The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #1
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Of the Sindar

This is the first draft of the chapter Of the Sindar

Our basis text is that of the Grey Annals given in HoME 11; page 9-16. Wherever the text is different from that this is marked by an editing mark.

The markings are:
OS-xx for any questions about the accuracy or canon aspect of the phrase or section.
OS-MT-xx for Main Text of the chapter constructed out of the pertinent Grey Annals entries.

Some conventions of my writing:
Normal Text is from the basic text that is mentioned above (when I change the basic-Text it will be mentioned)
Bold Text = source information, comments and remarks
{example} = text that should be deleted
[example] = normalised text, normally only used for general changes
<source example> = additions with source information
...... = This section of the paragraph is unchanged from the source.

Quote:
OS-01 OF THE SINDAR

OS-MT-01 <GA 1200-50 §18. In this time the power of Elwë and Melian reached over all Beleriand. Elu Thingol he was called in the tongue of his people, King Greymantle, and all the Elves of Beleriand from the mariners of Círdan to the wandering huntsmen of the Blue Mountains took him for lord. And they are called, therefore, the Sindar, the Grey Elves of starlit Beleriand. And albeit they were Moriquendi, under the lordship of Thingol and the teaching of Melian they became the fairest and the most wise and skillful of all the Elves of Middle-earth.>
OS-MT-02 <GA 1200 §17. It is not known to any among Elves or Men when Lúthien, only child of Elwë and Melian, came into the World, fairest of all the Children of Ilúvatar that were or shall be. But it is held that it was at the end of the first age of the Chaining of Melkor, when all the Earth had great peace and the glory of Valinor was at its noon, and though Middle-earth for the most {[}part{]} lay in the Sleep of Yavanna, in Beleriand under the power of Melian there was life and joy and the bright stars shone like silver fires. In the Forest of Neldoreth it is said that she was born and cradled under the stars of heaven, and the white flowers of niphredil came forth to greet her, as stars from the earth.>
OS-MT-03 <GA 1250 §19. In this year the Norn-folk came first over the mountains into Beleriand. This people the {Noldor after}[Sindar] named the Naugrim, whom some Men call Dwarves. Their most ancient dwellings were far to the East, but they had delved for themselves great halls and mansions, after the manner of their kind, on the east-side of {Eryd}[Ered] Luin, north ...... beasts and birds only.
§20. Nonetheless they could ....... welcomed by King Thingol.
§21. OS-02 How the Dwarves came into the world the Eldar know not for certain, though the loremasters have elsewhere recorded the tales of the Naugrim themselves (such as they would reveal) concerning their beginning. They say that Aulë the Maker, whom they call Mahal, brought them into being; and however that may be, certain it is that they were great smiths and masons, though of old there was little beauty in their works. Iron and copper they loved to work more than silver or gold, and stone more than wood.>

OS-MT-04 <GA 1300 Of the Building of Menegroth>

OS-MT-05 <GA 1300 §22. Now Melian had after the manner of the Maiar, the people of Valinor, much foresight. And when two of the ages of the Chaining of Melkor had passed, she counselled Thingol that the Peace of Arda would not last forever; and he therefore bethought him how he should make for himself a kingly dwelling, and a place that should be strong, if evil were to awake again in Middle-earth. He called therefore upon the {Enfeng, the Longbeards} [Dwarves] of Belegost, whom ......
Nimphelos it was named, and the chieftain of the {Enfeng}[Dwarves of Belegost] prized it above a mountain of wealth.
§23. Therefore, the Naugrim ....... named Menegroth, the Thousand Caves.
§24. But the Elves also had part in that labour, ...... That was the fairest dwelling of any king that hath ever been east of the Sea.>
OS-MT-06 <GA 1300-50 §25. After the building of Menegroth was achieved, there was peace in the realm of Thingol. The Naugrim ...... are flying from the plains to the hills.’>
OS-MT-07 <GA 1330 §26. And ere long (in the year 1330 according to the annals that were made in Doriath) the evil creatures came even to Beleriand, over passes in the mountains, or up from the south through the dark forests. Wolves there were, or creatures that walked in wolf-shapes, and other fell beings of shadow.
§27. Among these were the {Orkor}[Orcs] indeed, ...... all too near, it is said.
§28. Therefore Thingol bethought {[}him{]} of arms, ....... linked rings (which the {Enfeng}[Dwarves of Belegost] first contrived) their work had no rival.
§29. At this time therefore the Sindar ...... for the hauberks of the {Enfeng}[Dwarves] were so fashioned that they rusted not and shone ever as were they new-burnished. This proved well for Thingol in the time that was to come.>

OS-MT-08 <GA 1350 The Coming of Denethor

OS-MT-09 <GA 1350 §30. Now as is elsewhere recounted, one {Dan}[Lenwë] of the host of Olwë ..... wilderness of Eriador between {Eryd}[Ered] Luin and the far Mountains of Mist. ....... Therefore Denethor, the son of {Dan}[Lenwë], hearing .....
color of leaves; and they were called therefore the Green-elves.
§31 Of the long years of peace that followed after the coming of Denethor there is little tale; for though in this time {Dairon}[Daeron] the minstrel, it is said, who was the chief loremaster of the kingdom of Thingol, devised his Runes {[added later in margin:}[the] Cirth{]}[,] [Footnote: These, it is said, he contrived first ere the building of Menegroth, and after bettered them. The Naugrim, indeed, that came to Thingol learned the Runes of {Dairon}[Daeron], and were well-pleased with the device, esteeming {Dairon's}[Daeron’s] skill higher than did the Sindar, his own folk; and by the Naugrim {they [later >} the Cirth{]} were taken east over the mountains and passed into the knowledge of many peoples.] they were little used by the Sindar ....... and the beauty of Melian was as the noon, and the beauty of Lúthien was as the dawn in spring. In Beleriand King Thingol upon his throne was as the OS-03 {sons}[people] of the Valar, whose power is at rest, ....... they knew well that all evil things were fled far away.>
OS-MT-10 <GA 1495 §32 It came to pass at last that the end of Bliss was at hand, and the noontide of Valinor was drawing to its twilight. For as is known to all, being written elsewhere in lore and sung in many songs, {Melkor}[Morgoth] slew the Trees of the Valar with the aid of Ungoliantë, and escaped and came back to the north of Middle-earth. OS-04 {And hereafter he shall be known by that name that Fëanor gave him, the Dark Foe, Morgoth the Accursed.}
§33 Far to the North befell the strife of Morgoth and Ungoliantë; ..... the herald of death.
§34 Soon after, indeed, Ungoliantë fled ........ and there all waters were poisoned.
§35. Morgoth, however, came not himself to Beleriand, but went to the Iron Mountains, and there with the aid of his servants that came forth to meet him he OS-05 {delved anew}[rebuilt] his vast vaults and dungeons{. These the Noldor after named} of Angband: the Iron Prison; and above their gates Morgoth reared the vast and threefold peaks of Thangorodrim, and a great reek of dark smoke was ever wreathed about them.>
OS-MT-11 <GA 1497 §36. In this year Morgoth ..... far and yet all too near.
§37. Now the Orcs that had multiplied ....... in the east between {Celon and Gelion}[Limhir and Duin Daer], and west in the plains between Sirion and Narog, they plundered far and wide; and Thingol was cut off from Círdan at Eglarest.
§38. Therefore he called upon Denethor, ...... Mount Dolmed: few indeed returned to Angband.
§39 But the victory of the Elves ......... but kept themselves by wariness and secrecy. And many went north and entered the guarded realm of Thingol and were merged with his folk. OS-06
§40. And when Thingol ...... save in the walled havens of the Falas.>
OS-MT-12 <GA 1497 §41. But new tidings were at hand, which none in Middle-earth had foreseen, neither Morgoth in his pits nor Melian in Menegroth; for no news came out of Aman, whether by messenger, or by spirit, or by vision in dream, after the death of the Trees and the hiding of Valinor. In this same year of the Valar OS-07 {(but some seven years after in the later reckoning of time)} Fëanor came over Sea in the white ships of the Teleri, and landed in the Firth of Drengist, and there burned the ships at Losgar.>

OS-01: This title is used in the Published Silmarillion, but as this chapter was derived entirely from the Grey Annals, there is no corresponding Silmarillion chapter, and thus no name. I cannot find a different name, so I am going with Christopher's, unless anyone can think of a better one.
OS-MT-01: I moved this entry up because Christopher used it as the basis of the start of the chapter in the Sil77. It does a better job at introducing the chapter than the previous entry.
OS-MT-02: Moved here from above.
OS-MT-03: Next entry in sequence.
OS-02: This first part of the paragraph may need to be deleted due to the inclusion of the Of Aule and the Dwarves section earlier. However, I am not sure if the name Mahal occurs anywhere else, so it might be a shame to lose it.
OS-MT-04: This subheading is in the next entry.
OS-MT-05: Next in sequence
OS-MT-06: Next in sequence
OS-MT-07: Next in sequence
OS-MT-08: This subheading is in the next entry.
OS-MT-09: Next in sequence
OS-03: Change because of the loss of the sons of the Valar.
OS-MT-10: Next in sequence. By the way, is it Ungoliante or Ungoliant?
OS-04: We have been referring to him as Morgoth already, so I removed this part.
OS-05: Changed to fit the later concept of Angband as already existing.
OS-MT-11: next in sequence
OS-06: Tolkien here makes a note that something should be said of "Orgol and the Guest Elves of Arthorien" but does not provide much framework. I was unsure how to best insert something. Perhaps you could help?
OS-MT-12: next in sequence
OS-07: Removed because of the uncertainty of the time relation between Years of the Trees and Years of the Sun.

That is everything I saw. I am not sure how much posted will infringe on copyright, so I tried to keep it to a minimum.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
One short answer, because I found it just now:
It is Ungoliant since we find in thus in LotR.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Findegil
King's Writer

OS-MT-07.1: I think we have to eliminate the years counting at the beginning of OS-MT-07.
Quote:
OS-MT-07 <GA 1330 §26 And ere long OS-MT-07.1{(in the year 1330 according to the annals that were made in Doriath)} the evil creatures came even to Beleriand, over passes in the mountains, or up from the south through the dark forests. Wolves there were, or creatures that walked in wolf-shapes, and other fell beings of shadow.
OS-03: I think here we should keep Melkor and the retelling of the naming.

OS-MT-03.1: ‘In this year’ does not go, since we do not have the year number in front like in GA. Therefore I think we could use Christopher Tolkiens take at it.
OS.MT-03.2 As Of Dwarves and Men we learn that the dwarves of the Ered Luin awoke in the North of that Mountain chain not farther East.
Quote:
OS-MT-03 <GA 1250 §19 OS-MT-03.1{In this year}<Sil77 It came to pass during the second age of the captivity of Melkor that> the Norn-folk came first over the mountains into Beleriand. This people the {Noldor after}[Sindar] named the Naugrim, whom some Men call Dwarves. Their most ancient dwellings were OS-MT-03.2{far to the East}[in the North], but they had delved for themselves great halls and mansions, …
OS-MT-03.2: We already cannibalised Concerning the Dwarves. I in my opinion paragraph 6 belongs here, rather than when the Noldor meet the Dwarves.
Quote:
§20 Nonetheless they could understand no word of the tongue of the Naugrim, which to their ears was cumbrous and unlovely OS-MT-03.2{; and few ever of the Eldar have achieved the mastery of it}. <LQ; Concerning the Dwarves §6 The father-tongue of the Dwarves Aulë himself devised for them, and their languages have thus no kinship with those of the Quendi. The Dwarves do not gladly teach their tongue to those of alien race; and in use they have made it harsh and intricate, so that of those few whom they have received in full friendship fewer still have learned it well. But they themselves learn swiftly other tongues, and in converse they use as they may the speech of Elves and Men with whom they deal. Yet in secret they use their own speech only, and that (it is said) is slow to change; so that even their realms and houses that have been long and far sundered may to this day well understand one another. In ancient days the Naugrim dwelt in many mountains of Middle-earth, and there they met mortal Men (they say) long ere the Eldar knew them; whence it comes that of the tongues of the Easterlings many show kinship with Dwarf-speech rather than with the speeches of the Elves.[Footnote to the text: Thus the {Lammas}[Lhammas].]> {But}So the Dwarves were swift to learn (after a fashion), ...
OS-06: Yes, I think we should put parts of this Note in. The first much earlier at the end of §30:
Quote:
… In that region the forests in after days were tall and green, and the people of Denethor there dwelt warily and seldom seen, because of their raiment of the color of leaves; and they were called therefore the Green-elves. OS-MT-09.5 <GA, Note on the ‘Guets Elves’ {the}The Nandor had turned away, never seen the Sea or even Osse, and had become virtually Avari. They had also picked up various Avari before they came back west to Ossiriand.>
§31 Of the long years of peace …
At the place marked with OS-06 I would add:
Quote:
… And many went north and entered the guarded realm of Thingol and were merged with his folk. OS-06 <GA, Note on the ‘Guets Elves’ In the event they did not mingle happily with the Teleri of Doriath, and so dwelt mostly in the small land Eglamar, Arthorien under their own chief. Some of them were "darkhearted", though this did not necessarily appear, except under strain or provocation.{'} {'}The chief of the "Guest-elves", as they were called, was given a permanent place in Thingol's council.>
§40 And when Thingol came again to Menegroth …
OS-05: I would change that. It is the ‘year of the Valar’ that we have to avoid:
Quote:
or by spirit, or by vision in dream, after the death of the Trees and the hiding of Valinor. OS-05 {In this same year of the Valar (but some}Some seven years after (in the later reckoning of time) Fëanor came over Sea in the white ships of the Teleri, and landed in the Firth of Drengist, and there burned the ships at Losgar.>
Respectfully
Findegil
Old 09-18-2017, 12:09 AM   #4
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
OS-MT-07.1: Why must it be eliminated? It is not involved in the difficulties in relating the lengths of the Years of the Trees and the Years of the Sun, so I do not see the difficulty.

OS-03: Why? It is said in the Darkening of Valinor chapter that he will be referred to as Morgoth thenceforth.

OS-MT-03.2: This is in reference to all Dwarves though, not just the Blue Mountains ones. As Durin is the eldest, he did indeed awake further east, and his mansions are said to be in Gundabad.

OS-MT-3.2: agreed.

OS-06: Agreed.

OS-05 (07): agreed.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
Findegil
King's Writer

OS-MT-07.1: When we consider a change in the relation between Valian Year and Sun Year possibly occurred, then what would Tolkien have changed? The time that elapsed between the events recorded in the Annals or the dates of the Annals? Since we cannot say yeah or no we should act safely and skip such dates.

OS-03: Because what Tolkien did do here is exactly retelling the naming of Melkor as Morgoth. And I thought that in this case the change is unnecessary.

OS-MT-03.2: Since it is in reference to all Dwarves ‘east’ would only be true for a part of them in the new conception found in Of Dwarves and Men. In the old conception it is true for all Dwarves that their fathers awoke in the east. Therefore I think the only think that can be safely said about all the places of the awkening of the Dwarves is that they were in the north.

OS-MT-03.2: {; and few … : Sorry, I doubled the marker number! We will rename this change to OS-MT-03.5.

Respectfully
Findegil