The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2003, 02:40 PM   #1
lady evenstar
Pile O'Bones

lady evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting if you could be either Eowyn or Arwen which would you be?

I would rather be Arwen because she's an elf and elves are cool.
lady evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 02:44 PM   #2
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

kittygirl02 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittygirl02
Sting

Elves bug me at times because, well I just think that have too many advatages. Like enhanced sight, hearing, lifespan,aging, and looks. But that's probably because I am mortal, imperfect, and sometimes jealous.
But, no dougt, Eowyn all the way. I can relate with her at least..

I may be different, but differences don't make you special.It's what you do with your differences that make you special.
kittygirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:19 PM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Just remember that a lot of Elves would be jealous of you. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, on the topic, though the thought of being either one of Arwen or Eowyn makes my head spin, I'll have to choose Arwen. She pretty much just sits around for thousands of years and then has a big fancy wedding with the King of Men. Eowyn has to put up with a few years of being harrassed by Wormtongue.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:18 PM   #4
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

I like Eowyn well enough, she does some cool stuff. But I would definately say Arwen. I LOVE the elves, and Arwen is one of my favorite characters!! I love the story of her and Aragorn. It is simply beautiful!
Old 10-09-2003, 05:20 PM   #5
Shiva

Sting

As much as I LOVE elves, I have to admit that I would rather be Eowyn in this case. As a human, (and a woman for that matter) in this time, she is the perfect example of strength and courage. Her change also from the cold, lonely shield-maiden to an open-hearted bride to Faramier is truly amazing!

Eowyn is definately my choice! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 05:21 PM   #6
Araathwen

Sting

Arwen most definitely. Even though she takes a mortal life, look who she ends up with!!!

Cheers
Old 10-09-2003, 06:32 PM   #7
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Eowyn for me. She gets to be a hero of the War without getting saddled with the responsibility of being Queen afterwards. Plus, Ithilien would be a great place to live once the Men and Elves spruced it up a bit. And Faramir would be a lovely husband.

Arwen had to wait thousands of years before getting married, got stuck being Queen (formal banquets -- yawn) and then watched Aragorn get old and die in front of her eyes. Sure, he lived much longer than Eowyn or Faramir, but she was married for what, about 4% of her life? And after that she withered away and died. Doesn't sound like so much fun too me.

Cheers!

-Lily
Old 10-09-2003, 06:37 PM   #8
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Yes, well, if you were mortal, then being marriend and dying seems like a long time to a mortal. To an immortal, well, that is like 4% of theire lives, so that would suk.And to Eyown, she was treated harshly, and Faramir saw her inner beauty,and they go married. So, if you were basicly tortured for most of your life, then one person seeing your inner beauty must be a wonderful feeling.(Thsi is coming from a person who struggles with depression, and knows what true sadness and being broken is all about)

I may be different, but differences don't make you special.It's what you do with your differences that make you special.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:41 PM   #9
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

Sting

But when i said inner beauty, i didn't mean it like Eowyn was not pretty or fair. Just that she was cold.

Old 10-10-2003, 05:41 AM   #10
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eowyn. More interesting life, more involved. It's quite tempting to be an elf and queen, but Eowyn's life is less tragic. Plus I rather prefer human, I think. And Faramir.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:03 AM   #11
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Most deffinetly Eowyn . Firstly I'm not so graceful and feminine in my actions , and besides I think it is quite boring to live forever , so I'll pass the life of an Elven princess .
And secondly - I do not live without horses and if to live somewhere than it must be among horses [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

-Ophelia-
Old 10-10-2003, 12:22 PM   #12
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Meither am I. not so graceful or feminine iny my actions, but I have my moments.
I think every girl at some point has some moment of femininity, but some people try to steer away from it so that they look like tomboys.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:37 PM   #13
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Eowyn, definatley. She sure had guts.
I'm not too fussed about being an elf, I certainly wouldn't want to live forever and see everything I love pass on. Although Eowyn had a hard life, she got her man and stuck to what she believed in. She was vert determind and brave, and I can identify with her when she is called 'cold'.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:54 PM   #14
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Quote:
Meither am I. not so graceful or feminine iny my actions, but I have my moments.
I think every girl at some point has some moment of femininity, but some people try to steer away from it so that they look like tomboys.
Why are you spying on me?

But to stay on topic, Eowyn for sure! I love her, she's my favourite female character ever! She's so cool. She's a warrior, but feminine at the same time. She can still love, even though she seems so cold. And in the end, she gets her prince (or should I say steward [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) on a white horse... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

She's most like me. Both in character (really, I'm almost exactly like her! the only thing being I don't wear, and hate!, skirts and dresses), and appearance in a way. I mean, I'm not as tall and fair as her, but I've got the same hair and eyes. Now I only have to learn Old-English, and I'm ready! Serious, even before I knew Old-English was the language of the Rohirrim, I already wanted to learn it. Isn't that a coincidence or what? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Navaer!

Aethelwine.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:25 PM   #15
andreadawn
Pile O'Bones

andreadawn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, it depends on whether we're talking about the book-world or the movie-world. In the book world I'd rather be Eowyn, she's a corageous, complicated woman. However, in the movie world I would rather be Arwen, so I could play in all those scenes opposite Viggo.*now making the sound Homer makes when he sees a donut*
Old 10-10-2003, 03:28 PM   #16
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

Sting

MMMMMMM..classic

Old 10-10-2003, 06:29 PM   #17
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Eowyn all the way!

Honestly, who would want to sit around for a century and weave a banner???? I mean, it's like, come on girl! Get a friggin' life!!!!!!!!

