The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2003, 07:32 PM   #41
Curcuas

Tolkien

Can I join, I have been looking for a good way to debate the finer points of the chronology of middle earth for a while now.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:13 AM   #42
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Sorry for the delay in replying. You are of course welcome to join. Look over the threads marked with asterisks to get an idea of how we work and what we've done so far. If you're still interested, send either me or Lindil and private message and we'll give you the password to the private forum.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 05:13 PM   #43
Aireore

Silmaril

Hi everyone! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I've read the Silmarillion a few times and I agree with the fact that it should be revised a bit.

Some points in the story seem somewhat unclear, and it is a very slow read because some points can be confusing.

Personally I would like to know more about the voyage of Earendil and exactly how Elrond met Celebrían anyway. I mean, if she was in Lothlórien and he was in Imladris...?
Old 05-21-2003, 12:53 PM   #44
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Personally I would like to know more about the voyage of Earendil and exactly how Elrond met Celebrían anyway. I mean, if she was in Lothlórien and he was in Imladris...?
I don't think were here to revise things in the fashion I belive you are implying-we're not writing fan-fic, but revising the Published Silmarillionfrom where we see C.T has stumbled in the 'editing' such as Gil-Galads parentage, or re-writing things like the FoG, which were never revised by Tolkien.

You can find out about Elrond and Celebrian's meeting, in U.T and Earendil's voyage in BoLT 2.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 02:21 PM   #45
Smaug

The Eye

I don't think that any additions in the new Silmarilion should cntradict the old.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:56 AM   #46
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Where Are We?

As I've had a bit more free time lately, I thought I'd see if I could reinvigorate the project a bit. We've had another long dry spell (due, I'm afraid, in part to my own absence).

If anyone else is here,I think we can start to get organized on three points:

1. Ainulindale - what remains to be done? A cursory review of the thread seems to indicate that the only matter left to be settled was the 'Yavanna as a tree' sentence.

2. Fall of Gondolin - I recall that there were some points not resolved in section 3. We could (preferably) try to tie things up there or (if that proves too difficult) we could move on to parts 4 and 5 and come back to it later.

3. Valaquenta - We had started working on this. But it may be wiser to finish the Ainulindale before returning to it.

It would also be helpful if we could simply get an idea of how many people are still around, so please post just to let us know you're here even if you don't have anything else to say.

[ July 07, 2003: Message edited by: Aiwendil ]
Old 07-07-2003, 10:42 AM   #47
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting

Well Aiwendil, I can tell you that I'm still hanging around.
Quote:
1. Ainulindale - what remains to be done? A cursory review of the thread seems to indicate that the only matter left to be settled was the 'Yavanna as a tree' sentence.
This is correct, but I thought that that matter was settled, and we were going to use a footnote.
Quote:
2. Fall of Gondolin - I recall that there were some points not resolved in section 3. We could (preferably) try to tie things up there or (if that proves too difficult) we could move on to parts 4 and 5 and come back to it later.
I think that we should try to end part 3 first. Are you sure that parts 1 and 2 are done.
Quote:
3. Valaquenta - We had started working on this. But it may be wiser to finish the Ainulindale before returning to it.
The Valaquenta I think was almost done too. The thing was that after antoine's comments there were not too many replies.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:05 AM   #48
Aegnor

Pipe

Well this is my first post, so here goes...

I'm actually quite interested in the project. I've currently only read the Sil out of all the requirements (UT and HoME seem to be hard to come by where I live, plus I'm short on cash).

My main interest is actually in the Elvish language itself. I've spent countless hours reading and re-reading the linguistic information in the appendices in RotK and the Sil. Once, I actually tried to get the book of Tolkien's languages (unofficial I believe), but at that time too, I was short of cash.

Basically, I'm very motivated, and I can spend a lot of time doing the necessary research. If you tell me the name of a book that is necessary for my work, I will buy the copy immediately.

I believe that this undertaking is amazing, and anyway that I can help (or can help me in furthering my knowledge of Elvish) I will undertake with diligence.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:33 AM   #49
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After much delay, I'm posting here to show my interest in joining the project.

I'm not sure what else to add here - anyone who has been around the Books forum [where I've been promoted to moderator in the last month or two] for any length of time will be [at the least] moderately aware of my knowledge and understanding of this mass work of Prof. Tolkien's.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:16 AM   #50
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Sting

Hi.

It was really just by chance I stumbled over this forum (believe it or not). And I started reading the FAQ on the Revised Silmarillion Project. And then it crossed my mind, well it didn't cross, it was just there: This is a brilliant project, and I would love to be a part of it.

