The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2003, 06:55 PM   #1
Dain
Wight

Dain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The North--Rohan and Wainriders

I have been wondering a bit about where the Rohirrim came from. Yes, yes, the North, I know, and the "Vales of Andiun." But that doesn't seem like a good place for horse-lords to come from, and they were horse-lords before riding south, I assume. There doesn't seem to be much room on the west side of Green/Mirkwood for them. Discussing the East side raises questions about the age of the Kingdom of Dale and all that. Does anybody have any firmer picture of where Eorl lived before he brought his people to Rohan?

And a short bit about the Wainriders: doesn't that mean "wagon-riders"? I admit, it's always sounded like a good name for what I picture as the ME equivalent of the Mongols, but then I wondered about it, and...wagons? Ah, my dictionary says it could also mean a chariot, which was a popular convayance of war in the olden days. I'm satisfied now. But not about the Rohirrim... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2003, 08:56 PM   #2
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You're right about the "wainriders'- in UT they are reffered to as war-chariots and cavalry, so I guess it's a general term used to describe mounted warriors(of the enemy). Also in UT it describes the northmen as those who formerly dwelt in the "wide plains between Mirkwood and The River Running, great breeders of horses and riders renowned for their skill and endurance,.."

[ March 06, 2003: Message edited by: Pukel-Man ]
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 06:01 AM   #3
Thingol1000
Animated Skeleton

Thingol1000 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the TTT, Aragorn briefs Legolas and Gimli as they wait for the riders to come upon them while tracking/chasing the orcs. Anyway, he says they are kin to the people of Dale I beleive. I'll go back and check this to make sure, but he does refere to their origens in a general way. Look in that chapter to make sure.
Thingol1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 06:26 AM   #4
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They were descended from the Marachian tribes who either remained in Rhovanion or Eridaor during the great march.
In the S.A, they formed a alliance with the Longbeard dwarves, of Moria, and they populated Rhovanion and I believe the Eastern Bight, until driven out by the Wainriders.

They came to the rescue of Gondor in T.A 2510, at the Battle of Celebrant. They are akin ot the woodmen of Mirkwood, who we here of in the 'Disaster of the Gladden fields' and 'the Hobbit' and the Men of Dale.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 12:41 PM   #5
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought they were desendands of the Men of Gale!?!?

~Burzdol~
Old 03-07-2003, 01:14 PM   #6
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They are related.

Edit: Gale is a typo for Dale isn't it?

[ March 07, 2003: Message edited by: Inderjit Sanghera ]

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote