The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > Haudh-en-Ndengin
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2003, 08:49 PM   #41
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
except one that has been noted by others: the book is too short
MUCH too short! Even at over 1,000 pages, I want the story (like the road) to "go ever on and on". I guess that's why we all read the books over and over (and over and over again). We love these people and places, so even though there are no "new" tales, we keep coming back to visit. We read the commentaries, the companions, Tolkein's letters, his biography, his writings that were not published during his lifetime, and contemplate artists' views, study maps and learn the languages of this world he created, so that we can maintain our presence in this wondrous place.

There is nothing I would omit. There is much that I would like added or expanded upon. But this world is my home, filled with family and lifelong friends. Returning to ME is like returning to your childhood home and finding everything unchanged, just as you remember it.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:10 PM   #42
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Well, alot of stuff in the first half of FOTR could be omitted.
Eeeek! I would have liked Tolkien to add to the books in places. Certainly not delete anything!

For those of you who think the Sil is hard to read, please give it another try. Once you get involved in the tales you won't be able to put it down. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 08:55 PM   #43
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Quote:
gives an extra dimension to the story, so that even though the quest is encompassing, it is not ALL-encompassing
That is one thing that keeps me interested and allows me to reread LotR over and over and over again without getting sick of it. And everytime I reread it, it seems I learn something new or my view on a topic changes.

Quote:
I want the story (like the road) to "go ever on and on".
It does go ever on and on, but where the book stops, our imagination, our mind, picks up. Only each version after the book is bound to be different, and there is no right or wrong since the one person with the right story no longer exists. But isn't that onw of the points of books? To leave the reader with wonder and curiosity? If a book or a story can do that, without leaving you with too much ponder at, then I view it as a great story or book. Has anyone ever read The Lady or the Tiger? There is one classic example. That aspect of a story that is unanswered or unexplained can drive some people nuts and extremly annoy them, however, it makes me feel curious and full of wonder. And even then, your imagination is not enough. So we go back to the books. We read them over and over and over again. It satisfies our hunger for curiosity. And our reading of the books can be a scrutiny to find that answer or explanation...

Well, you get the picture, sorry for rambling.

-Willie
Old 03-10-2003, 08:35 AM   #44
King Fingolfin

Sting

I too would omit nothing. Although Bombadill's chapters in the book are to me somewhat boring they do have some relevance. The fact that he could theoretically hold the ring forever and not feel its influence is important. The council know this, but yet they still apoint the task of destroying the ring to Frodo, because it would not be right to give it to bombadil. This harkens back to what i believe the whole point behind the LOTR and all Tolkeins tales is, People should do the right thing, just for the sake of it being the right thing.

I would also like to know more about, Valinor and how exactlyit was built.