The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
Marky Lazer
Haunting Spirit

Marky Lazer has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Tolkienian Heroes

Hello all, it's been a hell of a long time since I've been here... But good to be back!

I'm about to write a dissertation on Tolkien for my English master; isn't that cool? I'm thinking about comparing some of Tolkien's heroes with old English heroes. For example Beowulf. Some of his action compare to Aragorn and Túrin, too, I think. Anyone has some hints and tips perhaps?
Old 01-25-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
PrinceOfTheHalflings
Wight

PrinceOfTheHalflings is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky Lazer View Post
Hello all, it's been a hell of a long time since I've been here... But good to be back!

I'm about to write a dissertation on Tolkien for my English master; isn't that cool? I'm thinking about comparing some of Tolkien's heroes with old English heroes. For example Beowulf. Some of his action compare to Aragorn and Túrin, too, I think. Anyone has some hints and tips perhaps?
Aragorn and Beowulf make for a good comparison.

You could do worse than to read this:

http://we-are-not-long-here.blogspot...her-essay.html
PrinceOfTheHalflings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Welcome back, MarkyLazer!

You could also compare Robin Hood to Turin or some more fitting character.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
Marky Lazer
Haunting Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfTheHalflings View Post
Aragorn and Beowulf make for a good comparison.

You could do worse than to read this:

http://we-are-not-long-here.blogspot...her-essay.html
Thanks for that
Old 01-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome back, Marky - pleased to meet another spectre of Elder Days!

That essay PotH linked to is indeed nice, but it fails to mention Aragorn's mental fight with Sauron via the Palantir and his passing through the Paths of the Dead, both of which I consider his greatest heroic deeds - that's where he comes into his own in my opinion and starts acting like a king even before he was crowned.

Since the essay also mentions Roland, I think he could be more fittingly compared to Boromir than Aragorn (who would then fill the role of Charlemagne), at least as far as their deaths are concerned. But as Roland is a French rather than English hero, I don't know how much help that'll be to you.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:30 AM   #6
Marky Lazer
Haunting Spirit

That essay has some useful information, though it comments only on the shortcomings on Beowulf and Roland (have read both), but it fails to see Aragorn's shortcomings. The Path of Dead, for example. It turned out great, but walking off from an important battle, not knowing whether you return is very unkinglike (if that's a word) in the same way Beowulf went off to fight the dragon (he was king already at that point). Beowulf was the best king "ever" and jeopardises the good fortune of his folk going off on such a dangerous feat. Even though Aragorn wasn't king yet, the people already saw him as one, and dashing off into the Path of the Dead, with chances of never returning, is dodgy still, no matter whether it was the right choice in the end (because none could have predicted that at the time he made his decision).
Old 01-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Interesting thoughts, Marky, but there's another factor involved in the episode of Aragorn and the Paths of the Dead: the prophecy that told him to use them. He may have made a "mistake" as far as superficial military planning was concerned, but the whole War of the Ring was more a spiritual endeavour than a military one, or rather, the military effort was only one part of the whole. When a hero's story is told on a mythical level, his actions go deeper than modern thinking would perceive them.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quite the contrary, I'd say, Marky. If he was running off from one important battle (which he knew would be taken care of by Gandalf and Théoden), it was only in order to run towards another, no less crucial battle. He knew about the Corsair fleet approaching Pelargir via the Palantír, and that had to be dealt with as well. The Paths of the Dead were his only hope to not only reach Pelargir in time but also raise an army on the way that was strong enough to counter that threat. True, it was a dangerous path, but as Esty has pointed out, he knew he was meant to take it and he, as Isildur's heir, was the only one who could command the Dead. Anything but a military mistake!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Marky Lazer
Haunting Spirit

But it isn't about what Aragorn believes, is it?

Beowulf believed he did the right thing going back years later to slay the dragon (but it didn't turn out so great, leaving an entire people kingless).

The people, the common soldiers who need to fight alongside Aragorn, see him walking off into the Paths of the Dead, to them that equals certain death. The morale of the troops would collapse, now that this fellow walks off and takes with him them two outlandish heroes as well that did so well in previous skirmishes. That's how he jeopardises the outcome of the battle.

In many texts we can see the benefits of the king being present on the battlefield. As long as he or a prince or an important general fights alongside us, we feel better and fight better, no?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Marky does have a point in regards to how the outcome of battles were predicated on the presence of personal leadership, even in wars up to the 15th century (rl history). The "cult of personality" was a very strong motivator, and the defection, death or capture of well-known warriors or princes could have a deleterious psychological effect on battle.

Therefore, with the sudden absence of Gandalf (who had in effect saved the scattered forces of Erkenbrand) in Gondor, and then the sudden departure of Aragorn and his grim Dunedain (who made the Rohirrim look like boys), along with mythical figures (to the Rohirrim anyway) such as the Elf Legolas and the Dwarf Gimli, it could have a decidedly negative effect on the Rohirrim. Tolkien didn't consider the implications most likely, and preferred to ignore this avenue of the plot.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
But it isn't about what Aragorn believes, is it?

Beowulf believed he did the right thing going back years later to slay the dragon (but it didn't turn out so great, leaving an entire people kingless).

The people, the common soldiers who need to fight alongside Aragorn, see him walking off into the Paths of the Dead, to them that equals certain death. The morale of the troops would collapse, now that this fellow walks off and takes with him them two outlandish heroes as well that did so well in previous skirmishes. That's how he jeopardises the outcome of the battle.

In many texts we can see the benefits of the king being present on the battlefield. As long as he or a prince or an important general fights alongside us, we feel better and fight better, no?
Yes... but no...

Aragorn's departure certainly demoralised Éomer, but I don't think it had quite the same effect on the Rohirrim generally. For all that Aragorn was a hero (with Legolas and Gimli) at the Battle of Helm's Deep, besides the demoralising effect that *anyone* venturing down the Paths of the Dead would have, I don't think the Rohirrim looked to him for leadership that much. He was a hero and a bold figure, associated with their leaders... but he was not their leader.

That being said, if Théoden or Éomer had disappeared off down the Paths of the Dead, I doubt if the Rohirrim would have made it to Gondor... but they didn't. As for Aragorn, his own followers were the band that actually went with him down the Paths of the Dead... or else the people of Gondor who knew him not, and yet were saved by his actions. From a perspective of loyalty, Aragorn's first loyalty as a leader were to the Dúnedain, be they of Gondor or Arnor, and I think it's safe to say that even if the Rohirrim's will had broken (which it didn't, because Aragorn was not their leader) and they'd failed to march on Gondor, it was still more important that the Corsairs be routed by the dead. Granted, the Battle of the Pelennor may not have been as conclusive a victory if the City and the Men from southern Gondor had not been joined by the Rohirrim, but the city might well have been succoured.

The big problem then would have been that Gondor would not have had the army to march on Mordor, which was clearly essential to allowing Frodo to reach Mt. Doom... but perhaps, seeing Aragorn safe through the Paths of the Dead, the Rohirrim might have come into play. In any case, the immediate thing was that Minas Tirith and Gondor generally needed saving, and it could not have been done without the Dead, and Aragorn's loyalty was first to the Dúnedain.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Excellent point, Formy - Aragorn had a "cameo guest role" for the Rohirrim. Their morale in battle was certainly mainly dependent on their own king and his family as well as their leaders. When Théoden was killed in battle, Éomer took over without a hitch.

As Háma answered when Théoden asked: "In whom do my people trust?" - "In the House of Eorl."
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Marky Lazer
Haunting Spirit

I guess I have to reread the part, to be honest. Peter Jackson's view might have obscured the proper one...
Old 02-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #14
Marky Lazer
Haunting Spirit

Okay, I read some passages and I stay with my earlier point (which is good for the discussion anyway )

When Aragron mentions he'll take the Paths of the Dead in "The Passage of the Grey Company" it reads:

Quote:
We must ride our own road, and no longer in secret. For me the time of stealth has passed. I will ride east by the swiftest way, and I will take the Paths of the Dead.'
'The Paths of the Dead!' said Théoden, and trembled. 'Why do you speak of them?'
it seemed to Merry that the faces of the Riders that sat within hearing turned pale at the words.
'You will do as you will, my lord Aragorn,' said Théoden. 'It is your doom, maybe, and my strength is lessened by it[.]'
It seems to me Aragorn's decision is weakening the army as I said previously.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Shield

Quote:
It seems to me Aragorn's decision is weakening the army as I said previously.
I wouldn't call it weakening. 'Depriving of hope' would be more like it. When Theoden says "my strength is lessened by it", well, the army's size is reduced. The moral support, hope, or whatever else Aragorn might have taken away, is not such a big matter to the Rohirrim - as Formy and Esty said already.

As for everyone going pale, wouldn't you, if I told you I'm going to climb Mt. Everest and jump off the top? Aragorn's actions seemed just as suicidal to the Rohirrim, and they were shocked and afraid, possibly grieved that the army's strength is reduced. After all, Aragorn and the 30 rangers are quite a big "strenght".
Old 02-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #16
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

morwen edhelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Yeah, the army's size is reduced and they are in a desperate situation.
morwen edhelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
Marky Lazer
Haunting Spirit

I guess we can only agree to disagree.