I have a problem though...

In the little country I live in with minimal of inhabitants, I can't seem to find HoME anywhere. I have read the Silm though, quite a few times. Not many, but I would gladly read it again, and again.

Anyway, please let me know..

PS, I am going away for about a week. (And I'll search for HoME in the beautiful country I am going too, I promise.)

*Nova* [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ July 09, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]
Old 07-09-2003, 11:02 AM   #51
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Aegnor
I believe that this undertaking is amazing, and anyway that I can help (or can help me in furthering my knowledge of Elvish) I will undertake with diligence.
Aegnor, you should read this thread: What is the Translatations from the Elvish Project?
We are not trying to translate the Silmarillion into Elvish, our aim to try and compile a more complete Silmarillion than the one that CT published in 77. Now having said that, I think that participating in it will increase your knowledge in Quenya and Sindarin.

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas
After much delay, I'm posting here to show my interest in joining the project.
Glad to have you aboard Legolas.

Quote:
Originally posted by Novnarwen
It was really just by chance I stumbled over this forum (believe it or not). And I started reading the FAQ on the Revised Silmarillion Project. And then it crossed my mind, well it didn't cross, it was just there: This is a brilliant project, and I would love to be a part of it.
Well, glad that you like it.

Since lindil and Aiwendil are the Proyect Coordinators, you will have to wait for either of them to pm you the password of the members only forum. Now I have to warn you that it is a lot of work. We have mostly finished the Ainulindalë, pending Aiwendil's approval of the Yavanna footnote, working on the Valaquenta and the Fall of Gondolin.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:05 PM   #52
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I am sure it's a lot of work, that's why I want to join... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

*Nova* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2003, 02:33 PM   #53
Aegnor

Sting

Quote:
Originally posted by Maédhros
Aegnor, you should read this thread: What is the Translatations from the Elvish Project?
We are not trying to translate the Silmarillion into Elvish, our aim to try and compile a more complete Silmarillion than the one that CT published in 77. Now having said that, I think that participating in it will increase your knowledge in Quenya and Sindarin.
I have both read that topic, and fully understand your goals. I just believe that a compehensive appendice of the Elvish language is extremely necessary. I believe that I could most definitely help with it.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:14 PM   #54
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Sting

Welcome to Aegnor, Legolas, and Novnarwen.

Aegnor and Novnarwen - while having a few of the HoMe books is necessary to really get a full understanding of the decisions going on here, it's certainly not a prerequisite for membership. Even if you've only read the '77, your comments and contributions can still be very valuable. Expect a bit of a steep learning curve at first. But I'm sure you're easily be able to pick up the important threads of discussion and follow them with no problem after a while. Still, I'd advise trying to get some of HoMe if at all possible. Of particular importance are X and XI. II was of prime importance to the Fall of Gondolin project, but we are nearing the completion of that now. Unfinished Tales would also be very helpful.

Aegnor - it's always good to have people knowledgeable in (or interested in learning about) the Elvish languages here; we come up against etymological problems fairly frequently. You may have found this site already, but Ardalambion is the best site for learning what there is to learn of Quenya and Sindarin. At the moment, it's probably better and more complete than any single book on the languages.

Anyone who's looked over the important threads and still wants to join (as I think all three of you have) can PM me and I will send you the password to the private forum. And don't be afraid to jump right into the threads here in the public forum.

Quote:
This is correct, but I thought that that matter was settled, and we were going to use a footnote.
I guess this was the general consensus, but of course we'll still need to finalize everything.

Quote:
I think that we should try to end part 3 first.
Agreed.

Quote:
I think that we should try to end part 3 first. Are you sure that parts 1 and 2 are done.
I'm fairly sure that no one had any other comments there, so we moved on. But we could always reopen them.

Quote:
The Valaquenta I think was almost done too. The thing was that after antoine's comments there were not too many replies.
Right. Well, I guess we'll just have to finalize that too.

I think we should wait perhaps just a bit longer and see whether anyone else is still around. Perhaps we should PM some of the others and let them know that we seem to be entering another active phase.

Edit: I should also add for the newcomers that in addition to the various Fall of Gondolin, Ainulindale, and Valaquenta threads, the old 'Principles' thread is worth looking at. It can be quite an exacting and convoluted discussion at times, but it really gets at the way the project is meant to work.

