The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #961
Parmastahir
Wight

Parmastahir has just left Hobbiton.
January CotM

Updated the Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Happy New Year to all!

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Old 01-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #962
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I was actually wondering about your site the other day when I got a 2010 calendar.
Great to see you're still collecting them! Maybe one day there will be an exhibition with your collection, I'd like to visit that.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #963
Parmastahir
Wight

Hail and Well Met!

Hulloo The Might -

It has been a while since I corresponded with you. While I read some of the other threads of interest to me, I don't generally post elsewhere than here. (I much enjoy Crazy Captions!) Am glad to know you're around. Happy New Year to you!

Had some success last year filling in some of the holes in my collection (especially, with the volunteer help of a great Spaniard, four of the Ediciones Minotauro calendars.) And had a wonderful gift from a very talented amateur (in name only) from Australia (one of only two copies of a calendar that he produced, and the first in his new series of watercolor illustrations.) I am very fortunate, indeed, to have met (if only virtually) many most excellent Tolkien fans the world over. It is a rather small world.

Re seeing my collection, I do on occasion set up a traveling display with as many as 40 calendars from my collection. I have displayed them at the annual Tolkien Conference at the University of Vermont and at MythCon 39 in Connecticut. At the latter, Ted Nasmith stopped by and we visited about the calendars. He was particularly interested in the 1990 NOT Tolkien calendar (which had signed by four of the illustrators who were attending that conference.)

Hope you purchased a 2010 Tolkien calendar!

Parmastahir
Old 01-31-2010, 09:17 AM   #964
Parmastahir
Wight

February CotM

Hello to All -

Posted a classic for the February Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

With the 2010 issues now catalogued, there are now 320 calendars listed.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the winter (whether you're in the Northern or Southern hemisphere!)

Parmastahir
Old 03-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #965
Parmastahir
Wight

March CotM

Posted another classic for the March Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Thanks for looking in!

Happy Spring to all!

Away from The (soon to be) Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Old 03-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #966
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thanks for posting this, Parmastahir! I find I quite like Kirk's style (except for his hobbits, who border a little too much on caricature for my taste); Smaug and Galadriel are two highlights in this selection for me, but what I find most interesting is the architecture of Esgaroth on the picture for March - I think I can see a nod to Norwegian stave-churches in some of those buildings, but the whole ensemble wouldn't seem terribly out of place in any culture between Scandinavia and Japan (the curving gables!). Beautiful!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #967
Parmastahir
Wight

Hello Pitchwife -

Am pleased that you visited and enjoyed the 1975 Ballantine. Tim also did the first calendar (the 1969 LASFS issue.) I have corresponded with him and he was very generous with his time and comments (and scanned his copy of that calendar so that I could post the images associated with that entry.) I find that I am drawn to the "Cracks of Doom." The scale is not certain until one notices the tiny figure (Frodo?)

Parm
Old 03-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #968
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Just checked the calendar and now I know where the "riddle game" drawing comes from.
I also liked Galadriel and the Cracks of Doom and the Centerfold was nice as well. Not a big fan of the Smaug drawing, just not how I would have pictured him.
Also, is it just me or is Maggot misspelled as Moggot?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:40 PM   #969
Parmastahir
Wight

No, It's Not You . . .

It was Ballantine who misspelled Maggot. It's a classic error right up there with the 1999 issue in which Alan Lee's Treebeard was printed upside down! Curiously, the same 1975 calendar was published in Canada by Methuen, and they spelled Maggot correctly! How are things with you? Slowly coming out my winter hibernation. Thanks for looking in.

Parm
Old 04-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #970
Parmastahir
Wight

April CotM

Posted a new Calendar of the Month for April at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This one is a new (2010) issue. Hope you enjoy it!

Parmastahir
Old 04-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #971
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Nice one, I especially liked Nimrodel and Arwen and Aragorn. The Entwife is also nicely done, pretty much how I would picture one to look like.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #972
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I enjoyed these pictures by different hobby-artists a lot.
I am especially pleased to see illustrations of some of Tolkien's "Minor works", like Smith of Wootton Major, Farmer Giles, and Roverandom!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #973
Parmastahir
Wight

2010 S.t.e.

Thank you both for looking in, and I'm glad that you enjoyed them. I also like the Nimrodel illustration (somewhat favoring interpretive illos over literal ones.) And I like "El Puerta Negra." I find the February illo (Sauron's Standard) disturbing. It is apparently the body of Celebrimbor after the battle of Hollin. The subject matter is certainly unique among the thousands found in the many calendars in my collection. But so are those from the minor works that Guinevere noted. Even Fimbrethil is among less than 20 (in total) works featuring Ents in the many calendars.

Happy Spring to you both!

Parmastahir
Old 05-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #974
Parmastahir
Wight

May CotM

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Here's your chance to walk down memory lane with a calendar that is today somewhat rarely seen. Happy May to all!

