The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Weres of Eire: Game Thread

Prologue:

The wind whistled, the land convulsed, the hearthfires turned interesting colors, and the waves crashed. Ireland was awakening.

Day. Night. Day. Night. Day. Night. Creatures of myth and legend, humans, everything came together in an instant.

The awakening of the land brought power. Power that some worshipped, some feared, and some attempted to harness for their own game. At the center of it all, there lay a camp. People resided there. People...

and not-people. There were those from the mists of Ireland's past that saw the awakening time as a chance to reclaim what they believed to be rightfully theirs, at any cost. There were humans as well, of course; by this time, there was nowhere without humans. They planned to keep what they had (lawfully or not) taken. The camp grew slowly, and infighting occured between people and not-people. The disputes grew so forceful, so disruptive, that the land itself.... intervened.

A clap of thunder, a slight tremble in the earth. This was the only warning before the Power was unleashed. A flash of lightning, another, louder peal of thunder, and suddenly there were eleven, where there had been ten.

The eleventh looked perfectly ordinary Black Irish; pale alabaster skin, jet black hair, small and slight of stature. Perfectly ordinary. Until one noticed that a cloud, lower than the rest, seemed to hover over the boy (he couldn't have been more than sixteen!) and the immediate surrounding area. Those ten that had been there began shouting and demanding answers, what was going on, what was happening, who was he? But under cover of behaving similarly, several of them knew exactly what was going on, what was happening, who he was.

Cataclysm.

The boy spoke with a voice of thunder, seeming to be unreal coming from such a young mouth. "Some of you do not belong here. For some of you, your time has passed into the mists. There is nothing here for you. However, I have not the power to force you out. Instead, we will see just how well you pass in this increasingly-nonmagical world. If you manage to reclaim your land... well."

The boy looked at each of the ten. Mist began to swirl around one of them, entering the body and glowing for a moment, before settling to normal astonishingly quickly. The boy smiled.

"The land itself has taken a hand, it seems. Well and good. Your task shall be thus; each day, talk amongst yourselves. Gain information. Decide who is to be trusted, and who is not. At the end of the day, I will return, and you will give me a name. That name will be.... removed. But beware! Night brings things best left unmentioned. I fear for you all."

Lightning flashed again, and Cataclysm was gone.

Day 1 starts now. It will end in 23 1/2 hours, at 7 PM CST, Sunday, September 2nd.

Voting: Votes are retractable once per day. The person with the most votes will be executed. In the case of a tie, a randomizer will be used. During Day 1 and Day 2 only, you may vote for No Execution.

Tell me anything I missed, and sorry if the prologue's not up to standard.

Shining:

1. Lommy
2. Nogrod
3. Menel
4. Isabellkya
5. Rikae
6. Brinniel
7. Kath
8. Durelin
9. Eomer/Cailin
10. Espiem

Forever Dimmed:

Last edited by Shastanis Althreduin; 09-01-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Prologue posted. It's safe to post now.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
(No, we’re not starting with a Night phase.)

Well, I must say I find it rather disappointing that I am the first person to here several hours (yes, I am too lazy to do the math) after this Day has started.

Except for the fact that, at this time, I can make inflammatory accusations about whomever I please.

First off, I have never heard of this "Espiem" person. Very suspicious.

And this "Eomer/Cailin"...slash? Or? Or and/or?! How is either the Eomer supposed to know what the Cailin is doing or vice-versa?

And I do hope he/she/it/they do not get two votes, even if they have the mental capacity to vote twice? And perhaps we have to lynch him/her/it/them twice? If so, I say we start now.

And (And I will persist in beginning my sentences with conjunctions!) I hear only crickets when I should be hearing Nogrod talking about how he's not hearing anything except crickets and his own voice. How sad. I think toDay is going to drive him nuts, so perhaps we should put him out of his misery?

I need chocolate before I can come up with anything else to fill up this thread. Let me warn you though that a cocoa-buzz vote from me may not be a good idea, so please start posting to give me something else to fuel my thoughts.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have to admit, I am a little frightened. As when I arrive here, there is usually an abundance of posts to sift through.

I would think that they would only get one vote between them.

Apparently my reading comprehension is a bit off ToDay, because I read the prologue, but for the life of me can not retain the information.

There is some fuel for you Durelin; summarize and extrat the important parts!
Old 09-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Isabellkya

-Summary-
Scared. Likes Posts. Vote for one vote for Eomer/Cailin. Is not comprehending the reading of the prologue. Thinks there is information she should be retaining from the prologue. Name is difficult to spell. Has given me fuel.

