The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #1
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Of the Founding of Nargothrond and Gondolin

This is the first draft of the chapter Of the Founding of Nargothrond and Gondolin.

Our basis text is that of the Later Quenta Silmarillion given in HoME 11; page 177-180. Wherever the text is different from that this is marked by an editing mark.

The markings are:
NG-EX-xx for tracking the changes from QS to LQ2 (I did not bother with LQ1) as well as additions from the Grey Annals.

Some conventions of my writing:
Normal Text is from the basic text that is mentioned above (when I change the basic-Text it will be mentioned)
Bold Text = source information, comments and remarks
{example} = text that should be deleted
[example] = normalised text, normally only used for general changes
<source example> = additions with source information
...... = This section of the paragraph is unchanged from the source.

In LQ2 there were several names that were corrected to their final forms in the text, and these I have not commented on, as it seemed needlessly cumbersome. The names I have not marked are:
Inglor > Finrod; Bladorion > Ard-galen; Gnomes > Noldor; Glomund > Glaurung; Nivrost > Nevrast; Finrod > Finarfin

Quote:
NG-EX-01 <LQ2 OF THE FOUNDING OF NARGOTHROND AND GONDOLIN>

§100. But on a time Turgon left Nevrast where he dwelt and went to visit Finrod his friend, and they journeyed southward along Sirion, ....... But unquiet was upon them ever after and doubt of what should befall, and they wandered often alone in NG-EX-02 <LQ1 {unexplored country}[untrodden lands]>, seeking far and wide for places of hidden strength; for it seemed to each that he was bidden to prepare for a day of evil, and to establish a retreat, lest Morgoth should burst from Angband and overthrow the armies of the North.
NG-EX-03 <LQ2 {§101. Thus it came to pass that Inglor found the deep gorge of Narog and the caves in its western side; and he built their a stronghold and armories after the fashion of the deep mansions of Menegroth. And he called this place Nargothrond, and made there his home with many of his folk; and the Gnomes of the North, at first in merriment, called him on this account Felagund, or Lord of Caverns, and that name he bore thereafter until his end. But Turgon went alone into hidden places, and by the guidance of Ulmo found the secret vale of Gondolin; and of this he said naught as yet, but returned to Nivrost and his folk.} And it came to pass that Finrod and {Galaðriel}[Galadriel] were on a time the guests of Thingol and Melian; for there was friendship between the lord of Doriath and the House of Finarfin that were his kin, and the princes of that house alone were suffered to pass the girdle of Melian. ...... And he called that place Nargothrond, and made there his home with many of his folk; and the Gnomes of the North, at first in jest, called him on this account Felagund, NG-EX-04 <LQ2 [Footnote: This was in fact a {Dwarfish}[Dwarvish] name; for Nargothrond was first made by the Dwarves, as is later recounted.]> or 'lord of caverns’, and that name he bore thereafter until his end. Yet Galadriel his sister dwelt never in Nargothrond, but remained in Doriath and received the love of Melian, and abode with her, and there learned great lore and wisdom concerning Middle-earth.> NG-EX-05 <LQ2 Now Turgon remembered rather the City set upon a Hill, Tirion the fair with its Tower and Tree, and he found not what he sought, and returned to Nevrast, and sat at peace in Vinyamar by the shore. There after three years Ulmo himself appeared to him, and bade him go forth again alone to the Vale of Sirion; and Turgon went forth and by the guidance of Ulmo he discovered the hidden vale of Tumladen in the encircling mountains, in the midst of which there was a hill of stone. Of this he spoke to none as yet, but returned to Nevrast, and there began in his secret counsels to devise the plan of a fair city NG-EX-06{[struck out} a memorial of Tirion upon Tuna for which his heart still yearned in exile[.]{, and though he pondered much in thought he]}>

NG-EX-07 <LQ2 Of the Dagor Aglareb>

§102. And even while Turgon and Felagund were wandering abroad, Morgoth seeing that many Noldor were dispersed over the land made trial of their strength and watchfulness. He shook the North with ...... for there is a gap in that region between the hills of {Maidros}[Maedhros] and the outliers of NG-EX-08 <LQ2 Ered Luin,> the Blue Mountains. But Fingolfin and {Maidros}[Maedhros] gathered ....... This was the NG-EX-09 <LQ2 {second}[third]> great battle of these wars and was named Dagor Aglareb, ....... , and set such watch upon Angband that Fingolfin boasted NG-EX-10 <GA 60 that (save by treason among themselves)> Morgoth could never again escape nor come upon them unawares.
§ 103. Yet the Noldor could not capture Angband, ....... When nearly a hundred years had run since the {Second}[Third] Battle, he sent forth an army ...... , and only part of the folk of Hithlum fought there.
§104. Again after a hundred years Glaurung, ...... . But they had not seen the last of Glaurung.
NG-EX-01: This heading was inserted as a separate chapter to LQ2.
NG-EX-02: change in LQ.
NG-EX-03: This paragraph was replaced with the following.
NG-EX-04: This footnote was inserted. I cannot remember if this is in fact 'later recounted.' Is this brought up at all in the Tale of Turin? The name Nulukkhizidun as well, was that used then?
NG-EX-05: This was inserted.
NG-EX-06: I have retained the most of the struck out note, simply because the sentence in the Grey Annals is nearly identical, and there is no replacement.
NG-EX-07: This subheading was inserted along with the chapter heading.
NG-EX-08: This was inserted.
NG-EX-09: This was changed in LQ2.
NG-EX-10: This was the only difference between the Grey Annals and QS account, so I added it.

This section was exceedingly straightforward. So much so, in fact, that I feel I must have missed some other source of information. If anyone knows of any additions they think appropriate please help me out lol.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I agree that this is a straight forward chapter. Nontheless I have a few remarks:

NG-EX-04: The name Nulukikhizidun is used in our Version in some form, but the story is not told in the way it should. The source I would recommend for this is HoMe 12; The Dwarvish origin of the name Felagund. And I think we have to incoperate it here in a way:
Quote:
And he called that place Nargothrond, and made there his home with many of his folk; and the {Gnomes}[Elves] of the North, at first in jest, called him on this account Felagund, NG-EX-04 <LQ2 [Footnote ot the text: This was in fact a {Dwarfish}[Dwarvish] name; for Nargothrond was first made by the Dwarves, as is NG-EX-04.1{later}[here after] recounted. NG-EX-04.2<HoMe 12; The Dwarvish origin of the name Felagund Felagund: Dwarvish NG-EX-04.3{v}[verb] felek hew rock, felak a tool like a broad-bladed chisel, or small axe-head without haft, for cutting stone; to use this tool. {v}[verb] gunud equivalent of Eldarin s-rot NG-EX-04.4{[Footnote to the text: [Elsewhere in these notes. For the stem rot, s-rot is given the meaning 'delve underground, excavate, tunnel', whence Quenya hrota 'dwelling underground, artificial cave or rockhewn hall', rotto 'a small grot or tunnel'.{]} gundu underground hall. felakgundu, felaggundu 'cave-hewer'. This name was given because of Finrod's skill in lighter stone-carving. He cut many of the adornments of the pillars and walls in Nargothrond. He was proud of the name. But it was often by others Eldarized into Felagon, as if it had the same ending (*-kano) as in Fingon, Turgon; and the first element was associated with Sindarin fael 'fair-minded, just, generous', Quenya faila (NG-EX-04.5{?} from {v }phaya 'spirit', adjectival formation meaning 'having a good fea, or a dominant fea').]> or 'lord of caverns’, and that name he bore thereafter until his end. NG-EX-04.6 < HoMe 12; The Dwarvish origin of the name Felagund The name Felagund was of Dwarvish origin. Finrod had help of Dwarves in extending the underground fortress of Nargothrond. It is supposed originally to have been a hall of the Petty-dwarves (NG-EX-04.7{Nibinnogs}[Noegyth Nibin]), but the Great Dwarves despised these, and had no compunction in ousting them NG-EX-04.8{ - hence Mîm's special hatred for the Elves -} especially for great reward. Finrod had brought more treasure out of Tuna than any of the other princes.
>Yet Galadriel his sister dwelt NG-EX-04.9{never}[not] in Nargothrond, but remained in Doriath and received the love of Melian, and abode with her, and there learned great lore and wisdom concerning Middle-earth.> NG-EX-05 <LQ2 Now Turgon remembered rather the City set upon a Hill, …
NG-EX-04.1: This has to be changed because we tell that story right after.

