The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2003, 01:07 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril **RotK - Frodo (Elijah Wood)**

What did you think of Frodo in this movie and the way Wood acted the role?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:27 AM   #2
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Silmaril

There was a lot to like: Shelob's Lair; up in the tower; lots of good stuff. Sammath Naur was superb I thought. The conflicts between Frodo and Sam were well done (if non-canonical.) <P>I was surprised after the Ring was destroyed that Frodo looked a lot more healed-up than I thought he would. I expected the weariness so apparent at Sammath Naur to still be reflected in him; but once he's returned to The Shire he seemed all rosy again. Somehow his departure didn't seem so vital. If I hadn't read the books I don't think that I would have gotten that. I think if I was the makeup artists, I'd have left him looking a lot more worn and aged, to get that point across. <P>(Who was that guy speaking Bilbo's lines?? Overdone?? Some of that aging should have been put on Frodo...)<P>I'll have to see the Grey Havens a couple more times, and then I'll be able to decide more about that. It's just quite different from what I had expected; I wish I'd seen more spoilers about it.<P>But then, I'll see it again this afternoon.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:23 AM   #3
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'll have to see the Grey Havens a couple more times<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:31 AM   #4
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Silmaril

Doesn't surprise me.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:55 AM   #5
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The tension between Sam and Frodo was something that I consider a good change. I felt tears in my eyes when Frodo told Sam to go home...
Old 12-17-2003, 09:41 AM   #6
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

He was great!! And so was Sean... ooh man, I have never cried so much during a movie!!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:10 AM   #7
*LillianTinuviel*

Sting

I haven't seen ROTK yet... , but I am so trying 2 get to a theater ASAP, & the you people's comments are making me even more eager!!
Old 12-17-2003, 11:38 AM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Truth be told, I'm a little disappointed with Elijah Wood's performance. He was a perfect hobbit in the first film, but I saw no growth - or wearing down - of his character as the films progressed. <P>He tried, I know, but he just will not let go. His smile in particular just bugs the crap out of me.<P>And I agree Mark, the make-up department really failed the actor. After the Hobbits return to the Shire, Frodo pretty much looks like he did when he set out. Pretty as ever, except for the stump. Couldn't he at least have had a scar and a few crow's feet to suggest what he had been through? Perhaps Mr. Wood has a "Pretty" clause in his contract.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 01:28 PM   #9
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

He seemed too weak all through <I>The Two Towers</I> and then became strong too late at parts in <I>The Return Of The King</I>. Especially when he suddenly got the energy to sprint to the Crack of Doom.<P>But I thought he was good. Not perhaps a standout performance (which the role really requires?) but a pretty good one.<P>I'm glad there were no rolling eyes this time around from Mr. Baggins!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:12 PM   #10
Carorëiel
Haunting Spirit

Carorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Elijah Wood did a great job--I was impressed with this performance of the character in Mordor.<P>A question, though--after Frodo is captured, the orcs take his clothes--except for his pants. We see him lying there with no shirt and Sam has the comment about not walking around Mordor in nothing but his skin. Then we see Sam and Frodo in orc armor. Fine. The next time we see them they are both wearing pants and hobbit shirts. Where did Frodo's shirt come from???? (And his suspenders are there, too, I think.)
Old 12-17-2003, 04:33 PM   #11
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I think he was my favorite this time around. Like cheese and wine, his performance got better over time.<P>Hee hee, cheese.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:04 PM   #12
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Sting

I thought our dear Mr.Wood did an excellent job of portraying Frodo this time around. You could see the sense of dread about him and you could almost feel the pain.<P>I think the whole thing with him sprinting to the crack of doom was, perhaps, like his "second wind" or something. <P>I agree that perhaps he should have looked more worn and weathered at the end of the movie, but still.. The renewal of his appearance kind of reminded me how the great weight of the ring was truly lifted from him.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:35 PM   #13
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elijah did an excellent job portraying Frodo. In fact, I've come to love Frodo even more! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> but once he's returned to The Shire he seemed all rosy again. Somehow his departure didn't seem so vital. If I hadn't read the books I don't think that I would have gotten that<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'd say so! I seem to remember him being more worn in the books. I was a bit disappointed in this, you know what, if they wanted to make him look all rosy again, why not just leave him in Middle-Earth? That's about the just of it. There was a reason he was leaving, the movie didn't portray this very well (besides the whole journey, I'm talking about post-journey wise).<P>Other than this I absolutely LOVED Frodo (granted I really loved seeing him cheery and if I did have it my way, he wouldn't have left for the Grey Havens but hey - I'm not Peter Jackson, I can't change whatever I want )!!!!! I can't get enough of Frodo! Oh and Carorëiel, very good point; I was wondering the same thing.

