The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Eowyn and the Nazgul Challenge Submissions on The ArtOrder

One of my facebook friends (not a BDer!) recently posted a link to some incredible artwork and I thought it would be appreciated over here.

A website called The ArtOrder (which caters to sci-fi/fantasy illustrators) put together a challenge last month for artists to submit their interpretation of Eowyn confronting the Witch King. More details about the challenge here.

The deadline was last night and already the submissions have been posted...160 of them. There are some amazing submissions, so check it out!

I like a lot of the pieces, though if I had to pick a top five, it would be these (not in order):

Adam Schumpert
Ben Guldemond
Chase Stone
Craig J Spearing
Tiziano Baracchi

Feel free to comment, list your favourites, or even share your own interpretation of the scene.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Hey, interesting thing to share, Brinn!

I must say, it is really interesting to see all of these next to each other - the same scene over and over again in different interpretations. Of course, often many of them are very similar to each other, but the more interesting to me are some of the more "original" ones. If it came to those I like the most, however, I think unfortunately often the most original ones lack the artistic quality, or are in some way "unfinished" (i.e.: I mean that their potential is not used so well as it possibly could).

One of them is for example this one by Alan Dyson - I liked it on first sight, the idea of being only faced by the Nazgul and the Nazgul being present there only as a shadow. Maybe if the shadow was made more menacing... similar thing goes in this one by Dagmara Matuszak, I like the fact that the WK is there only as the eyes, basically, rather "by-the-way".

Quite specific is John Hodgson's, I think the characters are quite ugly, but I like the sort of "set-up" of the picture, also with the Eye being present. Again: I can think of so much more that could have been made out of this...

Of those Brinn had pointed out, I quite like them too, mostly, especially I think once again Baracchi's is quite interesting, in the sense that it is almost the only one where the WK is smaller (in terms of how much space it takes on the picture; or also lower) than Éowyn. At least on first sight it sort of struck me, now that I am looking at it for severalth time, it isn't so interesting anymore.

I like these for the style, and they are quite beautiful: Erin Kelso (yet another interesting idea) and Herman Lau.

Those which I simply "like", as in, simply "aesthetically nice", I would say these: Diego de Almeida, Joshua Kratochvil, Rob Sample, and possibly Vuk Kostic. And I really like David moonchild Demaret's, especially the Nazgul's eyes. Really well done.

Generally, I think there are many nice ones, but many of them fall into the "color vs. color" scheme (which is not necessarily bad, but it depends how well it's done) or "yet another way to picture a dragon" scheme (which I don't like at all. It is not supposed to be an illustration for "Dragon" entry into Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manual v. 4.5, but "Creature of an Older World").

As a final note, I don't like so much the rest of the picture of Sands Gonzaga as a whole (or, the Nazgul is fine, but Éowyn looks slightly out of his mind, for that matter), but the eyes (??!) on the Nazgul's cloak (?!?) are really cool. Otherwise, when I look at the picture, I have to think "Hashirama vs. Madara" (for those who know what I am talking about).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Cool pics!

I rather like this one by Christopher West. It is close to what I imagined the scene to be like, excet that Eowyn is *not* supposed to be wearing a helmet.

I like Dannie Borg as well. The WK's face is a bit odd, though - it seems to be slightly glowing.

Herman Lau seems to think that the reason Eowyn fought the Wk was because he cheated on her...

Applause to Roger Seward for originality!

Overall, I think that the artwork was too modernized. I can't help being picky about that. Some pictures were really good, but others... erm...

Like Legate said, quite few seem to just illustrate the "dragon", which isn't one at that. Or the WK looks like a Dementor. Or Eowyn is applying some Kung-Fu technique.

It might just be me, though, because I am prejudiced against "computernized" art, something that many pictures seem to be...
Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
This is great Brinniel, thanks for posting it.

