The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2003, 08:49 AM   #1
Potatothan
Haunting Spirit

Potatothan has just left Hobbiton.
Eye Why couldn't Merry ride his own horse to Gondor?

Reading the prologue (sp?) of lotr it says that Bandobras Took was big enough to ride a horse and was only surpassed by merry and pippin in size. So that would mean that Merry and Pippin could ride a horse too. So why does Merry accompany the king on a pony? Was there no other horse availeble for him or something? Kinda silly if you ask me really. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Potatothan

P.S. This is my first book thread, don't shoot me for being ignorant. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2003, 09:01 AM   #2
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Although perhaps Merry and Pippin may have been tall enough to ride a horse, it is probably more of a question of skill. My guess is that neither of them possessed the horseback riding ability to keep up with the Rohirrim.

Could you provide a quote that says that Bandobras Took was capable of riding a full-grown horse? I must have read it, but I forget the exact words. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:20 AM   #3
Falagar
Haunting Spirit

Falagar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Perhaps the entdraught hadn't finished it's work yet (and they took another draught at the end of RotK, if I remember correctly).

And of course it's a matter of skill as well...
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:24 AM   #4
Potatothan
Haunting Spirit

Potatothan has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Well, altough my version is dutch, it kinda translates to this:

Quote:
Prologue page 18 "Conserning Hobbits"

According to the Red Book Bandobras Took, the son of Isegrim the second, was one meter thirtytwo and able to ride a horse. In all Hobbit tales he was passed by just two fameous figures from the elder days: but this extrodenary case is mentioned in this book.
The two ofcourse being Merry and Pippin. Hm, it indeed says he was "able" to ride a horse, but doesn't say that he did it. But that does not have to mean anything.

Merry's love for the king was great, and the king referr's to Merry as a burden. So the king obviously thinks he can't manage riding a horse, which he can because of his height.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:40 AM   #5
Falagar
Haunting Spirit

Falagar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Merry's love for the king was great, and the king referr's to Merry as a burden. So the king obviously thinks he can't manage riding a horse, which he can because of his height.
You need more than height to ride a horse, and as said above it may be that they hadn't grown tall enough yet (it probably took some time)
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:04 AM   #6
Bandobras Took
Pile O'Bones

Bandobras Took has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

i THINK THAT IT WAS JUST that a pony is easy for them to ride than a huge horse
Bandobras Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 03:24 PM   #7
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I'd say that "able to ride a horse" implies that Bandobras actually did it (he's also mentioned in The Hobbit, as being "so huge - for a hobbit - that he could ride a horse.") It would be a strange statement to make if he hadn't actually done so - it doesn't have that obviously-metaphorical feel that something like "He was so huge he could chop down a forest in single day" would have.

As for Merry - just because he's now big enough to ride a horse (he's about the size of some of the smaller jockeys) doesn't mean that he's automatically going to know how to do it, and I'd imagine that riding his pony earlier was a somewhat different experience. To pull him off the pony and put him onto a war-horse would not necessarily produce great results. Furthermore, like anyone who's just had a growth spurt (and he and Pippin have had substantial ones) Merry's probably going to be a bit clumsy in his new body at first; more liable to knock into things or mishandle them. It isn't the time for him to be learning how to handle a new animal in a life-or-death situation, and there's no time to train him.

Now from Theoden's point of view, he's probably just looking at Merry and thinking "Too short, too inexperienced in fighting." It may not cross his mind that technically Merry is big enough to ride a horse, but I doubt that would change his mind if it did. The above objections would probably be enough for him, most notably the one about having no time to teach him.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:38 PM   #8
Teleri
Animated Skeleton

Teleri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not to mention the fact that a horse from Rohan might be bigger than your average horse.
Though you could compare Merry's hieght to a jocky, we must remember that this is War. Perhaps Merry could manage a horse without armour, but throw in that, plus pikes, shields, and swords, and the situation becomes a lot more complicated. He would need a sword much too big for him to even be able to deal a blow.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:35 PM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Even if Merry "trained" night and day, he wouldn't have been able to ride and fight with the cavalry. Most of the Rohirrim were trained since childhood in the use of sword, pike, shield, and warhorse. Merry didn't have that training, and thus, was at a big disadvantage. At best during the final charge, he'd fall off his horse and cause a large-scale riot, because a horse's instinct is to avoid a moving object on the ground, and all the other horses would immediately shy away from him. Now, does Theoden really want that?
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote