The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2003, 07:16 PM   #121
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hey peoples! Somewhere on pg. 1 you were debating between 1st annual & Inaugural. I think it would be cool if we could try to make this an annual convention, too! In more than just my own US, of course! I don't know, I thought that it would be the coolest thing to have a convention. It would probably be implausible, though. Anyway, I LOVE the idea and will definetly be participating!! (Yay freshman year of college!)
Old 11-17-2003, 11:07 AM   #122
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Helin:
Quote:
*sniff* *single little tear*
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] A lovely Frodo impresssion, M'lady...

I also would love to see it become a yearly celebration, but am not sure how *official* we could make that, as it may not be as easy to organise something of that magnitude in each country across the world.

I am thinking of talking to some of the people at the theatre where I work, when the time comes. And perhaps we could use one, or more of the screens for it, but Arizona is pretty far from most of you I imagine... *hmmm..*

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:25 AM   #123
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If PJ could hear about it and agree that it's a good idea, I think it would be easier to persuade cinemas and stuff...because maybe New Line would do some marketing or something? I suspect the cinemas would take that a lot more seriously than a bunch of freaks like us... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2003, 04:32 PM   #124
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm sure that some of the cast & crew from LotR MUST read the barrowdowns. How could they not?

Wow... I finally understand what the advert in people's sigs means... I never new there was a thread. I'll have to bar my doors against my friends and make them pay to see the extended editions at my house. I'm the only one who's gonna own all three EEs! The others all own atleast one non-EE LotR, and I'm pretty sure they won't re-buy it for the EE... unless they are truly LotR freaks! Wait... that would be a good thing!

Elentari I, LotR Freak Extrodinaire, and a bad speller.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:46 AM   #125
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Elentari, I hope you know what you are doing, they require constant supervision (even though they are supposed to be supervising you) otherwise you'll never eat bacon again. Celebrimbror and I (yes, he was baring his teeth again, I actually ended uo writing 'They go to not run...' in an exam because of him, I also wrote 'And the Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in purest shimmering samite held aloft excalibur from the water, signifying that, by Divine Provenance, I, Athur was to be King. THAT is why I am your King!' when asked to define Divine Right *snort*) are currently trying to get a Mini-abyss for him.

Anyway, Back on Topic. I'm sure we'll find some way of publisising this. I'lll ring up my local radio station (91 ZM) nearer the date, and I'll put a note in the 'Paper. Most likely sometime next year.
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 05:52 AM   #126
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

Morgul Queen: that's so good an idea! I could try doing something like that too. So what are the main points one should know about Marathon (thinking about the adds we could make)?
Old 11-22-2003, 08:10 AM   #127
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Not very many points...basically get your friends around or something and watch the EEs on 20th October 2005...and then every year after that.

(I have my Balrog, he is called Bombur...I've been trying to tame him...at first he would go into a huff if you didn't say hello to him, or if you did he'd burn things up (like my geography coursework...oops). But now he only burns things up if you don't say hello...
But I must say, he does consume rather a lot of food for a mini-Balrog...)
Old 11-22-2003, 06:31 PM   #128
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Don't worry about Bombur, He'll calm down after you feed him for a bit...wait, you are feeding him RAW eggs, aren't you? Cooked ones make them cranky. Fangirls help too. *MQ attempts to grab a few fangirls off of Celebrimbror who then attempts to bite her hands off - see, people, action - reaction - but she grabs some anyway*

Here have some, fangiiiiiiiiiiiirls!!! *MQ runs as Celebrmbror chases her around the computer room*
Old 11-23-2003, 07:40 AM   #129
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Mini-Balrog posts are off-topic on this forum and may be deleted. If this thread is to continue, please stick to the original topic. Thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 08:24 AM   #130
middleearthguy
Newly Deceased

middleearthguy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to middleearthguy Send a message via AIM to middleearthguy
Sting

Greetings to one and all.

I arrive here after meeting Morgul Queen at TOR.net party for return of the ringers this evening.

I am very excited to hear of the planned celebrations for the coming 50th anniversary of the publishing of The Return of the King, and am looking forward to assisting in anyway possible.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:00 AM   #131
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

And a cute one he is too [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Perhaps I should start telling more people about this now - It'll help with the planning, and the Valar know we need some help with THAT, We're run dry already. Maybe the ZM Morning Crew will have some ideas, and I'll post the link to here on some of my yahoo!groups.

The Morgul Queen,
who recently got back from the RotK premiere and is bouncing over her sweet as photos, autographs and her RotR T-shirt. Do the Wave people!!! *waves*
Old 12-02-2003, 01:51 PM   #132
middleearthguy
Newly Deceased

Send a message via ICQ to middleearthguy Send a message via AIM to middleearthguy
Sting

So we need to figure out the basics who what why when how where etc

When is the Date Oct 20th 2005

Why is the 50th anniversary of RoTK

Who? who is going to attend?

Where? we will do this ?

What? What we will do there?

