The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2002, 10:57 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril *TTT - Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen)*

How did you like Aragorn's role and Viggo Mortensen's acting in this movie?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 08:59 PM   #2
Frwek
Pile O'Bones

Frwek has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Frwek Send a message via AIM to Frwek
Silmaril

i must say Viggo acting as Aragorn was superb...A great actor! lol..that is why i love LOF..all the actors and actress were fantastic!
Frwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 02:33 AM   #3
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Absolutely amazing. I love him to death!<P>You can really tell how much he loves Arwen, and he kicks some major Orc behind!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 12:13 AM   #4
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Viggo Mortensen rocked my world. Even my highly reserved mother has a crush, apparently (perhaps I ought to warn papá). He dominated the film with masculine grace- an action hero with soul, a sense of humour and destiny (heh, I'd like to see Bond pull <I>that one</I> off). Bravo.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:19 AM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

An amazing performance. And did he kick that Orc helmet or what? You know he broke his toe on that one.<P>Really stellar stuff, however he hasn't assumed the role of main character yet. See the last shot, where the camera mercilessly shifts left so not to include Aragorn. But wait a year...
Old 12-19-2002, 01:47 PM   #6
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought he was really good. I loved him in FotR, he's still just right.<P>What annoyed me a bit was the whole "Aragorn might be dead" bit, what was that about? I didn't see the need for it. We've had Gandalf apparently dying but then coming back, now Aragorn. It's going to start getting silly when Frodo does it too in RotK.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:51 PM   #7
Eldanuumea
Pile O'Bones

Eldanuumea has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eldanuumea
Tolkien

If it's possible, I thought Viggo was even better in the second film....he captures Aragorn perfectly.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:24 PM   #8
jaz

Silmaril

I agree with Elanor. The whole Aragorn might be dead thing was completely unnecessary. But Viggo's still got it. He did such a good job in this movie. I love him. I really, really do. Oh and the romance with Arwen is so heartbreaking. I hate Eowyn for liking him. I almost wanted to cry when she hugged him. I literally wanted to yell, "HE'S TAKEN YOU B****!!" But I didn't, 'cause I knew it would make everyone in the theatre mad. But I still maintain no one could have done a better job than Viggo as Aragorn. He should at least be nominated for an Oscar this year.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:51 PM   #9
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes, I also agree with Elanor, the whole thing where he is was suppossed to be dead was unnecessary, but Viggo did a great job with it!! <BR>I also didn't like how he tried to give the Evenstar back to Arwen, that was soooooo heartbreaking, I don't really see Aragorn doing that but it was alright I guess cuz I guess going through that just made his love for her stronger. But all the love scenes were just beautiful, it made me want to cry. <P>But anyway, Viggo is totally Aragorn, and he did more than a totally awesome job!!!!!!!!!! <BR>I LOVE ARAGORN TO DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Arwen Evenstar the Fair ]
Old 12-20-2002, 12:12 AM   #10
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I salute Viggo yet again for another stunning performance. He looks looks like Aragorn, he acts like Aragorn. He appears noble, and has a sorrowful, regretful air about him. This is perfect. He also seems quite weary from the increasing burdens he must bear.<P>He captured that from the books.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:19 AM   #11
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn/Viggo Mortensen is great! & I think there'll be a better explanation of this apparently unnessecary side-plot with Aragorn almost dying on the Ext version DVD when it comes out - seems to have something to do with a horse(!)
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 04:06 AM   #12
Schmendrick
Wight

Schmendrick has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Am I always the only one to disagree? Aragorn didn't convince me at all in this movie, I much prefered him in the first one. I didn't feel any power in him, any passion at all!He just felt tired, almost like wishing that he were somewhere else...
Old 12-20-2002, 03:44 PM   #13
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Being a big Viggo fan honestly did not sway my opinion of his portayal of Aragorn, I promise...<P>I think he did an admirable job of capturing the layers of character very well. From Ranger to King, Viggo has run the gamut of emotions, not to mention the fact that he can really fight! I appreciated the scenes with a bit of humor, too-- like when he and Gimli fight on the bridge and also when Gimli is commenting on the female dwarves. (I know it's a Gimli moment, but Aragorn allows himself to enjoy the moment and laugh before facing the dread task of defending Helm's Deep)<P>Bravo Viggo!
Old 12-20-2002, 03:49 PM   #14
Arod
Animated Skeleton

Arod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arod Send a message via Yahoo to Arod
Sting

I really liked him in this one. In the first one everyone was oohing and ahhing over Legolas' super smooth moves. Here we get to see more of what Aragorn himself is capable of in battle and what a bad a** he really is!
Old 12-20-2002, 08:11 PM   #15
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Sting

I love Viggo as Aragorn in Fellowship, and he did just as good in TTT. I'm especially happy that he still has his beard while he's doing all his interviews. He looks *much* better with it.<P>One bad thing, though: the way Aragorn encouraged (or at least didn't discourage) Eowyn. I think that they should've made it less of a 'love triangle,' as one of the cards says. From what I got in the book, he NEVER went for Eowyn.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:15 PM   #16
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And there was me, thinking you guys wouldn't like Viggo's Aragorn, because he has made the character more "human". (you know, more emotion, less "I am the king" stuff. Oh god, wasn't that a horrible comment.)Oh me of little faith. <BR>As in FotR, I enjoyed Aragorn hugely. I'm so proud of them for not getting a pretty-boy to play him, but instead an actor who may not look like Gorge Clooney but certainly does look like a king.<P>Aragorn's dead-scene: totally pointless, but nevermind. <BR>BtW, was I the only one feeling weird during Arwen&Aragorn's kiss? It somehow seemed odd. Maybe i just didn't think elves really touched each other at all...
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 04:51 PM   #17
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Did anyone notice a love-triangle in this film? Because I certainly didn't.<P>And Aragorn in this movie seriously looked like the hardest man alive.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:33 PM   #18
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Aragorn was perfect. I was very pleased that he didn't treat Eowyn like a silly, swooning schoolgirl. I feared that the sword-clashing scene would be twisted into one of those ridiculous love/hate relationships, but it certainly wasn't. I liked the way they regarded each other, almost like brother and sister.<p>[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: The Silver-shod Muse ]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 01:52 PM   #19
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

I completely agree. I remember watching that Aragorn/Eowyn sword bit in the trailer and thinking "I don't like where this is going..." but that scene was done very well.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:25 PM   #20
Estel the Descender
Haunting Spirit

Estel the Descender has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Estel the Descender
Sting

Before the LotR movie, I could remember Viggo only as the nasty sergeant in <I>GI Jane</I>. Very negative. . . <P>But now that I have watched the two LotR films I am SO glad that he did Aragorn. HE IS THE MAN!!! <P>I think Aragorn's near death experience was meant to provide a good explanation of how he got Roheryn from Arwen as well as provide a good plot device.<P>And I am VERY glad that Aragorn did not hit on Eowyn and that the movie provided a more believable way of how and why Eowyn fell in love with this coolest of cool characters. None of that clichéic 'love at first sight' thing (sorry Prof Tolkien! ). <P>And the guy speaks way cool Elvish!<P>Now everytime I hear Viggo's name, I remember Aragorn <I>first</I>, not that nasty <I>GI Jane</I> character.<P><I>Eglerio Viggo!!!</I>
Old 12-23-2002, 07:11 AM   #21
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

PERFECT. That´s all I can say. Purr-fect. <P>He´s a brilliant actor, pracrically the Aragorn incarnation we were all looking for... it was soo cool when he was coming in that room in Helms Deep... Oh GOD!!!!<BR>And the whole Battle scene, forget Sk8ter elf, please, this is WOAH!! <P>VIGGO/ARAGOREN RULZ MY WORLD!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2002, 11:28 PM   #22
Hawkeye
Pile O'Bones

