The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies > Sequence-by-Sequence
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2005, 04:15 PM   #1
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand Feedback and Suggestions

This thread does precisely what is says on the tin. Use it to provide feedback or make suggestions concerning the sequence-by-sequence project.

I'll start us off on a positive note. Well done, alatar, on getting the ball rolling (and thanks too to Mister Underhill for your help on the project). So far, things look to be going swimmingly. A very high calibre of posts (just as I would expect from my fellow Downers ) and the comments that have been made so far are just the sort that I would hope and expect to see in a discussion of the films.

Good stuff!
Old 10-23-2005, 08:42 PM   #2
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I'll second that positive comment of SpM's. Congratulation on getting it up and running alatar. Even though I only scanned it, the posts look exactly like what I've come to expect from my fellow Downer's. I love that you started this because I've wanted to do something like this for the movies for a long time. Congratulations once again.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
I wonder if we shouldn't push this week's sequence to next week on account of the holidays. There's been very little discussion on Sequence 10, which I'm sure can be chalked up to the difficulty of getting online during this busy season.

Plus, pushing a week would have the added selfish benefit of giving me more time to catch up.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm open to moving it ahead a week - gives me more time to actually write it....

And sorry to all in regards to replying to much on the SbS. Time in December has been very limited.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm going to post the last FotR sequence thread next week instead of tomorrow. Want to spend more time with it and also catch up on some thoughts pertaining to previous threads.

I will be posting the TTT sequence list soon. Let me know if you have any ideas regarding the sequence grouping. One thing that I would like to avoid is very long sequences, as I tend to write more than may be appreciated, and by the time one finishes my pages-long tirade, he/she no longer has the soul to post .
Old 01-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
One quick comment. The sequences are becoming a bit too long. I wouldn't care if I had a lot of time on my hands but I am really busy so it would be easier for me if the sequences were just a little shorter.
It is only a suggestion so you can ignore it if you want.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

I would wholeheartedly agree. The sequences are far too long, and as a consequence the opening threads are too many pages and too wordy, and I feel bad for those masochists who read them. The TTT sequences will be shorter.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:12 AM   #8
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Ttt

The TTT sequence list will be up by 1-Feb-06 and the discussion of the first sequence will begin the following week on 8-Feb-06.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Hey, just want to give some encouragement by saying that I have enjoyed the discussions immensely so far and I really enjoy reading alatar's opening posts. Especially the stuff about Elrond and that day 3000 years ago. I actually laughed out loud, which never happens when I'm on the computer. Anyway, kudos to you guys for starting the discussions and keeping this going!

Looking forward to discussing TTT, but if you'll excuse me, I must go and sink my teeth into FOTR-Seq 13.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

TTT sequence note

While hammering away at the TTT sequence list I've noticed a few things: Not all sequences will be exclusive to one of the three story lines, not all sequences will be short and there just seems to be more scenes than in FotR. Couldn't be due to the extended running time, could it?

Also note that some changes will be made as detailed review of the sequences occur. Plus, suggestions are always most welcome....

Last edited by alatar; 02-01-2006 at 03:10 PM.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #11
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
I was just thinking... given that the discussion seems to have slowed down from previous sequences, what if we slow down the new sequences as well? that'd give us time to discuss things better before yet another sequence is brought up.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #12
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
It sounds like a good idea for me. I would like that because I'm approaching that hectic time of the year and I don't have as much free time.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:29 AM   #13
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Not sure what to do. Not much action in the SbS, but I'm not sure if extending the time between the sequence posts will make any difference.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:37 AM   #14
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Maybe changing the dynamics somehow? I find that there is not much to comment on sometimes...
Old 03-14-2006, 12:05 PM   #15
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Not sure what you mean. I'm willing to try anything to spark some discussion.

Thanks for your comments and concerns. - alatar
Old 03-14-2006, 12:19 PM   #16
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, right now we have one big post depicting the scene (and your reactions) and then we comment on the scene or the post itself... maybe we should change that somehow? the only problem is that I don't know how to make it better.... but perhaps you (or anyone) could get his hands on the script for the movie and use it as an introduction and then each of us can comment on it?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #17
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Are you stating that I provide too much detail, making so that there's not much more to say? I can try cutting the initial post down a bit, withholding some of my commentary until a bit later to push things along.

What if I were to provide a simple outline for the sequence, highlight a few things then let that sit for a day or two, afterwhich come back in with some more?

Want to try it this week?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #18
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, your posts are good and extensive enough that we can comment on them. What I was wondering is what would happen if we had the script to comment on it (given that we can't put up the actual scene on the forum).

But maybe if you give a summary of the scene first and your post then (no need to wait) we'll be able to comment on both separately.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
alatar, it would be a shame to leave out your wonderful comments in the introductory posts! Speaking from my experience in carrying the CbC discussions over a length of time, I can only encourage you to keep going. Not all who read can participate at that time. Some catch up later, and some join again in a future favourite scene. Slowing down the discussions there didn't seem to help much. However, when you need a break, do take one.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #20
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

"I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous," one once said, and I'm just exploring ways in which to encourage participation in the SbS.