How? How will we organise things?

Ideas everyone? i'll post someof my own in the next day or so
Old 12-03-2003, 02:50 AM   #133
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Who: Basically all the Ringer friends you have
Where: At your house or whatever, unless by some stroke of amazing fortune we are able to get this at the cinema...
What: Watch the EEs back-to-back!
How we will organise it: I don't know, on this thread?
Old 12-03-2003, 11:34 AM   #134
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Most likely, we'll have to organize it here. I don't think that many of us can meet in RL, and actually plan it. This would be the easiest way.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:26 PM   #135
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Wow! This has turned into such a huge deal, I can hardly believe it! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks so much, Morgul Queen, and everyone else who's been working so hard to get the word out! I saw the article on TORn, and could hardly believe it. We're official!

Oh, and remember earlier, when we were discussing different ideas to make ent draught? I have an idea. Seeing that Tolkien described ent draught as just being water with a "savour" or different taste to it, I came up with this:

ENT DRAUGHT

~1 can white cranberry juice concentrate
~Water
~Sprite, or some similar lemon-lime soda

Prepare cranberry juice as directed on can. Add one extra can of water (this is based on preference; if you want it more watered down or more potent, change the amount of extra water added). Add half a cup of Sprite. Stir, and refrigerate. This is a less, ah, volatile version of the drink; you won't grow unless you drink it all in one go. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Abeditohn le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 12-04-2003, 01:10 PM   #136
middleearthguy
Newly Deceased

Sting

The ENT DRAUGHT idea sounds great, I will have to try making some of this up.

My basic idea was to see how many people would be interested in coming to Wellington NZ in Oct 2005 to help celebrate?
Old 12-05-2003, 04:04 PM   #137
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Welcome to the 'Downs, middleearthguy! Enjoy being dead. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

So if this does get turned into a big-deal, authentic LotR promotion, do you think we here on the thread will get free tickets, as we were the ones who started it? Just wondering...

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:20 PM December 19, 2003: Message edited by: Sapphire_Flame ]
Old 12-06-2003, 01:53 PM   #138
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Hey, Sapphire, that's a good idea! We would all have to prove that we were on this thread, though. But we could issue official badges or something and get in free! Maybe. If it turns into a really big event, such as sanctioned by PJ, showing in theaters, possibly with TORN involved and conventions and so forth, then we could all get in free (and be famous! Everyone start writing your speeches). But so far, it's free for all of us, since it'll be at our houses. Unless you count the cost of the DVDs and food, but that doesn't really count, does it? We'll all have the DVDs by them anyway (most likely).

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 05:19 PM   #139
Laitoste
Wight

Shield

I haven't really contributed much yet...I feel kind of bad, because I think this is an awesome idea and I really want to help! What can I do?

Oh, I was thinking that we could make t-shirts advertising for it. That would be pretty cool. (Yay fabric paint!)
Old 12-08-2003, 01:57 PM   #140
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Hey, yeah! Kewl idea, Laitoste! We should have *official* t-shirts or something. What kind of design do you think would work? Or maybe different ones depending on your "alligence": black/silver for Gondor, green/white for Rohan, black/red for Mordor, blue or green/silver for the Elves, green/yellow for the Shire... Anyone else have any ideas?

We should start a committee or something. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 12-09-2003, 05:07 PM   #141
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Hmm... perhaps one of us should try to come up with T-shirts or something, and then scan a photo of them. I really wish I could do that, but I don't seem to have enough time to do ANYTHING now, what with evil, tricksy midterms approaching, and my 79.6 in calculus.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:23 PM   #142
Laitoste
Wight

Shield

I was thinking, have something LOTR related on the front, then GOLDEN RING MARATHON, OCTOBER 20 2005 on the back. What to put on the front though...

My allegiance is to Rohan, or Rivendell, most definitely. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyway, I finally got to see TTT EE. I LOVED IT!!! (major understatemant, I know, but still...)
Old 12-10-2003, 02:21 PM   #143
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
Sting

Maybe a picture of The One Ring running (yes, the ring would have legs and red trainers) and below it the slogan: Golden Ring Marathon etc. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2003, 10:05 PM   #144
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Hmm... that is actually an interesting idea. We could change the color of the running One Ring's T-shirt based on the allegiance of the buyer. You could probably choose between dark blue (Elves), black (Gondor), green/white (Rohan), red (Sauron), and brown (Shire).
Old 12-13-2003, 01:53 AM   #145
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Wonderful ideas people!

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to E-mail Weta the stuff from this thread...with our nicks, of course, so they know who to assign tickets to, eh?!

BTB (By the By) I have tickets to RotK....at the Embassy. I'm going on the 23rd, yay me!