-Important Part(s)-
Has reminded me to read the prologue.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #6
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well quite honestly, I am not at all surprised at this silence. There is only a small number of us, half of which are in a time zone far ahead of us others. I can only hope that it will no longer be so quiet a few hours from now.

Anyways, here I am finding myself in yet another mystery game. We do not know what our gifteds are, or even how many wolves are among us. Meanwhile, I'm just hoping this time we won't have any no-voters, which with our small number could hurt us dearly.

There's really not much else to say; only two have spoken and there is only little information I can gather from that. Again, I won't be around at deadline, so I will be voting early.

So, I guess that only leaves one big question: Is it Cailomer or Eolin?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:43 AM   #7
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hello.

I'm here, but I won't be around too much toDay - I'm afraid I'm quite busy with my hobbies and school. Secondly I must vote very early (though that is something I have to do every day). I'm quite confused of what's the deadline, since the time stamp of the first post suggests that the deadline would be 1am my time and the deadline given, 7pm cst, suggests it's 4am my time. In the former case I guess I will usually vote about 3 (or 2) hours before the deadline and in the latter case about 6 (or 5) hours before the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel
even how many wolves are among us
I must say I've been speculating with that, and my guess is that we have either just two wolves or two wolves and a cobbler. I think three wolves would be a bit outrageous, because then almost 1/3 of the village population would be wolvish. But I have to say that the wording of the first post sounds more like there were three not two wolves... What say you, native English speakers? Anyway, I'd advise people to play as there were three wolves (which I think is the worst possible setting), since I'd hate to see us taking this easy and counting on that we have time to get rid of two baddies while the three wolvsies snicker in their hairy snouts and gloat about them being three, while assuring the village it makes most sense that there's just two of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn
Meanwhile, I'm just hoping this time we won't have any no-voters, which with our small number could hurt us dearly.
Indeed. I don't think anyone who has village's best interests in mind should vote for no execution, since that makes it quite impossible to analyze that person. Also, it gives the wolves' votes more weight as there's one innocent vote less. And of course that would be very stupid of our village not to kill anybody during the day as almost a third of us might be wolvish and in my opinion we need to use every shot we have.
Quote:
So, I guess that only leaves one big question: Is it Cailomer or Eolin?
I think Cailomer sounds better, but I might be as boring as to call them CE or EC or EoCa or something like that... Maybe we should ask them what they prefer?

Durelin - were you serious about EC getting two votes? I first thought it was some sort of a joke, but now I guess you were serious. Anyway, if you ask me, they only get one vote as they're only one player. Simple.

That's it for a while, I'll be back later.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:30 AM   #8
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'd agree with Lommy here for I do think also that we probably have three wolves around. Remember what the eleventh said:
Quote:
All I'll say for now is that innocents won't be completely defenseless.
So if we have extra powers to defend us we most probably face more baddies as well. This may turn out a bloodbath I'm afraid.

And more baddies around means that we need to lynch people when we can. It was an interesting idea to give the people a chance to not execute anyone on first two Days but it seems that the option is not reasonable in this situation - granted that we do actually have three wolves. But be as it may I don't think we can afford trusting there being only two wolves and thence toying with the no-lynch -policy.

I'm also confused about the deadline. According to the first post on this thread it is 10PM GMT. Can we trust that? In that case I might be able to hang around near the deadline, but if it is three hours later (the time when Shasta posted the "prologue posted" -thing) I'll be sound asleep by the deadline (4AM here).
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:27 AM   #9
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
But I have to say that the wording of the first post sounds more like there were three not two wolves... What say you, native English speakers?
What wording are you referring to? I've never been terribly good at catching hints in narration, so it'd be more helpful if you pointed out a specific quote.

There's definitely two or three wolves among us and I agree that it's better to assume the larger number. Otherwise we will set ourselves up for disappointment and possibly allow an extra wolf to slip under the radar. But really, I think sticking to the assumption that there's more than less is simply common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
I'm also confused about the deadline. According to the first post on this thread it is 10PM GMT. Can we trust that?
CST is an hour ahead of my time zone, and my time zone is GMT -6. Therefore, the deadline is at midnight GMT. I think that makes it 3am your time...so I could quite understand if you were fast asleep by deadline (unless you like to stay up until 5am like me ).

Speaking of sleep, I'm rather exhausted and am needing to go to bed. Hopefully, there will be a lot more posts when I return.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:17 AM   #10
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Greetings fellow wanderers. There has been speculation as to our number and how many votes we brave warriors should receive in the matter of these executions. Let us now explicate.