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:53 PM   #14
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It almost seemed to me like a light bulb went on over Elijah Wood's head--all of a sudden it was like "Oh! Yeah! That's Frodo!" His vulnerability and the fact that he was so open to Gollum's little poisons read so well in Elijah's performance; even though it deviated from the books, I could completely believe it. There was less of the big-eyed lost-little-lamb aura around him, and more desperation and hopelessness. I found some of the Frodo/Sam/Gollum scenes excruciating to watch, not because they were bad, but because I could empathize so entirely with the pain that I could see the characters going through. When Frodo sent Sam away, with fairly subtle facial and vocal expressions Elijah managed to convey that though Frodo had succumbed to Gollum's suggestion, there was still a part of him that was struggling against it.<P>I think my favorite Frodo scene from the Return of the King, and perhaps the whole trilogy, was the scene at Mt. Doom. While Frodo is holding the Ring over the Cracks of Doom, the tension and mental agony that he is going through is so visible on his face, and then the moment of decision has just enough cold, out-of-character calculation to let us know that Frodo isn't really working on his own will. And when he said, after the Ring was destroyed, "I'm glad you're with me, Sam Gamgee, here at the end of all things," I started to cry, because there was this resignation and sense of a peace almost forgotten in his voice.<P>As may be obvious, I thought Elijah did a remarkable job; Return of the King showed off his best acting of the trilogy, in my opinion.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:13 PM   #15
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

You know, PJ did right when he cast Elijah Wood as Frodo and Sean Astin as Sam because those two managed to get me to crying the most through this movie!<P>My heart broke when Frodo told Sam to go home and oh my it was nearly disturbing how real Elijah's portrayal of the Ring taking Frodo was!<P>Oh Elbereth - <B>I LOVE THIS MOVIE</B>!!!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:47 AM   #16
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I've always liked Elijah Wood as Frodo, but I did think there was something definitely <I>better</I> about his portrayal in this last movie. I loved it. It was kind of funny that he seemed to have more strength and determination <I>now</I> than he did setting out "fresh", but by itself I was quite happy with it.<P>I still didn't like him telling Sam to go home, however. It wasn't a <I>horrible</I> change, but I just didn't "believe" it even as an alternate ME movie-universe.<P>He did look to "rosy" afterwards, but to be honest, that was one thing I "hated" about the book. "Hated" in a good way, I mean, as in I knew it was fitting and deep and all, and <I>agree</I> with Tolkien that that's the way it was, but I <I>wished</I> it didn't have to be like that. So I can't really complain about Frodo not looking so bad, because it's what I always secretly wished for. If I had been making the movie I would have probably gone for the really weary appearence and behavior and hated every minute of it. I'm being really hard to follow, I know, but I've always had that ambivalant spot about Frodo. I just can't read the parts about his waning in the Shire after the scouring because it's too sad. I don't really care that non book readers will wonder why he has to leave, after all. I'm selfish that way.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:31 AM   #17
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I think he was wonderful, and deserves an Acadamy Award for best actor!! His performance was amazing. I think his portrayal of Frodo was perfect. He just fit the part so incredibly well!
Old 12-18-2003, 06:47 AM   #18
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wood's best acting comes when he is on the ship in the Grey Havens. He turns round and the look of Joy on his face is beautiful. The only other time we see an identical look on his face is at the very begining of the film when he first hears Gandalf. I'm sure the comparison was meant by Jackson. (The looks are both more joyful than even his look when he's in bed after he's been rescued by Gandalf). <P>It's like a couple of bookends to the film. <P>It's heartbreaking looking at Frodo's face at the begining of the film when you know what he has to go through, but the smile at the end of rotk now helps.<P>It's just sad that Sam will not follow the Movie Frodo into the west, as he was not a Ring Bearer in the film.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 07:29 AM   #19
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

He carried it the whole time Frodo was Out. Doesn't matter whether he put it on or not. He'll go. 'Course only bookHounds will know that.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:15 AM   #20
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I'm not sure what a bookhound is. Does reading the book at least a dozen times and all of the histories / silmarillion count?<P>Anyway, how does having the Ring in your pocket count as 'bearing' the ring? I personally believe that he would have to WEAR the ring to be a Ring Bearer. He only had to travel with the Ring for at most a couple of miles (according to Journeys of Frodo map book).<P>From the book then, Tom Bombadil a ring bearer (he actually wore it). But do you count Gandalf as a bearer of the One Ring when he took it from Frodo for a while at Bag End? In the film, do you regard Boromir as a Ring Bearer for holding the ring by its chain? <P>These are not flippant arguments. I mean what I say. Sam would surely have to wear the ring on his finger to be called a ring bearer. Thus in the film version, he would not follow Frodo across the Sundering Sea.<p>[ 9:17 AM December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Essex ]
Old 12-18-2003, 08:41 AM   #21
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

To "bear" something means to carry it. Not neccessarily to wear it.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:41 AM   #22
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Gandy was a RingBearer because he bore one of the Elven Rings (I forget which one). <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm glad there were no rolling eyes this time around from Mr. Baggins! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I personally loved the way he did that, but perhaps it's just me.<BR>I thought Frodo was on too much of a plateau- he seemed to reach the depths of his exhaustion in TTT. But hey- it was a really good effort, Gollum was amazing and Sam was a wonderful supporting hobbit. But when I was watching it this girl was giggling all the way through the sad bits (I felt ready to kill her- I know her, she's in my class). Bilbo freaked me out- he looked rather like Gollum when he was entering the mountain...
Old 12-18-2003, 10:23 AM   #23
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> To "bear" something means to carry it. Not neccessarily to wear it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Disagree. You are taking the term too literally I believe.<P>PS Pedantically I looked up 'bear' in Webster's. There's quite a lot of meaning to the word. It's not just a cuddly toy!<p>[ 11:27 AM December 18, 2003: Message edited by: Essex ]
Old 12-18-2003, 10:35 AM   #24
Maeglanthirion
Animated Skeleton

Maeglanthirion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maeglanthirion
Sting

bear-To carry from one place to another; transport. <BR> I thought he did a fabulous job. The movie portrayed very well his wearing down throughout the movie. In TTT, you could tell it was getting to him. And now on Mt. Doom, he was like almost dead with exhaustion. That run to the Crack of Doom I think was like his final effort. He didn't think he was going to ever return to the Shire and he was not going to give up and die this close to his goal, on the slopes of Mt. Doom. I thought he did a great job. Oscar worthy? Maybe.
"I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, and we break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!..."
Maeglanthirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:32 PM   #25
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Wood's best acting comes when he is on the ship in the Grey Havens. He turns round and the look of Joy on his face is beautiful <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Wasn't that wonderful? I loved it!
Old 12-18-2003, 02:14 PM   #26
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

What was he thinking?! Was it joy that the war-- external and internal-- was over?<BR>Was he looking forward to his own (and Bilbo's) arrival-- the white shores and green hills under a swift sunrise? Or was he "seeing" Sam's future-- kids, numerous consecutive terms as Mayor, long and happy life...? Or all of it at once?
Old 12-18-2003, 06:08 PM   #27
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I very much enjoyed the performance of Elijah in this film. But his look when he is poisoned by Shelob is freaky! Usually his eyes don't bother me much, but this time they did. I couldn't get emotional during the scene where Sam is cradling him because that look is just so scary. Someone needs to tell Mr. Jackson that he needs to have the eyes close when people die or get posioned, because if not it looks like there still alive (or frozen). But I know, I know, sometimes when people die their eyes don't close, but It is just that in the book there was (I think) a passage about how peaceful Frodo looked, but he didn't look peaceful here! It just bugs me.<P>Other than that, I personally didn't think that he looked too happy when he was in the Shire, you could see that he still had a little weariness, but yes, it wasn't as much as in the book. But the final scene when he is looking back from the Ship at the Grey Havens, I love that. That will be the image of the movie Frodo that I will remember forever <P>Oh, and I loved his new silver waistcoat too
Old 12-19-2003, 01:42 AM   #28
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Someone needs to tell Mr. Jackson that he needs to have the eyes close when people die or get posioned, because if not it looks like there still alive (or frozen). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, I think having his eyes open was a very good touch. The combination of this and the unearthly-white face really bring home the idea in the viewers' minds and Sam's mind that Frodo is not just poisoned, but looks DEAD. It was a good cinematic device. The staring eyes are much more disturbing and final to my mind. (I'm kind of glad they didn't add the "sickly green" shade that Frodo proceeds to turn as Sam watches...)<P>I didn't much care for Frodo telling Sam to go home, but that didn't bother me as much as the fact the Sam went! (Oh yes, Mr. Frodo tells me to go so I'll go, even though I know he is accompanied by a villain who I KNOW means to murder him...) I don't think so! I thought that was a little TOO obvious as a device for conflict. The dynamic between the three (Gollum, Frodo, Sam) works pretty well the way PJ set it up, though, even though it is not in line with Tolkien's original.<P>As for Frodo's "young look" after the War of the Ring, I thought it was unnaturally youthful. He looked as young as he had in the Shire of the pre-quest days. I wondered at that time whether they had meant for him to partially transform to a more pure "elvish" look. Maybe it was part of his own 'fading?'. I had expected more wear and tear on Frodo's visage, and I was rather surprised at how decrepit Bilbo had become, even in the short time we had not seen him! <P>But all the previous commentary of mine above says nothing about Elijah Wood's own performance, really. More a commentary on how Frodo's character and physical development was handled. I must say that much of my opinion rests on the peculiar inflection I hear during the "Naked in the Dark" speech. There is something extra in his voice at that point that separates him completely, as if he is so far from Samwise and the waking world that he is having trouble even describing it. I find that, no matter what mangling of Frodo's character has gone before, the Mordor experience wipes him clean; it becomes a struggle beyond hope, a naked duel of sorts, and for me, a twist of inflection in Elijah's voice brings this home. All else falls away, and somehow, I can actually get inside the once inaccessible realm of Frodo in Mordor that is eternally seen by the reader from Sam's point of view. <I>Seeing</I> Frodo articulating in this way gives me a window into his soul that I think I only saw before through a reader's perception of Sam's thoughts. Either that, or I understand and identify with Sam a little better now, and that window is all that can be seen and should not be opened further, for there are still matters to be settled. "Let's be done with it then." Sam says simply, and gathers the strength that has become hardened within him. This moment is priceless, powerful and shows the great acting prowess of both Elijah and Sean.<P>I'm sure there's more to be said, but thanks for listening to my observations! <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:20 PM   #29
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Elijah Wood was SOOOOO BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!! I was bawling like a baby by the end, both during the scenes at Mt. Doom and the Sammath Naur, and at the Grey Havens. Elijah was absolutely perfect for the role, I don't think anyone else could have played Frodo like he did.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 12:23 PM   #30
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

Well, although I thought that Wood wasn't the ideal actor to portray Frodo, he did an excellent job. In the first movie, I had a hard time seeing Wood as Frodo(he just looked way to young, and Sam too old in my opinion), over the course of three years, I have gotten used to him, and now would have a hard time seeing him as anything else.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:16 PM   #31
Nienna, sister of Feanturi
Pile O'Bones

Nienna, sister of Feanturi has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nienna, sister of Feanturi Send a message via AIM to Nienna, sister of Feanturi
Sting

