The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies > Sequence-by-Sequence
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
LotR3-RotK-Seq22

Technique and ability alone do not get you to the top; it is the willpower that is the most important. This willpower you cannot buy with money or be given by others…it rises from your heart. - Junko Tabei, first woman to climb Mount Everest.

Sam recovers a bit as he lies on the side of Orodruin. He seeks out and finds Frodo, who also lies still. He looks up at the mountain and sees the senselessness of climbing further. Lie down, Sam old boy, and rest. That mountain’s too big for ya. He’s not sure what to do next, and so does what he does best - care for Frodo. He talks of the Shire to his Master, who now can remember nothing of strawberries or grass, neither the taste or touch. Frodo raspily states that nothing now is between him and the Wheel of Fire and that he can see Him (Sauron) with his waking eyes (Is He an Eye, or does He have a body?). Frodo’s tortured in both mind and body. His voice, unlike Sam’s, is more of what you’d expect after their ordeal. Not that I can fault PJ for having his actors speak when by all accounts they cannot due to lack of water etc. Sam’s makeup is great, and when he speaks he tears up (again, that moisture thing) but it only adds to the moment.

Sam, hearing his Master’s suffering, finds new strength to put an end to the pain. His words, however, are a bit unSam-like. “Then let us be rid of it…once and for all.” I’m having a hard time swallowing the lettuce part.

Anyway, Sam starts freaking out about carrying Frodo as he cannot carry the Ring, not that, to me, it would make much difference here. Sam hoists Frodo on his shoulder, not pig-a-back, and starts his climb up Mount Doom. I couldn’t tell if Sam left his bones behind or not.

By the by, what exactly are those slow-falling flaming things that drop out of Orodruin? Why do they fall slowly?

Back outside the Morannon, Aragorn’s and Sauron’s armies prepare for battle. The orcs are uncharacteristically well-ordered, and I suppose are either awaiting orders or are on a break. Aragorn gets a call from Sauron, and the Eye says, “Elessar.” Not sure what this means. Gandalf, when Aragorn turns back to look upon his friends, waves his hand. Is Gandalf casting some spell? Dunno.

Aragorn seems to be saddened when we see his face. Why? Does he now believe that Frodo failed? Does he think that his chances of having a life with Arwen (or Éowyn ) over? Regardless, he says that this one's for Frodo, and he rushes off to battle, followed by the rest of the army. Does anyone keep the orcs from also rushing from behind? And does anyone else see in Merry and Pippin’s charge Franjean and Rool as they take on Queen Bavmorda?

This is it. Either Sauron or Aragorn (the line of Elendil) ends this day.