Hawkeye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Viggo was perfect! Absolutely superb acting. I don't think there's anyone else in the world that could have done as good job. He completely became Aragorn! I never for one moment remembered that he was an actor, not the real thing... Yeah, I also wasn't sure what they were going to do with the swordfighting thing. I was pretty worried. but he handled it just fine. (I really love in FOTR how he starts out totally as Strider, the Ranger, and emerges to Aragorn, the future king.) <BR>Bravo!!!!!
Old 12-26-2002, 08:21 AM   #23
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think Viggo plays the dirty, scummy traveller Strider 100% perfect. I don't think he has the strong, confident Aragorn, Elessar of the House of Isildur blah blah blah at all, though. Mainly due to the script for Aragorn, which still has him as an unconfident, unimportant chump. With a grubby beard. Come on, the man has like a 6000 year old sword, one of the three hottest elves to ever walk the earth for a girlfriend, and he's the heir to two kingdoms! Surely he should be a little happier! What happened to "Will you aid me or thwart me, choose swiftly!"<P>The 'Aragorn is lost thing' could've been used as Gandalf's fall was, as a rebirth and honing of the character. To a small extent it was. I love the shot of him opening up the doors into the Hornburg. After he comes back we see the legendary fighter come out of him, when he and Gimli take on crazy amounts of Orcs. But maybe if the Elves hadn't been there he could have helped command the Rohirrim, and showed some leadership that way. I didn't think about the horse that kissed him being Roheryn, I just assumed it was Hasufel from Rohan. Interesting if it is Roheryn - means there'll probably be no Halbarad, or big banner, or ship to put the big banner on, or legions of dead men to attack the ships! Now you've got me worried.<P>Aragorn should be awesome in the third movie, though. I was fortunate enough to be an extra for 3 days, and we got to hear him filming a very stirring speech. They did it over and over, so by the time they finished I had it memorised, and ended up saying it around the flat for days after. It's good!<P>Viggo good, movie-Aragorn bad.
Old 12-26-2002, 12:10 PM   #24
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Viggo portrayed Aragorn wonderfully. He was perfect,phenomenal,superb! <BR>Viggo <I>IS</I> Aragorn.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:11 PM   #25
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

The horse that nuzzled Aragorn onto his back was Brego, Theodred's horse. I read that there is a earlier scene, (not in this version!) where Brego is wild and crazed after the death of Theodred. Aragorn tells them to set brego free, that no man will be able to ride him again. Soooo, Brego finds the near dead Aragorn and saves his life! I love the way Aragorn speaks. I adore him, but his reserved voice is my favorite part! Sigh!
Old 12-26-2002, 02:45 PM   #26
Hawkeye
Pile O'Bones

