The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2001, 03:02 PM   #1
Grey Fool
Animated Skeleton

Grey Fool has just left Hobbiton.
Ring The new Games Workshop miniature range - approve?

<BR>As an enthusiastic hoarder of all things 3-dimensional associated with Tolkien, the news of the forthcoming release of the GW LotR tabletop battle game and accompanying miniature range was music to my ears.<br> Personally, I can't wait for what is liable to be the definitive collection of miniatures to come out and I'm also really excited at the prospect of running some of my own tabletop battles set in Middle earth. This belies a certain need to control things rather to my own fancy I admit, but all the same I'm dead excited about Christmas this year, which I haven't been for a long time let me tell you. I wonder if anyone else is as sad as me and has as many sleepless nights as I do, thinking about colour codes for tiny armies and dreaming of the contents of the Bridge at Khazad-Dum boxed set? Does anyone think that it's just another pointless cash-in and wish there were no forthcoming movies to inspire such wonders? Does anyone else feel it's about time we had a decent ME-related tabletop<br> to put paid to some of the shameful RPGs that have cast gloomy shadows over our much-loved realms? Feel free to <br> laugh at me: it's about to become my life for the next few years. If you're interested to hear more go to:<br> <a href="mailto: www.games-workshop/lotr"> www.games-workshop/lotr</a> <p></p>
Grey Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2001, 03:10 PM   #2
Grey Fool
Animated Skeleton

Ring

<BR> Dud website address</b><br><br> Oops, sorry. I put the address in as an e-mail. Still getting the hang of these newfangled computer things...<br> The correct link is here:<br> <a href="http://www.games-workshop/lotr">www.games-workshop/lotr</a> <p></p>
Old 05-31-2001, 03:17 PM   #3
Grey Fool
Animated Skeleton

Ring

<BR> Faulty link</b><br><br> Sorry, I put the link in as an e-mail. Haven't quite got the hang of these newfangled machines yet...<br> <br> Here's the actual link:<br> <a href="http://www.games-workshop/lotr">www.games-workshop/lotr</a> <p></p>
Old 06-01-2001, 11:27 AM   #4
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

<BR> Re: Faulty link</b><br><br> These miniatures look awesome! I think your link coding is still deficient -- no offense. This one should do the trick: <a href="http://www.games-workshop.com/lotr/">LotR Miniatures</a><br> <br> Interestingly, even though there's a Bridge of Khazad-dum scenery set and various Moria beasties, there's no Balrog on the list! We <i> still</i> have to wait to see how everyone's favorite Maia will be portrayed. <br> <br> Sharku is the man you want to talk to about miniature wargaming. I wish I had the time and the friends to do a little tabletop action myself, but alas, I do not. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000005>Mister Underhill</A> at: 6/1/01 1:32:58 pm<br></i>
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2001, 12:40 PM   #5
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR> Re: Faulty link</b><br><br> Don't think you'll get away cheap with the GW game, though...<br> If they are to sell miniatures in blister packs as they usually do, that Nazgûl will cost at least $7, and a starting box (which they will release in a new version every year ) maybe up to $70.<br> <br> As for the quality of the miniatures, I think the two Gondorian soldiers are plastic miniatures, and the orcs probably two. This explains their relative lack of detail and motion, but in turn means that they are cheaper and easier to convert. The Nazgûl is definitely tin and shows how good designers the guys are. The way his cloak falls, and is wind-swept, is just, well, cool. <br> <br> Starting some months ago, GW began releasing scenery, such as graveyards, villages, fortresses, etc. The graveyard, for example, was well sculpted out of polystrene, and air-brushed which is simple, but very effective for stone surfaces. Such a solid 12&quot;x12&quot; diorama costs between $25 and $40. Middle-earth scenery may fit into that category, and will most probably be 'playable', i.e. have enough space to move the miniatures about.<br> <br> Painting will be interesting. While I am loath to paint whole armies, a handfull of assembled ME miniatures just asks for a brush, be it only the the main miniatures.<br> <br> GW already has a miniature (the 'Bloodthirster' demon) which is inspired by the Balrog of Moria: fiery blade (later an axe like Gothmog), many-thonged scourge etc., and wings. Maybe there will be no Balrog mini, as it is possible that it is too strong for the dynamics of the game.<br> <br> The game dynamics, as given in the preview, remind me of D&amp;D with miniatures (few minis acting in order of initiative). The advantage of this is, of course, that the specific values and qualities of the respective character can be represented better.<br> <br> All's vague for now, but I for my part see this as definitely the best LOTR-movie merchandise. <p>'To open the eternal worlds, to open the immortal eyes of man inwards, into the worlds of thought, into Eternity.'</p>
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2001, 05:04 PM   #6
Grey Fool
Animated Skeleton

Ring

<BR> materials etc.</b><br><br> Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear the minis are getting under some skin!<br> <br> However, on the subject of materials.............................<br> I doubt whether the Gondorian soldiers are plastic, as they're being sold in blister packs. Metal minis make more money as the old adage goes, so I don't think they're designed for cross- conversion; more likely there are separate packs for each type of soldier, to add to larger armies later on.<br> <br> What gives you the impression that the box sets contain scenery only? It looks to me like they are character scenes, to be collected as part of the same range but surplus to gaming requirements. Here's hoping! I know that Balrog of which you speak and I hope the new one's bigger and better and uglier. (I bought the Mithril one not so long back and that's nothing to cheer about either - although IT DOES HAVE WINGS!!! so it must be true )<br> <br> Keep em coming <p></p>