The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #2801
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I assign to Mordor the jet-lag that makes one's shaky daily rhythm into chaos...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #2802
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign rap musik. Die! Rot in Melkor and Sauron's dungens!!! AAAHHHHHH! the only good thing they can do :P
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #2803
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Cretins who drive with the bass from their subwoofers loud enough to rattle windows.

I'd like to blast them with Flame of Arnor and then feed the remains to Carcharoth.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #2804
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Oral Surgery.

All four wisdom teeth out.

OW.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #2805
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
It HAS been a bad week. Even for Downers...
Old 07-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #2806
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
All four wisdom teeth out.

OW.
*hugs you* I'm really hoping they knocked you out for it. I was blissfully incompetent (shut up) for nearly two days after I had mine removed.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #2807
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
*hugs you* I'm really hoping they knocked you out for it. I was blissfully incompetent (shut up) for nearly two days after I had mine removed.
Definitely knocked out.

And now eating pudding and drinking milkshakes, craving pizza or an apple or anything that needs chewing.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #2808
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

On behalf of Rune I assign to Mordor missing an international flight home and incurring extra costs.

Oh, and that little icon up there? It's a symbolic offer of beer.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #2809
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Oral Surgery.

It bears repeating, if only because accidentally ripping out stitches is even worse when it's in your mouth and you suddenly taste a lot of blood.

And you're in the car fast approaching a dirt road because you're escaping civilization for the night and you realize there's no tissues or gauze or anything in the car so you try to staunch the bleeding with a receipt from a grocery store as the person driving pulls over and tries to figure out how they can save you when they're not even sure what just happened except that you were happy and now you're freaking out.

Not... you know... that that happened last night or anything.

Also, house fires, and the scum of the earth that shows up after them offering you their 'services' for rebuilding.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #2810
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wow...I clicked on this thread for the first time in ages upon ages with my teeth in mind (hoping at least to read others' woes to make me feel better about myself or something)... I had all four of my wisdom teeth out on the 20th, and just today found out that I have developed a dry socket.

I am going out of my mind not being able to eat real food.

So, second everything Fea has said, though when I felt some stitches rip out I was lucky enough to not bleed out....but I got a dry socket instead, so...bleh.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #2811
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Poor thing! Everyone keeps telling me to avoid a dry socket, and for a while I was like, "Okay... um... so if I see one while I'm driving, I won't let it into my car..." because nobody explained what one actually is or how to avoid one. Then Mira looked it up for me earlier today, so now I feel super bad for you.

Barrowdowner Mouth Cripples unite! I discovered that if you get really good potato chips with lots of flavor (like baked salt and pepper flavored) and suck on them, it's almost like eating...

Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 PM   #2812
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ripping out oral surgery stitches.... Yeah, a real delight. Especially when it happens in your sleep, and you wake up at three in the morning with a mouthful of blood and a blood-soaked pillow and nightgown. Happened to me a long time ago, but the memory remains quite fresh.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #2813
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oh no Ibrin!

lol, Fea...and to think my mom bought some '5 layer mexican dip' or some such flavored pringles just before i had the surgery...perhaps they will have use after all!!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #2814
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
lol, Fea...and to think my mom bought some '5 layer mexican dip' or some such flavored pringles just before i had the surgery...perhaps they will have use after all!!
So guess which other 'Downer has a dry socket to deal with?

We should start a Mouth Cripples Club. Sauron could join... after all, he had to use some other guy as his Mouth, since his apparently quit working right ages ago.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #2815
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I had to look up what a dry socket was– sounds seriously nasty.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #2816
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Noooooo! Poor Fea, only one I hope....

I'm really not sure what the magic is behind avoiding a dry socket. Bleh.

I think I'm back to the oral surgeon tomorrow to get more medicine in (mine all came out this morning...) Woo.

If we lived closer to each other, we'd have to go out for whatever we've been craving most, after we're both finally through all this. XD
Old 08-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #2817
spirit_of_fire
Pile O'Bones

spirit_of_fire has just left Hobbiton.
My sister. Making a mistake once or twice is fine, twenty or thirty times just isn't on.
spirit_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #2818
Lastande Took
Animated Skeleton

Lastande Took has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

College applications.
Credit cards.
Stupid computers that need to end up in the shop every couple months and cost as nearly as much as a new computer to fix.
Writer's block.
Sithspit-awful fanfiction (Mary Sues and slash...shudder).
When every schedule at work says something different and you're just trying to figure out when the kriffing people are eating their lunch.
Buying a filmscore only to find that the track order on the CD is nowhere near what it was in the movie. ("Duel of the Fates" as track 2, anybody? That song isn't until the last 20 minutes of the movie, for crying out loud!)
Old 08-21-2010, 01:16 AM   #2819
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
After all the adventures in surgery and blood loss Downers have been having recently, I feel a bit pathetic making my own assignment of nose bleeds to Mordor, particularly as I've only been getting very trivial ones indeed– but still, so persistent! I had a cold for a few days three weeks ago, and it's been on ever since.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:53 AM   #2820
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
You certainly have my sympathy, Nerwen. Ever since the bloody gusher in May, every little spot of blood from the nose (which I get during allergy season from all the irritation) has me living in fear that I'll end up back in the ER.

I'll also add mosquitos to Mordor. One or more determined ones bit me five times on the same side of my body the other night, and as I'm allergic to anything insect (silk included), I have huge welts on my left arm, leg, and face. They hurt, they burn, they itch, and nothing short of ice packs and large doses of benedryl helps. I get to look forward to about a week of this. Hm, I think I'll assign allergies, too....
Old 08-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #2821
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
I think I'll assign allergies, too....