[ July 09, 2003: Message edited by: Aiwendil ]
Old 07-13-2003, 09:45 PM   #55
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I would also really love to join this project. I have extensive knowledge of the Silmarillion, and I have read most of the HoME series, (so far I have done Morgoth's Ring, The Lost Road, Lost Tales 1&2, Lays of Beleriand, and the War of the Jewels). I think that I could be of some service to this project, and I do know that it will require a lot of work, but I am willing to do it.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:13 PM   #56
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Silmaril

Welcome Finwe, may I advise that you familiarize yourself with the Valaquenta section of Morgoth's Ring, because that is the basic text that we are using in that part.
And of course, Unfinished Tales: Of Tuor and his coming to Gondolin, Book of Lost Tales II: The Fall of Gondolin,The Shaping of Middle-earth: The Quenta Appendix II: The Horns of Ylmir, and The Lays of Beleriand: Poems Early Abandoned: The Lay of the Fall of Gondolin for the Fall of Gondolin.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:48 PM   #57
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Ah, I really need to brush up on the Horns of Ylmir part. I haven't read that in a while.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:31 AM   #58
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Sting

Welcome to the project, Finwe.

I have received no PM from Aegnor, Legolas, or Novnarwen, but I will assume this was mere forgetfulness and that all three still want to join. So I will send the password to the private forum to Aegnor, Legolas, Novnarwen, and Finwe presently.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:33 PM   #59
theonering0

Sting

Greetings,

I wouldnt mind adding my name to the list of those working on this project, if I can be of some use. While I do not own HOME I do own UT, the Sil, Unfinished Tales, Lost Road, and Lost Tales #1.

I am also fairly accomplished with the tolkienian language Sindarin, though I doubt this will be of much service.

Aaron Shaw
Old 07-16-2003, 08:38 PM   #60
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Sting

Welcome to the project, theonering0. The important threads to familiarize yourself with are at this point the various Fall of Gondolin threads and the Ainulindale and Valaquenta threads. Or, if you wish, you could concentrate on just one of these areas. I'll send you the password to the private forum.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:40 AM   #61
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Tolkien

Fall of Gondolin separation:
lindil, Aiwendil, Antoine and other active members:

As I was trying to make some comments on the FOG part 3, I realized that while the changes had been well documented and marked, in the text of the Fall of Gondolin, I was not sure where part 3 started and ended, and not only part 3 but the other ones as well.
This is what I propose we do when dealing with FOG and other future projects (This was done with the Ainulindalë), that we number the paragraphs as CT does, i.e. QS.
What I essentially did was to begin part 3 with Tuor in Gondolin and end it with Maeglin's Treachery, when he returns to Gondolin.
To me at least, it helps me visualize it better.
I began with paragraph § 1, when Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin ends. I have applied the General Changes to it, and then I will apply the approved ones too.

P.S. I think that there are some General changes that need discussing too.
Old 07-19-2003, 03:44 AM   #62
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
I have received no PM from Aegnor, Legolas, or Novnarwen, but I will assume this was mere forgetfulness and that all three still want to join. So I will send the password to the private forum to Aegnor, Legolas, Novnarwen, and Finwe presently.
I am really sorry. I have been gone for a week, in England actually, and I hadn't computer access.

However, thank you for the password. I'll check the forum and the threads later today. I am very excited.

I tried to get all of the books requried. But I didn't find all of them. I got myself BoLT 1 and 2 though and UT... I'll start doing some 'non-stop' reading at once.

Thank you once again!

*Nova*
Old 07-19-2003, 07:04 AM   #63
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Welcome Novnarwen all new comers,

Remember that the FOG while not 're-stricted' is def not encouraged as the place to cut your TftE teeth. The Valaquenta is that suggested place. THe reason being that the FOG is so complex that even those of us who have chipped away at it's monumental complexity over the years are hard - pressed to keep track of it all ourselves, much less try and bring anyone up to speed! So if you are a newcomer, think Valaquenta!

----

Maedhros, the way I have always been able to tell where ti starts and ends is by accessing the FoG part 3 thread in this Forum, where I already chopped it up anmd started work.

Other than that I have no dividers in my mind [or anywhere else that I am aware of]. SO look for that FOG part 3 thread...
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:00 PM   #64
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Sting

I think that now would be a good time for the newcomers to jump in the discussions that we are having in the Valaquenta and the Fall of Gondolin.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:54 AM   #65
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Ah, was just reading through as I normally do [I seem to never have anything to post], when something caught my eye. The brief TOY that has been introduced looked thoroughly interesting to me. Will work be progressing on that? That's actually a project that catches my fancy, as it were.