Hawkeye has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I remember the first time I saw Fellowship and Aragorn spoke for the first time; i almost stood up and cheered! His voice is absolutely perfect.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:15 PM   #27
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
umhmmmmm!! He's my wallpaper!
Old 12-26-2002, 05:41 PM   #28
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Just like all the other actors in the movies, he is wonderful. I love the way he portrays the charater, you could tell from the first scene in FOTR that Aragorn was keeping something hidden that is very important (yes, that he is the future king), and in TTT he just continues his wonderful acting. <BR>I personally did not think that the death scene was necessary but, it did not bother me much. <BR>For someone who did not even know who Viggo Mortensen was before I saw FOTR, he has amazing impact.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:12 PM   #29
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yup, Aragorn was great in the first movie. I want to see the Two Towers again before I fully make up mind about his role in this one, but he didn't do bad. I really do wish that they hadn't ruined his "aid me or thwart me" line, though. That was one of his best ones in the book and they sucked all the power out of it for the movie. Can't wait to see him in the extended TTT and the Return of the King!
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 04:27 PM   #30
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One feeling I got out form the two movies so far is Aragorn in the movie and Aragorn in the book are two diffrent person.<P>The Aragorn in the book is just perfect. He has everything a warrior, a captain and a king needs. He is heroic, brave, strong, wary, confident, determine...etc. And I abslutely adored him. But a flawless character is really not the best thing ever in a novel. Since Tolkien's novel is a old fashioned myth he got away with it. But still at times Aragorn seemed a little annoying due to his perfectionism. Sometimes he can be quite arragont. But still, he is one of the most deep character in the book. <P>In the movie Aragorn is quite diffrent. Now we have a human before us. Wisened by age, hardened by experience, swift and determined, but also sometimes uncertain and wearied by his burden. He feels more real now. HE is a hero and a leader, but he stumbles and makes mistakes like everyone else. In the book we feel Aragorn is merely waiting for a ripe time to claim his throne, but in the movie I just think he just chose exile for its sake.<P>I really can't tell which Aragorn I like better, they each suit the storyline. The book-version Aragorn is a mythical figure, glowing far away, the movie-version one is more flesh and blood. They are both very good. And I have to say Viggo played his role perfectly. You can tell he is a experienced actor through his every move.
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 04:28 AM   #31
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Viggo was great, did you SEE that bit when Elrond was telling him to let Arwen go?? I nearly died at the look on his face!!<BR>Anyways, here's a question, who was supposed to play Aragorn in the first place? Cuz I've been watching my extended DVD and PJ says that they casted the role too young and had to change to Viggo, so who was it before??
Old 12-29-2002, 12:24 PM   #32
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think they had originally cast Christian Bale as Aragorn.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 01:54 PM   #33
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The actor originally cast to play Aragorn was Stuart Townsend who was Lestat in "Queen of the Damned". They decided against him rather quickly into filming because he didn't have the right stuff (meaning...?? I presume maturity, guts, etc?) to play Aragorn. PJ thought of Viggo, called him, asked if he wanted to play Aragorn, he accepted (thank goodness!!!!!!!!!!) and was on a plane to NZ the next day or so.<P>A good choice I think!
Old 12-31-2002, 02:44 PM   #34
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Viggo is a great actor. The thing that I like the best is that he really got into the role of Aragorn. I don't understand why they had him "die" it just did not seem to add anything to the plot. Oh well.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:27 PM   #35
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), with 79.7% of votes won sexiest man of the year at Hollywood.com.<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1045842748" TARGET=_blank>More</A>
Old 02-22-2003, 02:06 PM   #36
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L!! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Viggo <I>is</I> Aragorn. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR>I totally agree with you, LadyElbereth. Viggo is GREAT!!! <p>[ March 22, 2003: Message edited by: Finnguala ]
Old 02-22-2003, 02:13 PM   #37
faenaduial

Silmaril

I think Viggo's portrail of Aragorn has been brilliant so far. He is the perfect Ranger and the love scenes with Arwen are terrific. His elvish is beautiful. It will be interesting to see how he develops the character as king in the next movie.<P>It's just a bonus that he is gorgeous!!
Old 02-22-2003, 02:27 PM   #38
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

Viggo is great!!!!!!! He is soooooo hot!!!!!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> He's my wallpaper! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Mine too!! And screensaver!!!<p>[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: Eressië Ailin ]
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 02:32 PM   #39
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
I can definitely see why he won sexiest man . . . <BR> I'm SO excited, I'm going to see him in person!!! In one week, 4 hours and 11 minutes!! <BR>I think he was the perfect Aragorn. He portrayed Aragorn exactly right, in my opinion. I didn't like the whole, "aragorn is dead" thing very much, it confused me. but oh well, he was still terrific! I say, "HURRAY FOR VIGGO!" <p>[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: Goldberry ]
Old 02-22-2003, 02:39 PM   #40
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm SO excited, I'm going to see him in person!!! In one week, 4 hours and 11 minutes!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>PLEASE send me an autograph!!!!!!!!
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote