The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sauron's Hroa and the Missing Finger

Hi all,
This is probably garbage but I was wondering. when Saurons physical body in it's final iteration is described, the general consensus is that it is basically the same as his penultimate body (the one he had when he faced Isildur) minus the finger Isildur cut off. My question is as follows, does anyone else think it is possible that the reason they looked the same is that they were the same. That is that when Isildur cut the ring for Sauron it drove the fea from his body ("killed him") but did not destroy said body, and the time it took for sauron to gain enough power to "grow a new one" was really the time it took for him to gain enough strenght to re-occupy the old one. Sauron had many loyal followers at the Battle with Isildur; in the confusion they could have borne his body away somewhere safe. And since we do not really know how "human" Saurons body was, It's a little hard to say how subject it would be to the ravages of decay in his fea's absence. My question would be sort of as follows, if Sauron did build himself a new body from scratch, why would he 1. make it just like the previos one (which had already proved to be defeatable) and 2. leave his hand damaged. if he could grow a new body he could presumably grown a new finger. The concept that he kept it missing as a reminder seems a bit tenuous (Sauron would need no reminder that he did not have the Ring) and it would seem that one would want all ones fingers for day to day activities. Besides if he ever did get back the ring, one would assume he would have liked somewhere to put it (with him wearing the nine mortal rings and the four dwarven rings, plus possibly the three eleven rings (if his post ring recovery plan involve taking them for his own as well after her conquered the elves.) one would think his nine remaining fingers would be running short of room. Unless we are to belive that, if he ever got his hands on the One ring again its first effect would be to cause his missing finger to re-sprout then. Also re-occupying a pre existing body would likey take less strength (which Sauron was running short of) than making a brand new one. at least that's my opinion.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote