The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Tolkien Hobbit2 - An Introduction

Welcome to our second Chapter-by-Chapter discussion of The Hobbit! Many are looking forward to the movie(s), and we are preparing by rereading the book. This thread gives general information on it as well as on the discussion.

The previous discussions were titled "The Hobbit", so if you click on the "Thread" link at the top left of the CbC sub-forum index, you will find them on page 4 in the alphabetical list. The new threads will show up on the first page, since they begin with "H" instead of "T".

Those who would like to may read up on the previous discussions, but we will not reference them directly, since we want to offer a clean slate for all participants. I will not give much introduction for each chapter this time - just a brief opening, then you are welcome to jump in with your thoughts, feelings and opinions.

I am using Douglas Anderson's The Annotated Hobbit for my rereading and recommend it for interesting insights into details. John Rateliff's The History of the Hobbit has been published since our last round, so its insights are available to enrich our discussions as well. Hammond and Scull published The Art of the Hobbit last year, and we can use it to comment on Tolkien's pictures. Another possible comparitive reference is the graphic novel of The Hobbit, illustrated by David Wenzel. If you have other secondary literature, please do post about it! I have written a chapter in Music in Middle-earth that has a section on "The Unexpected Concert" in the first chapter.

The Annotated Hobbit includes not only a number of reviews of the book which were new to me but also a paragraph summary written by Tolkien for its publishing. Here it is:
Quote:
If you care for journeys there and back, out of the comfortable Western world, over the edge of the Wild, and home again, and can take an interest in a humble hero (blessed with a little wisdom and a little courage and considerable good luck), here is the record of such a journey and such a traveller. The period is the ancient time between the age of Faerie and the dominion of men, when the famous forest of Mirkwood was still standing, and the mountains were full of danger. In following the path of this humble adventurer, you will learn by the way (as he did) - if you do not already know all about these things - much about trolls, goblins, dwarves, and elves, and get some glimpses into the history and politics of a neglected but important period.

For Mr. Bilbo Baggins visited various notable persons; conversed with the dragon, Smaug the Magnificent; and was present, rather unwilllingly, at the Battle of Five Armies. This is all the more remarkable, since he was a hobbit. Hobbits have hitherto been passed over in history and legend, perhaps because they as a rule preferred comfort to excitement. But this account, based on his personal memoirs, of the one exciting year in the otherwise quiet life of Mr. Baggins will give you a fair idea of this estimable people, now (it is said) becoming rather rare. They do not like noise.
You are welcome to post any general comments on the whole book, reviews, or on the discussion here. Chapter discussion threads will open weekly, normally on Sunday, though there may be exceptions if my schedule changes.

I look forward to your posts!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolkien
The period is the ancient time between the age of Faerie and the dominion of men . . . . .
Oh my, oh my, oh my. That's all I will say for now.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Boro's post in Roast Mutton sparked some thoughts that I think are more suited to be posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
It's interesting reading this story after all the years of reading LOTR several times. The light, comedic tone (I think especially prevalent in Roast Mutton) was a bit jarring when compared to digging Tolkien's other works.
Indeed! I'd even say that TH is a direct antipode to COH/The Narn, the book/story I consider the most tragic in the legendarium. With Turin, trying so to do well, and having a success that only leads to greater misery; and Bilbo, who doesn't particularly try at first and relies quite a bit on his "luck", who seems to be failing, but in the end succeeds; I think this comparison is pretty valid in terms of characters, storyline, tone, and just about everything.

---

I marvel at my own skill of bringing Turin into everything.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
TH-Bilbo doesn't jar with LOTR-Bilbo to me. I would even say Gandalf in LOTR still maintains some of his clever and light Hobbitish character. Of all the races Gandalf seemed most fond of Hobbits (even though he may have been compared more similarly to the Elves), and certainly with Hobbits (particularly with Bilbo) his personality is different, different than say when he's with Aragorn or Elrond.
I think that Bilbo is the only character that throughout LOTR remains the same person. He has his "epiphany and big character change moment" when he recites "the road goes ever ever on". It's his moment of wisdom. But afterwards, he's the same good old Bilbo.

And even after that moment he retains all that he had before - except his peace of mind, of course. He only gains. Like Merry and Pip, with their philosophical conversation in the Houses of Healing. They all could return to their past selves without losing anything, only with gaining. And in TH, unlike LOTR, there aren't that many people who are otherwise, so there is no bitter comparison.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Pipe

Did some reading last night and also this morning (on the bus) in the introduction to The Annotated Hobbit. I haven't yet finished that introduction... Just popping in to say how surprised I am to be enjoying the details even of the publishing... what artwork showed up when... loved the comments on the dust jacket. It really is amazing!

One question regarding the dust jacket of the Annotated Hobbit-- it has a similar artwork (to the original TH dust jacket) of trees in a faded faded pine-green, that is labeled "Mirkwood". Tantalizing. What one can see of it is gorgeous. Where did it come from, I wonder? Is it authentic Tolkien? I don't remember seeing it before in Tolkien's works. I wonder whether it is explained as the book goes on, or who did it-- occurs to me someone might have done it in imitation of Tolkien's style (clever if they did)-- I need to check the inside to see if it talks about where that artwork came from.

Love the color plates...

Haven't enjoyed an introduction this much in a long time. Tolkien's intro to the Hobbit (Esty quoted it above) was incredibly poignant to read today.

"...They do not like noise."