The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2003, 01:56 AM   #1
Matthue45

Sting Who is more beutiful Eowyn or Arwen

I am just wondering which of the two movie actresses Liv Tyler and Miranda Otto play and look better in the Lord Of the Rings triolgy?
Old 02-03-2003, 03:00 AM   #2
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Miranda Otto, definetly. (P.S this should be in the movie section.)

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:12 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

This movie topic has been moved to the Movies forum.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 05:30 AM   #4
eleniwilwarin
Animated Skeleton

eleniwilwarin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think they are bouth very beautiful in their own ways so I dont think any of them is beautifuller than the other atleast i cant choose now...
Old 02-03-2003, 06:08 AM   #5
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Eowyn is definatly most beutiful. Arwen just has this coldness about her. And not to mention shes a horse thief
Old 02-03-2003, 09:12 AM   #6
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not is only Eowyn more beautiful, she is also the better character in both the movie and the book.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:17 AM   #7
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can't say I agree--Eowyn seems to me to be much colder than Arwen, because Eowyn is distraught about her King not allowing her to fight, and she misbehaves a fair bit in the book, and is experiencing doubt about Aragorn. Arwen is also in turmoil, but her love for Aragorn is what keeps her strong, because she knows that love is coming back at her from Aragorn. I think Eowyn is an awesome character though, I just feel that the presence of Arwen in the movies is much warmer, if you will, because she knows whats going on between her and Aragorn, although she does have questions about her own role like Eowyn.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:01 PM   #8
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'll take the pointy ears anyday.<P>Eowyn is a bit of a psycho if you ask me, not that there is anything wrong with that of course... if you like that kind of thing. Eowyn just has more to do in the book where as Arwen plays a role of a different nature, I think it's not worse or better. And Arwen is the more beautiful and better character in the movie, without doubt. <p>[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 12:58 PM   #9
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd have to say Arwen. First off, she is an elf so she should be more beautiful. Eowyn reminds me of a young girl and I don't take well to that. Arwen has more of a brave, warrior trait to her.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:45 PM   #10
King_Elessar
Haunting Spirit

King_Elessar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I prefer Arwen than Eowyn, I agree that Arwen has a coldness to her, but I think it makes her nicer, and she is beautiful. Eowyn is nice, but she has a bitterness in her, and she never seems to be happy, and I don't liek that, a lady like her should be happy, not pressed by the troubles of her King Theoden, and also the banishing of Eomer and the death of Theodred.<P>Bye, Elessar
I see in your eyes, the same fear, that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails. When we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day...we fight!
King_Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:02 PM   #11
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Shield

I, personally, also liked Arwen more than Eowyn in the move, though for different reasons. In the book, I didn't even hink about it because you just saw them as 2 totally seperate characters. In the movie- well, Miranda Otto seemed to be a pretty good actress, just Eowyn was much more a nice girl than a pale, cold princess-shieldmaiden. Liv Tyler as Arwen was, I thought, really good, though I really missed Glorfindel, and a lot of people talk about Xenarwen, who actually "dissappeared" in Two Towers. She had MUCH more of a part than in the books though. As a whole, Arwen was better.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:22 PM   #12
Deiagorn
Pile O'Bones

Deiagorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Deiagorn Send a message via AIM to Deiagorn
Sting

Eowyn all the way, she has more heart
Old 02-03-2003, 04:42 PM   #13
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Shield

Maybe, but Arwen seems more pure and true.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:19 PM   #14
Vardadurwen
Wight

Vardadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I'm with you all the way, Inderjit Sanghera! Eowyn is definitely more beautiful than Arwen. And it's not just because physically Mirando Otto is gorgeous whereas Liv Tyler simply is not; but that Mirando Otto portrayed Eowyn's character very well *near to perfect, in my mind*. Liv Tyler's acting leaves much to be desired, especially in this movie. She acts like she's acting...I feel as though she is never showing any emotion.<P>Also, I always liked Eowyn's character better than Arwen's. She seemed stronger and much more valiant. I can't exactly tell you all why I liked Eowyn so much more than Arwen, except that I just did. Maybe because she had such a bigger part than Arwen, I feel that I have more to work with there. Anyways, bottom line: Eowyn all the way!!

'Now there's an eye-opener and no mistake!' - Samwise Gamgee
Vardadurwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:28 PM   #15
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If you ask me, they are both exceptionally good-looking actresses, although I still like Arwen best! She's an elf, she's the future Queen of Gondor! Beat that.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:30 PM   #16
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the books, I think Arwen is definately better looking. And in the movies, I still think she's way better looking than Eowyn.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:38 PM   #17
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

I think they were both <I>well cast</I> - Miranda Otto was gorgeous as Eowyn (that scene with Grima is one of my favorites) and Liv Tyler has such a unique look to her - and it works.<P>I likesem bofe!
Old 02-03-2003, 07:47 PM   #18
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

i like elves so i would have said Arwen but Eowyn is soooo much cooler!DUH! Eowyn is also so much pretter. Aragorn should have gone for her and anyways Liv doesnt look good as an elf because she just doesnt.
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 07:53 PM   #19
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