As I would like always to be improving, I appreciate the insights, differing POV and even critisicms (not that anyone has), and am willing to experiment with how the information is presented. My concern is that the SbS devolves into a monologue, and that wouldn't be therapeutic for me as I'm already talking with and to myself enough as it is.

And, to note, others has told me before that I tend to be a bit lengthy in my prose .
Old 03-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #21
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
"I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous," one once said, and I'm just exploring ways in which to encourage participation in the SbS.

As I would like always to be improving, I appreciate the insights, differing POV and even critisicms (not that anyone has), and am willing to experiment with how the information is presented. My concern is that the SbS devolves into a monologue, and that wouldn't be therapeutic for me as I'm already talking with and to myself enough as it is.

And, to note, others has told me before that I tend to be a bit lengthy in my prose .

alatar, I actually preferred the longer, richer posts that you had in the FOTR section. They made me notice lots of little details and it seems they sparked more debate too. THe TTT posts feel a bit quick, to be honest - and a result, I don't think we get as much to look at.

Just my thoughts, of course.
Sir Kohran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:39 PM   #22
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Kohran
alatar, I actually preferred the longer, richer posts that you had in the FOTR section. They made me notice lots of little details and it seems they sparked more debate too. THe TTT posts feel a bit quick, to be honest - and a result, I don't think we get as much to look at.
Thank you for your input. I felt that some posters were put off by the seven+ pages of endless rambling in FotR SbS. I do agree that the TTT sequences seem a bit small by comparison, and though it's helped as I've had to spend less time writing them, maybe they're too small.

I'll see if there are some sequences that we can combine. Suggestions?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #23
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Silmaril

LotR2-TTT-Seq10 will be posted 18-April-06. I'm hoping to catch up on some previous posts in the interim.

Anyone celebrating any holidays in the near future, well, "Happy whatever that would be!"
Old 07-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #24
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

I'll soon be posting the RotK sequence list. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Also, note that the shorter scene sets as seen in TTT work well for me. I'm able to get the threads out consistently (well, most of the time ) with all of the 'life' that continually tries to get in the way, and so I hope that that works for you as well.

Thanks for all of the posting.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:46 AM   #25
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Great job, alatar. Keep it up.

Quote:
Thanks for all of the posting.
I am sorry that I have not been contributing more (or contributing at all ), but rest assured that I am reading and enjoying.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:44 AM   #26
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Note that this week's post will be, to use an American football term, 'punted' to next week as I've gotten behind in pretty much every area of my life due to some travel. See you next week.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #27
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

This week's (27-Dec-2006) post is running behind. Should be up by tomorrow.

Last edited by alatar; 12-27-2006 at 08:01 PM.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:16 PM   #28
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

RotK Seq23 is running a bit behind. Hope to have it up soon.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #29
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

The last RotK sequence is delayed by a week. Sorry, but wayfaring, work and wild winter weather are all conspiring against me, and I'd hate to give my last thread short shrift.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #30
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
I'd like to kick off this hopefully long list of thanks to Alatar for the last 17 months or so inside the movies

The dedication and work that has gone behind each 'Chapter' startup from Alatar was inspiring.

Even though we have already done these movies to death on these boards (I can vaguely remember something about the gandalf / WK fight??) - it was stil good to go back over 'old' ground in a structured order, and to see new comers join in and add their viewpoint.

I hope to see these posts updated now and then by new people and old just like is done on the lotr book chapter by chpter discussions.

So as long as the Downs last, Alatar, you have left a great legacy for newcomers and old alike to continue discussions on the movie adaptation of the Best book ever written on this little rock of ours.

Well done again. If you're ever around the London UK area Alatar, drop me a line and I'll buy you a pint or two in celebration!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #31
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Must chime in: spectacular job, alatar!

I still fondly recall laughing hysterically -- truly out loud, no less -- at the repeated references to Elrond's glares and how he must have been thinking back to "that day 3000 years ago".

I know it's been kind of a tough job as interest was very high at the beginning, then dwindled down and hasn't been totally resurrected. But we've had some great discussion from beginning to end, and alatar has done a great job guiding us through it. It's hard to believe we've been going at this for as long as we have.

Looking forward to The Hobbit SbS discussion, which, alas, won't last nearly as long, but what's a Peredhil to do? Again, many thanks to all who posted, and especially to alatar for spearheading the whole operation! Elen sila lumenn omentialvo!

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #32
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up

May I add my heartfelt thanks and admiration, alatar, for a sterling job in moderating this discussion. I have not been able to contribute as much as I would have liked, but have read all the contributions with interest. And your introductory posts have been a (more or less) weekly highlight.

And I do believe that you have taken the noble art of picking nits to a higher level.

Great job!
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #33
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Thanks again to you all.

Please note that there is no need to continue to send me movies of yourselves bouncing upon a bed with an 'alatar' cutout - I get it, you're excited and happy for me and the SbS and so how else would you express yourself, but...your notes of thanks are more than enough.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:11 AM   #34
monay
Newly Deceased

monay is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
links

hi
good morning

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 08-15-2009 at 03:51 AM. Reason: link removed from post by moderator
monay is offline   Reply With Quote