The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2003, 11:01 AM   #1
Baran
Haunting Spirit

Baran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Lord of the Ring 4?

I've heard some strange rumors about a new Lord of the Ring movie after the Return of the King. It's supposed to take place after the war is won. Does anyone else know something about this?
Baran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 11:08 AM   #2
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How? Unless they put all the stuff in it that they took out in the original three, there is no material for a fourth movie.<P>Lost Tales, maybe.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:10 AM   #3
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I've heard some strange rumors about a new Lord of the Ring movie after the Return of the King. It's supposed to take place after the war is won. Does anyone else know something about this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hm...interesting...I've never heard that, though....Only that they perhaps are going to make a movie from "The Hobbit". That can also be rumors for all I know.....I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see!<P> <P>Orofâniel<P>Wait and see, <BR>that's how it's supposed<BR>to be!
Old 06-11-2003, 11:19 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A fourth movie would be interesting. What would it include? The children of the original characters? Like Eldarion, Elanor, Elboron, Elfwine, etc. and their adventures? The Children of the Fellowship find a new ring... *dun dun duuuuunnn!*
Old 06-11-2003, 12:11 PM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm pretty sure Jackson has explicitly stated that he would not be involved in any sequel, for the obvious reason that there is no material to base it on. As anyone who's at all familiar with the book knows, Frodo is no longer in Middle Earth at the end. How can you make a movie when the lead character is gone?<P>Of course, New Line does own the rights to this and if they wanted to hire some hack, they could do what ever the hell they wanted but I for one am hoping this is nothing more than a rumour.<P>H.C.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:24 PM   #6
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Of course, New Line does own the rights to this and if they wanted to hire some hack, they could do what ever the hell they wanted but I for one am hoping this is nothing more than a rumour. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>They are not stupid. Making a sequel to a book that is not even written is plane suicide. Many people have their own ideas on how it went on. They can't make it another ring one too, since the ring is destroyed. Even if they did it, it would be a boring movie, unless they made it a comedy of course. But another action/adventure movie is not possible. And since lotr is that category, the movie shall be hated by all. The question is now, if they would make that movie, would you go see it?<P>Suilad,<P>Anuion
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 12:40 PM   #7
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The question is now, if they would make that movie, would you go see it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Probably not. They'd have to be pretty desperate if they had to invent a sequel for LotR. Not only would there be no plot, but the writing would most likely suck. I'd stay at home and watch the <I>real</I> movies. <P>Abedithon le!
Old 06-11-2003, 01:21 PM   #8
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I've heard some strange rumors about a new Lord of the Ring movie after the Return of the King. It's supposed to take place after the war is won. Does anyone else know something about this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If that's true, and Hades has frozen over, these filmmakers are pretty much just speculating on what happens post-WotR and turning it into a movie? Basically... filming a fanfic?<P>Wow, I never thought that would happen.
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 01:40 PM   #9
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>They are not stupid. Making a sequel to a book that is not even written is plain suicide.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Haven't you seen some of the stuff that has came out of Hollywood, I wouldn't doubt that New Line would try to find some other way to squeeze more money out of this phenominon.<P>Especially New Line, haven't you seen some of the other movies that they have made. Some of their films have been the worst failures in Hollywood.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:16 PM   #10
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

PJ is supposed to make The Hobbit after LOTR
Old 06-11-2003, 02:38 PM   #11
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> How? Unless they put all the stuff in it that they took out in the original three, there is no material for a fourth movie. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think that was the best post that I've ever read in the whole forum <P>And if there was a fourth movie, I would go see it just because I'd be courious, but I guess I wouldn't like it and think "now why did you go see that stupid thing?"

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 03:44 PM   #12
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that if the rumour is true, I would do the same: go see it out of curiosity. It would probably be horrible. But I hope PJ makes The Hobbit.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 03:54 PM   #13
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The question is now, if they would make that movie, would you go see it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, I wouldn't as seeing as Tolkien wrote nothing they could base said movie off of!<P> <p>[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: Arathiriel ]
Old 06-11-2003, 08:29 PM   #14
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Could you perhaps be thinking of <I>Ancanar</I>? That "other" Middle-earth-like-in-a-way movie that has been in the works for quite a while?<P>There's a thread about it here somewhere, if you care to search...
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 03:22 AM   #15
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Actually Tolkien began to write a sequal to LotR, I think it is in Morgoths Ring.<BR>It is set about a century after the war of the Ring and Most things are peaceful except for a few groups in Gondor who are modeling themselves after the Orcs, kind of like Demon worship, anyway this just starts to get into the jucy details when it cuts off in mid sentance...jeez, couldn't he have at least finished the SENTANCE!!!!
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 06:48 AM   #16
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

maybe the bit at the end of the rotk (after it actually) where aragorn and arwen get married and their deaths and stuff like that.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:56 AM   #17
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