Yeah...
Old 08-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #2822
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
HTML code. I've been arguing with it for an hour trying to help someone fix their LJ.

Actually, right now, I think I'll assign LJ too.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #2823
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
HTML code. I've been arguing with it for an hour trying to help someone fix their LJ.

Actually, right now, I think I'll assign LJ too.
Poor LJ. What did it ever do to you? Other than eating your entries, destroying your HTML, being generally confusing, and being silly?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:10 PM   #2824
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Poor LJ. What did it ever do to you? Other than eating your entries, destroying your HTML, being generally confusing, and being silly?
YES.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #2825
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

When your body goes completely wonky in a very inconvenient and unwelcome way and you're informed by the professionals that you'll just have to wait it out because there's nothing that can be done.

And when they inform you this with a shrug.

Some day I'll be diagnosed with something treatable...
Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #2826
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Paying taxes to a government which does nothing but steal from the national coffers, and then send the most inept team of policemen and snipers to a crazy hostage drama involving a lot of tourists in a bus, several hours later. The story's still in CNN, I believe.

I assign my nation to the fiery chasms of Mordor and Angband as of this moment. I suppose even those from the First World feel this way every now and then though...

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:34 PM   #2827
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Poison ivy.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #2828
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

The Eye

The stupid, minor things that can spark a massive row with my mother.

The latest– I swear!– was over whether O'Neill's trilogy is entitled "Mourning Becomes Electra" or "Morning Becomes Electra".

*sigh* It's reached the stage where I'm simply not allowed to contradict her– even in a low-key way– on any point whatever. Especially if I turn out to be right.

The thing is, she's such a kind, lovely person in the normal way of things, and I know this is all due to pressure she's under at work– but all the same, it's making it downright nerve-wracking to talk to her at all.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #2829
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

That's the pits, especially when it's your mother. I had a friend once who would never admit to being wrong about anything, even when the evidence was plopped down in front of her. Best concession she would give is "maybe you're right" — NEVER "maybe I'm wrong." And she talked like she was an expert in absolutely everything (she wasn't). It's tough dealing with people like that, and you've got my sympathy. At least I only had to see this person once in a while. When it's your mother.... *shudder*
Old 09-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #2830
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
It's tough dealing with people like that, and you've got my sympathy. At least I only had to see this person once in a while. When it's your mother.... *shudder*
Well, as I said, she's not usually like this, at all. But when she is, it's pretty hard to deal with.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #2831
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Maths exams. They're the pits...
Actually, they're the pits of the seven Hells...
Old 10-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #2832
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
My Boss!

But probably he's in Mordor right now anyway, cooking his country's traditional food from the fires of Mount Doom. He should return to his country and work there if he doesn't want to follow our country's laws and holidays.

Legal Madness.

Last edited by Lindale; 10-18-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #2833
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Newspaper routes. I took 2 routes this summer to get some extra money, and it was the worst experience in my life so far - putting all the flyers together and then going back and forth on the street throwing them on every driveway (I was supposed to put them nicely on the doorstep, but I stopped caring for that very soon), and then rubbing my hands for five minutes straight before all the lead came off them....

I more than agree with those people who said rap and those people who call LOTR (or Tolkien) dumb without reading it.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #2834
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Three-hour-long rehearsals for my music department's Christmas concert...which no one is prepared for. Did I mention the first performance is two weeks away?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #2835
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Having to draw a to-scale-map of Toronto on a huge sheet of paper
Old 11-20-2010, 05:06 AM   #2836
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Trying desperately to get some work done...only to be interrupted by someone every two seconds.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:08 AM   #2837
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Having to draw a to-scale-map of Toronto on a huge sheet of paper
Ah. Painful. Almost as bad as calculating scores and putting them on graphs for a psycho project (and believe me, the scores are HARD. Everything needs to be reversed, and you have around three pages to refer to ).
Old 11-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #2838
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

The following, which happened last week:
  • A client refusing to pay me for a job he'd commissioned, not because it wasn't up to standard, but because he had decided in the meantime that the money would be "better spent" on other things. No, he's not being a jerk, at least not on purpose– the man just doesn't understand that you can't do that. (I regret to say that I've had this happen before with amateur artists and the like– sometimes, no matter what they agree to, they seem to view the whole transaction as a game )
  • The cat dying. She'd been poorly for a few days, and then I walked out on the back verandah and found her collapsed on the ground. I rushed her to the vet but he couldn't do anything. To tell the truth, she wasn't the nicest cat around, in fact rather a wicked little beast, but she was cute in her own way, and I'd got fond of her. I really miss her now. It seems to strange to pour milk, or cut a piece of cheese, without her damanding some, with a baleful yellow glare and the most threatening miaow possible...
  • Missing an important meeting, due to the aforementioned dying cat and to a certain party who couldn't be bothered arriving on time to give me a lift.
  • The computer dying. At least, it's currently in the electronic version of intensive care. I'm writing this on my father's machine.

Definitely one of those weeks. At least there was some good news at the end of it.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #2839
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Children that aren't supposed to exist. Life was already a living hell before...
Old 11-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #2840
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
[*]The cat dying. She'd been poorly for a few days, and then I walked out on the back verandah and found her collapsed on the ground. I rushed her to the vet but he couldn't do anything. To tell the truth, she wasn't the nicest cat around, in fact rather a wicked little beast, but she was cute in her own way, and I'd got fond of her. I really miss her now. It seems to strange to pour milk, or cut a piece of cheese, without her damanding some, with a baleful yellow glare and the most threatening miaow possible...
The death of a dear pet is always Mordor-worthy. My deepest sympathy, Nerwen! (My two toms send their condolences, too.)