How many of ye know the ways of the warriors of Finn? Few, we reckon. For it is so: this is the enumeration [and description] of Finn’s people: our strength is seven score and ten officers, each man of these - having thrice nine warriors, every one bound (as was the way with Cuchullin in the time when he was there) to certain conditions of - service, which were: that in satisfaction of their guarantee violated - they must not accept material compensation; in the matter of valuables or of meat must not deny any; no single individual of them to fly before nine warriors.

Not a man of them was taken till his hair had been interwoven into braids on him and he started at a run through Ireland’s woods; while they, seeking to wound him, followed in his wake, there having been between him and them but one forest bough by way of interval at first. Should he be overtaken, he was wounded and not received into the Fianna after. If his weapons had quivered in his hand, he was not taken. Should a branch in the wood have disturbed anything of his hair out of its braiding, neither was he taken. If he had cracked a dry stick under his foot [as he ran] he was not accepted. Unless that [at his full speed] he had both jumped a stick level with his brow, and stooped to pass under one even with his knee, he was not taken. Also, unless without slackening his pace he could with his nail extract a thorn from his foot, he was not taken into Fianship: but if he performed all this he was of Finn’s people.

And so you see, that we are worth many score votes. To make matters easier, we should simply agree that our choice be damned.

Today we are most concerned with Brinniel. She claims exhaustion at this early stage of proceedings; but we are warriors of Finn and know not the concept of exhaustion. We are suspicious of that which we know not.

We have spoken.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:42 AM   #11
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Oh woe is me! A terrible misfortune has befallen our camp, so it has. I should have spoken up sooner, for I saw it in the cards. But I thought that they had mispoken, so I did. But, had I but looked further, the signs were unmistakable. The Tower speaks of ruin being visited upon us. Yet, there is hope, so there is. The High Priestess and Strength indicates that there are those among us who may aid us in our struggle and the Wheel of Fortune tells us that our fate is not yet sealed.

Quote:
or even how many wolves are among us.
Now, who said anything about wolves? My own reading is that the faeries have come among us to reclaim their land. Most likely faerie changelings or, saints preserve us, banshees, whose wail can drain the life from those who sleep, so it can.

Quote:
But I have to say that the wording of the first post sounds more like there were three not two wolves...
Quote:
What wording are you referring to?
Indeed, Mistress Lommy. What reference did you catch there? All I heard was that "several" fiends were among us. Do you have some special knowledge in this matter?

That said, I agree that we should make no assumptions and act on the basis of the worst case scenario. Then again, surely that is so obvious, so it is, that there is little need for it to be spoken. Regardless of the number of evil spirits among us, our aim should be to preserve as many innocent Irelander lives as possible, should it not?

Quote:
But be as it may I don't think we can afford trusting there being only two wolves and thence toying with the no-lynch -policy.
I think it unlikely that there would ever be no lynch. It would have to be agreed upon by all, and it makes no sense at all for us to forego our one shot at the fiends who beset us. Yet individuals may still avail themselves of the opportunity to withhold their vote. There are a number of reasons why someone might wish to do this, depending upon the circumstances, and not necessarily because they are enemies. I do not rule it out, but will judge anyone who takes up this opportunity on the situation prevailing at the time they do so.

And now I shall revert once more to my cards in the hope that they will better aid me to search out the changelings among us.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:48 AM   #12
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Palantir-Green

By the way, on the timing, I believe that the first post was edited in as a change to the original post, which went up before the game started. A better indication is the timing of Shasta's second post which, taken with what was said in the first post, indicates that the day will end at 2am BST (my time), which translates to 1am GMT and (I think) 7pm CST, to be sure.

Then again, I completely mucked up my timing calculation in the Admin thread, so what do I know?
Old 09-02-2007, 06:58 AM   #13
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Scrub that. I checked, and CST is GMT - 5 hours.

So the Day will finish at 7pm CST, 12am GMT, 1am BST.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:23 AM   #14
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Silmaril

I have completed my reading. Take heed, for the cards never lie (though they can be darned difficult to read at times).

Lommy - The Magician - Hmm, could indicate power and confidence, but could also indicate trickery and deception. One to watch.

Nogrod - Justice - Truth, integrity and fairness, But the negative connotations are bad advice and bias, bringing injustice. Probably innocent, but may be misguided at times.

Menel - The Hermit - Tends to suggest that he will be absent, at least for the first Day or so.