So you mean the typical Hollywood movie. Boy meets girl, there are some difficulties, but in the end they are allowed to marry. Of course, PJ will leave the part of their deaths out, and the final sentence will be<BR>"And they lived together happily ever on."<P>Cast: Aragorn: Brad Pitt<BR>Arwen: Jennifer Lopez (as in Manhattan Love Story)<P>*YERCH*

Old 06-12-2003, 11:53 AM   #18
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

If (and it's a big "if") they came up with a good, believable story why would it be any worse than any of our RPGs? A lot of them aren't based on anything concrete.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:22 PM   #19
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Exactly, it may be a cash in, dis-respectful to Tolkien, his fans and PJ's work but that does not mean it would be a bad movie! It could work (although I seriously doubt it).<P>Personally I hope that The Hobbit movie will be made. Ian McKellen and Holm plus seven dwarves, Smaug and the Battle of the Five Armies- movie heaven no?<P>Matt<P>PS- And of course Mirkwood, the Eagles, Men of the Dale and Beorn (played by Arnold Swarzanegger- spelt wrong I know)! Sweet...<p>[ June 12, 2003: Message edited by: Mattius ]
Old 06-12-2003, 08:14 PM   #20
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

The Terminator as Beorn!? Um, no.<P>I hope they really do make The Hobbit into a live-action movie. The current animated version really doesn't do it justice. And the "elves" gave me fits. (Though that wasn't as bad as the FotR-TTT animated one...)
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:44 PM   #21
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

Interesting rumour. I hadn't heard it. I had, however, heard a rumour about making the Silmarillion into a movie. I sincerely hope that <i>just</i> a rumour since I have no desire to see one of my favorite books condensed into a movie or two.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:45 PM   #22
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Personally I hope that The Hobbit movie will be made. Ian McKellen and Holm plus seven dwarves, Smaug and the Battle of the Five Armies- movie heaven no? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>11 Dwarves I believe. I think the company was 13 in all 11 dwarves 1 wizard 1 hobbit/burglar. I think I would remember if the company was only 9. That would be too odd people would say Tolkien had a fascination for the number 9.<P>Anyway I have wondered how he would fit the end of the characters (For example Gimli's final resting place.)into RotK, without skipping many decades, but certainly small facts like the one in my example are not even close to the amount of material you need to base a movie on.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:56 PM   #23
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>11 Dwarves I believe. I think the company was 13 in all 11 dwarves 1 wizard 1 hobbit/burglar. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, there were 13 dwarves. The reason they even wanted Bilbo in the first place was because they didn't want a company of 13, because 13 was an unlucky number. Gandalf did not consider himself part of the company, he was just there to accompany them for a while, thats why he left during the journey.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 07:16 AM   #24
tealdude4

Sting

If they do make a sequel to LotR, it had better be based on something Tolkien has written! And if it whern't, its would be a box office <B>suck</B>sess!<P>Yes, New Line are the same people who will be making Rush Hour 3 and possible countless other Rush Hour sequels, maybe even a prequel just to get a quick buck, but there not that stupid. <P>If another movie where to be made, I hope it is The Hobbit. That would be really cool, but PJ can't make it any time soon, since he will be working on the new King Kong movie.<P>If the Silmarillion be made into a movie in any way, I hope it is only part of the Silmarillion, like Beren and Luthien. Personally, I think Turin Turambar's story would make a better movie than Beren and Luthein. That one guy who played Anikin in Star Wars Episode II could play Turin. It would be a success!
Old 06-13-2003, 08:32 AM   #25
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

I dissagree with you on that. It would be better if you used actors that are not very fameous. It just works better. I saw some pictures of fameous actors playing the lotr characters. Like Sean connery playing gandalf and russel crowe playing aragorn. If you would use the un-femous ones, it would be so much better. <P>But I agree that Turin would make a better story, making the whole silmarillion would be impossible, only the ones that have read the books would understand and further more, in the silm, they sometimes skip parts, so that would lead to more confusion.<P>Suilad,<P>Anuion
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 09:50 AM   #26
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Actually, there were 13 dwarves. The reason they even wanted Bilbo in the first place was because they didn't want a company of 13, because 13 was an unlucky number. Gandalf did not consider himself part of the company, he was just there to accompany them for a while, thats why he left during the journey. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah you are probably right. I knew the company was larger then 9, but I was not too positve opn the exact number. Thanks for fixing my mistake. I havn't read the hobbit in a few years.
Old 06-14-2003, 01:46 PM   #27
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

There would be some sort of weird outcry over the fact that Turin marries his sister though. I do agree that it would make a better movie. Beren and Luthien would be reduced to a sappy love story onscreen. (and we all know I would HATE that.)
Old 06-17-2003, 04:25 PM   #28
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

