The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2004, 09:03 AM   #1
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
LotR Names

From what I've read on some other threads, it seems some 'Downers and/or people they know have elvish names or names of LotR characters. My question is, does this merit torment from cruel people who don't get that having such a name makes you infinitely cool? See, in the event that I should ever have a son (not that this is going to happen anytime soon), I wish to name him Peregrin because I think it's suchan awesome name. (Peregrin Nigel, in full, actually, but we won't go there ) For a girl a think that having a name like Arwen or Galadriel wouldn't be bad at all because they're pretty names, but for a guy it may be different.

Just curious, I'd like to know what LotR-related names you/people you know have and if you've ever gotten teased or anything for it. Wouldn't want to have my future children hate me!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:10 AM   #2
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Well I was thinking of naming my son Sam(not that I want a son anytime soon)

but I know it isnt that far out there but the cool thing is

Sam Andrew Mag..... his initials would be S.A.M.

Theoden and Gandalf are two names I'd want to name my son or even Gimli

I don't know if I'd want to name my daughter something out of LOTR because I already have her name picked out Saphire my future wife doesn't like it too bad lol
Old 08-03-2004, 09:15 AM   #3
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Well, if Peregrin were somehow objected to by my future husband/all the sane people, then I'd pick Tristan. not LotR-ish, but still got the same kind of feel to it. For a girl, Aspen Luthien. Not negotiable.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:20 AM   #4
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Not I doubt Peregrin would be bad sounds like Prinston or one of those richy names

and if they don't like it use the nickname pip that shouldn't be to objected
Old 08-03-2004, 09:21 AM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I was going to name my child Brego, regardless of whether they were a boy or girl. I wisely altered my decision and have currently shortlisted Sauron and Faramir, and something Numenorean for my daughter. Or maybe a Hobbit name, since they can be rather inconspicuous.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:23 AM   #6
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Yeah I was also considering the nickname "perry," thats not too bad but my friends still think I'm messed up.

For a while I fancied naming a girl and boy Laurelin and Telperion after the Two Trees... that would be perfect, but again, who knows what the cruel world would to a guy named Telperion?

A hobbit name could be a good idea; they sound nice and aren't too conspicuous, as you say. I like the idea of using Faramir, though.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:34 AM   #7
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Interesting topic......

If I were to call a son/ daughter something from lotr it would be because of what it means rather than being a character. For example, Aragorn. I would name my son this, because it means 'white tree', not because Aragorn is a very popular lotr character. I doubt I would call my daughter something from lotr, but if I did, she would be called Eowyn. But I already picked Opal, because it's my birthstone.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:18 AM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Personally,

For me, personally, I wouldn't name my kids (if I had any) LOTR names (well maybe Sam). I like how people name their pets after LOTR names, but for a human being? I don't know, it's just something that I wouldn't do. Maybe some of the names, I agree, I think Peregrin is a nice name, a long with Merry. I think Frodo, Aragorn, Gandalf...etc should just all stick to pets.

I do admit, recently, there was a kid, his parents named him "espn" after the sports show, you know, ESPN? They are pronouncing it "espen." My sympathy is out to that boy, I hate to say it, but that name is far worse then any LOTR names.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:29 PM   #9
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I agree with Boromir88 but if I ever get a girl, I could consider naming her Elanor. But then again, sooner or later, I would make her to read the trilogy and she would find out that she's been named after some fictional hobbit lass...
Anyway, maybe it's better to stick to something inconspicuous like Meela said.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:00 AM   #10
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isowen
For example, Aragorn. I would name my son this, because it means 'white tree'
You mean in Elvish? Sorry, but I don't think it does. Ar means noble and the rest is unaccounted for.

Anyway, I wouldn't name my kids anything from Middle Earth, but my sister wants to name her daughter Lorien and her son Elessar. Luckily she still has time to change her mind as she's only 15
Old 08-04-2004, 04:08 AM   #11
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
I think you can not give your children LotR names. I'm certain I would completely dislike it to be called Gandalf or Denethor. Imagine yourself in that position. No one will see as yourself but they'll allways relate you to LotR.

Of course, the less well-known names could be used as they won't immediately offer the link to Tolkien. I'm thinking of names from the Silm. I personally think names like Irmo are nice and wouldn't be too obvious.

Of course, names like Sam are not obviously influenced by the works so could be more bearable for the kid.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:51 AM   #12
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'm hating myself right now because I can't remember who it was but, some celebrity person called her daughter "apple" !
I kind of agree with Boromir 88, about the pets. My friend actually has a cat called Frodo.
Although lotr names are good in stories and such, I don't think we should bring them into reality! Most other kids at school would tease them if they had a name like Gandalf or Sauron!
Usually people pick names for their children which are popular at the time, for example you'll find that a lot of people are called "amy" or "sarah". And I can't see the names from lotr becoming popular anytime soon.
I don't really care what is popular and what is not, but I wouldn't like for my child to be teased because they have a lotr name, and the child might not like lotr!!!! (mine will be forced to read it though )
Old 08-04-2004, 10:21 AM   #13
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Don't know about LotR names never becoming popular...Both my parents are teachers and boy do we have fun at the beginning of the school year trying to pronounce all the names. The winner from last year: Elijsha (pronounced without the 'sh', but it's more fun to try with it).

But I do think it'd be hard for a kid to be named even Frodo. Can you imagine the hardships for a boy named Merry in today's soceity? I can hear the bullies chanting now: "Mister Merry, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?" *shudder* Sam, Elanor, sure, Pippin at the craziest, but otherwise I think it would mess with the poor child's mind.

The closest I'd ever come to a M-E name is Ariel, Elvish 'royal daughter' and Hebrew 'lion of God'. Also, as a slight detour from Peregrin, is Kestrel, which I think makes a wonderful name.

Maybe even Faramir as a middle name, so hardly anyone would know...
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 03:45 PM   #14
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
I personally think Kestrel makes for a bad name,but hey it's my opinion. As for the reason why I think so...a Kestrel is of course a bird. I don't know if you're American but if you are, that could be part of the reason for thinking of such a name. It's comparable to names like Fern, April, June, May or Star. On the whole I do think Americans are pretty bad at name giving.

But to stick to the topic, I agree you should never call your kid Gandalf or Frodo. You're likely to regret it. Stick to simple not too-obviously LotR names. Like I allready said, I think names like Irmo are much more bearable. That one doesn't sound to lofty either.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:48 PM   #15
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Or put it as a middle name so they really wouldn't notice it as was said earlier

I personally think

Saphire Arwen Magu...... has a nice ring to it (I love most S names if you didn't already notice)

but Sauron and Saruman both cool names but don't work well in real life