NG-EX-04.2: I added the linguistical part of this note into the footnote to the name.

NG-EX-04.3: I think we should extant Tolkiens short hand.

NG-EX-04.4: Since we are already in a footnote there is no way to put that as a note referring to a note, so we have to put it as a normal text of the footnote.

NG-EX-04.5: The ‘?’ seems to refer to the fact that phaya is not a verb. So I removed both.

NG-EX-04.6: Here I added the first part of the note, that has a more prose character.

NG-EX-04.7: A simple update of the name.

NG-EX-04.8: I think this forward reference has to go.

NG-EX-04.9: I think we discussed this in another thread. It is later told that Galadriel lifed for a time in Nargothrond, so here never is too broad in reference.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

These all look great! The last one about Galadriel never being in Nargothrond, I actually meant to change it, but in the process of compiling the draft it slipped my mind, thank you for catching it!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

In the Athrabeth and in the published Sil77, Finrod dwells in Minas Tirith until the Dagor Bragollach, when he removes to Nargothrond. Are we taking this as the final version? Or leaving it the way it is. I am inclined to leave it the way it is, since it makes more sense logistically for Finrod to make a whole city and then live there, as is said several times in the narrative.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Tyr
Newly Deceased

Tyr has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
NG-EX-04.3: I think we should extant Tolkiens short hand.

NG-EX-04.5: The ‘?’ seems to refer to the fact that phaya is not a verb. So I removed both.
Hi all; the v being interpreted as shorthand is actually the radical symbol √.
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

omg good catch Tyr!! Tolkien also used * as a root marker in later writings, so I'll change it to that.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
Findegil
King's Writer

Good catch Tyr! I worked only from a scan and never checked the original text. So we can either let the sign stand or change it to 'root'. So I am inclinde to let it stand in this footnote.

ArcusCalion, the * [asterix] form is not really the same as a √ (even so in an artificial language the difference is only a fancy of the author): a √ is found in the recorded past of a language while the * form is only reconstructed by the 'loremasters'.

Respectfully
Findegil
Old 12-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

Fin, this is true but in Q&E the form, for example, *KWENE is used for roots. In the Shibboleth notes on the sons of Feanor, the roots are simply capitalized, like PHIN. However, in Words, Phrases, and Passages, the roots are written with the radical, but the same roots are repeated in Q&E (a later document) with the asterisk, alongside reconstructed forms by loremasters also using an asterisk. Therefore it seems the published texts are inconsistent on the formation of these roots. We should standardize them. As you say, the asterisk is already used for the reconstructed forms, so perhaps we should go with the radical. If that is the case, then I think we need to standardize it across all documents, from the Shibboleth name notes to the Q&E material to the notes on PHAN and the Osanwe. In addition, in every other setting the roots are capitalized, so should we do that here with these two?
Old 12-09-2017, 05:30 PM   #9
Findegil
King's Writer

A standardisation is a good idea. And for me capitalisation is the better choice, since it would easiliy allow reconstrucetd roots by asterix and captalisation.