And thanks for the tip, Maedhros.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 08:33 AM   #66
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Sting

That Tale of Years is, I believe, based on a Myths Transformed round earth cosmology. So it's of limited utility to this project. But if that's something you're interested in, why not work on a revised flat earth Tale of Years of your own? Or perhaps that would be a good side-project to have going on alongside the textual editing. Feel free to do a little research and start a new Tale of Years thread (or revive the old one).
Old 07-29-2003, 01:04 AM   #67
lindil

Sting

I will be offline for a couple of weeks [most likely] so all Admin/moderator matters in this forum should be sent to Aiwendil.

-Keep up the great work!
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:09 PM   #68
Lord Gothmog
Animated Skeleton

Lord Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am very interested in this project. I have been talking to Maédhros about it and would like to join you in the work.

Greetings and Felicitations from the Lord of Balrogs!
Lord Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 12:52 AM   #69
lindil

Sting

Have you made it through the Intro/FAQ thread [and all of it's accompanying links]?

You have read the Silm 2-3X's and UT once or twice?

If so pm Aiwendil or myself and we will hook you up Lord G.

-L
Old 08-28-2003, 05:44 AM   #70
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Okay at last I would like to sign up to the project.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 12:55 PM   #71
lindil

Sting

Sure thing Findegil.

Would you be so kind as to activate your Private Message link [ in 'my profile' section]. and I can send you the needed passwords.

Welcome aboard!!!

New one's comin as the old one's go. Everythings movin' here but much too slowly. A little bit sooner and we might have time, to say 'how do you do' before we're left behind.- Grateful Dead - "Cosmic Charley"
Old 09-17-2003, 12:25 PM   #72
AmiSelomna

Sting

Lindil, I would very much like to join your project. I've read both the UT and the Sil several times each, and I've been through most of HoME once. (I can't seem to find a place to buy my own copy.) I think I could be a help to you, at least somewhat. Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:17 PM   #73
Asa

Sting

Hey I would like to join the Silmerillion project. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2003, 03:04 PM   #74
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Sting

Welcome to both Undoriel and Asa. I'm glad you're interested in our project.

If you've looked over the "Introduction" thread and understand what the basis and goals of the project are, you can start contributing at any time. To get access to the private forum, you need to PM me and I'll send you the password.

Currently, our main project is a revision of the "Fall of Gondolin" from the Book of Lost Tales. This sub-project has been going on for quite a while and has left a long trail of intricate discussion behind it. If you're feeling especially brave, you can look over the Gondolin-related threads, especially: "A Project: Revising the Fall of Gondolin", "Mechanical Monsters at the Fall of Gondolin?", and "Rog - canonical Elvish or no?".

But if the length and complexity of those discussions are overwhelming, don't worry. You can also get involved in the Ainulindale/Valaquenta projects and the Ruin of Doriath project. The Ainulindale/Valaquenta stuff is theoretically an active project at this point, but of late is has been neglected in favor of the Gondolin material. The Ruin of Doriath project was begun recently but also put on hold until we finish the Fall of Gondolin.

By the way, you might also want to look at the locked "Principles" thread. The discussion there got a little intense, but it will give you a good idea of how we go about this work.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:27 AM   #75
Asa

Ring

I would PM you but your box is full. I have read everything and am ready to recieve the password. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2003, 06:50 AM   #76
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I am not a moderator, so I am not allowed to give anybody the password. But I can a sure any newmember that any discussion should go on here in the public forum. What you will find in the members only forum is only a addon - a small help, since you can read some texts as edited in full. But the changes are all here discussed. And you will find the newest version of our changes always here.

So, as long as you have no password, start reading here and when ever you have a question to ask or suggestion to make do it here in the public forum.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 10:07 AM   #77
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Sting

Change in Password Policy

Since it seems that a lot of new members join and then disappear pretty quickly, and since all of the important discussion takes place in the public forum, we've decided to alter the policy regarding giving out the password to the private forum.

Previously, anyone who expressed interest in the project was given the password. The new policy is that a member must become active in the project here on the public forum before being given access to the private forum.

Please note that this change amounts to very little. The private forum is as a rule only used for the posting of completed texts. All important discussion takes place here.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:40 AM   #78
lindil

Sting

The above emmendation has been inserted into the intro to the forum/FAQ thread.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:56 PM   #79
Asa

Boots

I am just wondering, but in which thread is the live discussion takeing place in this project currently?
Old 10-07-2003, 01:08 PM   #80
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Sting

The following threads may be considered "live" for FoG: Fall of Gondolin Part 3 Structure, Mechanical Monsters at the Fall of Gondolin, and Rog: Canonical Elvish or No?.

Also, the beginnings of the Ruin of Doriath project: Ruin of Doriath.

Those are the threads in which there has been recent discussion. But that certainly doesn't mean they're the only relevant threads or the only threads you're allowed to post in.