The brother marrying the sister, I can just hear the outcry's of horror now from the housewives of middle-America. *Shudders*<P>Yeah I think there is enough to make a Turin film, perhaps it could be called <B>Narn I Hin Hurin-</B> <I>The Tale of the Children of Hurin</I>.<P>It could depict the story from Hurin and the Battle of Unnumbered Tears to his death at Turin's grave. Cate Blanchet could do a narrative before to quickly explain Morgoth and the War of the Jewels.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:39 PM   #29
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> That one guy who played Anikin in Star Wars Episode II could play Turin. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Are you <I><B>MAD</I></B>!? No Star Wars actors! There are enough comparisons as it is!<P>I agree with you, Mattius. The housewives of middle-earth--oops, I mean middle-america--would ban the movie because of Nienor/Niniel and Turin's marriage. Not that I personally think it's that great either, but one has to grant that neither of them realized that they were sibs.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:14 PM   #30
Froda

Sting

no not really. but hey...it might work. but i thought that was already going to be in the ROTK??!?!?!?! hmmmm...i have some reading to do!!!<P>
Old 06-18-2003, 09:43 AM   #31
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> hat one guy who played Anikin in Star Wars Episode II could play Turin. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Common, that guy is ridiculous! I mean, I always imagined Turin as a fighter with, well muscles and all (not the Schwarzenegger style, but well-trained) and not such a mummy's boy. He looks like a kid, he couldn't play Turin.<BR>(I respect your opinion, but to me it sounds impossible)

Old 06-18-2003, 11:04 AM   #32
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Definitely not Hayden Christensen! If you guys don't kill me, but could Johnny Depp play Turin? He plays the "brooding guy" well enough. And for Tuor, how about Orlando Bloom? The two could pass for brothers.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 11:55 AM   #33
helkahothion

Eye

Orlando? You fallen out of a tree? That will send all the stupid annoying people scraming: Hey look, Legolas! I'd rather not go to the embarresment of telling the whole theater they are wrong again.<P>Hm, Hurín eh. Muscled, but still fast. Arnold swarzenegger in his Krosan times would be perfect. But since he is all fat and no muscles, hm Maybe (don't shoot me) Vin Diesel. Okay, he talks like a mummy, but the guy never had many lines.<P>Suilad,<P>Anuion
Old 06-18-2003, 12:09 PM   #34
TealDude4
Animated Skeleton

TealDude4 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok, I will explain why I said Hayden Christensen. The aspect of his acting that I like is when bad things are happening to him and he has no idea why. Bacically, thats what happens to Turin a lot.<P>About there being an outcry over Turin accidentally marrying his sister, please excuse my mentioning the parallels to Star Wars, but there was the entire Luke and Liea thing for Star Wars, and nobody said anything about that, but that was the 70s and this is the New Millenium, so things have changed, I guess.
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fail. And we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. This day, we fight!"
TealDude4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 12:10 PM   #35
Frodo Brandybuck
Pile O'Bones

Frodo Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

There is enough additional information for a 4th LOTR movie. If you get the huge volume books that contain all the things taken out of the books, and take a look at the time line in the back of the 1 volume lotr book, you have enough to make a 4th movie. Although why PJ would do that no one knows. I also heard that PJ does not currently have any plans for the Hobbit.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:14 PM   #36
helkahothion

Eye

Of course you can make a 4th movie. But the movies should also be attracktive for the people that have not read the books. So making a movie about how the shire blossomed again, would not get big bucks, and sadly, that is what the business is all about.<P>Suilad,<P>Anuion
Old 06-18-2003, 12:19 PM   #37
Frodo Brandybuck
Pile O'Bones

Frodo Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Trippo the Hippo= Anyway I have wondered how he would fit the end of the characters.(For example Gimli's resting place.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Gimli has no resting place. When Aragorn died, Legolas built a gray ship and sailed to the undying lands. Gimli was with him. Thus, Gimli has no resting place.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:24 PM   #38
helkahothion

Eye

Yes he did. Valinor
Old 06-18-2003, 12:39 PM   #39
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Sting

Helka's right, he died in Valinor, and unless they let his body rot on the floor, most likely buried him.<P>How about a mini-film of the Scouring of the Shire?
Old 06-18-2003, 12:43 PM   #40
helkahothion

Eye

Thanks Matthius BTW, what happened to the other chicken? Killed it? Would not be surprised, he was very dissobedeant at the party.<P>Hm, it could be a movie, but it would be way to short. You would need something more, and for that, there is no further information. Or not reliable enough for that matter. Like I said, the movie must bring in bucks.<P>Suilad,<P>Anuion