Isabellkya - The Hanged Man - Flexible and free-thinking, but possibly easily influenced. Most likely innocent.

Rikae - The Lovers - Indicates the beginning of a relationship, but there is some separation in the context of our current situation. No idea what that means.

Brinniel - The Heirophant - Wise counsel and spiritual consolation, but wisdom might also be exercised deviously to cause confusion. Possibly the cobbler.

Kath - The Emperor - Indicates power, which might be exercised either beneficially for the good of the camp or tyrannically, to its detriment. Again, one to watch.

Durelin - The Fool - Joy and spontaneity combined with naivety and irresponsibility. Most likely innocent, but will be on completely the wrong track for most of the game.

Eomer/Cailin - The World - Success and completion, tempered by impatience and delays. We would do well to trust our doughty warrior.

Esspiem - Temperance - Harmony and moderation, but could spill over into anger and lack of self-control. Indicates that I am quite clearly an innocent Irelander, but will get annoyed if unjustly accused.

Based on this, I believe that the evil spirits among us may be found in:

Lommy
Kath
and
Brinniel
Old 09-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #15
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Hey not so many posts to slog through as usual, now that's nice. I'm just popping in quickly at the moment as I'm about 5 minutes away from setting off for Guildford and I don't know how long it's going to take me to get access to the net up there. Hoepfully it won't take long and I will see you all soon.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #16
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
This is not going well at all: my main suspects (if they can really be called that as no one in this village seems very suspicious) are Eomer(and his other half) and Sauce. Sounds all too familiar...

Cailomer seems to accuse Brinn a bit too swiftly. That's the concrete thing in them that makes me suspicious. As to other suspicious things... it's something in their air... oh, drat it, it must be that avvie... ...

Sauce then. He's a bit too agreeable for himself () and his suspicions of Kath even though she hadn't posted a single post when he phrased his doubts seemed quite weird. Granted, it looks like banter and probably is that, but it certainly doesn't make me trust SPM...

Quote:
What wording are you referring to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
Indeed, Mistress Lommy. What reference did you catch there?
Sorry for being a bit vague, but it was more the overall phrasing than any certain word that made me think that way. But I guess I might be able to find some passages that suggest that...
Well the "several" SPM mentioned refers (in my opinion) more than two people, but of course we can't discount the gifteds of being included in that several.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the narration
"Some of you do not belong here. For some of you, your time has passed into the mists. There is nothing here for you. However, I have not the power to force you out. Instead, we will see just how well you pass in this increasingly-nonmagical world. If you manage to reclaim your land... well."
This just sounds like the boy was speaking of more than two people. Maybe it's just me, but I see "some" rather referring to three or four (I'm not suggesting we have four wolves, though ) people than to two.
Well of course I might be wrong here and I don't know which other word than "some" one could use when speaking about two people in a context like this, but... *sigh* I guess you can interpret these things in any/ either way so it actually seems quite useless to speculate about it. Maybe the nightly narration will reveal something. But as I said, it's wiser to over-estimate than under-estimate their numbers, so let's think (or I will think that way, anyway) that there's three of them as long as we don't have any evidence that contradicts that presumption.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #17
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
With a quick glance I must say that the only thing that even somehow raises eyebrows right now is the fact that both Cailomer and Spm seem to have veiled themselves behind roles of sorts. I don't know what to say of it though - and because they make quite amusing posts I would be very unhappy to see either of them lynched on Day1 just because of that.

I think also that we need to be aware not to direct all our attention and / or suspicion over exactly those people who look like ones we could easily turn to - even if it is the easiest way for any individual in the confusion and guessing on Day1. It has many times resulted in hasty bandwaggon-lynching of an innocent with the negative effect that the baddies can safely ride with the tide and get lost in the crowd.

I will be back and be more active in an hour or two.

Only Menel and Rikae yet to post (and well Kath's wasn't actually a post I'd say). I hope all the people get more involved as the "evening" draws near.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #18
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Aha! Thank you, Mistress Lommy, for your most revealing contribution. You are clearly up to no good. So without further ado ...

++THINLOMIEN

The cards never fail me. Gotcha, my dear!
Old 09-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #19
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

One should always read the admin thread before starting to play...

Both Cailmer and Spm had decided on having roles already before the game-roles were dealed so them being in a role-mode is no reason for me to raise my eyebrows anymore.

My bad.

Other things of interest: Menel will be back only on Monday, Rikae has been around four days ago the last time which raises the question whether she knows the game is on in the first place.

I wouldn't suggest lynching either of them because of that. At least yet.

Also, the ruling about two or more people reaching the same number of votes has been changed. So no longer will it be a randomized choice but a double-lynch (triple-, quadruple- etc.) is possible.

We should think about using that possibility at some point, for instance getting rid of possible silent timebombs. But I'd say not toDay.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #20
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

The thing about in-character roles is that I always find it so easy for a baddie to hide within such a role. But obviously, we cannot make suspicions based on that alone.

Cailomer's post doesn't really have any content aside from in-character behaviour...so I can't formulate anything just yet. Personally, I would like to hear from the other half and see if I can catch any hints towards innocence or guilt from the she-side, but I don't know how long we'd have to wait for that...

I find it odd that SPM places Kath in the suspicious category before she even has the chance to speak. And his vote for Lommy...I cannot see a good reason behind it. Perhaps he could give us more explanation...

Quote:
Also, the ruling about two or more people reaching the same number of votes has been changed. So no longer will it be a randomized choice but a double-lynch (triple-, quadruple- etc.) is possible.
I thought it's been changed the other way around and that it's now randomizer and no multiple lynchings due to our small number..

First Days are always difficult...and I must vote in less than an hour. Please people, speak up now! Making these decisions are so much harder when everyone is so quiet.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #21
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I should vote soon, too. Like I've said before, EC and SPM are the only ones to make me raise my eyebrows (SPM has increased that with that almost nonreasoned vote of his - which possibly was partly to see how I would react to it), but I wouldn't be too happy to vote either of them. I would not like to lynch EC on the first day without a good reason, since they play so rarely and it's a pleasure to play with them, nor would I like to vote SPM who's really nice to play with: he's a powerful ally or a challenging enemy. I would also agree with Noggie about Menel and Rikae. So I should either pursue my feeble suspicion of SPM or intentionally try to fish for other suspicious things/people... Argh.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #22
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Some things I thought I'd clear up:

First, Espiem is right about the deadline. 7 PM CST, 12 AM GMT, 1 AM BST, or, in about five hours.

Second, Brinniel is right about the lynching. A randomizer will be used in the case of a tie.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #23
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

We are displeased with Brinniel's comments regarding our so-called "she-side". We have no 'she-side' but are, rather, numerous warriors banding together – the two most prominent of whom are named Eomer and Cailín. The mere suggestion that that aspect known as Cailín would be either more useful to the village in a positive way, or indeed so careless as to reveal any hint of inner evil, is demeaning to all of us.

Our recital of melodious poetry, under even the most dire circumstances, could possibly be seen as more feminine by uninformed people. Yet, as all wise elders know:

Of all these again not a man was taken until he were a prime poet versed in the twelve books of poesy. No man was taken till in the ground a large hole had been made (such as to reach the fold of his belt) and he put into it with his shield and a fore*arm’s length of a hazel stick. Then must nine warriors, having nine spears, with a ten furrows’ width betwixt them and him, assail him and in concert let fly at him. If past that guard of his he were hurt then, he was not received into Fianship.

So this shows that no sense can be gained from treating our words as those of individuals; for we are warriors of Finn and have but one way and one mind.

We are still mightily concerned with the behaviour of Brinniel; but also with that of Thinlómien, who has failed to see Brinniel's strategy of fake exhaustion as a damning indictment on her character. Instead she makes us the villains. Highly suspicious to jump quickly on those who would dare cast suspicion.

Aye. We have spoken.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:08 PM   #24
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Question

EC, are you really serious about that exhaustion-thing?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #25
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Dare you suggest that our words were meant in jest? Frivolity is known not to the warriors of Finn. You must remember, Thinlómien, that accusations and counter-accusations must start somewhere; and silence can doom us all.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #26
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Thanks Shasta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
First, Espiem is right about the deadline. 7 PM CST, 12 AM GMT, 1 AM BST, or, in about five hours.

Second, Brinniel is right about the lynching. A randomizer will be used in the case of a tie.
The second confusion arose when I checked the admin thread and saw that the first post had been edited as late as yesterday so I thought it had current information in it.

To the work then.

Menel will not be around until Day2 and of Rikae we know nothing right now. I'd hate to lynch them toDay. So no vote from me to them toDay.

Lynching Spm on Day1 is waste if there is no good case to be made which I can't as yet see around. The same I think goes for Lommy. Also if the warriors of Finn don't raise anymore eyebrows I'd like to see them in action also toMorrow.