Respectfully
Findegil
Old 06-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

While scouring Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn for any more bits I could use, I found something in Appendix E that I figured we were lacking at the moment: the translation and etymology of Celeborn's name. Therefore, as this is his first appearance in the narrative, I figured we could add it in here as a footnote, like so:
Quote:
NG-EX-04.92<Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn In Doriath {she}Galadriel met Celeborn, NG-EX-04.93 <The Names of Galadriel and Celeborn [Footnote: {the}The ancient stem of the Elvish word for ‘silver’ was kyelep-, becoming celeb in Sindarin. {, telep-, telpe in Telerin, and tyelep-, tyelpe in Quenya. But in Quenya the form telpe became usual, through the influence of Telerin; for the Teleri prized silver above gold, and their skill as silversmiths was esteemed even by the Noldor. Thus Telperion was more commonly used than Tyelperion as the name of the White Tree of Valinor. (Alatáriel was also Telerin; its Quenya form was Altáriel.)
The name Celeborn when first devised was intended to mean "Silver Tree"; it was the name of the Tree of Tol Eressëa (The Silmarillion p.59). Celeborn's close kin had "tree-names" (p.244): Galadhon his fa¬ther, Galathil his brother, and Nimloth his niece, who bore the same name as the White Tree of Númenor. In my father's latest philological writings, however, the meaning "Silver Tree" was abandoned: the}The second element of Celeborn (as the name of a person) was derived from the ancient adjectival form ornā ‘uprising, tall,’ rather than from the related noun ornē ‘tree.’ (Ornê was originally applied to straighter and more slender trees such as birches, whereas stouter, more spreading trees such as oaks and beeches were called in the ancient language galada ‘great growth;’ but this distinction was not always observed in Quenya and disappeared in Sindarin, where all trees came to be called galadh, and orn fell out of common use, surviving only in verse and songs and in many names both of persons and of trees.)]> grandson of Elmo the brother of Thingol>
Old 06-02-2018, 06:04 PM   #11
Findegil
King's Writer

NG-EX-04.93: Agreed.

Respectfully
Findegil
Old 10-07-2018, 10:40 PM   #12
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post

- Celeborn in ‘Of the Founding of Nargothrond and Gondolin’:
Yes I think we should include this, so we might better use the original source texts for the edit:

... Finrod had help of Dwarves in extending the underground fortress of Nargothrond. It is supposed originally to have been a hall of the Petty-dwarves (NG-EX-04.7{Nibinnogs}[Noegyth Nibin]), but the Great Dwarves despised these, and had no compunction in ousting them NG-EX-04.8{ - hence Mîm's special hatred for the Elves -} especially for great reward. Finrod had brought more treasure out of Tuna than any of the other princes.
>Yet Galadriel his sister dwelt NG-EX-04.9{never}[not] in Nargothrond, but remained in Doriath and received the love of Melian, and abode with her, and there learned great lore and wisdom concerning Middle-earth.> NG-EX-04.92<Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn In Doriath {she}Galadriel met Celeborn, grandson of Elmo the brother of Thingol> NG-EX-04.95<Shiboleth , whom she wedded later in Beleriand.> NG-EX-04.97<Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn Elmo{ – a shadowy figure about whom nothing is told save that he} was the younger brother of Elwë (Thingol) and Olwë, and was {"}beloved of Elwë with whom he remained.{" (}Elmo's son was named Galadhon, and his sons were Celeborn and Galathil; Galathil was the father of Nimloth, who wedded Dior Thingol's Heir and was the mother of Elwing. By this genealogy Celeborn was a kinsman of Galadriel, the grand-daughter of Olwë of Alqualondë.
> NG-EX-05 <LQ2 Now Turgon remembered rather the City set upon a Hill, Tirion the fair with its Tower and Tree, and he found not what he sought, and returned to {Nivrost}[Nevrast], and sat at peace in Vinyamar by the shore. …

- Celeborn as kinsmen of Nimloth: This is already include under the editorial maker RD-EX-66

- Celeborn escaping the sack of Doriath: I think this we should tell in retrospective, as we do with the story of Galadriel leaving Beleriand before the end of the First Age.

Respectfully
Findegil
I am placing this here for Aiwendil's convenience and to keep all the proposed and agreed edits in one thread. This arose out of our discussion in the Galadriel and Celeborn thread about introducing Celeborn to the story where we discussed adding him in using CT's additions from the Sil77, and ultimately Fin proposed this, to which I agreed.

Last edited by ArcusCalion; 10-08-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #13
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

While reading through Beren and Lúthien, I came upon this footnote in the chapter The Return of Beren and Lúthien According to the Quenta Noldorinwa:
Quote:
A later version of the story concerning the Nauglamír told that it had been made by craftsmen of the Dwarves long before for Felagund, and that it was the sole treasure that Húrin brought from Nargothrond and gave to Thingol. The task that Thingol then set the Dwarves was to remake the Nauglamír and in it to set the Silmaril that was in his possession. This is the form of the story in the published Silmarillion.
This note has many many ramifications for the entire Ruin of Doriath text which the project has made, but setting it aside for the time being, in our present text, we have no mention of the Nauglamír until it is set upon the neck of Thingol already named. We must give some account of its origin, and although I am no expert in the texts, it would seem that the only two accounts are 1) the Lost Tales account, and 2) the mention in this footnote which was adopted in the Sil77. Therefore, since the version used in the Sil77 is the later of the two, I propose that even if we change nothing about the Ruin of Doriath text, we include the account of its making from the Sil77 here in this chapter. Like so:
Quote:
.... Finrod had brought more treasure out of Túna than any of the other princes.> NG-EX-04.85 <Sil77 And in that time was made for him the Nauglamír, the Necklace of the Dwarves, most renowned of their works in the Elder Days. It was a carcanet of gold, and set therein were gems uncounted from Valinor; but it had a power within it so that it rested lightly on its wearer as a strand of flax, and whatsoever neck it clasped it sat always with grace and loveliness.>
Yet Galadriel his sister ....
EDIT: Having discussed the note in the thread of the Ruin of Doriath with Aiwendil, we decided to keep the draft the same. So we don't need to do this change.

Last edited by ArcusCalion; 11-04-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 06:49 AM   #14
Findegil
King's Writer

Mîm’s dealing with Finrod

In the ‘new’ book The Nature of Middle-earth we find in Part Three: The World, its Lands, and its Inhabitants the chapter VII: The Founding of Nargothrond. The text that the editor Carl F. Hostetter provided is an extract of a text of JRR Tolkien dated to 1969. Hostetter has striped it ‘without indication’ of ‘many passages of primary linguistic and etymological matters’. As is to expected, this text has some influence on what we have edited so fare. Here is how I would combine it with our text:
Quote:
17 The Founding of Nargothrond and Gondolin
§100 But on a time Turgon left {Nivrost}[Nevrast] where he dwelt and went to visit {Inglor}[Finrod] his friend, and they journeyed southward along Sirion, … But unquiet was upon them ever after and doubt of what should befall, and they wandered often alone in NG-EX-02 <LQ1 {unexplored country}[untrodden lands]>, seeking far and wide for places of hidden strength; for it seemed to each that he was bidden to prepare for a day of evil, and to establish a retreat, lest Morgoth should burst from Angband and overthrow the armies of the North. NG-EX-02.5 <NoME, The Founding of Nagothrond Finrod was visited by dark forebodings – he was the wisest and most farseeing of the chieftains of the Noldor – that Morgoth was only biding his time, and would break and overwhelm the ring of besiegers. He therefore made great journeys, exploring the lands, especially in southern and western Beleriand.>
NG-EX-03 <LQ2 {§101 Thus it came to pass that Inglor found the deep gorge of Narog and the caves in its western side; and he built their a stronghold and armories after the fashion of the deep mansions of Menegroth. And he called this place Nargothrond, and made there his home with many of his folk; and the Gnomes of the North, at first in merriment, called him on this account Felagund, or Lord of Caverns, and that name he bore thereafter until his end. But Turgon went alone into hidden places, and by the guidance of Ulmo found the secret vale of Gondolin; and of this he said naught as yet, but returned to Nivrost and his folk.} And it came to pass that {Inglor}[Finrod] and Galadriel were on a time the guests of Thingol and Melian; for there was friendship between the lord of Doriath and the House of {Finrod}[Finarfin] that were his kin, and the princes of that house alone were suffered to pass the girdle of Melian. Then {Inglor}[Finrod] was filled with wonder at the strength and majesty of Menegroth, with its treasuries and armories and its many-pillared halls of stone; and it came into his heart that he would build wide halls behind everguarded gates in some deep and secret place beneath the hills. And he opened his heart to Thingol, and when he departed Thingol gave him guides, and they led him westward over Sirion. Thus it was that {Inglor}[Finrod] found the deep gorge of the River Narog NG-EX-03.1{, and the caves in its steep further shore;}<NoME, The Founding of Nagothrond {[The Sindarin stem] philig is mostly confined to specific places in the old tales of Beleriand. Its chief interest comes from its use in the “title” or by-name of King Finrod Felagund (said traditionally to have meant ‘den-dweller’ or specifically ‘brock, badger’).[Footnote to the text: This nick-name was probably actually given to Finrod not by the Dwarves but by the Sons of Fëanor at least partly in derision. There was no great love between the Sons of Fëanor and the children of Finarphin, though they hid their enmity at need. (As when Curufin and Caranthir dwelt in the shelter of Nargothrond after the defeat of the Elves by Morgoth in the North). Moreover the sons of Fëanor had much communication with the Dwarves of Nogord and Belegost.] This puzzeled the earlier loremasters since the ending -gund could not be interpreted from Eldarin. The Sindarin word fela could be derived from a stem phelga or philga. It was used of minor excavations made by wild animals as dens or lairs, and also as temporary dwellings by wandering folk, Dwarfish or Elvish; it was usually distinguished from lager caves of geological formation used and extended by stone-workers. It was thus naturally used of the “setts” of badgers (which seem to have existed in in great numbers in parts of Beleriand).}There were a number of{ such} fili (pl. of felaNG-EX-03.3{, < *felƺi < phelgai}<moved from above into a footnote [Footnote ot the text: The Sindarin word fela could be derived from a stem {phelga}PHELGA or {philga}PHILGA. It was used of minor excavations made by wild animals as dens or lairs, and also as temporary dwellings by wandering folk, Dwarfish or Elvish; it was usually distinguished from lager caves of geological formation used and extended by stone-workers. It was thus naturally used of the “setts” of badgers (which seem to have existed in in great numbers in parts of Beleriand).]>) on the west bank of the lower Narog river where it flowed along the feet of the great hills, “the hunters’Wold”. But they were made or at least long occupied by Dwarves, of the strange and sinister kind known as the Petty Dwarves NG-EX-04.7b<moved from below ({Nibinnogs}[Noegyth Nibin]): in origin, as was later known, descended from Dwarves banished for evil deeds from the great mansions of their kind.
{During the Sige of Angband, while Morogth was (or seemed to be) contained in his fortress by the Elvish armies and most of Beleriand had peace, Finrod was visited by dark forebodings – he was the wisest and most farseeing of the chieftains of the Noldor – that Morgoth was only biding his time, and would break and overwhelm the ring of besiegers. He therefore made great journeys, exploring the lands, especially in southern and western Beleriand.} It is told that when {he}Finrod came upon the Narog rushing down its steep course under the hills’ shadow, he resolved to make there a secret fortress and store-houses against evil days, if he could; but the river could not be crossed at that place, and in the far banks he saw the opening of many caves. The tale of his dealings with the Petty Dwarves who still lingered there, remnant of a once more numerous folk, is told elsewhere. But during the years of peace that still remained Finrod carried out his design, and established the great mansions that were latter called Nargothrond (< Narog + ost-rond), the cavernous halls beside the Narog. In his labour he had at first help from the Petty Dwarves and their feigned friendship; for which he rewarded them generously until Mîm their chieftain made an attempt to murder him in his slepp{ and was driven out into the wild}.NG-EX-04.6b < HoMe 12; The Dwarvish origin of the name Felagund But Finrod had help of {Dwarves in extending the underground fortress of Nargothrond. It is supposed originally to have been a hall of the Petty-dwarves (Nibinnogs), but }the Great Dwarves. These despised {these}the Petty Dwarves, and had no compunction in ousting them <moved from above into the wild>NG-EX-04.8b - hence Mîm's special hatred for the Elves - especially for great reward. Finrod had brought more treasure out of Tuna than any of the other princes.
>{ and he}Finrod delved there a stronghold and armories after the fashion of the mansions of Menegroth. And he called that place Nargothrond, and made there his home with many of his folk; and the {Gnomes}[Elves] of the North, at first in jest, called him on this account Felagund, NG-EX-04 <LQ2[Footnote ot the text: NG-EX-04.1 <NoME, The Founding of Nagothrond {[]The Sindarin stem{] philig} PHILIG is mostly confined to specific places in the old tales of Beleriand. Its chief interest comes from its use in the “title” or by-name of King Finrod Felagund (said traditionally to have meant ‘den-dweller’ or specifically ‘brock, badger’).{[Footnote to the text:} This nick-name was probably actually given to Finrod not by the Dwarves but by the Sons of Fëanor at least partly in derision. There was no great love between the Sons of Fëanor and the children of Finarphin, though they hid their enmity at need. (As when Curufin and Caranthir dwelt in the shelter of Nargothrond after the defeat of the Elves by Morgoth in the North). Moreover the sons of Fëanor had much communication with the Dwarves of Nogord and Belegost.{]} This puzzeled the earlier loremasters since the ending -gund could not be interpreted from Eldarin.> This was in fact a {Dwarfish}[Dwarvish] name{; for Nargothrond was first made by the Dwarves, as is later recounted}. NG-EX-04.2<HoMe 12; The Dwarvish origin of the name Felagund Felagund: Dwarvish NG-EX-04.3 {√felek}FELEK hew rock, felak a tool like a broad-bladed chisel, or small axe-head without haft, for cutting stone; to use this tool. {√gunud}GUNUD equivalent of Eldarin s-rot NG-EX-04.4{[Footnote to the text: [Elsewhere in these notes. For the stem {rot}[u]ROT[/b], s-rot is given the meaning 'delve underground, excavate, tunnel', whence Quenya hrota 'dwelling underground, artificial cave or rockhewn hall', rotto 'a small grot or tunnel'.{]} gundu underground hall. felakgundu, felaggundu 'cave-hewer'. This name was given because of Finrod's skill in lighter stone-carving. He cut many of the adornments of the pillars and walls in Nargothrond. He was proud of the name. But it was often by others Eldarized into Felagon, as if it had the same ending (*-kano) as in Fingon, Turgon; and the first element was associated with Sindarin fael 'fair-minded, just, generous', Quenya faila (NG-EX-04.5{?} from {√phaya}PHAYA 'spirit', adjectival formation meaning 'having a good fëa, or a dominant fëa').]> or 'lord of caverns’, and that name he bore thereafter until his end.
Quote:
[Pictures; no. 33; Nargothrond (I)]
Nargothrond
>Yet Galadriel his sister dwelt NG-EX-04.9{never}[not] in Nargothrond, …
Respectfully
Findegil