I was wondering quite a bit at the heavy "movie" influence in the submissions, until I saw that stills were supplied as reference material. Very skillful and dynamic artwork there though, with a high emotive content. While most did an excellent job portraying a female heroine, it was quite amusing to see that some of the artists played that up a bit too much! Rather takes away from the impact.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thanks for sharing Brinn! My favourite might be the one by Chase Stone - simply because I like the realism of Éowyn's blood-stained clothes and hair. A gory detail, for sure, but one overlooked by many other artists. Also, Éowyn looks the way she should in this one, not like a man or a Xena-style babe (or worse, Rubens-style babe!) But funnily this made me feel like drawing or painting the scene myself... crazy.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde Bracegirdle View Post
While most did an excellent job portraying a female heroine, it was quite amusing to see that some of the artists played that up a bit too much! Rather takes away from the impact.
re: this and Thinlomien's equally adroit Rubens comment, ha ha ha

This, for instance http://theartorder.com/wp-content/up...ni-Aledin1.jpg

reminds me rather disconcertingly of this

which I think is interesting, as actually the same archetype is at work (as seen also in Perseus and Andromeda) - hero riding winged monster plus girl plus threatening monster. It's just that Tolkien (who we know was a bit ambiguous about chivalric legend etc post 1066) has done his usual ton of inverting (as with Eowyn, the "knight", winning Faramir, the "rescued damsel") - so the winged rider is now malign and the damsel and rescuing hero are - plus the obligatory hobbit - simultaneous...

I always find the place of the headless Nazgul interesting in these too, and am a bit underwhelmed by all of the living, non-beheaded creatures shown here, many of which look to me too slavishly based on the film anyway. It's important to remember that this encounter involved two dead steeds, matching their two dead kings.

Last edited by Anguirel; 05-18-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: sorry had no idea the rather distasteful picture was so BIG
Anguirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Interesting stuff there; thanks for the links, Brinn!

I have to second Lommy on the Chase Stone version; this one comes closest to how I imagine the scene, and it does give me that Merry feeling - "She should not die, so fair, so desperate! At least she should not die alone, unaided."

I also like Erin Kelso's art nouveau version, and for originality and hilarity, Jason Pruett's comic strip style rendition (the Witch-King looks remarkably like Bart Simpson there, doesn't he?)

What puzzles me is that a lot of the Éowyns turn their backs on the Witch-King; I don't think I'd find that a good idea in their place. It's most absurd in Herman Lau's version, which is pretty but looks like WiKi is trying to seduce her (and look! pretty butterflies!).

The price for the most original choice of medium has to go to Joseph Wu's origami version.

