The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-2003, 05:15 PM   #1
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril The Love of Legolas and Linniel, Usurped Princess and Daughter of Elrond - ON ICE!

Okay, maybe that hasn't happened yet, but that was the original mental image I had when I learned about Ancanar, a new movie being made. It takes place in Middle Earth, but was written by Sam R. Balcomb, a director.<P>I wanted to hear your opinions on this movie coming out. There is information about it <A HREF="http://www.lordotrings.com/noflash/movies/ancanar.asp" TARGET=_blank>here</A> and the official website is <A HREF="http://www.ancanar.com/" TARGET=_blank>here</A> if you want to learn about it.<P>I wanted to know:<BR>How do you feel about this story being made?<BR>Do you think this will start a new wave of fanfic-based movies?<BR>Just talk about your opinion about it in general. I will start with mine:<P>At first, as I said, I had this image of some of the horrible teeny-bopper stories that I've seen where the Mary-Sue character marries Legolas and they live "happily ever after" being turned into a movie. I also thought that no one can create as compelling a story as Tolkien did.<P>Then, although I still agree with the second part, I began to read about the movie and I started to get into it *blushes a bright shade of red*. Although I still don't completely understand what it is about, it may turn out to be a good film. I think that, as long as a writer captures the essence of Middle Earth, I believe it is acceptable to take liberties and create one's own story.<P>Then, however I saw the pictures of people and it all changed...<P>Unless these Elves happen to have a barber, their hair is way to short. They all have boy-band hairstyles. The women have long hair, but it is plain. They all look too much like 21st Century people to me.<P>Oh well, that's just my opinion right now. As this is a movie, I figured it belonged in the Movie Section. I just wanted to know what you guys thought about these new Tolkien-based movies that will be coming out soon...