I thought Elijah Wood was amazing in all the films, especially this one. I really can’t imagine anyone else as Frodo<BR> <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> While Frodo is holding the Ring over the Cracks of Doom, the tension and mental agony that he is going through is so visible on his face <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I agree, I thought that bit was done so well. I was really scared they were going to muck it up, because I think it has so much potential as a scene. I thought that maybe Frodo might have a monologue to tell us what was going on in his mind but when it came to it they didn’t need to. It actually managed to be better than I imagined it! <BR>I agree with Enoreiel about the Havens- it was understated and didn’t really make that much sense. Frodo didn’t seem to be tortured enough after destroying it.- there was nothing about him missing the Ring, or still desiring it which I always thought was one of the central reasons Frodo was so unhappy. I think it’s a pity they missed out the bit with Arwen giving Frodo that jewel thing. (Not that I didn’t think Liv got quite enough screen time). Elijah, oscar worthy? Hell, yeah!
Old 12-20-2003, 01:09 AM   #32
faenaduial

Silmaril

I think this was Elijah's best film. Although I may not have always liked the material the writers gave him, his performance throughout the movie was spot on.<P>We are truly blessed that in one film we have unbelievable performances by so many actors. Elijah, Sean, Andy and Billy were all standouts among a very good cast.<P>From our first look at Frodo during RotK you could see and feel his deterioration. <P>I had no problem with showing Frodo appearing to be restored to health when he was back in the Shire because you could just see the sadness in his eyes. I thought he did an excellent job showing how Frodo, although returned to his "normal" life, could never be the same. No make-up was needed. That is what true acting is about.<P>Bravo!
Old 12-20-2003, 10:22 AM   #33
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Silmaril

There is an article on Tolkien's faith and catholicism posted at TORn, and here is a clip from the end of it. I include it because it explains Philippa Boyens' interpretation of that final smile from Frodo which so haunts and mystifies me. Apparently Boyens and Walsh are coming at this from two different angles, which I suppose isn't suprising, but Boyens has an explaination for that final smile. Comparing her take to what I find in TOlkien's letters, I find her take quite accurate. <P>SPOILER WARNING, of course. <P>Here is Boyens' explaination. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <BR>“One of the things Tolkien understood, because he was a [Christian] humanist,” Boyens noted, “is that we all fail, and we have the ability within us to fail. Faith requires us to believe in a higher power. Gandalf very early on in the book says, ‘The ring came to Bilbo and in that moment something else was at work.’ Not the [ring’s] designer, the maker, this evil power, but some other power was at work. So it’s whether you believe in that or not, whether you choose to believe in that or not.” <P>In order to underscore her point, she referred to a key plot point. (Warning: If you don’t know how the story ends, you might want to skip the last paragraph.) <P>“Frodo dragged himself to that point and failed. And another power intervened,” Boyens said. Then, referring to the end of Frodo’s life in Middle Earth, Boyen added, “He ultimately surrenders to that power at the end of this movie, which is one of the most beautiful moments in the movie.” <BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The entire article can be found <A HREF="http://www.ncregister.com/current/NCRWEB/lead1.htm" TARGET=_blank>here</A>.<p>[ 12:18 PM December 20, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 12-20-2003, 11:21 AM   #34
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> “Frodo dragged himself to that point and failed. And another power intervened,” Boyens said. Then, referring to the end of Frodo’s life in Middle Earth, Boyen added, “He ultimately surrenders to that power at the end of this movie, which is one of the most beautiful moments in the movie.” <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P><BR>Whoa! That's an extremely interesting quote from Boyens. I would not have suspected that kind of subtlety. And while I don't feel Frodo would have expressed himself in exactly those terms, it does line up with what Tolkien said in his Letters about Frodo's continuing temptation from the Ring, his shame over what he'd done (or rather what he had been unable to do), and his latent desire to have been the hero rather than a mere instrument of Providence. None of that, of course, is alluded to directly in the film.<P>Still, Tolkien's Frodo never came quite that far towards healing. In the Letters, Tolkien says he's not sure if Frodo would find peace within the circles of this world, even within the blessed realm of the West. And that seems in keeping with the author's personality -- the way he vacillated between hope and sadness (dare I say despair?).<P>Yet, I have to admit that when I saw Frodo's smile at the end of the movie, it was the scene I found most poignant. To me it said that somehow, someway, Frodo was going to be alright. And I guess I wanted to know that. I don't think I'm the only one to feel that way. There are many fanfictions written about Frodo's time in the West, but never have I seen one where Frodo remains as broken and despairing as he did in the Shire with his periodic illnesses. <P>Despite what JRRT said in the Letters, most readers even come away from the book with the feeling that Frodo will indeed be healed. The author seems to give us a hint of reassurance when the Elven ship approaches the shores of Tol Rressea and Tolkien describes what Frodo saw --- <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Whenever I read these beautiful words, I can't hope but feel that Frodo is going to be alright. Of course, in the movie, similar lines were given to Gandalf in his discussion with Pippin in Minas Tirith, so they couldn't be used at the end of the movie (as they might have done in a voiceover). So perhaps Frodo's smile is meant to reassure us in the same way that Tolkien did in his brief but poignant description of the shores of the Blessed Lands.<p>[ 1:42 PM December 20, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 12-20-2003, 11:35 AM   #35
Alucard

