User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2005, 07:24 PM   #281
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

TomBrady12 has just left Hobbiton.
haha its good to know that Regin doesnt have a life....jk haha

anyway, i'm going to try to post tonight before i go to bed, i think it will need to be moved in front of Fea's post, im not 100% sure. As Soph said i wont be around starting tonight until probibly wednesday afternoon.

TB12
Old 04-30-2005, 06:46 PM   #282
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Regin: Just trying to stay in character.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:27 PM   #283
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey where is everybody?

Tom: I'd like like to go ahead with my next post. Please let me know when you are going to respond.

Thanks,

- Regin
Old 05-08-2005, 07:43 PM   #284
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm here.
Waiting for someone to post.
And tempted to get Mabalar freed
single handedly.

I suspect that school finals are the main culprit, Regin. Let's be patient for about a week, after which most students will be quite ready to break out of school and play with us.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #285
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

I'm here - just waiting for the plot to move along... It does seem like a few players have disappeared, though.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:04 PM   #286
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'm here! I promise. Real life dragged me kicking and screaming into responsibility. Like the student council meeting I should be paying attention to. I... will post soon. After I do this. And after I work on the graduation slide show. And after I do my homework, eat something, do my chores, and pick out something to completely change my cousin's look, much like she did to me today. See? Stupid real life...
Old 05-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #287
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
We're not writing a novel here, friends. Granted, we've set the bar high, but if it's so high that we're afraid to take a chance, what's the point? Let's get this going. Better to say "oops" after a post than "doggone it if only" after the rp is cancelled. I need some more action from you guys before Mabalar's next post. Let's do it.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:38 PM   #288
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I posted my group's first mishap, but I don't think that's what LMP meant, as my posting has very little to do with the direct story line.Can't wait to see what you guys have been cooking up all this time. Of course the delay was that you were all writing rather long and interesting posts...
Old 05-10-2005, 04:56 PM   #289
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

I'm sorry for being absent so long. No excuses, my apologies to everyone.

I've responded on the game thread, weather that post needs to be moved I'm not sure.

Again, sorry for the delay. I will be sure it doesnt happen again.

TB12
Old 05-10-2005, 10:41 PM   #290
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
White Tree

The same with for me.

Didn't mean to be gone so long, things converged rather more hectically than I thought they would.

I will try to get a post up tomorrow. It's really time to move the action along a little.

Again apologies.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 05-13-2005, 07:01 AM   #291
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Well, now that we're all done making up , let's get this story rolling! I put in a post in which:

- It's morning.
- It's sunny.
- The group is packing to leave the campsite.

And less important but still noteworthy:

- Abarzadan is having issues with animals.

I'm looking forward to getting to the city, where Abarzadan may or may not try to betray the company - naturally, something would go wrong, and he would end up back in cahoots with them, but we shall see...

Himaran
Old 05-13-2005, 09:45 AM   #292
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I guess I need to put some thought into the geography of Armenelos. If anybody knows anything, or knows where to look for it anywhere, please feel free to post info or links here. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2005, 10:44 AM   #293
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

About Armenelos . . .

Here are some thoughts on Armenelos, culled from Fonstad's "Atlas of Middle-earth" and from "Unfinished Tales" - 'A Description of Numenor':

Armenelos lies in the region of the island called The Mittalmar, and specifically in a smaller area of that region called 'Arandor' (Kingsland).

From the Atlas, the city appears to lie very near the southwestern foot of the Meneltarma, where the grass-covered base of that tall mountain slopes gently into the surrounding plain.

Tolkien describes the Mittalmar as "a region of grasslands and low downs, and few trees grew there . . . a region of pastures."

Near Armenelos along the crest of the southwestern ridge of the mountain's base, was the climbing road that led up to the summit of Meneltarma.

Between the southwestern and the southeastern ridges of the mountain's roots (the mountain's feet, by the way, are in the shape of a star, matching the shape of the Island), there is a shallow valley named Noirinan (Valley of the Tombs). At the head of the valley chambers were cut into the rock at the base of the mountain and the Kings and Queens of Numenor were buried there.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-14-2005 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:59 PM   #294
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

My save is filled in.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:30 AM   #295
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Thanks, Pio. That was most helpful.

Given the type of terrain around Armenelos, and the nature of the rescuing party, it seems to me that some things need to be considered before the approach to the city is written.

1. There is no cover to speak of, with low, grassy hills being the major feature, for do doubt a good two dozen miles in every direction.