Nice comments on that Dini-Aledin-picture, Ang (but leave Rubens out of it, people - she's much too skinny)! Not much camouflage on that Dernhelm; made me think of a dialogue like this:
Quote:
Éowyn: "But no living man am I! You look upon a woman."
WiKi: "Indeed? I'd never have guessed!"
And I suppose we'd better not think too deeply about the Freudian symbolism of the beheaded monster with its long, serpentine stump of a neck...
Old 05-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Nice comments on that Dini-Aledin-picture, Ang (but leave Rubens out of it, people - she's much too skinny)! Not much camouflage on that Dernhelm; made me think of a dialogue like this:
And I suppose we'd better not think too deeply about the Freudian symbolism of the beheaded monster with its long, serpentine stump of a neck...
Haha while my unrelated thoughts were about it looks like Éowyn was having that time of the month, and rather messily...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
What puzzles me is that a lot of the Éowyns turn their backs on the Witch-King; I don't think I'd find that a good idea in their place. It's most absurd in Herman Lau's version, which is pretty but looks like WiKi is trying to seduce her (and look! pretty butterflies!).
I though a bit about that. The only logical explanation (and it relys on that oh so risky "things we weren't told about" specualtion) would be if Eowyn already thought the WK was dead/disabled. Say if she had actually leaped for the intital attack (against the winged beast) and decapitated it while it was still off the ground, so that the WK actually fell, or if the dying beast had partially fallen on him. Knowing (now, thanks to what the WK said) the prophecy, Eowyn might have assumed that the fall itself (or being trapped under the beast) had been the WK end/incapacitated him (the old "chosen one can kill the bad guy with one blow thing). Eowyn might very well then turn her attention to the king, (who is, after all, still alive) to render him aid (maybe even try and get Snowmane's corpse off him). The WK coud then have gotten up without her knowing (the fact that while uncloaked he can almost pass as undectable save emotionally has always made me think that, when he wishes, he can move quite quietly and on a noisy battlefield, hearing someones armor clink might be difficult even at close range, if he is even wearing heavy armor (since he as far as he knew he was invicible, his armor may have been light to nonexistant. The fact that all that is left after he is dead is the crown and a cloak (as opposed to a crown, cloak, set of armor etc.) seems to give some credence to this) and have been planning to deliver his blow while Eowyns back was turned (He's a bad guy after all, there's no reason to assume he feels any need to fight fair. And since he also knows the nature of the prophecy (and hence he is sort of vulnerable) he may be being a bit more cautious than he normally would be). Eowyn may have only become aware the WK was still alive and whirled around at the last minute (Indeed had the WK not decided to say something before he delivered the blow, she might not have turned around in time). The blow that broke her shield and arm may have been a deflecting blow, the WK may not have been aiming for that (given he had a mace he was probably going for her head/face to brain her. The idea of having her helpless before him may have appealed to him, but that does not neccecarily mean he had not orginally planned to kill her in one blow.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Mmm, I think I prefer the "rom-wraith" love affair take...
Old 05-19-2011, 02:52 AM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
I though a bit about that. The only logical explanation (and it relys on that oh so risky "things we weren't told about" specualtion) would be if Eowyn already thought the WK was dead/disabled. ..
Full marks for trying to rationalise this one but I am not convinced the more logical explanation isn't that most artists prefer an aesthetic arrangement to following exactly what happens in the book which doesn't really leave much scope for Eowyn to turn her attention to the ( king who anyway is under Snowmane and the Fell beast ridden by the WK lands on Snowmane). Merry is alongside the Nazgul and Eowyn/Dernhelm is "A little to the left facing them". So when the fell beast takes off it is infront of her and she kills it with a swift stroke. It can't have been so high up and it would be a foolish assumption to assume that the WK was no longer a thread due to such a relatively short fall - no doubt the rest of the beast fell as like a stone as its head.

I know there are lots of things that must have happened or existed that we aren't told about but since Tolkien has the time to tell us how the light fell about her I think he would have time to tell us if she turned when she sprang back. The WK doesn't actually speak before he strikes - he cries as he strikes - and the king is the far side of him. Since earlier Eowyn raised her shield "agains't the horror of her enemy's eyes" either she would have risen it again or perhaps it was still up - as far as I am concerned this is all in the time frame of seconds. I don't see that the WK would have messed around with a slow kill like a cat with a mouse. Eowy protecte her head with her shield first time - That shatters, her arm breaks and she is forced to her knees and she must be facing forward to deliver the coup de grace.

It isn't impossible she turned and turned back and there is a certain amount of upper body movement with any sword strike but it just seems to be unlikely incomparison to a bit of artistic licence in subject placement. I am not too worried.. Tolkien based art almost always leaves me cold - the pictures in the words are always better for me....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Guys, look at Eowyn's left hand in Lau's picture...
Old 05-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Waht the fact that she looks as if she is struggling to decide if she should give him the Agincourt salute or instruct him to live long and prosper?

Also you do have to wonder about the rest of the riders of Rohan given she was meant to pass for a man - that chainmail clings like it was made of Spandex.