That then would leave me with the following list:
Isabellkya
Brinniel
Kath
Durelin

I'll try to see what if anything I can find about them.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #27
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I do remember that, but I must say I'm a bit baffled about why you still stick to that really quite nonsensical accusation. I can see why you made it back then, but why do you still seriously insist it is something I can't see. It makes me somewhat wary.

I would so much like to see Rikae or Kath coming online and posting something... (Preferably something suspicious so I wouldn't need to wonder who to vote.... )

EDIT: xed with Noggle
Old 09-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #28
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Nogrod & Thinlómien, your willingness to appease us makes us suspicious of you. Why so keen not to vote for us?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #29
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

In a way I agree with Nogrod's list, but on the other hand I think it would be a bit unfair to vote them as they have done nothing suspicious, unlike SPM and EC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC
Nogrod & Thinlómien, your willingness to appease us makes us suspicious of you. Why so keen not to vote for us?
Because, as I said, I'd like to see you survive a bit longer, as it's such a rare pleasure to play with you (especially with the she-side).

Argh, I should vote very soon........

Oh, and I checked Rikae's livejournal and she has last written in there yesterday, so I informed her there that this game has started. Let's just hope she will check her LJ (or the BD) soon...
Old 09-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #30
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

We don't trust Nogrod. We'll give more reasons tomorrow, as we must now be off to our tale-telling and feasting, but his suspicions don't make too much sense to us, and he seems to want to build unwholesome alliances for probably-devious purposes. He must die.

So say the warriors of Finn of the mighty deeds.

++NOGROD
Old 09-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #31
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I've reread Sauce's posts and they don't seem so suspicious anymore. Though I will definitely keep an eye on him.

As this was mostly a choice between him and EC, they must, sadly, receive my vote, though their last post sounds quite interesting. Surely that is worth noticing.

++Eomer and Cailín

Because they've throwed weird accusations around (like the exhaustion-thing) and because they were kind of asking for it...

Good night, fellow villagers!
Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #32
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, I'm sorry for my late arrival - I only just realised the game was on now.

Reading through the posts, the most alarming - or just the strangest - thing I can see is Lommy's behavior. Accusing those who accuse in jest is a classic wolf blunder - one I would consider too obvious, though, for either an evil or good Lommy to fall into. She is too experienced for this; I oculd only imagine a cobbler-Lommy, or some other role that might deliberately draw suspicion upon itself, doing such a thing.

Clearly EC and SPaM were throwing out the usual groundless first accusations; in doing so - and in-character no less, surely they realised they drew attention to themselves. SPaM's post seems to involve something more than banter - perhaps an excessive friendliness, an attempt to establish himself as an indispensible "presence" in this game. Nogrod even mentions not wishing to vote for someone who is amusing - while I understand it, this could be deadly in such a small group.

One more thing I noted is that Durelin doesn't seem quite Durelin-ish. She appears ever so slightly more cautious and calculated than usual.

I agree that a day without a lynch simply plays into the hands of the baddies, but I'll hold off on voting for now in hopes things become clearer.

EDIT: X'd with Lommy, EC & Lommy again.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #33
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailomer
We are displeased with Brinniel's comments regarding our so-called "she-side". We have no 'she-side' but are, rather, numerous warriors banding together – the two most prominent of whom are named Eomer and Cailín. The mere suggestion that that aspect known as Cailín would be either more useful to the village in a positive way, or indeed so careless as to reveal any hint of inner evil, is demeaning to all of us.
I never said I had a preference to one side, I just would like to hear both personalities of one being, so to say.

Cailomer is acting very odd and jumpy toDay, but for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I'd like to hear more from them tomorrow anyways.

SPM is the only one I can draw suspicion from based on reasons I stated earlier. It would be a shame to lose him so early if he is innocent, but then again, he can be quite the treacherous baddie. And since I am out of time, I must rush and make my vote.

++Saucepan Man

EDIT: X-ed with Lommy and Rikae (good to see you show up, btw)
Old 09-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #34
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

In the order of appearance it goes then.

Durelin: Basic Day1 Dury-banter, makes joking suspicions and later answers to Isabell with a joke-analysis on Isabell (and not the prologue she was asked by Isabell if I got it right).

So?
She can be anything. I see nothing out of the ordinary here but she is very much able to use that as a cover as well.

Isabellkya: One post, second of the Day. Not much to go for there. Although the beginning made me wonder a bit. I mean why say "I have to admit, I am a little frightened"? Not the least because if it would be something like in-character -stuff there should be more of it to follow I'd think. I don't see why any goodie would say that but a baddie might do it to try to indicate she's not a baddie here...

