The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2002, 04:21 PM   #41
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Lanniae of the Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Gollumelfpup<P>Glad you don't hate Gandalf. It's not possible. it's not right. You can't even think he's a sour old man, that's just how the Istari are. They were put on middle earth to help the mortals/imortals. They had a lot of extra knowledge and knew a lot of what was to come, and if you did everything they did, if you thought everything they did, if you could even get as stressed as an Istari, you would be sour and grumpy, too! <P>Piosenniel, perhaps you dont' like Gandalf, or maybe you just can see the other sides of situations really well, but just stop and think about what would have happened if Gandalf DIDN'T meddle in M.E.'s affairs! <P>(Kinda like teenagers DO need parents, otherwise the world would be hell for them AND everyone they run into! ...and i'm a teen!)<P>Gandalf ROCKS!<P>(Next to Boromir, of course!)<P>--Lanniae
Old 05-09-2002, 04:23 PM   #42
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Woo! I'm the 1st person on the 2nd page! Go me, guys!
Old 05-09-2002, 04:28 PM   #43
cookie_crazy
Haunting Spirit

cookie_crazy has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Boromir is just cool but I'm just like sooooo glad he didn't inherit any looks ffrom his father.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:11 PM   #44
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

Cookie -- i take it this means Denethor's a fright for sore eyes?<BR>(as well as a pod-person)<P>Ooh then... i shall be prepared to be very afraid when TT hits the screens...<P>s.t.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:18 AM   #45
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Sting

The sad thing is...<P>Boromir, Denethor, and Faramir (or the actors that play them) DO look like they could be...or ARE really related! It's scary!<P>I'll see if I can find some pics...<P>Okay, Boromir:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.lordoftherings.net/images/ca_sbean.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.lordoftherings.net/images/ca_sbean.jpg</A> <P>Faramir:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.lordoftherings.net/images/ca_dwenh.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.lordoftherings.net/images/ca_dwenh.jpg</A> <P>And Denethor:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.lordoftherings.net/images/ca_jnobl.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.lordoftherings.net/images/ca_jnobl.jpg</A> <P>Okay, so they're not the best pics, and I'm sure once we see TTT we'll agree that they DO at least look like they could be related. It's a very convincing cast choice. <P>...Unlike Liv Tyler and Hugo Weaving. (poofy lips, paper-thin lips...ack!)<P>--Lanniae
Old 05-10-2002, 10:40 AM   #46
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Totally off topic, but I just saw pics from the Fellowship game for X-box: so COOL!<P>anyways: <P>Here are some pics of Faramir:<P><A HREF="http://www.fantasyplanet.cz/lotr/picture_show.asp?id=1427&obr_url=../gfx%2Fpictures%5Fclanky%2Flotr%5Fgal%5Fvelky%5F200 2%5F4%5F2%5F12%5F3%5F42%2Ejpg" TARGET=_blank>Fantasy Planet: Faramir 1</A><P><A HREF="http://www.fantasyplanet.cz/lotr/picture_show.asp?id=1603&obr_url=../gfx%2Fpictures%5Fclanky%2Flotr%5Fgal%5Fvelky%5F200 2%5F4%5F16%5F10%5F38%5F26%2Ejpg" TARGET=_blank>Fantasy Planet: Faramir 2</A><P><A HREF="http://www.ringzone.net/images/movies/imageviewer_production.php?showid=324&groupid=36" TARGET=_blank>Ringzone</A><P>I haven't found any others of Denethor, and you can find a ton of Boromir anywhere.<P>On the Gandalf is grumpy thing, I think I would be too. He doesn't live anywhere permanently, he is trying to help Middle-earth like he supposed to (no small feat considering he didn't want to come to ME and face Sauron in the first place! (see UT: essay on wizards)), and all he finds no matter where he goes are people who dislike him because he tries to help! Think about it: the Shire, Gondor, Rohan...He's not well received no matter where he goes...
Old 05-11-2002, 07:41 AM   #47
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

First of all iwould like to apologize for the Gandalf thing cause i started it, i apologize again...Does anyone know when the Fellowship game will be release for the PC and anyone here plays the Card game?<P>
Old 05-11-2002, 08:16 AM   #48
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

