The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-17-2002, 11:04 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *TTT - Gandalf the White (Ian McKellan)*

Tell us what you think of Gandalf and the actor playing him!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 03:09 PM   #2
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Fantastic. He looks so royal and pure, and caring. Exactly like he is supposed to be.<P>"I come to you now at the turn of the tide."<P>Marvelous job, Mr. McKellan!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 03:23 PM   #3
Rose, the youngest
Pile O'Bones

Rose, the youngest has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rose, the youngest
Sting

May I echo you, TolkienGurl? Gandalf the White is perfect in this film!
Old 12-18-2002, 03:44 PM   #4
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

...and that's the funny thing about these films, it seems to me. Unlike many other adaptations, I do not have too many problems with <I>casting</I> per se, but now a multitude about <I>directing</I>. All the actors, especially the old school - McKellen, Blanchett, Holm, Lee - do superbly. Yet they ofetn feel misdirected, underplayed, undervalued. <P>Perhaps it is the fact that juxtaposed with their character observations are the showy bangs and crashes of special effects that producers demand audiences to want.<P>Take Elijah Wood, who is not inherently a poor actor. However, Frodo's part is horridly written for the screen, and his ineffectuality is not testament to the actor's skill, nor the original depth of the literary character. This leaves only the script-writers and director to blame for the myriad errors that other minds have discerned.<P>It seems despite the actors' and author's best efforts, certain elements of the production team are determined to remove any trace of the crucial elements of LOTR - character development and interaction, leading to exposition and growth.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:01 PM   #5
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

That pretty much sums up what I was thinking, yet I have not the grace to place my thoughts into words. Well said, Rimbaud!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 04:33 PM   #6
Massharpoon
Pile O'Bones

Massharpoon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I just wanted to say Sir Ian McKellan is amazing in his role of Gandalf. At least there was some positive in this movie.
Massharpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 11:23 PM   #7
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

McKellan is second to none - I <I>liked</I> the 'old', more 'human' Gandalf better, but that's another story.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 11:40 PM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

I have to disagree with you there, Rimbaud. While the direction of TTT was certainly not up to par with FotR (yes, yes, the sagging middle, that RotK will hopefully redeem), I cannot go as far as saying that "Frodo's part is horridly written," or that Ian McKellen's talent is somehow undermined by PJ's ineptitude. I think this is largely a matte of taste.<BR>*Ahem* Well, this is a Gandalf thread, and I must say that I was impressed. Ian McKellen gives me goosebumps (ha! So much for the pretty boys!), and his presence is commanding, powerful, enchanting, yet still somewhat down-to-earth. I can only hope that he will have more screen time in RotK; his impact here was somewhat muted by his lack of anything to say.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:35 AM   #9
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, was Gandalf in this movie?
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 12:38 AM   #10
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

Grrr, Birdie, you are always more concise!Perhaps you ought to teach a class?
Old 12-19-2002, 12:38 AM   #11
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Exactly, Birdland.<P>There was nothing wrong with Sir Ian, but either the writing or direction was really lacking so that you barely think about him at all when he's not actually right in the middle of the screen.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:41 AM   #12
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Wonderful, Birdie!! Yes, he actually was - don't tell me you missed Shadowfax' rearing-in-the-sunrise-western-style scene???
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:54 AM   #13
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Gandalf was great.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:25 PM   #14
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He was amazing!<P>Though I must echo you Mollecon, my friend. I liked the old "grandfather" Gandalf better. But we all know he couldn't stay that way. He's now a man on an urgent mission.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:30 PM   #15
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dūm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

He was great when I actually saw him, but I wish he spoke more. I would've liked to have seen more of Shadowfax too.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 06:30 PM   #16
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>don't tell me you missed Shadowfax' rearing-in-the-sunrise-western-style scene???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> Yessss, I caught that. And also the cavalry...I mean the Rohirrim arriving just in the nick of time.<P>Guess P.J. was a big fan of <I>Stage Coach</I>.<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:05 PM   #17
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Gandalf was superb, although I agree with Birdie and Lush in that he was not in the story as much as I would have liked. And Shadowfax... WHOA!!!! That horse is truly the lord of all horses. I would kill for a horse like that.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 08:18 AM   #18
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He sure was great but where was all the wise words and powerful talikng? HeE just rode around on that fancy ancient shadowfax killing orcs all the time.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:15 AM   #19
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf the White was Amazing . I too wish he was in more of the film, but everytime he was Sir Ian played him perfectly, he is such a wonderful actor.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:52 PM   #20
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