Parmastahir
Old 06-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #975
Parmastahir
Wight

June CotM

Posted the Calendar of the Month for June at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Chose to post this issue to honor the June birthday of Fangorn, a wonderful gentleman and giant in the Tolkien world.

Parmastahir
Old 06-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #976
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Nice one as usual!

Mrs. Baynes really did some good work back then, closest surely to what the Professor actually had in mind. I especially like the story of how the two came to work together as written on Wikipedia:

Quote:
In 1948 Tolkien was visiting his publishers, George Allen & Unwin, to discuss some disappointing artwork that they had commissioned for his novella Farmer Giles of Ham, when he spotted, lying on a desk, some witty reinterpretations of medieval marginalia from the Luttrell Psalter that greatly appealed to him. These, it turned out, had been sent to the publishers "on spec" by the then unknown Pauline Baynes. Tolkien demanded that the creator of these drawings be set to work illustrating Farmer Giles of Ham, and was delighted with the subsequent results, declaring that Pauline Baynes had "reduced my text to a commentary on her drawings". Further collaboration between Tolkien and his Farmer Giles illustrator followed, and a lifelong friendship developed... Later, when she showed him her artwork for a poster featuring Frodo and Bilbo Baggins, the author nodded approvingly and murmured quietly: "There they are, there they are."
Old 08-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #977
Parmastahir
Wight

August CotM

Hello to all -

Posted a WONDERFUL new Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This is a GOOD one!

Hope this finds all well.

Parmastahir
Old 08-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #978
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
That is one of the most interesting Tolkien art calendars that have been issued! It's certainly a change in style from the more typical illustrations. Nice that you got an autographed copy, Parmastahir!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #979
Parmastahir
Wight

Autographed Calendar

Hi Estelyn -

As has been said, it's not what you know but who you know. One of the gentlemen acknowledged in the calendar is a good friend of Mr. Blok's. He has also supported my calendar collecting (obsession, what's in a word?) over the years. He got Mr. Blok to sign it and then it sent to me. Many of my calendar are signed (for example, Ted Nasmith, Colin Williams, and the 1990 NOT Tolkien calendar which I got signed at MythCon 39.)

And if anyone is interested in a 2011 calendar, we are working on the next Heren Istarion/Northeast Tolkien Society issue. This one will feature the works of Anke Eismann and Sue Wookey (as well as a cover by Jef Murray who has done all of our covers.)

Thanks for looking in!

Parm
Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #980
Parmastahir
Wight

September CotM

Hello to All -

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

At the risk of spoiling the surprise, it is the 1986 Beyond Bree calendar. It is a rarely seen issue and only the second of their series. I featured this one in anticipation of the issue of their 2011 calendar which commemorates the 30th anniversary of Beyond Bree. Congratulations to Nancy Martsch and all who support this active society.

Parmastahir
Old 10-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #981
Parmastahir
Wight

October CotM

Hello to all -

Posted the October Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you enjoy it (and can appreciate "the sacrifice" that I made to be able to post it for you!)

Parmastahir
Old 10-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #982
Parmastahir
Wight

HI/NETS 2011 Calendar

If you're looking for a Christmas gift for a Tolkien fan, please consider the 2011 Heren Istarion/Northeast Tolkien Society Calendar available at:

http://herenistarionnets.blogspot.co...-calendar.html

The fourth in this series of calendars, it features another wonderful cover by Jef Murray, illustrations by Anke Eissmann and Sue Wookey, and a specially created centerfold commemorating their 10th anniversary. Net proceeds benefit this official Tolkien Society smial. My daughter and I printed a rather limited edition: only 65 will be available!

Parmastahir
Old 10-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #983
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Long time no see, Parm!

Nice new 2011 calendars, especially the new Harper Collins one.
Mr. Blok's minimalistic work definitely has something very special to it, very different from the usual Tolkien-related artwork.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #984
Parmastahir
Wight

November CotM

Hello The Might -

Yes, it has been a while. I post here (obviously) and frequently in Crazy Captions (to satisfy the humorous side of me.)

Just posted the November Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It's a favorite because (1) it's humorous, (2) it's rare, and (3) it came from a wonder in and of himself, Dan Smith. He has created calendars (including the 2010 and 2011 Beyond Bree, the M-e Fellowship, and the many Desolation of Smaug issues), Middle-earth travel brochures, and written tales of M-e based upon the lore of JRRT. I am one fortunate traveller to have crossed the paths of so many talented individuals. In the end, that's what is most important to me.

Hope this finds you well!

Parm
Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #985
Parmastahir
Wight

December CotM

Hello to all -

Posted the December Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is a newly discovered rarity (only six were created.) Happy Holidays to everyone!

Parmastahir
Old 01-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #986
Parmastahir
Wight

January CotM

Hello to all!

Hope your holidays were wonderful.

Posted the January Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is a classic (and relative rarity) from Beyond Bree. That group celebrates its 30th anniversary in April.