Sting

Wow, that explanation was great. Thanks for posting that mark12_30.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:32 PM   #36
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought he was magnificent. i was really surprised because after TTT i was expecting him to be bad. The way he looked at the Sammath Naur was just perfect.<P>i wasn't really that fond of the Grey Havens and i would have liked to see him more aged.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:58 AM   #37
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I agree with Faenduial that Elijah's performance in ROTK was the strongest. At the cracks of doom his acting was just perfect. He really got to the climax and made it a true climax to remember story and acting wise.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:49 AM   #38
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Child: <P>Your point about Tolkien's stated uncertainty regarding Frodo's healing is well taken. Keep in mind the difference between healing and surrender. While they often go together, it's not necessarily so. The understanding that Frodo surrendered still leaves room for the Professor's doubt whether he will be healed *<I>in this life</I>*. (Of course, I want him to be!) What the surrender gives us, however (and I believe that doctrinally Tolkien would have held this same confidence) is that even if he is not healed in *this* life, it means that he certainly will be healed in eternity.<P>Weighing eternity in the balance, that quite satisfies me.<P>Boyen's comments have repeatedly amazed me since I read them, and made my third viewing all the more poignant. I'm very glad she was on the project. (!!!!!!*10**5)<p>[ 9:04 AM December 23, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 12-23-2003, 09:30 AM   #39
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I agree with those whose opinions are that Wood played Frodo best in this film (RotK). I think it was in large measure due to the Tolkien-authored buildup over the course of the three movies: the emotion, determination, sacrifice, and at the end, the refusal to "do this thing." That is pure Tolkien, and PJ stayed with a winner.<P>Speaking of PJ, I disagree with the thought that Frodo's rejection of Sam is in any way a minor departure from Tolkien. Did the book story need more drama? NO. It was like the last straw for me. I had endured so many major and minor of his 'improvements' over Tolkien throughout the movies up to that point, that <I>at the Cracks of Doom, my only thought was, "PJ is not going to have Frodo decide to keep the Ring! Damn him!"</I> It nearly totally destroyed the scene for me. I will have to watch it again in the hope that, now that I know how it was actually done in the movie, I will not react in a PJ-instigated Pavlovian response. (<I>"See how he obeys--like a whipped cur!"</I>)<P>RE Frodo looking weary on his return to the Shire: I do not recall that from the book. I think the movie portrayed well Frodo's sense of alienation. Once the Scouring of the Shire was completed, Frodo just wanted to blend into the background, but he also thought he should be acclaimed in some way by those he saved and for whom he sacrificed so much. And it seemed to him that few appreciated it, and fewer were interested in any of his story. <P>So I do not think it was so much a weariness or aging, but this alienation, and the recurrence of the wounds that drove him to seek departure with the elves.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:59 AM   #40
Tintalle
Pile O'Bones

Location: At the Gates of Morannon, waiting for the Great Battle
Tintalle has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I think Elijah Wood did an excellent job!! I liked him best here. I liked the part where he was hanging over the pit and you can see it in his eyes he wanted to let go (or maybe it's just my illsuion )and Sam reaching out his hand. Terrific!! <P>As for the part that he, finding the strength to run, my theory is after fighting Gollum, he just got envigorated by it, knowing that someone who coveted the ring that bad was close. (And correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere in the book that Frodo, getting weak as he got to Mordor, became somewhat stronger when Gollum tried to get the ring from him ... it's like instinct?) Oh well, I love Elijah's performance here. Bravo!