The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2002, 11:34 PM   #1
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril Fav One-Shot

OK, here's a little something that I thought would be different...<BR>Throughout the film there are certain parts, one-shots, that I think are very well done. What I mean by "one-shot" is a part of the movie that happens in a blink of an eye from one view point (usually of a facial expression or random person).<BR>Here are some of my favorites - maybe they will help you to understand what I mean...<BR>1.) When the arrow wizzes part Elrond's head!<BR>2.) When the Fellowship has entered Lothlorien and are being held at arrow point, I love the shot of Legolas when he looks to see him aiming his arrow at elves just like him (a bit of irony).<BR>3.) Whenever the eye appeared!<P>These are the ones I can remember - but there are a lot of great moments like that, which can say a lot just by a flash of the actor's face. I saw the movie again last night & I remember picking these out, I can't remember the rest of them right now.<BR>Perhaps some of you will refresh my memory.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 11:44 PM   #2
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

Well, being of minimal vision, the one-shots I remember are likely longer than anyone else's. (I probably wouldn't catch most of them.) But here are the ones I did see.<P>Gandalf's face going from relieved to worried whn Frodo says "Wait, there is someting..."<P>Pippin right after Gandal calls him a "Fool of a Took" in Moria. (Poor lil' guy...)<P>Gandalf right before he falls at Kazad-dum.<P>Frodo crying at Amon Hen.<P>Frodo's face when he sees the Ring flying at him in Bree after he slipped. (Anyone else think that it was going to hit him?)<P>That's all I can remember. Mm, I'll have to go and get my memory refreshed soon (i.e., go see the movie again!)
Old 03-01-2002, 11:52 PM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

I forgot about the Frodo crying shot & I should have remembered that one because seeing a Hobbit cry is heart-breaking to me (it's sad )!<BR>I also enjoy the "proudfeet" Hobbit & the grumpy Hobbit that makes faces at Gandalf!<BR>HOW COULD I FORGET - the cute little Hobbit girl that is listening to Bilbo's story!
Old 03-02-2002, 12:23 AM   #4
Mereth'iel
Pile O'Bones

Mereth'iel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, this is an interesting thread idea! Hmmmm. I'd have to say:<P>1) When the camera pans out & you get a good look at the Shire for the first time.<P>2) When the older woman chuckles, then tries to frown, when Gandalf makes the fireworks off his cart for the kids.<P>3) The scene showing the Fellowship crossing over the top of the mountain in line.<P>4) Boromir's face when he learns who Aragorn is.<P>5) I agree with whoever said about the part with the arrows flying past Elrond's face- that was cool!<P>6) Gandalf right before he fell into shadow.<P>7) Frodo's face when he first beheld Arwen (while he was very ill & she was bathed in light)<P>8) Boromir's expression while he tried to talk Frodo out of the ring- so earnest!<P>Gosh, I could go on, but I'll stop here for now. There are too many to list!
Mereth'iel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 12:51 AM   #5
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Let's see:<P>First shot of Aragorn.<P>"You shall not pass!"<P>Bilbo's "transformation" at Rivendell. (OK, lots of you thought it was lame, but I kinda thought it was cool...AAAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!)<P>Yes, Pippin's expression when Gandalf reams him out in Moria.<P>And I mentioned it once before, but the two shots of that little "hobbit-lass" when Bilbo was telling his story at the Party. She was sooooo cute, me and my friend both went "Awwwwwwww!"<P>(Then I elbowed her and said "You just had to go and have all boys!" She says: "I know...I know...")
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 02:56 AM   #6
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I agree with you on Bilbo's transformation at Rivendell. (Actually it scared the cr@p out of me! So did his "It's my own...my precious..." at Bag End. *shiver*) And here's some more I just remembered:<P>Sam's face when Frodo tells him to go and have a dance with Rosie.<P>Pippin: I think I broke something... *pulls out carrot*<P>Merry saying "Mushrooms!"<P>Sam's face right when he gets saddled with Merry and Pippin's stolen goods and Farmer Maggot is coming after him.<P>Frodo's face when he woke up in Rivendell.
Old 03-02-2002, 03:10 AM   #7
andhiriel greenleaf

Silmaril

1. When the fellowship spent the night at Lothlorien and Legolas heard the chant. His expression was great, like sad but also relief. <BR>2. When Legolas was at the arrow point when they just entered Lothlorien. <BR>3. When Aragorn ordered Boromir to give the ring back to Frodo. <BR>4. When Frodo was about to slipped his finger into the ring at Bree. Well, probably because that shot is in everywhere movie magazine I saw.
Old 03-02-2002, 10:43 AM   #8
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Boots

Galadriel's face when she says "He has fallen into shadow."<BR>Legolas' face when he sees that Boromir is dying.<BR>Aragorn looking up with tears running down his cheeks right after Boromir has died & Aragorn as he watches the boat that carries Boromir disappear. <BR>Elrond cocking his eyebrow as the Hobbits run out from their hiding places. <BR>Arwen when she is trying to revive Frodo at the Ford (yes, I know that pretty much everyone at this forum hated her modified role-well, bah humbug!). <BR>And, of course, the many great moments that Gandalf has. But the one that hasn't been mentioned so far comes after he yells at Bilbo; when his features soften and he says, "I'm trying to help you." I had an urge to run up and hug him myself. <P>...Humph, I think all doubt has now been erased; I really do need to join a 12-step program!<p>[ March 02, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 03-02-2002, 01:40 PM   #9
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorites:<BR>1. Elrond's facial expressions at the council.<BR>2. The arrow going by Elrond's head.<BR>3. Legolas' reaction to the balrog.<BR>4. Legolas' reaction when he realizes he's aiming at Elves.<BR>5. Pippin & Merry getting caught by Gandalf.<BR>6. Gimli as he says "No one tosses this dwarf!"<BR>I shall stop now, but I could go on all day!
Old 03-02-2002, 03:48 PM   #10
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

when flame lights Aragorn's face<BR>
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 09:59 PM   #11
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

These are all so great - it once again reinforces my idea of... an expression can be more expressive than one thousand words!<BR>Ya'll have reminded me of others of my favorites.<BR>I personally think that Ian McKellen should win the Oscar simply for the "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" shot. It's powerful!<BR>I know it's an interesting & different topic, that's why I chose it
Old 03-03-2002, 10:16 PM   #12
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So Many ! Here are just a few:<BR>- Elronds face at the council when hobits pop up.<BR>- Merry: I think I've broken something (pulls out carot)<BR>- no one tosses a dwarf<BR>- I don't know half of you half<BR>as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. <dead silence from the crowd><BR>-I am going alone to Mordor, Sure you are, and I'm coming with you.<BR>-Anything where Frodo is smiling
Old 03-03-2002, 11:10 PM   #13
shire....baggins...

Tolkien

When Frodo cracks up after Gandalf trys to pull a fast one on him at the beginning
Old 03-03-2002, 11:34 PM   #14
Mereth'iel
Pile O'Bones

Mereth'iel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just thought of another one. The way Gandalf shuts his eyes when he hears Frodo voluteering to take the Ring back.
Mereth'iel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 11:36 PM   #15
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I don't know half of you half<BR>as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That line is so funny. One of my favorite parts, in fact. I burst out laughing in the theatre. Everyone else gave me strange looks.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:05 AM   #16
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In no particular order:<P>Hmmm....I could do a shot by shot dissection of the movie for this:<P>I love Gandalf's facial expressions when:<P>Frodo runs up to him: "You're late"<P>"A Wizard is NEVER late, Frodo Baggins." <P>The look on his face when Proudfoot(Proudfeet!) glares at him after Frodo tells him he has been 'officially labelel a disturber of the peace.'<P>When he sets off the fireworks, for the hobbit children in the lane, and at the party. And those hobbit children are so freakin adorable.<P>"Riddles in the dark." "My precious?" "Precious????"<P>"No longer Frodo. The Ring has heard its Master's call."<P>"BILBO BAGGINS! DO NOT TAKE ME FOR A CONJURER OF CHEAP TRICKS!"<P>And of course:<P>"FLY YOU FOOLS!"<P>Galadriel staring into the screen and saying "he has fallen into Shadow."<P>The Defeat of Sauron. <P>Galadriel's narration: "Nine were gifted to the race of Men, who above all desire <I>POWER.</I>"<P>Frodo's: "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" The look on Aragorn's face, arrows flying around, and Boromir calling to Aragorn after he's grabbed Frodo and run out into the Dimrill Dale.<P>There are so many. So many.<P>Galadriel kissing Frodo's head and saying: "namarie." Elijah said he developed a crush on Cate after that scene...I could understand why.<P>The Mines.<P>I don't mind Arwen. And I am not a 14 year old male, either... <P>The riding of the Nazgul from the Morgul Gate;<P>"You can no longer wait for the Wizard, Frodo. They're coming." (we next see Harry getting flattened at the Bree gate as the Wraiths break it down and ride him down).<P>The look in Saruman's eyes. Total <I>cold</I> malice and madness.<P>"Leave it! It is over. The world of Men shall fall, and my city come to ruin."<BR>"I would've followed you, my brother...my captain....my <I>king</I>."<BR> <P>Frodo and Sam preparing to climb down Emyn Muil: "Mordor. I hope the others find a safer road." "I don't suppose we'll see any of them again."<P>The arrows hitting Boromir;<P>The sneering Lurtz, pulling back his bow to finish off Boromir.<P>Aragorn batting the knife from the air that Lurtz has removed from his thigh.<P>Bruinen engulfing the Nine.<P>So, soooo many.<BR>

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 12:24 AM   #17
Gorin Icearms
Haunting Spirit

Gorin Icearms has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When Gimli's falling and someone (it was fast and I kinda wasn't paying attention) grabs his beard and he goes, "NOT THE BEARD!"<p>[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: Gorin Icearms ]

Oh hey, I'm a wight now. WORSHIP ME IN ALL MY WIGHTNESS!!! MUAHAHAHA!!
Gorin Icearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 01:14 AM   #18
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Reading some of these I now realize that I have every intention of bursting into tears the nest time I see this film. *sniffle*<P>Some more from me:<P>Anytime a hobbit smiles! <P>Right before they go into Mordor, Frodo's "I'm glad you're with me, Sam."<P>And for those who can't see, what about some fave "one-shots" soundwise? Here's some of mine:<P>Pippin: Merry...I'm hungry.<P>Gandalf: YOU...SHALL NOT...PASS!!!<P>Frodo: *screaming at Kazad-dum* (It makes me want to cry everytime.)<P>Boromir: ...my king!..<P>Boromir: *holding the ring* ...for such a little thing... *shiver*