The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-25-2002, 09:15 PM   #1
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye Sauron....who is sauron

After reading all the books for the 5th time i still don`t get it...what is Sauron is he a mere man or an astari like Gandalf and Saruman.
Then how did he get his powers?
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
" What have I got in my pocket?"
Bilbo baggins
Old 05-25-2002, 09:41 PM   #2
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

He's not an Istari, but he is of the same race as them, the Maiar, the lesser of the Valar, and they as a race must have been powerful. He was a servant of Morgoth, the Great Enemy, and through him he must have learned a lot about power. The One Ring was his tool, and it was very powerful, because it was created by the elves, so he did not have all the power, because the ring was his life force after he was defeated in physical form. If the power had really been his own, he would have survived after the ring was cast into the fires.

And Bilbo's got the ring in his pocket!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 10:58 PM   #3
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Sauron was a Maia, The Istari were also Maia. Sauron was seduced into the evil service of Melkor the evil Vala in the first age. You can learn more about Sauron and Melkor in the Silmarillion, an excellent read.

Sauron forged the One Ring in Mount Doom, much of his own power was placed into it.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 12:54 AM   #4
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

Ainu, one of the Maiar of Aule. seduced by Melkor early in the First Age, Sauron became the chief of his servants and anchored the front line of his defense against the valar and Eldar.
He must have gotten power by learning from Morgoth.
Old 05-26-2002, 08:19 AM   #5
avarrogion
Wight

The Eye

Well thanx evryone for the imformation that i needed...kinda love Sauron now but then Boromir remains my fav. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2002, 08:49 AM   #6
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sauron was a Maia, as is already said, in the service of Aulë. Early in the First Age he was corrupted by Melkor the Morgoth. He became the Lieutenant of Angband and Melkor's chief servant. The Istari are also Maiar, but Sauron wasn't one of them. The Istari were sent by the Valar to help the people of ME against Sauron. Chief of them was Saruman, but Gandalf was the chief-enemy of Sauron as Cirdan percieved when he came to ME. That's also the reason why Cirdan gave Gandalf the Red Ring, Narya, ring of fire.

Quote:
The One Ring was his tool, and it was very powerful, because it was created by the elves
The elves did not make the One Ring. Sauron made it himself in the Cracks of Doom, in Orodruin. The elves made all the other Rings of Power, chief of these were the Three. Sauron made the One to rule all other Rings, and the ones who posessed them. In this way he later ensnared men, and they became the Nazgûl. By the making of the Ring much of his power went forth into the Ring (as with Feänor and the Silmarils for he could not make them again).
When he had made the One Ring and put it on his finger, the elves were aware of him. They hid the Three for they were unsullied, because Sauron had never touched nor seen them. All the other Rings of Power Sauron gained in his possession (and some the dragons consumed). Sauron chiefest thought was to gain the Three as well and become all-mighty. But then the free species made The Last Alliance and Sauron was overthrown and the One Ring was cut from his finger. Isildur, who had the Ring, was trapped by orcs and Ring was lost at that time, until it was found by Deagol.

Sauron had to gain the Ring in his possession again to become all-mighty. He didn't need the Three anymore, because the power of the elves was diminishing. They were few and formed little threat, according to him. All his power was now set on gaining the One Ring. Why he 'died', when the Ring was destroyed, I don't really now. Maybe someone can answer that question for me.

Hope this will do.

greetings,
lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 09:01 AM   #7
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

HAHAHHA!
You like Sauron?? That really cracks me up!
hehehehehe
In the LOTR trilogy, Sauron seemed to me nothing but a little wimp with a great huge eye. He wasn't all that scary at all and when the ring was thrown into the Cracks of Doom by Gollum in his madness, nothing really happened and it was quite dissapointing because i thought something more......would happen from sauron.
That was the disappointing part in the book for me.
Old 05-26-2002, 10:40 AM   #8
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Uhm, Orlandosumthin', The reason why the big final battle was won by the goodies, is because Saurons' power was destroyed. He was actually winning the fight, but after his demise the Orcs were short work. That's quite a difference! And for Sauron himself, the whole tower Barad Dur crumbled. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 12:30 PM   #9
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

Yea, Orlando, Sauron rocks... now it's time for Gandalf v. Sauron.. who will win?
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
The Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 12:41 PM   #10
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I will of course! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 02:09 PM   #11
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
He must have gotten power by learning from Morgoth.
He had power as a Maia to begin with, then enhanced by serving Melkor.

Quote:
Why he 'died', when the Ring was destroyed, I don't really now. Maybe someone can answer that question for me.
Sauron didn't actually die, he was weakened to the point that he was never able to take shape again. When the Ring was destroyed so was most of Sauron's power which was in it. Maia are spirit beings and do not die.

I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 03:23 PM   #12
Luinsewiel
Haunting Spirit

Location: The Great Grey-Green Greasy Limpopo River, All Set About With Fever Trees
Luinsewiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Luinsewiel Send a message via AIM to Luinsewiel
Sting

Quote:
. He wasn't all that scary at all and when the ring was thrown into the Cracks of Doom by Gollum in his madness, nothing really happened and it was quite dissapointing because i thought something more......would happen from sauron.
um... Mount Doom erupted and Frodo and Sam were surounded by molten lava. The orcs the Captains of the West were fighting went mad and some killed themselves and Sauron bent all of his will on Frodo, forgetting even the war he was winning.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:02 AM   #13
avarrogion
Wight

The Eye

Yes Frodo was losing the battle when he said this " I have come but i do not choose now to do what i came to do. I will not do this deed. The ring is mine!" Sauron eventually let victory slipped away from him...sad but it`s a good thing.
Well everyone after reading the book, come to think of it it was Gollum who destroyed the One ring and not Frodo.

" Even Gollum may have something yet to do?"
Frodo to Sam at Mount Doom
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2002, 06:26 PM   #14
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Sauron is my Mother-in-Law.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:30 PM   #15
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Raefindel, if Sauron is your mother-in-law, then your mother-in-law is my unit manager. A person of power and seeming fair face whose words can both charm you and kill you!
Old 05-28-2002, 06:47 PM   #16
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Er, explain how Sauron is your Mother-In-Law when he's actually a guy? And he never had a son either. D'oh! You're confusing me!!!! [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Okay, never mind! Just read the "Do you live w/ someone from ME" thread.

[ May 28, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 01:37 PM   #17
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

No, I'm very convinced of it...Sauron is my Mother-in-law.