So?
She just might be a baddie although the grounds are pretty weak. But the best I have this far.

Brinniel: Seems to be like she normally is as well, considerate and cool. Although one might say that she seems to prefer talking more about general issues than people around.

So?
Hard to say once again. She might be a baddie playing it safe for she sure could pull that presentation...

Kath: Told us she will be back. She seems to get through pretty easily on Day1's by just laying low and she's a devastating villain when she gets through say Day3 or 4. Yes I admit, I'm afraid of her everytime I play with her because first there is nothing to say on her and then she has already stabbed you...

So?
It feels wrong to vote for someone who has only said she will be back later but when it's Kath I might just be persuaded - it has even paid back sometimes.

Summa summarum.
Quite thin results. Which was to be expected when looking at the number and length of the posts toDay. Of the four I'd say Isabell seems the most suspicious now. But I'll be around for a while still so that I can see if better candidates / points arise.

Last edited by Nogrod; 09-02-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: X'd with a host of posts...
Old 09-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #35
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
your willingness to appease us makes us suspicious of you. Why so keen not to vote for us?
I'm not keen to vote anyone right now even if I do know I need to do it. But what I'm afraid of is that we end up like so many times before lynching an outspoken innocent on Day1 just because it's so easy to vote for those who are talked about eg. those who have themselves said something that stirs discussion.

Also as a friend of games where people have lively discussions I am - and have always been - a friend of loudmouths / contributors / discussion openers / whatever name you wish to use. Thence I wish to see the silent dangers eliminated on Day1 if there is no case to be made against anyone more in the frontrow of discussions.

I'm ready and willing to vote for you Cailmer, or Spm, or Lommy or... as soon as I have a reason for it that is above pure chance. But as long as there are no good grounds for voting you I'd risk my chances with those who do not contribute that much and are thence always more or less shots in the dark. They will turn into real threats as Days go by.

Somehow I get the odd feeling that I have experienced this discussion taking place once or twice already...
Old 09-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #36
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
But what I'm afraid of is that we end up like so many times before lynching an outspoken innocent on Day1 just because it's so easy to vote for those who are talked about eg. those who have themselves said something that stirs discussion.
Just to press my point look at the voting so far:

Spm -> Lommy
Cailmer -> Nogrod
Lommy -> Cailmer
Brinniel -> Spm

So those people who have actually tried to have the discussion going are now those walking towards the gallows. This is what I was trying to avoid. Sadly with little success this far.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #37
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quadruple posting...

I need to be voting soon and have tried to scan the thread through for anything I've missed or just not paid attention to.

Here's what I'd like to bring forwards.

I am a bit worried with Lommy's way of apologising her vote almost to excession. She seems to overdo it and that makes me wonder. Also her final reasons for voting them sound a bit odd when compared with her self-proclaimed pity if they were lynched:
Quote:
Because they've throwed weird accusations around (like the exhaustion-thing) and because they were kind of asking for it...
I'm not sure if this cries evil but it looks noteworthy anyhow.

Cailmer's vote for me makes them look a bit more innocentish to me. They had consistently suspected Brinn the whole Day and later brought up Lommy as a candidate as well but in the last minute they changed their mind and voted for me. I think a wolf would have settled with a nicely built up "case" and voted for Brinn - or Lommy with whom they had a small exchange - and not risk a possible "counterstrike" (with all this "we'll elaborate the reasons toMorrow"). Also their complaints on why some people don't want to vote them coupled with their shown eagerness to vote for those people looks more innocentish than lupine.

I'm not sure if I can see the added caution or calculation in Dury's posts like Rikae does. But as a non native speaker I might fail to see things. And Dury is crafty enough to look perfectly her normal self and still be a villain.

Pretty many people seem to be getting through this first Day quite easily. If Kath, Dury, Isabell, Rikae... don't make a lot more contributions later toDay they should be looked much more closely toMorrow.

Here we go then.

I find suspicious:
Isabell - The silent ones are always hard to catch but the slip about being frightened might be the one to make it this time.
Kath - I always find her suspicious and am afraid of her as she can pass every radar and still get on with it.

I have some concerns:
Lommy - Because of what I mentioned above.
Dury - She's one of those one just can't say anything. So we should be very careful with her.

I'm slightly worried about:
Spm - He doesn't ring any alarms right now.
Brinniel - She doesn't ring any alarms right now.
Rikae - She doesn't ring any alarms right now.
Menel - He hasn't have had even a chance to raise any alarms this far.

