The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2003, 02:49 PM   #81
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

The old ones were good. Spunky and fun and creative and funny, and the romance was actually romantic. However, with the exception of Ewan MacGregor's performance, in general I think the more recent ones are lame.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:38 PM   #82
Adutincowen
Pile O'Bones

Adutincowen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think that Star Wars has a very cool concept (Yoda is my favorite). I think that the originals are the best, but these new ones aren't that bad. truth is, they can't really compete with LotR, movies or books.

*~Adutincowen Whitetree~*
Adutincowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:05 PM   #83
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

I couldn't help noticing what another person said...
Quote:
my love for SW and my love for LotR is much the same as between coke and tea. The former is a good jazz; the latter is a near-spiritual experience.
... it pretty much sums up how I feel about it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I love StarWars and my dorm room is pretty much floor to ceiling StarWars paraphenelia (I even own a life-sized cardboard standup of Han Solo), but LOTR was my first love and I somehow feel like the popularity it's gotten recently has made it more "coke" than "tea".

I love both, but I'd rather be an elf than a jedi [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #84
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Though it is about space, I think I'd like it. But not having seen the films I can't say anything. There have been some recent discovery(ies) of a planet that has two suns that proved some of Star Wars' fictional stuff may be true. Though the connection of the fiction of SW got me curious about the movies, I haven't been able to watch them. Shrug!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #85
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I was a Star Wars fan before I ever read LOTR, so in short, yes. Being a Gen Xer I'm most fond of the original trilogy, and Empire has got to be one of the best films ever made.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #86
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
SW should be watched, LOTR should be read. I can't look at SW books without wincing and I can't really watch the LOTR movies without that either.

PS: good point about coke and tea. Very true. SW is good mild/passing entertainment. LOTR is no less entertaining, but requires a much geater emotional investment from the reader and gives much more back in return.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #87
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
SW should be watched, LOTR should be read. I can't look at SW books without wincing and I can't really watch the LOTR movies without that either.
Very true!

I read the Star Wars novelization in my teens and found it boring. Without the stunning visuals, it came off as mediocre, and rather forgettable story-wise. That's a demonstration of success by a story idea in one presentation medium not carrying over to another. SW was meant as a movie, and was highly effective as such.

It need hardly be said that I think the same true of the LOTR films, whatever the box office takings. There are nuances and ethereal feelings gained from reading the books that cannot (by me at least) be described, much less transcribed.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #88
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Love Star Wars. I liked Death Star by Michael Reaves.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #89
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I would rather jab a rusted fork in my eye than watch another Star Wars film.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #90
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I was a Star Wars fan before I ever read LOTR, so in short, yes. Being a Gen Xer I'm most fond of the original trilogy, and Empire has got to be one of the best films ever made.
I watched what's now called Star Wars IV: A New Hope when it originally came out, being then a child, then V and VI. The Empire Strikes Back was for me the best of those three; so I agree with you there, Inziladun. Return of the Jedi wasn't bad; but I still can't understand how a bunch of Ewocks could defeat a legion of Imperial troops... While I enjoy those three, I-III I don't care much for; as I feel there was no attempt to write a proper story. For example, why would the people of a planet vote for a 14 year old as their head of state?
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #91
Yregwyn
Animated Skeleton

Yregwyn has just left Hobbiton.
I have read from up to the series when Jacen turned into Darth Cadius {spelling?}. I used to be totally hooked on Star Wars books that was ALL i would read. My brother had been watching The legend of the Seeker show and bought Wizards 1st Rule,Stone of Tears, and Blood of the Fold because of it, he never reads no idea why he bought them haha. Anyway i was finished with all the Star Wars that had been wrote up till then so i borrowed Wiz 1st Rule, if you have ever read that book then you know what happend. I had to read them all, so the SOT series got me off of Star Wars back into other Fantasy. I had read Hobbit through ROTK when i was in 8th grade and the Drizzt series up to The Legacy thats aout it. Richard Rahl saved me!! 'Lord Rahl for Emperor'!!!!! Back to the subject yes Star Wars is cool but LOTR is better especially the 1st age stories. I am actually finishing the Third Kingdom i should finish it tonight.(if i get off the computer) lol, I would really recommend the Vector Prime to start with if you havent read many and want jump to the future of the Solo/Skywalker family, not to meantion a awesome storyline with like 15 books in it. Total invasion of the solar system and all. They will make say u wait a minute that cant happen.
Fingolfin.....He passed over Dor-nu-fauglith like wind amid dust, and all that beheld his onslaught fled in amaze, thinking Orome himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar.

Last edited by Yregwyn; 07-29-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Yregwyn is offline   Reply With Quote