The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-29-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
I don't think Bilbo wanted to get married. I think he would have if he had never gone on the adventure in the Hobbit. His adventure led him to view the world differently and I think marriage never appeared to be something he would need or want after that adventure. As for Frodo, he was not ever going to have a family after the destruction of the ring. I think he knew this when he became the ring bearer. He knew he would never get a family by taking on that task.
Are you saying that Bilbo already had had enough, having faced one Dragon?

Quote:
I would also like to point out that this thread is from 2002.
Time is an artificial construct for some of us.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post

tchnically time is artificial for ALL of us... by the way you divorced?

Bilbo battled goblins trolls and dragons.... and then had to deal with the sacksville bagginses of course he was swamped, plus all the hobbit women thought he was a weirdy
Old 05-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Yes. I am saying he had already had enough by facing one dragon, goblins, elves, and more. I doubt he was in the mood for marriage when it came down to it after all that. Plus when he left on his adventure he was not exactly a young hobbit. If I remember correctly he was in his thirties or forties (correct me if I am wrong).

Quote:
I know it is an artificial construct. The thing is I am still young, I have yet to get to that part of life where time seems to fly by.
Hakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
tchnically time is artificial for ALL of us... by the way you divorced?
Nope. On the contrary, I'm very happily married. Just playing up to the typical husband stereotypes.

And I too lost my ring for a while. Also got it stuck in the gears of a car seat, and it got somewhat mutilated; luckily a goldsmith could fix it.

Note that we considered getting each other LotR-like rings, but this is way before the movies, and so no one knew what we were talking about, so we got something else (see attached).

Quote:
Bilbo battled goblins trolls and dragons.... and then had to deal with the sacksville bagginses of course he was swamped, plus all the hobbit women thought he was a weirdy
That I can get. Though even the geekiest guy can be in love with another, even if that love is not returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon
I know it is an artificial construct. The thing is I am still young, I have yet to get to that part of life where time seems to fly by.
The story is that, while commuting, I was listening to LotR via audio book, and started thinking about Frodo's life before he left the Shire, and then wondered if he was warm to some Hobbit lass or two, or if this was even on his mind at the time (Sackville-Bagginses married quite young), and so thought about starting a new thread, posing the question. Before doing so, I figured that I had better search to see if this was already discussed - it was.

As you noted, the thread was from 2002. We are currently (methinks) in 2009. To get back to when the thread was fresh, I would need to create a ripple in time-space. By my calculations, this could be achieved by exploding the sun (and maybe Mercury, depending if you round up or down).

I could then be back in 2002 and participate in the thread. Good for me; bad for all of you in 2009 (if you ever see a message from me stating that you should stock up on batteries, can goods and warm clothing, and to dump all of your stock in sun tan lotion...). Hopefully, back in 2002 I would know not to explode the sun in 2009.

Or I could just resurrect this thread.

Anyway, I was just thinking about the Baggins' genes, and that Bilbo and Frodo never lived a domestic life.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ring.jpg (53.6 KB, 473 views)
Old 05-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
That I can get. Though even the geekiest guy can be in love with another, even if that love is not returned.
That is true. The thing is that Bilbo is a creature of habit, we see that in the Hobbit. I think that after one massive adventure he was ready to just go back to his routine. He did not want to change that routine he wanted to keep it the same after his massive adventure.

About that ring, it does sort of look like the one ring only much fancier.
Hakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Good idea to revive this thread, Alatar!
Quote:
I started thinking about Frodo's life before he left the Shire, and then wondered if he was warm to some Hobbit lass or two, or if this was even on his mind at the time (Sackville-Bagginses married quite young)
I had been contemplating this too, especially after reading some fanfictions...

But I think Frodo was always an exceptional hobbit, already long before the quest (probably through all that he had been taught by Bilbo). There was always a longing in him for something higher.
Quote:
Frodo went tramping all over the Shire with them; but more often he wandered by himself, and to the amazement of sensible folk he was sometimes seen far from home walking in the hills and woods under the starlight. Merry and Pippin suspected that he visited the Elves at times, as Bilbo had done.
I guess there were just no hobbit lasses around that would have been a match for Frodo, that would have understood him!

And look at this quote:
Quote:
‘I should like to save the Shire, if I could - though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them.
Well, considering this opinion he could hardly find anyone in the Shire to fall in love with!

On the other hand, when Frodo greets Goldberry, he behaves almost a bit like someone falling in love...
Quote:
‘Fair lady Goldberry!’ said Frodo at last, feeling his heart moved with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange.
And after the quest, he's too estranged and damaged anyway, poor Hobbit!