I'm believing innocentish:
Cailmer - Look above for stated reasons.

Now a cigarette to decide a vote...
Old 09-02-2007, 03:57 PM   #38
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

++ Isabellkya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabell
I have to admit, I am a little frightened.
While all the rest of her post is in a kind of matter-of-fact -discussion mode this starting line bothers me. She's not in a role in her post so why this? I can't see an innocent person making that comment in a straightforward stylish discussion. But a wolf might wish to try and look innocentish by making this kind of a comment.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #39
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ok, I'm here at last. I'm so glad I live with computing students, I really do not get these internet connections. Should be able to stay until the deadline now though for once! Just going to do a quick catch up.

Durelin - began surprisingly ... sane? I don't know how else to explain it. Perhaps it is the lack of a role as an outlet for her madness but her random accusations actually had some sense to them!

Izzie - frightened by the lack of posts. That seems odd to me, though that could only be because I like the lack of posts, but only those with something to hide need large amounts of words to shield them.

Brinniel - points out the obvious a bit, though helpfully, as I'd not realised we hadn't been told the number of wolves. Pokes a bit at Eolin and Sauce, though doesn't condemn them.

Lommy - good first post talking about the possible number of wolves and also about the no execution thing. It would be nice to make it through a Day without killing anyone but without a voting record we have less to go on tomorrow, and that only does us more harm than good. Suspicions on Sauce and Eolin. Possibly over-analysing the narrative, but it's a fair angle to look at. Ah! And one of the famous flip-flops occurs over SPM. Would love to know why the change of heart?

Nogrod - basically repeats everything Lommy just said. Then there's a comment I don't understand:
"I think also that we need to be aware not to direct all our attention and / or suspicion over exactly those people who look like ones we could easily turn to - even if it is the easiest way for any individual in the confusion and guessing on Day1."
Would you mind explaining Noggie? I didn't quite get what you meant.
Also, the possibility of a double lynch was mentioned (I know, it's not actually happening now but still) and that was a strange thing to me. Why would you want a double lynch in a village so small? Especially later on when quiet ones might just provide the numbers needed to keep the villagers in the lead. Unless a Seer pops up with the names of two wolves under their belt I can't see a double lynch ever helping us in this game, and the suggestion seems suspicious. Has Izzie as the most suspicious from his list. Is really over-explaining his choice of vote, but I guess some people think out loud.

Eolin (I chose that one, I quite liked it) - rambles with no actual answers as to the matter of how many votes they get. I suspect it's just the one, and only one lynch/kill will cause their death. I'm loving the story of the Finn, but am growing tired of the lack of helpfulness. I don't want them gone by any means, they're too entertaining, but I would like some sense from them. Pretty solid suspicion of Brinniel though.

Sauce - picks up on a few points and adds his thoughts. Pretty normal for him by the look of things. Has Lommy, me and Brinniel down as suspects, with reasoning being drawn from his 'cards'. I take it Sauce is one of the few with a role, and assume his reasoning is actually based on past games, in which case it may have some merit to it. Only problem is, he gave both the good and bad points of each card, thereby covering his back and not giving particularly definitive answers.

Rikae - thinks Lommy odd for seeing jest as serious. I suspect that may be down to Eolin and Lommy's sense of humour not meshing, but it's a fair point. Notes the same difference I did in Durelin.

Votes:
Lommy - 1 (Sauce)
Nogrod - 1 (Eolin)
Eolin - 1 (Lommy)
Sauce 1 (Brinniel)

Right, suspicions (I'm going with the assumption that there are three wolves because it's what I'm used to):
Sauce
Brinniel
Nogrod

I think we may well have a wolf on wolf vote in Brinniel's vote for Sauce. He made a throwaway comment about her at the beginning and then Brinniel slowly built up a case against him from the start. Voting for Sauce on Day 1 can almost be considered a safe vote as well, as he rarely gets lynched early on because the benefits of an innocent Sauce are often considered to outweigh the consequences of an evil one.

As for Nogrod, I think what I said above mostly covers that. He feels wrong to me.

I'll have a think about my vote. Right now I think it will go to Brinniel, but if no one else will go for that I'm pretty equal on voting Sauce or Nogrod.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #40
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Cross posted with Noggie so I'll update the voting:

Lommy - 1 (Sauce)
Nogrod - 1 (Eolin)
Eolin - 1 (Lommy)
Sauce 1 (Brinniel)
Izzie - 1 (Nogrod)