The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #2521
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
DIAMOND is indeed graphite with rearranged particles - but it's the precise clan she belongs to that will give you the final answer to clue 1.
Long Cleeve, then?
Old 11-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #2522
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nearly. What kind of Tooks were the Tooks of Long Cleeve? ( You need a directional word before Tooks. The _____-Tooks).
Old 11-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #2523
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

As we're on a new page ...

1. Rearrange graphite for a thain’s bride – and she’s one of these!
ISENGRIM (TOOK): Harsh metal, poetically, forms him.
PEARL (TOOK): Add liquid to fruit for her.
PALADIN (TOOK): Regal dwelling loses this French racket for him.
5. Whisky-based tipple is heard to suffer ovine extraction, but through turmoil finds direction for him.
PERVINCA TOOK: A ghazal would do this here.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #2524
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
North-Tooks. Had to search for that one.

And PIPPIN for the second password.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #2525
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

NORTH-TOOKS: Rearrange graphite for a thain’s bride – and she’s one of these!
I: Whisky-based tipple is heard to suffer ovine extraction, but through turmoil finds direction for him.

Right both times! Well done.

The remaining clue is the hardest, but you'll find the answer in the same place as the others.

I had to invert the password because to use the 'ghazal' clue, Pervinca Took had to come at the end.

Oh, and not only are there no Tooks with names beginning with N, there is only one hobbit! Nob, one of Barliman Butterbur's helpers. So the North-Tooks came to the rescue. I wanted it to be all Tooks if possible.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 11-30-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #2526
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Want to guess the remaining clue?
Old 12-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #2527
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Well I narrowed down the list of Tooks to those who start with I, but being quite unversed in tipples I have not been able to figure out the actual clue, so guessing the answer by a flip of a coin feels like cheating at this point. I may as well post the entire list for you to pick from. I've tried looking up various such drinks, but most of the names don't appear to be long enough or have the right letters. I'm just probably not looking for the right sort of tipples.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #2528
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I thought that might be the reason. And I certainly don't want to encourage underage drinking! But just as a clue, google for a tipple which is a whisky-based liqueur, and is only one word long.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #2529
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Isambard is not far off being an anagram of Drambuie but I can't understand the sheepy bits so maybe not.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #2530
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I thought that might be the reason. And I certainly don't want to encourage underage drinking! But just as a clue, google for a tipple which is a whisky-based liqueur, and is only one word long.
It's not even that, it's just that I am terribly ignorant in some areas of life.

Didn't find anything yet that would match any better than Drambuie, but I did find a liqueur called "Flaming Pig". Not sure why anyone would want to drink that.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #2531
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yes, Isembard from Drambuie. (Isambard is the Brunel spelling, but I'd used that clue once before - sounds like a Tookish engineer, or something).

The sheep bit is 'ewe' because it sounds like U. I did start with 'yew,' but reading that the yew tree is highly poisonous, I didn't want to mention it in the same sentence as a drink (yes, I'm weird).

I probably indicated the S by saying add direction - I can't see my clues on my phone at this point without a lot of scrolling.

Well done both, and over to Galadriel!
Old 12-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #2532
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

NORTH-TOOKS: Rearrange graphite for a thain’s bride – and she’s one of these!
ISEMBARD (TOOK): Whisky-based tipple is heard to suffer ovine extraction, but through turmoil finds direction for him.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #2533
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Well done both, and over to Galadriel!
Thank you muchly!

This password is rather weird and might be a bit tricky, so I will gladly give hints if you find you need them. I'm not sure how difficult the password as a whole actually is.

1. Finnish invention replaced article with conjunction, tangled lord.
2. Hobbit's reflection confuses action and location of fish.
3. Rodent jumped back after girl beguiled Elves.
4. Small big boy girl puzzled king.
5. I replaced you in plant part before exclamation was heard by hobbit.
6. Leave in the middle of a bargain? Don't want to share assets.
7. Science fiction princess lies back on top of sacrificial table for a crowned maiden.
8. One of stone folk stumbles over nomad wizard.
9. Revive muddled point, get near-palindrome.
10. Dazed, cropped element joins thankless star for smith.

Enjoy!
Old 12-07-2015, 11:45 AM   #2534
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wonder if 2 could be POLO, from pool and the fact that continued action is on a loop? Could pool being loop backwards be the reflection bit?

3. Annatar. Anna plus rat backwards, for the form of Sauron that tricked the elves.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 12-07-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #2535
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

4 is Deagol. Go in the middle of deal.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #2536
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Only 2/3, I'm afraid.

3. ANNATAR Rodent jumped back after girl beguiled Elves.
6. DEAGOL Leave in the middle of a bargain? Don't want to share assets.
7. Science fiction princess lies back on top of sacrificial table for a crowned maiden.