2. The mountain, then the temple, respectivley, appear to dominate the scene.

3. The place will be crawling with King's men.

4. The Kariborim will stick out like seven sore thumbs.

All this taken into account, it seems to me that the rescuing party will have to go under cover of assumed identities, as did Frodo as Mr. Underhill. The horses cannot go into Armenelos, unless they are noised as "spoils of looting" the Faithful.

If the party goes in acting like bad guys with Kariborim as spoils, they could well be forced into many an awkward situation, and rest assured this player will write them into the story!

If, on the other hand, the part agrees to split in two, a couple remaining with the Kariborim in secret, while a chosen group sneaks into the city, an entirely different set of risks present themselves: what if they are found out? some captured?

So, this needs to be discussed by the rescue party members, I think. Any other options you can think of should come up in such a discussion as well.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-14-2005 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:53 PM   #296
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

We have an Armenelos contact, right? So there's always the all-together-too-simple way of meeting up at his place and going from there. But there's always the issue of GETTING there.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:56 PM   #297
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree Evening

LMP sums the position up nicely. I've read TB12's next post and I think that it will give the party a good opportunity to gather around and make some serious plans, rather than just plunging in.

Although, TB, on second thought, just for time economy, I think we ought to have one uneventful day travelling before your post. Could you edit it up so that it happens as we're making camp in the evening and not as we're leaving in the morning? I'm writing a post "covering the day" for Kathaani which makes the day go by quickly and uneventfully, although we're all growing more and more tense, waiting to hear from you before posting it.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 05-22-2005, 01:34 AM   #298
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Due to a number of RL situations/stressors, alaklondewen has decided she needs to withdraw from her games at the Barrow-Downs.

How would the remaining players of this game like to handle the situation. Hers was a cameo character - the underground contact in Armenelos.

~*~ Pio
Old 05-22-2005, 04:32 AM   #299
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The character description is available to us all, post # 12 (some day I'll have to figure out how to link to just one post!).

Anyway, since the descrip is there, I suggest that any of us willing and able to write the character should do so. Or, if a particular writer is required, I'm willing.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:09 AM   #300
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I recommend simply writing in the character where needed. If the group's plan is to head to the contact's place (before which I suggest losing the King's Men... perhaps split up and regroup?) then why not just carry the character along?

EDIT: LMP, you know the post number in the top right corner of each post? It's a link. Click it and it will open a new window with just that post in it. Create a hyperlink with that.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:17 PM   #301
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree

I think collectively handling Monoizindu would work out best as well, since I don't think the plot has any hope of working out without him.

LMP, could we get a very small mini bio of your friendly guard? And perhaps a short description of the way you see Tar Miriel's personality? I suspect the larger party will interact with at least the first and we'll want to know something about him.

I've filled in my save, so we've officially moved to the end of day two, at the end of day three we should be on the outskirts of Armenelos. I'd have filled it in earlier, except the people I live with are having a bit of a quarrel with their ISP so I haven't had service for most of a week. We're now with a different company, things should be reliable.

Sophia
Old 05-25-2005, 07:29 PM   #302
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I put up a post. Hope it's okay with everyone. I used Littlemanpoet's idea of using disguises and Pio's description of Noirinan. Let me know if there's anything I need to change.

- Regin
Old 05-26-2005, 07:38 AM   #303
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I've posted as well. Certainly sucks for the good guys when the King has smart and loyal men working for him...
Old 06-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #304
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

I posted, attempting to collaborate with TB12 and provide answers to Abarzadan's recent behavior (as mentioned in Regin's last post). Personally, I like Regin's idea, but perhaps there's another way...?
Old 06-02-2005, 07:38 AM   #305
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

I also like Regin's idea.

What if we were to split the group, with one half appearing to ride straight to Rommena, forsaking the mission to rescue Abar, and the other group continuing, seemingly unaware of the Kings Men following, to Armenelos. The kings men would assume half of the party had given up the idea of a rescue and were fleeing immediately to the ships. With all the attention of the KM on the other party riding straight to Abars rescue, perhaps the "fleeing" group would be able to sneak unhindered into the city from the east and mount a rescue, while the other group stalled and delayed the KM.

I like the idea of combining Regin's idea with a split group, what does eveyone else think?

*Sophia* Somehow I missed your note asking me to edit my post to the evening. Would you still like me to do this?