I like the Eowyn in the Craig Spearing pic. Brin links to - really captures the sense that this girl knows what she is doing with a sword and she isn't conspiculously Miranda Otto.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 05-19-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Tolkien based art almost always leaves me cold - the pictures in the words are always better for me....
Isn't that the truth!
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:34 AM   #15
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
I though a bit about that. The only logical explanation (and it relys on that oh so risky "things we weren't told about" specualtion) would be if Eowyn already thought the WK was dead/disabled. Say if she had actually leaped for the intital attack (against the winged beast) and decapitated it while it was still off the ground, so that the WK actually fell, or if the dying beast had partially fallen on him. Knowing (now, thanks to what the WK said) the prophecy, Eowyn might have assumed that the fall itself (or being trapped under the beast) had been the WK end/incapacitated him (the old "chosen one can kill the bad guy with one blow thing). Eowyn might very well then turn her attention to the king, (who is, after all, still alive) to render him aid (maybe even try and get Snowmane's corpse off him). The WK coud then have gotten up without her knowing (the fact that while uncloaked he can almost pass as undectable save emotionally has always made me think that, when he wishes, he can move quite quietly and on a noisy battlefield, hearing someones armor clink might be difficult even at close range, if he is even wearing heavy armor (since he as far as he knew he was invicible, his armor may have been light to nonexistant. The fact that all that is left after he is dead is the crown and a cloak (as opposed to a crown, cloak, set of armor etc.) seems to give some credence to this) and have been planning to deliver his blow while Eowyns back was turned (He's a bad guy after all, there's no reason to assume he feels any need to fight fair. And since he also knows the nature of the prophecy (and hence he is sort of vulnerable) he may be being a bit more cautious than he normally would be). Eowyn may have only become aware the WK was still alive and whirled around at the last minute (Indeed had the WK not decided to say something before he delivered the blow, she might not have turned around in time). The blow that broke her shield and arm may have been a deflecting blow, the WK may not have been aiming for that (given he had a mace he was probably going for her head/face to brain her. The idea of having her helpless before him may have appealed to him, but that does not neccecarily mean he had not orginally planned to kill her in one blow.
I mean, really elaborate explanation, but I have a much better explanation, only in one sentence: it is art. It is not supposed to show realism in that picture, it is only showing the protagonists, and solving the problem that you cannot have both people facing the observer. Here you have. Artistic license.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #16
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
"Still she did not blench: maiden of the Rohirrim, child of
kings, slender but as a steel-blade, fair yet terrible."

Too many of these have a blenching look about them.
I'd like to see one where she is standing up straight, calling Wiki a foul dwimmerlaik to his face and laughing defiantly...as Tolkien has her do.
Like Mith, I prefer the Spearing. Partly because it shows her doing what was I believe her main aim...defending the body of her beloved uncle from being despoiled.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #17
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Like Mith, I prefer the Spearing. Partly because it shows her doing what was I believe her main aim...defending the body of her beloved uncle from being despoiled.
Yes, Spearing's drawing looks rather nice. At least Eowyn: the Wiki is a bit weird.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #18
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes the floating eyes don't quite do it for me - I think maybe they are a bit low for where they should be if he had a visible head? but Eowyn is pretty much spot on.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #19
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I think that if you could combine the Eowyn in Spearing's picture and the Nazgul in this one, you'd get a pretty good picture.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #20
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

The crown seems too low again and too much like a spinning top or a littleUFO! I think maybe I like Seward's reflected WK best of them.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #21
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
The crown seems too low again and too much like a spinning top or a littleUFO! I think maybe I like Seward's reflected WK best of them.
I sort of depends. Not all crowns sit at the same level on the head, if the crown is the sort where it sits just above the eyes the eyes are sort of in the right place in the Spearing picture. In the other one It look to me like the perspective may be tilted somewhat upwards (say if you imagine the person seeing this is behind the WK, on his knees, or it's Merry) Also the WK cloak in that one looks as if it has some collar to it (or the rumpled down wrinkles of a hood) so the top of the cloth may be some distance above where the actual neck would be particualry in the back (where we are seeing from).

What I have some problem with in the Spearing picture is the winged beast. Aside from the fact it has a very thick (and rather short) neck, the armor it is wearing appears to be a series of linked plates. With that kind of armor, Eowyn would have to have the strength of Hercules to actually send the beasts head flying (think about the kind of upper body strength needed in old time executioners to cut through an ordinary human neck in one stroke). She could cut the head free, of course, but her sword would bounce against either the plate itself or the links between the plates and those links would keep the head more or less in place. If it moved at all, it would simply flop down and hang there (and given where Eowyn is standing, if it did that, Eowyn would likey get the head full in the chest (correction, in the back over the head) and be knocked sprawling)

Last edited by Alfirin; 05-20-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #22
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I like the winged beast here. I don't, however, like the Wiki and Eowyn.