had matters to think of that put all else out of mind for a time. But I did not forget -------"
It should be easier to find now!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:16 AM   #2725
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Aha!!* Thank you for the clues, both in giving more of the quote and in pointing me to the right work. It is of course Smith of Wootton Major, speaking to his son Ned concerning Tomling's birthday.

*Where's a lightbulb smilie when you need one?!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #2726
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Correct, of course. (was lange währt, wird endlich gut...)
Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 AM   #2727
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's a new quote to get this thread going again:
Quote:
--/ ---'-/ --/ --------/ --/ ----/ -/ --/ --/ ----/
Old 10-20-2008, 06:57 AM   #2728
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"n"s?
Old 10-20-2008, 06:57 AM   #2729
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
And E, please.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #2730
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

The knight who says "ne"?!

+N+E

--/ --n'-/ -e/ --n-e-e-/ --/ ----/ -/ --/ --/ ----/
Old 10-21-2008, 06:54 AM   #2731
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"w"s?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #2732
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

T-time!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #2733
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

newt

-t/ --n't/ -e/ w-n-e-e-/ -t/ t--t/ -/ --/ --/ ----/
Old 10-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #2734
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

A please
Old 10-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #2735
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"c"s?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 AM   #2736
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

newtac

-t/ can't/ -e/ w-n-e-e-/ at/ t-at/ -/ a-/ --/ ----/
Old 10-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #2737
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Hm, it sounds kind of familiar, but I can't find it...

S please
Old 10-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #2738
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

-t/ can't/ -e/ w-n-e-e-/ at/ t-at/ -/ a-/ s-/ --s-/

Shall I give a hint as to the source? It's not an easy quote - but we have done so many here that I looked for something not too obvious.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #2739
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Now I can finally figure out the last word too

Quote:
"It can't be wondered at that I am so busy"
My guess is that this is Father Christmas. If not, I'd indeed be glad for a hint!
Old 10-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #2740
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes indeed, it is Father Christmas - a bit early for the season, perhaps, but the quote seemed so appropriate for my life right now. Carry on, Guinevere!
Old 10-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #2741
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Quite appropriate, I should think so! I noticed that there are quite a lot of quotes about being busy (Niggle, Artaxerxes, Farmer Giles...)

"----/ --/ ---/ ----/ --/ ------/, ---/ ----/ -------/ -------! --/ -----/ ---/ -----/ ---/ ---/ -------/."
Old 10-27-2008, 04:02 AM   #2742
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

a T or 2

I can haz T plz? kthksbai
Old 10-27-2008, 07:09 AM   #2743
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"h"s, pleease.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #2744
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

TH (good choices!)

"----/ -t/ th-/ t---/ h-/ ---t--/, --t/ ----/ -------/ h------! H-/ -----/ --t/ -----/ ---/ h--/ -------/."

(What the heck is " kthksbai"??)
Old 10-27-2008, 01:51 PM   #2745
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
(What the heck is " kthksbai"??)
Could it be Ok, thanks, bye?

Any O's?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #2746
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

HOT

"-oo-/ -t/ th-/ t---/ h-/ ---t--/, -ot/ ----/ -------/ h------! H-/ -----/ -ot/ -----/ -o-/ h--/ -o-----/."

@ Aganzir: tx!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #2747
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

"kthksbai" (or similar spellings) is a "lolcat" expression. It does indeed mean OK, thanks, bye. And of course the grammar in my question, which would be incorrect for hoomans, is absolutely acceptable for lolcats. If you haven't come across them, check out the I Can Has Cheezburger site for examples. It's one of my favourite places for a good laugh!

While we're speaking of "lol", let me ask: I can has L, plz?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #2748
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

LOTH

"Loo-/ -t/ th-/ t---/ h-/ ---t--/, -ot/ ----/ -------/ h----l-! H-/ -----/ -ot/ -----/ -o-/ h--/ -o-----/."

(*g* these lolcats are hilarious! But a bad influence for anyone whose English spelling skills are not firm!)
Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #2749
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"c"s?
Old 10-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #2750
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

no C, sorry.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:58 AM   #2751
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"k"s?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:31 AM   #2752
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

...and S, please.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #2753
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

KLOSTH ( no C)

"Look/ -t/ th-/ t---/ h-/ --st--/, -ot/ ----/ ---s---/ h--s-l-! H-/ -----/ -ot/ -----/ -o-/ h-s/ -o-----/."
Old 10-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #2754
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

R there any Rs?

I'm searching, since the first word is complete , but I don't have a clear idea of the speaker or location yet.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #2755
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

KLORSTH ( no C)

"Look/ -t/ th-/ t---/ h-/ --st--/, -ot/ ----/ ---s---/ h--s-l-! H-/ ----r/ -ot/ r----/ -or/ h-s/ -o-r---/."
Old 10-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #2756
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"i"s?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:50 PM   #2757
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

HIKLORST ( no C)

"Look/ -t/ th-/ ti--/ h-/ --st--/, -ot/ ----/ ---si--/ hi-s-l-! H-/ ----r/ -ot/ r----/ -or/ his/ -o-r---/."
Old 10-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #2758
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Ah! Now I can guess at enough words to know where to look. The quote is:
Quote:
Look at the time he wasted, not even amusing himself! He never got ready for his journey.
The speaker is the First Voice, speaking of Niggle in "Leaf".
Old 10-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #2759
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Leaf

Exactly!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:43 AM   #2760
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

According to that quote, time spent on the Downs is not wasted - we amuse ourselves here!!

A new one (with an alternate possibility of amusement):
Quote:
--/ ---/ -/ ----/ ----/, ---/ --/ ---/ -------/ ---/ -------/.