I loved Ian McKellen's performance. I didn't really notice a huge lack of him, and I don't know how some of you can be so pessimistic *coughBirdiecough* I loved it when he stood in front of Theoden and threw off his cloak. It was like hope, embodied. He was great!
Old 12-24-2002, 12:09 AM   #21
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I loved it when he revealed himself to Theoden as the "white" as well. I only wish his words had been what returned Theoden to himself rather than that B-movie exorcism. <P>Ian McKellan did a great job as Gandalf. I don't think the casting could have been better. He was just as I'd imagined Gandalf to be.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:11 PM   #22
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ian Mckellan was perfect. He was great as gandalf the white. I liked the way they used light to make it so the three hunters couldn't see him.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:20 PM   #23
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Gandalf was wonderful in this movie, though I do miss Gandalf the Grey. And I do hope Gandalf will get more of a part in ROTK then he did in this movie.<P>I did think it was a bit strange how he hit Theoden on the head. I almost did laugh, after I got over my shock. It's just something in my family... when someone gets hit in the head. The scene in Chicken Run where the rooster hits the hen on the head flashed by, so maybe that was it...<P>There's not very much to say about Gandalf, as he didn't get a big enough part in the movie, but I'll say what more I can.<P>I loved how they did the flashback scene to him fighting the Balrog, though it was more Frodo's dream then a flashback. Actually... all the same, it WAS a flashback. <P>His appearance as Gandalf the White was truly amazing and wonderful. I felt a little queer when he came back, as though I was actually in the movie and my joy could not be told. It was as though I hadn't known for seven years that he did come back.<P>I was a bit disappointed they didn't have his, "Get up, you Tomfool of a Took," scene, but maybe in the extended edition?<P>~Nurumaiel
Old 01-04-2003, 09:46 AM   #24
**sparkle fairy**
Pile O'Bones

**sparkle fairy** has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought sir Ian McKellen played a great gandalf the grey he really suited it. But i think he would of looked a bit better for gandalf the white if he had died the beard white aswell.<P>did you know he was going to play dumbledore in the next harry potter movie?
Old 01-04-2003, 09:55 AM   #25
Jedana

Sting

I think he is an incredible actor. That being said, I have a story (no sighing now! It's not that long!). My child and I were watching a special on tv about LoTR, and they were interviewing the actors. Up comes Ian, and my youngun' pops up "Mom, what is Magneto doing on the Lord of the Rings show?" /shakes head Too much Xmen I think...
Old 01-08-2003, 05:46 PM   #26
Elendur
Wight

Elendur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elendur
Sting

Ian is good. They couldnt have picked a better person to play Gandalf. <P>But I just wanted to say that I dont like how they made beard and hair shorter. When he comes back as Gandalf The White he is supposed to be more powerful and wise than he was before. And I think of a beard and long hair as a symbol of being old and wise (and even power). So why would they cut his beard and hair instead of leaving it or even making it a little longer?
Old 01-10-2003, 11:05 PM   #27
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dūm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree Ian himself is perfect as Gandalf. But yes I do agree, his onscreen presence was somewhat hurt by the poor script (Frodo especially!)<P>Costume crew was awesome as always though!<p>[ January 11, 2003: Message edited by: -Imrahil- ]
Old 01-11-2003, 11:07 AM   #28
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The first time I went to see TTT I didn't pay that much attention to Ian or Gandalf, because of the million other things that were crowding my mind at the moment. But on second time around I once again realized that Ian McKellan makes an absoluteley perfect Gandalf. The thing about his performance is, im my opinion, his voice. It has always the right amount of everything, from anger and authority to compassion and humour. Perfect, I tell you, perfect.<P>I agree with you, Rimbaud, that maybe some members of the cast (like Elijah Wood...) might've profited from a better script and direction. (I really liked PJ&co.'s work , but yes, some things could've been done better.)<BR>But I also agree with Lush. The actors Rimabaud mentioned were all wonderful, and I don't think their performances were in any ways wronged. (sorry for the poor choise of words, but you get my point)
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 03:50 PM   #29
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would agree that Gandalf the White wasn't as captivating as Gandalf the Grey. But maybe Peter Jackson did that on purpose. In the book, they do say that Gandalf was very changed after his Balrog/Death/Ressurection experience, and that he wasn't as close or "human" anymore.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 05:56 PM   #30
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Gandalf was amazing. Sir Ian McKellan was PERFECT for the part. I hope that he doesn't play Dumbeldore in the next Harry Potters. That'd be WAY too weird.<P>What about Glamdring? Did he get to keep Glamdring? Did his sword ever glow in either Fotr or TTT? Would an elven sword glow because of Uruk-Hais or only orcs?
Old 05-25-2003, 04:12 PM   #31
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Today, May 25th is Ian McKellen's (Gandalf) birthday! Sir Ian was born on May 25th 1939 in Lancashire, England, that makes him 64 today! Happy Birthday Ian!
Old 05-25-2003, 05:13 PM   #32
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Happy Birthday, Gandalf!<P>I was overwhelmed by Ian's performance, particularly the way he transgresses from wise man to warrior between the films. Beautiful acting, moved me to tears (a first, as I don't generally cry... in fact, I am crying now at the memory of crying at the film... if you remember "Forth Eorlingas": that's what makes me cry so much.)<P>Anyway... yes, well done Ian! I look forward to your performance in Rotk.<P>(I don't mean to go off-topic here, but I want to do this well before the film to make sure I get the chance: I would like to be the first person to post a topic on Denethor, ie. this sort, if thats okay with everyone else. I'm sure you'll all understand my plight You all know me by now...)
Old 01-18-2004, 11:41 AM   #33
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I saw ROTK for the 3rd time yesterday and I cried more than I have ever cried while watching it...<P>I particularly enjoyed Ian McKellen's performance this time around as many of Gandalf's facial expression touched me on a level they hadn't before - to say nothing of when he spoke, especially when he says "I've sent Frodo to his death." or when he tries to comforts Pippin by telling him that death is just another road we all must follow...<P>Bravo to Sir Ian and the entire LOTR cast!