But she always wanted to be an elf. That's the only reason she wanted to be in this nerdy movie. She wanted the pointy ears.<P>Iarwain
Old 02-03-2003, 08:04 PM   #20
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Nerdy movie?!" Mon Dieu!! (There, you made me use French... don't you feel terrible..) <P>Eowyn. Definately Eowyn. Liv Tyler was a good cast, but as a character (I'm not in the position to judge the ladies solely on their looks) I think Miranda Otto did the best job. In the BOOK, though, I hold with Arwen being the most fair. She was Luthien reborn, and no one can top that, even a fair and cold horsemaiden who can wield a sword (and not just as a rewrite). <P>-'Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 08:16 PM   #21
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eowyn is so much better, she is beautiful, and she has more charater. Arwen I have never really liked that much, she is ok though.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:55 PM   #22
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Arwen all the way, no doubt about it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2003, 10:46 PM   #23
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Eowyn.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 02:53 AM   #24
lanrete
Pile O'Bones

lanrete has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Liv looks better with her hair pulled back. She looks better in the 1st movie, imo. Miranda Otto is pretty but not that gorgeous. Outside the movies, Liv looks better.
lanrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:58 AM   #25
Baran
Haunting Spirit

Baran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Miranda Otto is by far the prettiest of them, she's hot! And I usualy like brunettes. Oh, her acting was better as well.
Baran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:48 AM   #26
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

They are both beautiful and perfect for the roles. Miranda smile is awesome, and her rugged beauty is perfect. Liv's dark and tall stature is beautiful, as well, I've always loved dark women.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:52 AM   #27
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

And on that whole Eowyn-sad thing, she kind of has a reason to be, her people are being slaughtered and she's made to sit pretty in some caves? I wanna see her dirty up in orc blood, now THAT would be hot...
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:31 PM   #28
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Definitely Arwen... even is she wasn't playing in LotR. Good old Liv!<P>greetings,<BR>lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:50 PM   #29
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

I don't think that you can really say who is more beautiful. It's in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I like dark-haired women more than blondes, but since Arwen has a role in the movies that she doesn't have in the books (and I don't like that role), I think I like Eowyn better, but in real life it would be Liv Tyler. (She's really cute on the Extended-Version-DVD.)<p>[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: Balin999 ]

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 03:26 PM   #30
Aredhelaran
Animated Skeleton

Aredhelaran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Balin999. It is opinion, like most things with beauty. I think i like Arwen more, but then sometimes I like Eowyn. Galadriel? No way, alhough in FR she looks kinda nice in the lace dress right before Frodo looks in the mirror.
Aredhelaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 08:41 PM   #31
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Any votes for Rosie Cotton?
Old 02-06-2003, 08:58 PM   #32
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This thread is only about Eowyn and Arwen, but now that I think about it Rosie was way better looking overall than either of them, Rosie Cotton Rocks!
Old 02-19-2003, 11:31 AM   #33
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Lady Iverin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think that both women are beautiful and great actresses. But, I'd have to meet them to answer the question. Has anybody thought about inner beauty? That counts too. It's hard to compare them, because they have comletely different roles and they have to look different too. Sometimes I like Eowyn more and sometimes I like Arwen more. It depends on what they're doing. You know? <BR>P.S. I think Rosie Cotton's cute, too!<BR> <p>[ February 19, 2003: Message edited by: Lady Iverin ]
Lady Iverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 12:55 PM   #34
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

eowyn<P>but arwen has her own beauty
Old 02-19-2003, 01:32 PM   #35
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Has anybody thought about inner beauty? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I totally agree, Lady Iverin!!! Both women are beautiful, but I think their personalities are far too different to compare. I personally prefer Eowyn because she seems more emotionally strong. Even though she likes Aragorn, she doesn't lie around all day dreaming about him. I don't mean to be against Arwen, she's cool too! It's just personal preference. I don't like how they portrayed Arwen in the movie. In the FotR, she saved the day and seemed strong. But in TTT, she seemed almost . . . weak. She didn't seem at all like the Arwen who saved Frodo's life! I think they could have done a better job with her character in the movies. She's still cool though. And I like Rose too.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:36 PM   #36
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Arwen is definetly prettier in the books and the movie.. but I have always liked Eowyn's character to...
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 01:39 PM   #37
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i agree, but arwen has a lot of strength to believe in hope and all that. plus, giving up your immortality indicates a lot of strength and belief in your love, etc.<BR>still, Eowyn had a lot of strength in many ways... it takes a lot to act... um... i dont know how to say it, and im sure people have already said it before... the whole Dernhelm issue... not conforming to the socially accepted role of the woman... thats what i mean...<P>(i havent properly read the posts on this thread, so sorry if im repeating you all)
Old 02-19-2003, 01:44 PM   #38
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dûm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Yeah i agree, Meela. I suppose they are just strong in two very different ways. Arwen seems more dependent; Eowyn seems very independent. I think they are two very different women, but both beautiful in their own ways.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:19 PM   #39
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the movie, I presume? Excuse me while I scream<P><B><I>Èowyn!</I></B><p>[ February 19, 2003: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 02-19-2003, 08:24 PM   #40
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Both are so beautiful but I guess I'm gonna have to say that in the movie Eowyn is prettier. Eowyn has this mood about her that makes me want to laugh when she laughs and cry when she cries, while Arwen doesn't laugh and hardly ever smiles (and if she does it's a sad smile). Arwen is so grave that he beauty doesn't shine as well as Eowyn's does. ACK! Does anyone get what I'm saying? or am I just rattling on? *sigh* oh well.