TB12
Old 06-02-2005, 09:32 AM   #306
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

traitor to faithful, or king's men?

Himaran, how about leaving it in doubt for now, and just playing both possibilities as alive? You never know how such things can help make the story interesting. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that even you not make a decision as to which way it is, so that when the truth comes out, it's a "surprise" to everyone, regardless of which way it is. Sound good?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:25 AM   #307
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

LMP-

Try not to get yourself sacraficed before we get there.

I would appreciate if someone responded vocally to my plan in some way. It would help move the story.

Thanks,

- Regin
Old 06-03-2005, 09:16 AM   #308
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Regin, in the absence of complaint or objection, I'd say go for it. In fact, put words in Marsilion's mouth if he doesn't post soon.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:28 PM   #309
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

I've written a post responding to Azarmano's plan. I'm running it by regin before posting, so make sure you check your messages Regin

TB12
Old 06-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #310
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Question

TB12-

I sent you a reply to your pm. Please check your pms.

Thanks,

- Regin
Old 06-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #311
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Sorry for not posting in a long time. (I've really been neglecting my duties to this RPG lately... ) I'll post as soon as I can once I see what the plan for rescuing Mabalar is. I plan on carrying out the rescue mission rather than try to make a dash for Romenna. (I'll be on a road trip from June 16 until somewhere around June 29, so I'll try to do the best I can before then)

Oh, and if somebody could please add a hunting knife to my bio (as I don't think I can edit it at this point since it's in piosenniel's post), that'd be good.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #312
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Menel

I added the hunting knife to your character bio.

~*~ Pio
Old 06-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #313
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I've just posted. Inzi's group can see Romenna, so I recommend hurrying. Just so it's common knowledge, I'm headed out of town for a few days, but I'll be back Tuesday night.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #314
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Put up a post for Azarmano. In it he lets everyone know in his lowdest voice about the split up. I would kindly request Meneltarmecil to edit the end of his post to not leave before I do, as it does not make sense. If anyone has any problems with my post and/or in game acting please let me know.

- Regin
Old 06-12-2005, 08:35 PM   #315
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I've edited it. And thanks for adding the hunting knife, Pio.

I'll see if I can't make at least one more post before I leave on my great adventure.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #316
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Meneltarmacil,
Thanks for your edit.

- Regin
Old 06-15-2005, 12:33 AM   #317
Scent of Simbelmynë

White Tree

Ach.

I write this (hastily) from a friend's house, had bring my laptop over and wait to use her internet until I wasn't blocking the phone line.

My ISP troubles which I thought were over, haven't been. I rent a room from friends, so I'm not really well filled in on what exactly went on. A while ago they told me the connection was back and would stay, now they're fighting again over a payment they may or may not have made. However, my friend has graciously offered me her connection during non-phone-use hours.

TB12 and Regin have cooked up a nice plan, I think. Better, certainly than what I would have thought of had I been there. It took me a while to read the new posts and catch up and my batteries are beginning to go, so I will have to write up Kathaani's thoughts on splitting the group tomorrow and buzz over here in the evening to put the post up.

Belatedly (as usual)
S.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:24 PM   #318
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

A Proposal

Dwindling numbers, I see. Well, thanks for being a part of the story at least for a while, Thoronmir/Meneltarmacil.

I do believe our 12 weeks are about up by now?

Okay, maybe it's the time of year, maybe there's something else going on. Either way, I have a proposal.

If there has been no post to the rpg game in any five day period, I will take it upon myself personally to move the plot along. That includes making other people's characters do things that I think up. If you don't like what I do with your character, protest and I fix.

The goal of the above proposal is twofold: (1) get the party and Mabalar together. (2) spark some much needed interest in this cool story.

Responses?
Old 06-15-2005, 06:27 PM   #319
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I'm up for it, LMP, but that's possibly because I have a character and part that have pretty much zilch need for interference. Inzi and Co. are settling nicely into Romenna, which gives you guys a remarkably short few "days". I recommend getting a move on, or there may be some serious issues with Elendil wanting to get his floating show on the road.

And come on guys, I'm sure Abarpa's getting nervous floating around in non-action waiting for Sauron to do something.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and what's the deal with Elendil? Is somebody covering what he says to keep it relatively canonical, or do I get free reign when daddy's little girl gets to see him?
Old 06-16-2005, 09:54 AM   #320
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

I'm a bit confused...

Are Abarzadan & Co. secretly entering Armenelos, or are they staying in Romenna?