Don't know about the PC game. I collect cards from both the I.C.E. and Decipher companies (the ICE ones are no longer made, and they're hard to find.) I saw pics from the X-box game, and now I have to buy an X-box!<P>And there's no need to apologize for anything. Actually, it was fun discussing this issue. <p>[ May 11, 2002: Message edited by: Nufaciel ]
Old 05-11-2002, 11:26 PM   #49
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

I thought of starting the LOTR card game therefore i need more imformation on that. Currently i am playing Magic The Gathering..been playing since 13. <BR>
Old 05-12-2002, 08:49 AM   #50
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

Go <A HREF="http://www.decipher.com/lordoftherings/index.html" TARGET=_blank>here.</A><P>This is the homepage for the card game.
Old 02-02-2003, 01:52 PM   #51
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For those of you Sean Bean fans, <A HREF="http://www.compleatseanbean.com/troy.html" TARGET=_blank>here</A> is an article about his possible next flim. His next project may be Troy in the part of the Greek hero Odysseus. Troy already has Orlando Bloom cast in the role of Paris.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:24 PM   #52
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I agree that Boromir was great and Sean Bean gave a wonderful performance! His death scene still brings tears to my eyes.<P>PJ & co. did a really good job of making Boromir a sympathetic character and showing how much he got along with Merry and Pippin. (Playing with them, carrying them up Caradhras, asking Aragorn to "give them a minute for pity's sake," defending them, etc.) <P>It seems like movie-Boromir was made more likeable while movie-Faramir was made *less* likeable, and so in the end they seem almost interchangeable. I'm not sure how I feel about that, because I approve the changes in Boromir but not in Faramir. On the rest of the movies forum, there are plenty of "I hate the changes in Faramir" posts but no "I hate the changes in Boromir" posts. Is it because we like having our favorite characters made more sypathetic and not less?<P>One thing I found interesting: on the writers' commentary on the DVD, Philippa (I think) says that the lyrics in the music for Boromir's death scene are straight from the book: "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Numenor." What she doesn't mention is that those lines are spoken, not by Boromir, but by Faramir. "It is long since we have had any hope" is another Faramir line that was given to Boromir. Both of these lines were spoken to Frodo at Henneth Annun. So if you're missing the part of TTT where Faramir behaves decently toward Frodo and Sam, those parts were given to his brother. Sort of a like a sympathy transplant from a compatible donor? <P>What do you think?<P>-Lily
Old 02-02-2003, 10:14 PM   #53
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

She does mention the lines are Faramir's.<P>You are right, Boromir and Faramir are closer together while in the book they're leagues apart. We'll have to wait for third movie, but I think the idea here is how choices define different peoples paths. I also think that it is wrong to say they are exactly alike. Even movie-Boromir would not have let Frodo and Sam go. He is far to loyal to his father.<P>I think the job they did with Boromir was awesome.<P>H.C.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:13 AM   #54
cookie_crazy
Haunting Spirit

cookie_crazy has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, Boromir is so much deeper in the book, he's got emotions just like all of the Fellowship. Just because he got corrupted doesn't mean that he led a bad life. Denethor is ugly, I think Faramir and Boromir just had to inherit looks from their mother. Faramir and Boromir DO look alike. It's freaky.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:08 AM   #55
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien

Oh my goodness I haven't posted since before TTT came out! Ah! <P>Yeah, the second movie was just amuck of sacrelige!!! That's all I have to say. <P>I agree the Steward brothers were much the same in the movies. Which was bad. Actually, they beefed up Boromir so much, and made Faramir look like such a dipsht, they almost went TOO far, and pushed each brother to opposite ends of the scale again. Hm. Maybe that's the wrong analogy. I'll write back again after school, when I've had time to think!<P>love<BR>Lanniae
Old 02-06-2003, 03:23 PM   #56
Aredhelaran
Animated Skeleton

Aredhelaran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Boromir is cool, especially because one plasce told me I was like him. But then again, at a different site I was Arwen...A little insulting to a boy like me.
Aredhelaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 04:11 PM   #57
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love when Boromir picks up the Ring on Caradhras. His fascination with the Ring and particularly how he is cut off from the rest of the world when he looks at the Ring is captivating, and the tension between him and Aragorn is wicked. The area on the mountain is very neat as well.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:52 PM   #58
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What's kind of funny about that scene is that they had to take a helicopter to the glacier where they shot it and Bean was scared out of his mind. He said the whole time while there, all he could think about was that he was going to have to ride the helicopter again to get down.<P>After the shot, Mortensen asked him if he was able to put the helicopter ride out of his mind while he was saying his lines. Bean said he never stopped thinking about it for a second, but as you've mentioned, he was great in the scene.<P>Sean Bean never took another helicopter ride after that.<P>H.C.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:10 PM   #59
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks to Arwen Imladris for bringing this thread up again! I contracts haven't been signed for 'Troy' last time I heardd, but Bean has been offered the part, and accepted it, pending contract negotiation.<P>I really admired the depth the writers gave Boromir in the movie. I never warmed up to him in the books - Faramir was my favorite Middle Earth guy! (Kind, discerning, compassionate, brave, scholarly...)<P>But back to Bo: For me, Sean Bean's characterization of his inner struggle with the Ring clarified a lot of what was written in the book about Boromir. I actually felt I understood this character more after seeing FOTR. <P>I do feel like a hypocrite for liking the changes made in Bean's Boromir, yet being upset at the changes in Faramir. Hopefully, we'll see F. behaving as Tolkien intended in ROTK. <P> --Alphaelin: Bean Buff since 1999.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:29 PM   #60
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

To add to my last post, Sean Bean has been onstage in London in 'MacBeth' since November. The runs ends...I *think*....March 1, 2003. <P>He looks mighty fine in this production, also. I got to go see it.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:03 PM   #61
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

Hmm... Bean wandering around the Known World of Golden-Age Greece, braving assorted mythical dangers far more insidious than Rings with minds of their own and taking 12 years to get home...<P>i'd stand in line to see that!<P>(i suppose i really should hurry up and go see Two Towers while it's still on the big screen while i'm at it)<P>s.t.<BR>(charter member of the Boromir Fan Club)<P>[ February 07, 2003: Message edited by: Saxony Tarn ]<P>Having now seen TTT -- i figured that if everyone else hated Faramir's portrayal i'd love it. Yep. Brothers Denethorsson all the way...<P>s.t.<p>[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: Saxony Tarn ]
Old 04-17-2003, 07:48 PM   #62
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Today, April 17th is Sean Bean's (Boromir) Birthday! Sean Bean was born on 17 April 1959 in Sheffield, England, UK . That makes him 44 today! Happy Birthday Sean!
Old 04-18-2003, 01:45 AM   #63
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>for those who haven`t read the book but watch the movie...you would think that Boromir is bad and ungly dude<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, I saw the movie before I read the book and I thought Boromir was the best guy in the entire thing (no, that's an overstatement, but still...). Of course, I'm also quite biased. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>He was very respectful of everyone (that whole thing in the movie "Gondor needs no King" was SO not Boromir in the books). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>After reading the books, I was extremely angered at this line. He was respectful and not so arrogant as to say something so... *growls*<P>As has already been said numerous times over in this thread, Sean Bean's portrayal was spectacular and the writing for this character was absolutely wonderful. I applaud them both once again.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Sean Bean never took another helicopter ride after that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So that was after the landslide he and Bloom were forced to wait out? They had to be airlifted out of there... by helicopter. <P>Though it's nearly 1:00AM on the 18th, happy 44th, Mr. Bean.<p>[ April 18, 2003: Message edited by: Rynoah, the Overly-Happy ]
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 04:56 AM   #64
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I already have those lotr.com pics on my desktop, along with about 200 others! Borimir is just the coolest. Sean Bean=verryyy good pick for playing him.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 04:58 AM   #65
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Actually Borimir was doubtful at first, and always refered to Aragorn's claims as something that 'would be difficult to prove', in a ,"Don't try to prove it or you might end up stealing my throne!" sort of way. Oh well! He's still the coolest
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #66
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
Boromir is the best!!!!!!! He died saving the little ones lifes for pity sakes!!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #67
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Heroes do not have to be lovable all the time. Boromir's one of them. I think he was slightly more arrogant in the books than in the movies. His death became redemption for him. If Aragorn, Frodo and Gandalf can forgive him, we must too.