2 is the weirdest clue there. It's like the North-Tooks clue in the last password - I had to find a way to make something fit when nothing did. If it is too difficult, I will alter the clue to make it easier.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #2537
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

There's The Golden Perch - Pippin reflects on the beer there. Not going there confuses the action, as they take a short cut and get lost ....
Old 12-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #2538
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
There's The Golden Perch - Pippin reflects on the beer there. Not going there confuses the action, as they take a short cut and get lost ....
Not the Golden Perch either. I suggest ignore the word "reflection". It's a directive word that should be applied to your answer from the rest of the clue.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #2539
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I think 7 is Alatariel. The only science fiction princess I know of is Leia, and an altar is a sacrificial table. At first I thought I was lacking an A, but Altariel and Alatariel both seem to exist as maiden with a glittering garland (Galadriel).

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 12-07-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #2540
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

7. ALATARIEL Science fiction princess lies back on top of sacrificial table for a crowned maiden.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #2541
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Not the Golden Perch either. I suggest ignore the word "reflection". It's a directive word that should be applied to your answer from the rest of the clue.
Ah, confustication. That kind of stuffs up my next guess, which was Bywater Pool, which Frodo I think tries to remember in Cirith Ungol and Sam reflects on when suffering thirst in Mordor.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #2542
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Ah, confustication. That kind of stuffs up my next guess, which was Bywater Pool, which Frodo I think tries to remember in Cirith Ungol and Sam reflects on when suffering thirst in Mordor.
Aw man, your guesses are so sophisticated, I wish my clues were that thought-out. It's much simpler than that.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #2543
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Forbidden Pool - where Gollum enjoys a raw seafood platter? I know you said forget reflection, but he's reflecting on the nasssty hobbitses while he chews his dinner. And how he's thinking of throttling them.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #2544
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

It's not a pool or an inn. It has nothing to do with liquids of any kind. Okay, it's a person. Try that.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #2545
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Samwise - sea and swim muddled? Being the location and action of fish.

Although that does have something to do with liquids!
Old 12-07-2015, 03:14 PM   #2546
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1. The SAUNA is a Finnish invention. Lose A (indefinite article), add the conjunction OR, and scramble it to get SAURON.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #2547
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

1. SAURON Finnish invention replaced article with conjunction, tangled lord.
7. ALATARIEL Science fiction princess lies back on top of sacrificial table for a crowned maiden.

Quote:
Samwise - sea and swim muddled? Being the location and action of fish.

Although that does have something to do with liquids!
Not Sam himself! Sorry if that was confusing. I thought that an anagram of two such related words is too dear to pass by. I think that has happened once or twice before, but quite rarely!

For the final answer, though, you're looking for the reflection of said hobbit.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #2548
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

It's a great clue!

And I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I started with Santa for the possible Finnish invention, before finding Sauna ... only one different letter ... plus a relocated one ....
Old 12-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #2549
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Could 8 be ISTAR, as an anagram of stair?
Old 12-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #2550
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Sadly not Istar, but indeed a wizard.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #2551
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

5. BILBO! Bulb, with I replacing the U, plus O for exclamation.

Just wondering if the password could be Ringbearers.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 12-07-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #2552
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

5. BILBO I replaced you in plant part before exclamation was heard by hobbit.

The reflection for #2 is quite literal. The answer to the clue is Samwise, but only the reflection will yield the correct password.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #2553
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Can't think of any reflection of Sam that could be the answer. Except, perhaps, his Choices. Unless you're thinking of Frodo as Sam's reflection?
Old 12-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #2554
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

8. I wonder ... perhaps stumbles isn't an anagram indicator ... hmmm ... could refer to Thorin's chance meeting with Gandalf, perhaps ... hazard a guess at Thorin?

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 12-07-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #2555
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Perhaps the reflection bit was unfair. The full answer is Samwise, you don't have to do change anything in it, you just have to reflect it. I think it still counts as a proper answer, full marks, but it was a bit of an unfair question. So I'll give it to you either way, but I'll wait one more post before writing it in (unless you want to keep guessing).

ETA: Not Thorin. You were closer with Istar.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:05 AM   #2556
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Just Samwise spelled backwards? I thought of that, but thought it had to spell something.

Esiwmas?

Olorin for wizard? I can't quite get there, but there is Oin or Ori in his name (dwarves work in stone) or I think trolls are also called Olog-hai. But I can only explain some of the letters, so perhaps not.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #2557
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

2. ESIWMAS Hobbit's reflection confuses action and location of fish.
5. BILBO I replaced you in plant part before exclamation was heard by hobbit.

Samwise is the weird clue. Before writing the clues, I made a list of all - or almost all - possible names that could fit thematically, and out of all of them not a single one had the right letter in the right position. Hence I had to invert Samwise.

You're using the right logic for stone folk, but you haven't found the right folk yet.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #2558
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Did Roverandom become a wizard? One letter from the Rammas (stoneworkers in Gondor) plus over nomad scrambled.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #2559
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

10. Ok, completely wrong, no doubt, but HOED for cropped plus RS (star minus ta, colloquial for thank you), for MAEDHROS, AM or A or M for the element ... dazed I have absolutely no idea.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #2560
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

No cigar. Sorry.

For 8, you're looking for an alternative name for a member of the "stone folk", mixed with a name of a member of a real-world... hmm, what's the word? Ethnic group? That can be described as nomadic to some extent.

For 10, you have the right logic for star, but the wrong word. Once you find the right word, the whole clue will become much easier.