Parmastahir
Old 01-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #987
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Very interesting illustrations. I especially fancy the one for May, in its Egyptian style. (But I guess I have to decipher the Cirth runes to find out which scene is depicted...)

edit: I managed to read some of the Runes and found it is Eol giving his sword Anglachel to Thingol! To the left are Beleg and Melian. To the right Mablung

Last edited by Guinevere; 01-05-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #988
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The calendar is indeed as you, quite unusual in aspect and to be honest a bit too unusual for me.

I agree with Guinevere, that does look very Egyptian! Only lacks a hobbit with hawk's head and another one with a jackal's head.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #989
Parmastahir
Wight

February CotM

Hi from the Great White North -

Updated the Calendar of the Month for February at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you enjoy this one.

Parm
Old 03-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #990
Parmastahir
Wight

Special March Calendar of the Month

The Calendar of the Month for March is the 2011 Beyond Bree issue. This one commemorates the 30th anniversary THIS MONTH! Congratulations to a vibrant group. Check it out at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Many different illustrators, lots of different takes on what the characters and scenes look like. Kudos to Lotho Sackville-Baggins who edited this one.

Parm
Old 04-01-2011, 05:03 AM   #991
Parmastahir
Wight

April Calendar of the Month

Hello to all -

Just posted the Calendar of the Month for April at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This one is special to me as I had the great opportunity to work with three very talented illustrators to create it. Hope you enjoy it. Happy Spring to all!

Parm
Old 05-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #992
Parmastahir
Wight

May Calendar of the Month

Hello to All -

Posted the May Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This one is the FIRST 2012 calendar to come out. Admittedly, it's early in the year for a 2012 calendar to appear. WARNING: Spoiler Alert! This calendar is the Jef Murray ALEP 2 Fantasy Calendar. Jef created it and proceeds benefit A Long Expected Party 2 that is being planned. And Jef will sign the calendar that you purchase. You can find ordering information on his website. My copy arrived today. It's very nice and comes in a printed mailing envelope (a nice touch.)

Happy May to everyone!

Parm
Old 06-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #993
Parmastahir
Wight

June CotM

Happy Summer to All -

Posted the June Calendar of the Month at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

It is the latest HI/NETS calendar and features the works of Jef Murray, Anke Eissmann, and Sue Wookey. This one commemorates the 10th anniversary of HI/NETS and has a distinctly Middle-earth feel to it (not that the preceeding issues in this series have not!) Enjoy!

Parm
Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #994
Parmastahir
Wight

October CotM

Hello to all -

Well summer is over and I'm back in a calendar mood as the 2012 calendars are coming out. So I updated the Calendar of the Month feature at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

This month's featured calendar is one of a set of rare ones (not many created and extraordinarily hard to find.) Hope everyone's fall is going well!

Parmastahir
Old 11-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #995
Parmastahir
Wight

November Calendar of the Month

Hello to All -

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature for November at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Hope you enjoy it!

Parm
Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #996
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Some very nice pictures. I always enjoy looking at the calendars, thank you so much for posting them, Parmastahir!

Last edited by Guinevere; 11-05-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: a typo
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #997
Parmastahir
Wight

You're Welcome

Hullo Guinevere -

Thank you for visiting, and I'm certainly glad that you enjoy the illos. Hoping that you had a wonderful Christmas and with best wishes for a healthy and prosperous New Year,

Parm
Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #998
Parmastahir
Wight

January CotM

Hello to All -

Updated the Calendar of the Month feature for January at:

www.tolkiencalendars.com

Not to spoil the surpise, but thought it appropriate to feature a calendar with illustrations done by JRRT himself as his birthday occurs in January.

Am back after an unexpected hiatus. Had BIG problems with my host/server and was worried for weeks that it had disappeared. But a colleague recovered it, switched hosts, and backed it all up for me. (Isn't it always whom you know rather than what?) For which, I could not be more grateful. It was a wonderful Christmas present!

Happy New Year to all!

Parmastahir
Old 10-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #999
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Time to unleash this one again as it looks as though the great big wave of muck and tat/collectibles is upon us for the release of The Hobbit and my Visa card is begging to be let out and used (especially since the good Doctor Who action figures seem to have dried up now they have finally made a Rory one).

I have already got my mitts on a Hobbit annual (very silly, aimed at kids, but I justified this by thinking that 'grown up' fans will not buy it, so this is a wise investment as the only copies around in twenty years' time will all have kids' jammy fingerprints on 'em ). And we have a couple of the new Lego sets (the Gandalf pony cart and Shelob, the others are just too expensive) and the new Hobbit Lego board game.

I am waiting for those action figures though, hoping they are compatible in size with the Lord of the Rings ones. Has anyone over in the US seen any 'in the flesh' yet?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #1000
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

I haven't bought anything new, but when clearing out a closet, I came upon the 1974 Tolkien calender (given to me by my brother in 2001, after I'd become a Tolkien fan) and found I can reuse it again now, since the weekdays are matching this year! (I've done this before)