But now I have a dilemma...will my T-Shirt be Black, or Red? Hmmm...
Old 12-13-2003, 05:24 AM   #146
Mischievous Candle

Sting

I would go for the black one.
(btw I have tickets too. I'm going on the 20th [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

I't would be so cool if Weta got interested in this Golden Ring Marathon thing!
Old 12-13-2003, 01:36 PM   #147
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I've got tickets for the 17th! Go me! I think I'd take a dark blue one, because even though I love hobbitses, I like blue better than brown.

So is Weta seriously interested? Becasue I know you say that Richard Taylor seemed interested, but do you think he'll tell PJ and all of that? I'm looking forward to getting my free ticket. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Now, what else could we do, in the meanwhile? Perhaps someone could advertise it at their school, if the school has a newspaper or a bulletin board or something?

Old 12-13-2003, 02:30 PM   #148
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I think WETA would probably be seriously interested in this. Just read some of the ideas that some people have had on this thread. They are rather excellent marketing devices (i.e. running One Ring T-shirts, matching memorabilia, etc.). If they used our ideas (and gave credit to us of course! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) they could probably make a LOT of money.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:53 PM   #149
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry if this is totally random, but I don't have time to read over this whole thread.
Thing is, it would be possible for me to get one independant cinema to participate for definate, another independant that would think about it, and the UGC who I can talk to. And as the UGC is a chain, it'd go over the whole country.
This might be totally not what you had in mind, but am willing to go meet with them if it's at all useful.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:19 PM   #150
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Lossentilien, that would be great, as far as I'm concerned. At this point we seem to want any publicity we can get, until we have our feet firmly on the ground and a solid foundation of support beneath them.

Old 12-13-2003, 03:27 PM   #151
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Is there any way of contacting the main Cinemark company? Nearly every city in the US has a Cinemark theater, and if either we or WETA manage to reach the main company, who, in turn tell all their theaters, it would save us a LOT of trouble.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:55 PM   #152
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Big cinemas will be harder to convince unless you happen to have a contact directly- or through someone else. If you want to contact a major cinema but don't know anyone there it would be best to write up a proposal saying what the idea is and why it'd be great for the cinema to run.
But if WETA did agree they'd have a lot more influence over it.
I'll find out a bit more for y'all and post it when I can.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:14 PM   #153
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

I have a friend who just started working at Hoyts, so I could ask her to get me an interview with her Boss. If we got them that would secure us in New Zealand and Australia. I'll try the Embassy too, if I can.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:47 AM   #154
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I have a friend who has a cousin who works at one of the cinemas in my area, so I might run the idea past my friend, to pass on to his cousin. I think it's worth a shot.

I think if we all search for people we know who work at the movies or in places affiliated with cinemas, we might be able to get our ideas across.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:38 PM   #155
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

Quote:
I hope you don't mind but I'm going to E-mail Weta the stuff from this thread...with our nicks, of course, so they know who to assign tickets to, eh?!
Right on, Morgul Queen! It's really awesome of you to be working all this out; hannon le!!!

I love the t-shirt ideas, you guys. But should I get black, red, or brown? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Anyway, who will be designing the Running Ring for the t's? I'd like to see what you all have in mind.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 12-16-2003, 03:25 AM   #156
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

I could doodle a pic of a running One Ring in my spare time, heck, I've finished college for the year, I have all the time I need. Have to find a scanner though, and when I do, I'll send you lot the premiere pics, 'K? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

BTW, if you're allied to Morgoth, what color T-shirt do you get? Urple?

Oh, and everyone, meet Eridor. He's just arrived. Say 'Hi!' Eridor! *Eridor cracks whip and snarls* That's my Mini *huggles Eridor...and Celebrimbror too, don't want him to feel leftout*

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 4:29 AM December 16, 2003: Message edited by: Morgul Queen ]
Old 12-17-2003, 01:52 AM   #157
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

We have One Ring Doodle, he's vewy cuute.

Now I need a scanner.

Manwe help me, this is starting to sound like something out of Monty Python; Morgul, Dizzy, and the Quest for the One Scanner; Watch Morgul Queen and Dizzy Brunette as they run around Wellington trying to find someone who actually has a Scanner. But first they must survive such perils as; lack of caffeine, no internet time, AND the upcoming distraction of Christmas!!

Wait, scratch Python, this is Sheep in the Big City!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

*turns up the Rammstein music*
Old 12-17-2003, 09:26 AM   #158
middleearthguy
Newly Deceased

Sting

I have a scanner, fear not brave lady!

Sometime between now and the 23rd we shall produce an image for you.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:59 PM   #159
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dūm

WOO HOO! (C Celeborn)We have Scanner.

Thanks 'Guy! So we'll get the logo-type-thing up in a few days...oh, and 'Guy, we need to get several of my premeire pics up too, especially the one of our Aragorn figurine on the Red Carpet (yes, we stuck the doll on the carpet and took photos [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] FUN!!).
Old 12-18-2003, 12:01 PM   #160
Mischievous Candle

Sting

Hey, so great that we have dedicated and active persons here!!

Can't wate to see that pic. I could have doodled something myself but there's no hope I would find a scanner [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]