Eowyn, on the other hand, took charge of her life and took some risks. And she lived in a country teeming with horses!!!! I really think she had a much richer, and fuller life than Arwen did.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 06:31 PM   #18
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Yes, most deffinetly. Her life may have been shorterm but she lived it fuller. In my book, it's what you do, not how long you live.

Old 10-10-2003, 07:33 PM   #19
Shenaran
Pile O'Bones

Shenaran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eowyn for sure...I'm way to bold, I welding a sword and I even kind of look like her.
I have long blond hair.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:35 AM   #20
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Nice.....

Old 10-11-2003, 02:08 PM   #21
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

But Arwen just lazed around for thousands of years in the Elven paradise of Rivendell, soaking up the sun and (probably) reading magazines and eating chocolates, fully content in the knowledge that she was the foremost contender for most gorgeous specimen on Middle Earth.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:06 PM   #22
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

But, Eomer, is that a pro or con? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously, that sounds like a poor sort of life. I hope Arwen didn't spend her 2000-odd years like that. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

-Lily
Old 10-12-2003, 07:42 PM   #23
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

Sting

That's one of the reasons Elves bug me because most of them don't do anything with their lives exept laze about and be sad at the changing world about them.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:16 PM   #24
kittygirl02
Haunting Spirit

Sting

The only Elf who doesn't bug me is Galadriel.At least of the female elves.

Old 10-12-2003, 10:43 PM   #25
Rilarien884
Pile O'Bones

Rilarien884 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Rilarien884 Send a message via AIM to Rilarien884
Sting

Isn't there some happy medium between these two? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Just kidding, I know there isn't. Anyway, I think I'd have to pick Eowyn. Arwen has a great life, being an elf and all, getting hitched to Aragorn, having a great family, awesome abilities, the prettiest elf around, etc, etc, etc, but she didn't have much adventure.

Eowyn stood up for herself, battled with the head honcho of wraiths, could kick butt, and she found herself in a happy ending with Faramir. A harder life than Arwen's, but just as satisfying.

Really, too bad there isn't an in-between cause that would be the best of both worlds doncha think [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

AL
Old 10-12-2003, 11:03 PM   #26
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Éowyn seems to be the most popular choice... and I have to go with the flow. I'm not really anything like her. Okay, I'm nothing like her. Personally, I prefer the kind of lifestyle Eomer describes for Arwen, except I like to write, read or watch movies when I sit around. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] But I find Éowyn more interesting than Arwen, and if I'm thinking about being someone other than myself I may as well go with someone very different. Though, I guess I am somewhat similar to Éowyn in one thing: her desire for adventure and acclaim. Only, I'm happy to live my adventure vicariously though stories, and I want my acclaim to also come from those stories!

But the clincher? She married Faramir! Come on! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] You put book-Faramir's lovely personality with movie-Faramir's good looks and there's no way either Aragorn can compete.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:47 PM   #27
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Eowyn
Because I've liked her in the movies, and I have liked her in the books. She is just so cool. But, yet, she is so much braver than me. Though I do like adventure (just not fighting, unless I am guaranteed survival), but the cool thing that she gets to do is wield a sword, and I would love to do that.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:27 AM   #28
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I actually think Eowyn had the best of both worlds. She got to ride, hunt, fight, etc. along with all the Rohirrim, but later, once she came to Gondor, she got all the adoration from Faramir (and much of Ithilien, I'd say!). That's another reason why I like Eowyn's life more.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:08 AM   #29
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Sting

I think its harsh to criticise Elves because they supposedly 'laze about' and 'do nothing'. If you were stuck on Middle Earth with thousands upon thousands of years ahead of you then you would spend quite a lot of time just walking in the gardens too.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:26 PM   #30
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting

I think I would be... Arwen. Although you would call me a perfectionist, picking the most brilliant, beautiful, and interesting of the two, I still say Arwen for all those reasons. It's a hard choice because Eowyn is so brave, and she's a shield-maiden after all. I guess I just have a bigger liking for Arwen.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:52 PM   #31
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Oh this is easy. I'd rather be Eowyn anyday!
Well, maaaybe Arwen because she gets to become queen of Gondor...Hmph. Aethelwine, Good luck on learning old english! Araathwen, I agree with you completely. And kittygirl02, I feel for ya, hang in there!

Anyhow, Despite the fact that I reallly like the elves, I could never be one myself. I doubt I'd be a numenorean either, but that has no relovence. And Faramir is cool, despite the fact that I turn green at the thought of marrying him...
Old 10-16-2003, 12:32 AM   #32
LainaValinor

Sting

Arwen, without a doubt.
While Eowyn remains high in my esteem, and I think that she is a remarkable, courageous character, I cannot but choose Arwen. My reason, quite simply, is the love factor. She gives up everything (and this includes all the garden-strolling and laments and songs and other sundry Elvish pursuits) that she has known in order to stay with Aragorn. I admire this absolute love, and I can only think it would be an amazing love to experience.

That and I *really* want pointy ears.
Oh. And Aragorn's pretty...well... yeah. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2003, 02:22 AM   #33
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

LainaValinor, I really like what you said!! That's why I'd rather be Arwen, too. You just did a really good job of putting it into words. Oh, and welcome to the 'Downs!!

I like Eowyn a lot, but there are several reasons I'd rather be Arwen.
  • To get to live in Rivendell and Lothlorien!!That would be so wonderful!!
  • She's an elf. (well, half-elven. Close enough.) I absolutely love the elves!
  • I'd love to have pointy ears!!
  • Her love for Aragorn. Their story is so beautiful! She gave up so much to be with the one she loved.
  • I also would rather marry Aragorn than Faramir.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:29 PM   #34
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

Hmmm, this is a hard question. If I could choose any race to be, I would be an elf, but my personality is more like Eowyn's. I would like to be a mix between the two, but if I had to choose one, I would be Eowyn.